iPhone 4 Review: 3 - Camera Photos & Videos

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's fourth generation iPhone is also the company's best mobile camera, whether shooting pictures, capturing video, or enabling video calls with FaceTime. Here's how it compares to the previous iPhone 3GS and other popular camera phones.

In this series

iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish

iPhone 4 Review: 2 - the Phone & FaceTime

iPhone 4 Review: 3 - Camera Photos & Videos

Two cameras, one device

iPhone 4 may do a lot to help erase the market for both standalone point-and-shoot cameras and dedicated Flip-style camcorders. That's a bold statement until you see what kind of photos it can now take. It's not just photo quality either; it's ease of use, convenience, and speed. Taking pictures with iPhone 4 is really fast, with no lag between when you take the picture and when its captured.

The new LED flash helps fill in shots in low light (a feature Apple was lagging behind everyone in) and the cameras automatically geotag your photos, with the location now (in iOS 4) presented graphically right on the phone under Photo's Places tab.

The new phone even looks and feels like a camera, with flat edges that enable you stand it on its side or on end (if you dare) on a level surface. The built in camera app has no shutter delay timer, but you can set it up to record video, jump in the shot, and then trim out the initial part. You can now tap to focus for both still shots and while recording video.

There's very little to figure out in the ultra simple Camera app: just one button to set the flash and one to switch between the front and rear facing cameras (you can only switch before you start taking video or during a FaceTime chat; you can't go back and forth between the two cameras within the same recording).

New APIs in iOS 4 allow developers to access the raw data captured by the cameras, allowing third party apps to offer more options and additional (or less) imaging processing, meaning that Apple's simple and easy to use Camera app should get more complex alternatives offering additional features for those that want them.

From last place to first

Three years ago, Apple's first iPhone included a very rudimentarily camera that took only fair shots, useable for illustrating your contact list or snapping a shot of a funny sign. iPhone 3GS debuted a video camera with a touch to focus camera that took decent quality photos and acceptable videos, although our testing of the iPod nano suggested Apple had already improved upon its video capturing skills before that phone was even half a year old. In its fourth generation, Apple's iPhone 4 really shines as a camera.

iPhone 4 presents Apple's first front facing camera. It sports a "VGA resolution," which is 0.3 megapixels (640x480). That sounds like nothing at all in the megapixel arms race, but it's the same effective resolution of iChat and Photo Booth on the Mac, despite the fact that modern iSight cameras can capture 1.3 megapixels; a number of cameras take photos (and particularly videos) at lower resolutions than the hardware is capable of capturing.

The front facing camera takes plain pictures that are nothing special; it's there to capture video efficiently while you watch the other caller via FaceTime. If you want a good picture of yourself, click the camera-flip button and turn the unit around. You won't see a live view of your own photo, but the new highly reflective glass back of the iPhone 4 should give you an idea of what you're capturing, and make it easier to include friends in a self-held group shot (once you wipe the inevitable fingerprints of its back).

That rear camera captures very good pics with its 5 megapixel sensor, which sports both larger pixel size and a new "backside illumination" design that allows more light to hit the sensor. While the Retina Display's tightly packed, tiny pixels are a feature, as Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs explained in introducing the new phone, tiny pixels crammed into a camera sensor do not necessarily result in better pictures. Or in other words, more megapixels aren't automatically better if your sensor size isn't getting bigger as well.

Can it get better than this?

Rival phones with cameras capturing "more megapixel resolution" are often not capable of taking as good of pictures as iPhone 4, every review so far has indicated. What they do provide is a much larger picture size. The more megapixels you have capturing bits, the more megabytes your photo consumes. iPhone 4 pictures (2592x1936, 5 megapixel) are usually around 2-2.5MB, while iPhone 3GS photos (2048x1536, 3 megapixel) are usually closer to 1-1.5MB. In both cases, the raw data is JPEG compressed by the Camera app.

Without increasing the size of the sensor, packing more pixels into the tiny chip primarily gives you photos that are simply bigger. The iPhone 4 camera could certainly get better; a better lens with an actual optical zoom would be nice. The digital zoom of iOS 4 works by blowing up a section of the chip's sensor rather than using all of its pixels (as an optical zoom does).

You'll notice a big increase in pixelation when you zoom in, but iPhone 4 has enough resolution to make this at least somewhat useful; my test shot (below) taken while chasing pigeons in the park show the iPhone 4's maxed digital zoom compared to the iPhone 3GS.

