AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A purported internal memo to AppleCare representatives explicitly tells employees that the company is not "appeasing customers with free bumpers," and instructs them to advise customers to avoid grasping the lower left corner of the handset.

The document, allegedly obtained by Boy Genius Report, covers the same territory as a statement from the company last week. Apple has advised its customers to avoid gripping the iPhone 4 in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band.

But it also uses strong language to inform AppleCare representatives that Apple is not giving away free protective "bumpers," which the company has said help to alleviate the reception issues.

"We ARE NOT appeasing customers with free bumpers -- DON'T promise a free bumper to customers," the memo reads.

The information follows speculation that Apple could opt to give away its protective bumpers for free, in order to address issues for users who have experienced reception issues with the iPhone 4. Analyst Shaw Wu has said he sees the prospect of Apple giving out free bumper cases as the "worst case" scenario for the company.

Last week, Apple said that any mobile phone experiences connectivity issues when held int he wrong way. In fact, the alleged AppleCare support document advises representatives that users should avoid holding the iPhone 3GS -- last year's handset -- on the bottom right side.

"Gripping almost any mobile phone in certain areas will reduce its reception," the document reads. "This is true of the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS, and many other phones we have tested. It is a fact of life in the wireless world."

It also states that the wireless performance of the iPhone 4 is the best of any handset Apple has ever shipped, and testing shows that the overall performance is better than with the iPhone 3GS. However, the documentation makes no mention of a possible software fix.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 213
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Seriously, this stuff is going to come back to haunt this company. Let's wait and see.
  • Reply 2 of 213
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Seriously, this stuff is going to come back to haunt this company. Let's wait and see.

Unfortunately not. Apple has so much control and error-cushoning cash that I will feel no devastating effects, unless the market completely crashes
  • Reply 3 of 213
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    I have a feeling this won't end well for Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 213
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 165member
    Looks like Lefties are at a disadvantage. I'm sticking with my blackberry until iPhone 5 or 6, I already had the first 3.
  • Reply 5 of 213
    vatdorovatdoro Posts: 52member
    Apple's statement is completely accurate. My iPhone 4 gets much better reception and data speeds than my 3G. Andy Ihnatko, summed it up nicely in his thorough and unbiased review.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...-ihnatko-revie...

In regards to Signal Issues: "Bottom line on this bit: be aware of the problem ... but overall, don?t worry about it."
  • Reply 6 of 213
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    Apple jumping the shark!

let's design an antenna as the frame and not insulate it and not give a shit about the reception quality. just so Jony Ives can jizz himself and explain how important it is to have sex with all different materials.

FAIL

PS - not trolling, big fanboi here. just think this whole episode stinks!

PSS - i hope this can be remedied in a software update so I can feel good about getting the white one.
  • Reply 7 of 213
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

In regards to Signal Issues: "Bottom line on this bit: be aware of the problem ... but overall, don?t worry about it."

Classic Kool Aid logic.
  • Reply 8 of 213
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    A friend of mine who works for Applecare saw the ACTUAL document. And this isn't it.
  • Reply 9 of 213
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Doomed I say! Wait...what?
  • Reply 10 of 213
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Apple's statement is completely accurate. My iPhone 4 gets much better reception and data speeds than my 3G. Andy Ihnatko, summed it up nicely in his thorough and unbiased review.

I wouldn't call Ihnatko's review totally unbiased. He dropped the phone once and the back glass panel broke yet he proceeded to chastise himself.
  • Reply 11 of 213
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    "Bumpers? I don't gots to cho you no stinking bumpers!"

[with apologies to Treasure of the Sierra Madres]
  • Reply 12 of 213
    Oh for the love of god. There is nothing wrong here. People just want something to bitch about for ANY new item.
  • Reply 13 of 213
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

Apple jumping the shark!

let's design an antenna as the frame and not insulate it and not give a shit about the reception quality. just so Jony Ives can jizz himself and explain how important it is to have sex with all different materials.

FAIL

PSS - i hope this can be remedied in a software update so I can feel good about getting the white one.

What episode?

Seriously? The overblown anti-apple rants?

There is nothing to see here. Only a tiny fraction of people are having this issue (of course, the most vocal fraction too it seems) but no amount of 'me too'-ing makes it a significant problem.

My phone does not do this. Does not. At all. And I've tried.

Wow, big fuckup Apple - you accidentally shipped me one of the SECRET WORKING ONES WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER...just like you did to the 99.99% of other first day customers out there.

Get over yourselves before this thread just turns into another 'OMG Apl fa!lz0rz' one...
  • Reply 14 of 213
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Has anyone actually tried this?

I have tried to hold the phone when on a call in the incorrect way, i.e. covering the black strip with the palm of your hand. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! You can't cover the left black strip in your left hand without seriously blocking the phone from reaching your face. It is just not a natural position to hold the phone while on a call. You actually hold the phone with your fingers not your palm.
  • Reply 15 of 213
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amazingdm View Post

Oh for the love of god. There is nothing wrong here. People just want something to bitch about for ANY new item.

You waited three years just to post that? Come on, who are you really?

That being said, I wonder why Daniel Eran Dilger didn't write this piece
  • Reply 16 of 213
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Classic Kool Aid logic.

Do you have an iPhone 4?

Are you able to reproduce this problem?

Or are you just jumping onto this brand new bandwagon?
  • Reply 17 of 213
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Has anyone actually tried this?

I have tried to hold the phone when on a call in the incorrect way, i.e. covering the black strip with the palm of your hand. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! You can't cover the left black strip in your left hand without seriously blocking the phone from reaching your face. It is just not a natural position to hold the phone while on a call. You actually hold the phone with your fingers not your palm.

Umm, it's the natural position to hold the phone when using the Internet -- holding in your palm and using either your left thumb or right hand to operate the device.

Using this method, I go to one bar or no signal which means no internet connectivity.
  • Reply 18 of 213
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Very nice review, but you may want to correct the link?
  • Reply 19 of 213
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

Apple jumping the shark!

FAIL

because it's so rampant?

hundreds of thousands are having the problem?

4's are being returned to their of purchase in huge numbers because users can't make a call?

demand for the product has dropped?

people did not get in line early today because ATT got their walk-in stock?

is it not taking 3 weeks for new orders to ship directly from apple.

if you're a victim, sorry, return it.

while I've seen plenty of people who say they can replicate it, I haven't seen anyone saying they're going to return it.

apple just needs to sit this out and wait. they need to take the return from anyone who wants one and undo any changes to their contracts.

note: there are 3 iphone 4's in my office, neither their owners nor I have seen this problem.. curiously one guy bought a pair for him and his wife.. wife has the problem on either one of their phones, he can't make it happen to save his life
  • Reply 20 of 213
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Classic Kool Aid logic.

You obviously know nothing about Andy I.