Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Comments

• Reply 61 of 445
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    If the phone doesn't perform per the user agreement, I think that is theft. Apple is stealing from these people! Thieves!

Maybe someone should ask for a parlay; per the "guidelines." Arrr..
  • Reply 61 of 445
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I disagree. I expect more people right-handers hold a phone with their left hand so as to keep the right hand free for dialing, writing, etc. I know I do.

I am ambidextrous, so I guess I will only be screwed 50% of the time?
  • Reply 63 of 445
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Yeah, I know you didn't mean me. I was just putting that out there. If there's an issue, then there's an issue and Apple will have to deal with. Only question is whether I'll be keeping my phone when it arrives.

Hold there feet to the fire, that's the only way Apple will address it head-on.
  • Reply 64 of 445
    they never realized this bc they had huge cases to make it look like it was a 3gs
  • Reply 65 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post

I showed the Apple Genius how I could get 4 bars when the phone laid on the table and then degraded to "no service" when I held it. I reproduced it a couple of times for him when he admitted he had been seeing it all morning. He said there has not been an announcement from Apple yet.

Meanwhile, there were a few hundred unsuspecting people in line waiting to pick up their probably defective iPhones.

Not getting your iPhone today may be a blessing.

Finally, someone with an actual iPhone 4 talking major sense.
  • Reply 66 of 445
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Tried to reproduce this on my wifes new iPhone. Haven't seen any degradation in signal quality or download speed no matter how I hold it. Even tried moistening my hand and repeating. Maybe it is a very weak effect and you need to be on the verge of losing connection anyway for it to be noticable.

It might be because this issue only affects one of the two bands AT&T uses (800 & 1900). The band you are using at your location might not be affected.
  • Reply 67 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dksmidtx View Post

I think this may be in the OS - I upgraded my 3Gs to iOS4, and now it shows fewer bars (sometimes only 1) in several rooms of my house and at the office, but can still receive/send calls. The bars also randomly decrease and increase without moving locations (or switching hands - ha ha). Anyone else with 3Gs seeing this?

Yeah, that's the iOS4 issue - a cosmetic one - but the iPhone 4 has a separate "real hardware flaw". When both antennas are connected.
  • Reply 68 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

I just returned from the AT&T store and both demo units lost their signal when I connected the antannea with just my thumb on the left side of each.

I am currently waiting for a call from AT&T to pick up my pre-ordered iPhone 4... This is all very concerning.

Indeed.
  • Reply 69 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I disagree. I expect more people right-handers hold a phone with their left hand so as to keep the right hand free for dialing, writing, etc. I know I do.

I do to.
  • Reply 70 of 445
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hold there feet to the fire, that's the only way Apple will address it head-on.

That's not the only way. I think Apple has a pretty good record of making things right when they screw up, especially compared to other companies. Sometimes they are slow to respond, and sometimes fast, but they do make it right in most cases. I don't blame them for taking more time to diagnose and make an official statement about some of the more complex issues. Figuring out the cause isn't always easy.

In any case, I believe that it isn't a fundamental design flaw as not all phones are affected. The poll over at engadget shows some people with the issue, and some without. Was about 50/50 last I checked. And this is only people who took the poll. Plenty of people out there are happy and using their phones with no issue and have no interest in taking a poll when things are working right.

So, Apple will figure it out and do what's necessary. Stay positive people.
  • Reply 71 of 445
    no point
  • Reply 72 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

That's not the only way. I think Apple has a pretty good record of making things right when they screw up, especially compared to other companies.

Mostly so, yeah.
  • Reply 73 of 445
    Quote:

Thank you for repoting this. Won't be forgotten.

Let's see what "solipsism" says now.

I can palm a basketball with ease and have spent the last 30 minutes holding my phone in every position imaginable and haven't seen the bars drop once.

Just my experience.
  • Reply 74 of 445
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Touching it with one finger in the right spot drops calls. The issue will be known by Apple by now.

Yep. Hopefully they will be able to get hold of a faulty one and open it up and have a look inside.
  • Reply 75 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I can palm a basketball with ease and have spent the last 30 minutes holding my phone in every position imaginable and haven't seen the bars drop once.

Just my experience.

I respect your opinion so I'll believe you on that one.
  • Reply 76 of 445
    they field tested it with a case around it to look like a 3gs... so they never experieced the interference issue
  • Reply 77 of 445
    Jobs shows how to hold it right

• Reply 78 of 445
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This is just logic without any electrical knowledge, so it may be BS, but if the antenna is properly connected to the motherboard, wouldn't you have to cover the whole thing to block the signal?

But if it is somehow disconnected then the little hole between the two metal bars (they are no longer antennas) might be the only place reception can get in, so covering it with a finger would cause hang up.
  • Reply 79 of 445
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Is this not a problem when iPhone 4 is held in the right hand?

It seems to be a smaller problem (fewer bars lost) when held in the right hand. It's pretty amazing to see 5 bars disappear altogether in the left hand and then reappear when released. (This is from personal experience.)
  • Reply 80 of 445
    Quote:

I respect your opinion so I'll believe you on that one.

You know I have had more than my fair share of hardware issues with Macs, so I am not about to fib on this. I'll take the thingy out on the town tomorrow to see if I get different results, but so far, it's looking good.

My friend who bought his phone at the same time as I did hasn't mailed me about any trouble yet, so I guess his is OK, too.