One downside related to iOS 4 is that there's no longer an option to double click the Home button to activate the Camera app. That button sequence is now hardwired to the multitasking tray, so you have to manually hunt down the Camera app by icon.

If you're scrambling to capture something spontaneously, any delay spent navigating the device's touch screen is a potential shot killer. It's too bad iPhone 4's substantial new volume control buttons can't be programmed to pull up the camera (as in, up,down = launch Camera app). It would be nice to see this feature added in a software update.

On page 2 of 3: iPhone 4 vs iPhone 3GS, other Android phones: photos.

iPhone 4 vs iPhone 3GS: photos

The new camera's digital aperture responds faster than last year's iPhone 3GS, making it easier to capture the shot you wanted (once the Camera app is open), rather than the moment right after. Taking low light pictures is vastly better, and overall picture quality is significantly better.

The new phone also sports a useful new LED "flash" lamp, which can be turned on, off, or set to automatic. You can also activate the LED while video recording to help light your scene. On, the very bright LED can illuminate shots that would be too dark or noisy without it, but it's potentially annoying to use (it's very bright, and clicks on before the shot much longer than an actual flash unit) and may give you a picture that's overly orange.

Apple's LED at least uses a warmer white lamp, rather than the harsher blue tinged LEDs that most camera phones use, which tend to deliver unnatural and unflattering skin tones. Without the LED on, the new camera captures surprisingly good shots and video in limited light, a particularly difficult problem for most camera phones. The shots below demonstrate the kind of picture you can expect in a low light situation when using the iPhone 4 with the LED on and off, compared to the image captured by the iPhone 3GS camera.

The shots below was taken indoors in obscured florescent lighting. iPhone 4 still manages to capture vibrant colors and the detail of the clear plastic, while the earlier iPhone 3GS camera suffers a lot of pixel noise from the poor lighting available.

In bright sun at Dolores Park, iPhone 4 delivers more accurate color and much more depth, capturing sharper details even in distant skyline.

iPhone 4 beats top Android cameras, even point and shoot models

Expert tests performed by PC World which compared the iPhone 4 camera against Motorola's new Droid X, the HTC EVO 4G, and the new Samsung Galaxy reported, "iPhone 4 led the pack for overall image quality in our tests, serving up well-exposed, brightly colored images in our evaluations."

Even when compared to two popular 10 and 12 megapixel point-and-shoot cameras from Sony and Samsung, the panel wrote that "iPhone 4 outscored both of them in terms of exposure quality and color accuracy."

PC World noted that "iPhone 4's image quality was far less impressive in two categories: sharpness and distortion. It trailed the Droid X in terms of image sharpness, and those Sony and Samsung point-and-shoots finished far ahead of it." Overall however, the report concluded, "iPhone 4's photos looked more colorful and had better white balance than pictures taken with the other phones in this comparison."

Summing up the iPhone 4 photo experience, PC World wrote, "shutter lag is non-existent, image and video quality are solid, and the unique extras that the iPhone 4 has in its bag of tricks (tap-to-focus switching while shooting video, quick switching between the front-facing and back-facing camera, scrubbing a timeline to jump forward and back during clip playback, and a 5X digital zoom) take it a step above the competition in both speed and usability."

On page 3 of 3: iPhone 4 vs iPhone 3GS, other Android phones: videos.

iPhone 4 vs iPhone 3GS: video

When taking video, iPhone 4 captures a wider aspect ratio in full motion 30fps, 720p high definition (1280x720); iPhone 3GS only captures VGA resolution videos (640x480). This results in a bigger file: a 13 second video taken by both cameras of the same subject (panning across the view from the top of Dolores Park) resulted in the iPhone 3GS creating a 6.2MB file at 3.6Mbps, while iPhone 4 created 17.1MB file recording at 10.5Mbps.

Video quality captured by iPhone 4 is tremendously better than Apple's previous iPhone 3GS, as the still frame detail below demonstrates. The Retina Display of iPhone 4 amplifies the differences considerably, presenting a very sharp rendition of the photos and videos captured.

Video recording can also make use of the LED to illuminate the scene, but even without the lamp on it takes pretty decent video even in limited lighting. The Camera app also now supports tap to focus while recording video on iPhone 4, although this might be tricky to use while taking handheld videos.

