Review: Netflix Player vs Apple TV

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

One thing that occurred to me with Netflix' current pricing is the watch-now service isn't scalable. Where does the money come from to pay for Netflix' bandwidth

I would think it would be obvious that this is a transitional plan. Once you switch everyone over to a online plan, they save the cost of mailing a million dvds a day. Once they have more content, and recent content, they might have online only plans that allow a certain number of views a day, week or month. Right now you have a certain number of dvds allowed out at one time. So, if you figure a 3 at at time plan allows you to view, at max, 6 dvds a week, allowing for turn-around time, they could base it on something like that.

Certainly Netflix created a unique business model when they went to unlimited plans. Hopefully they could do the same with downloads, while avoiding becoming just another pay-per-view option.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beakernx01 View Post

I would think it would be obvious that this is a transitional plan. Once you switch everyone over to a online plan, they save the cost of mailing a million dvds a day. Once they have more content, and recent content, they might have online only plans that allow a certain number of views a day, week or month. Right now you have a certain number of dvds allowed out at one time. So, if you figure a 3 at at time plan allows you to view, at max, 6 dvds a week, allowing for turn-around time, they could base it on something like that.

Certainly Netflix created a unique business model when they went to unlimited plans. Hopefully they could do the same with downloads, while avoiding becoming just another pay-per-view option.

That brings up an interesting and fairly disturbing possibility - if they are starting this service out as a loss leader, who knows if they'll jack up the price once they've sold a bunch of boxes.

It would suck to spend $99 on a box that only streams cheap videos, then either cap the downloads or put the price way up. You're stuck with an expensive paperweight - at least if Apple made iTunes content less appealing, you can still watch your own content from your own drive. And that's assuming they actually improve the selection to something more appealing, which I'm skeptical will happen any time soon (and probably not ever at current prices). I'd have to agree that even if this catches on, I really doubt their business model is sustainable long term.

Or heck, who knows if they'll even be able to keep this around...do you really want to spend $99 to watch a service that could get completely discontinued, making the box absolutely worthless?

The fact is, their DVD unlimited plan isn't really unlimited since you only get 3 disks and it takes time to mail them back and forth. The physical limitation serves as a cap. Not to mention that they don't have to pay the copyright owner for individual views, which is what most companies want for downloads. I don't see how they can keep unlimited download plans indefinitely.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glorfindeal View Post

You forget to mention that the Apple TV allows you to view your own home made videos as well as ripped dvd's in your library. Since I have easily over 200 dvds in my library, this is an important feature.

Glor

Nor should you forget to mention what a royale pain in the arse it is to rip those DVDs and home made videos on to it.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I'm guessing lack of HDCP is a hamper. Them studios sure do like their DRM and other security protocols of dubious worth.

It's always the studios and never the negotiator?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's always the studios and never the negotiator?

In this case yes. HDCP was put in place at the studios insistence. No ability to lock out copying, no HD.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beakernx01 View Post

Hmm... why can't we all just get along? I have been an avid Netflix fan since 1999. I also bought an AppleTV when 2.0 came out. I think they are completely complimentary. I don't see why they don't partner up and allow Netflix Watch Now work over AppleTV. All they need is a browser plug-in for Safari, which has already been seen working on AppleTV with various hacks.

While they are at it, why not do the same for Hulu? Apple could get advertising revenue sharing for views made on AppleTVs. While Hulu is cool for those on the road or living in a dorm room, Hulu is kind of pointless for those with an actual living room who like to watch TV on the couch.

If ATV got Netflix and Hulu, and the ability to browse other TV network web sites, like ABC, I would cancel my cable and use iTunes and the other 2 for all my entertainment.

Hear, hear.

Both of these services would be great. Though I am worried that Apple may be starting to think of themselves as a media distribution company instead of a hardware manufacture. As a manufacture they should be quick to add these services to the aTV, or at least make it easy for someone else to add them. As a media distributer they would see Netflix and Hulu as competitors not partners.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucerads View Post

I received the Roku box last night, set it up...and took it down this morning. Picture quality was terrible, despite going through multiple set-up and connection issues with Roku tech support. They admitted that the Apple Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme base stations had "issues" that had not been resolved. Selection of titles was very limited. I'm returning the Roku today.

I was a sucker to buy the Apple TV last year and have taken that down after regular synching problems that Apple product managers in tech support are not able to resolve. Next step: hook up my Mac Mini and go that route. To Apple TV's credit, when it works, the picture quality is outstanding.

It is a real shame you have had problems with your ATV, I wonder if it is a simply a bad one you have?

Mine has worked from day one perfectly, we watch stunning HD movies most Friday nights (they play within seconds and never glitch) and use it for iLife and iTunes content almost daily. I have never tried watching low resolution movies as I don't see the point hence Netflix equipment seems a bit weird to me.

On the subject of Apple equipment issues: I also have an Airport Extreme working perfectly which has a USB2 hub attached running a TM back up for our MacBook on a 500 GB USB2 hard drive, never failed yet. It also has an Epson printer on this hub accessed by all the Macs we have, two running VMware which also prints to it via Bonjour and a real PC also using Bonjour. Macs range from G4s, Dual G5s and 8 Core mac Pro plus laptops.

I read almost daily about all the issues associated with ATV, AE and TM ... I am always curious how all my gear works flawlessly if this equipment and OS X truly has all the problems I read about. Oh and my iBook G4 and MacBook never have Wi-Fi problems when traveling and link to networks without a hitch. They also always wake up immediately.

I must just be darned lucky I guess?
  • Reply 28 of 28
    It's much more comfortable and convenient to shop online. Saves time and effort. I am grateful we have this program nowadays. This is helping me a lot. I am a busy person and can hardly spare time for shopping.