Apple bundles easy to use trim editing controls right into the Camera app, and also offers a pretty amazing version of iMovie for cranking out polished clips with titles and automatic transitions. The new iMovie app is exclusive to the faster iPhone 4; it was recently reviewed by Chris Smith of T3, who runs through its workings in the video below.

iPhone 4 video rated best, particularly in low light

In its aforementioned smartphone comparison article PC World reported, "iPhone 4 also led the charge when it came to video quality, and this part of the battle wasn't even close. Video quality shot with the iPhone 4 in bright light was rated as Very Good, showing smooth motion, bright colors, and accurate white balance. But low-light video shot with the iPhone 4 is the real story, as its ratings didn't just run circles around the low-light video performance of the other smartphones, but also of the Samsung and Sony point-and-shoot cameras."

Compared against a Flip Video MinoHD, the report said "the Flip showed sharper and more-colorful footage in low light, but when it comes to phones (and even some full point-and-shoot cameras), the iPhone 4 is a go-to device for low-light video."

Other comparisons show the iPhone 4 video camera blowing out the picture when the camera is pointed at a strong light source, a problem that dedicated video cameras like the Flip do a much better job of handling. There's still reasons why you might want to record video using a Flip, or of course, a higher end consumer camcorder. Audio might be a prime reason; iPhone 4 has a small mic that isn't going to catch audio as well as a camcorder.

Apple gets serious about camera quality

With its camera now taking pictures competitive to a point and shoot and videos approaching those captured by standalone digital video cameras, iPhone 4's well performing still and video cameras make it hard to consider wanting to carry multiple devices. It will also prevent users from leaving the iPhone platform to find a phone that also takes decent pictures, as Apple's previous offerings were never competitive cameras.

There's still room for iPhone 4's camera to get better in software. Apple will hopefully address the obvious feature of being able to invoke the Camera app using a physical button, and third parties are likely to take full advantage of the new, low level photo and video camera access iOS 4 affords them to create alternative camera apps.

Apple has exposed full public access to iOS 4's new AV Foundation (used by both Camera and iMovie), which provides developers full camera hardware access and control, raw pixel camera recording, support for setting exposure and white balance, and frame accurate video editing. In addition to creating alternative capture and editing apps, the software access will also help software developers to create new and improved apps that feature bar code scanning or augmented reality.

The final part 4 of our iPhone 4 review will look at additional software details and features of iOS 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    It seems Apple's new iPhone 4 has a very good camera that many sources consider to be the best in a smartphone! This is a great new 'feature' of the new iPhone! Picture quality is nice, but for me video is a big deal and it is nice to be able to capture decent quality video in something I would potentially have with me all the time. Now I need to actually save up to buy one...(and/or find them in stock!)

Thanks for the review!
  • Reply 2 of 95
    duaneu2duaneu2 Posts: 19member
    "One downside related to iOS 4 is that there's no longer an option to double click the Home button to activate the Camera app. That button sequence is now hardwired to the multitasking tray, so you have to manually hunt down the Camera app by icon."

I put the camera icon on the bottom row, next to the phone icon, so it's available from any screen.
  • Reply 3 of 95
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Too bad so many on these forums are fixated on the antenna "issue" when there is so much else in this product that separates it from the pack.
  • Reply 4 of 95
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

It seems Apple's new iPhone 4 has a very good camera that many sources consider to be the best in a smartphone! This is a great new 'feature' of the new iPhone! Picture quality is nice, but for me video is a big deal and it is nice to be able to capture decent quality video in something I would potentially have with me all the time. Now I need to actually save up to buy one...(and/or find them in stock!)

Thanks for the review!

Yeah, I'm lovin' the new camera, especially the video quality; and the big thing I'm hoping for is that we'll see this same camera module in the iPod Touch this September. My family is on Verizon and footing my bill, so the Touch is my only reasonable alternative. The iPod Touch is an extremely good value anyhow, as it is my personal computing companion and digital assistant wherever I go. The only 2 major features I've missed are the GPS and camera (the camera the most). This fall, I'll sell my 2nd gen iPod Touch and upgrade to the new one. Can't wait to see the new hardware design either--it'll probably different from the iPhone. Itching with anticipation for September...
  • Reply 5 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Too bad so many on these forums are fixated on the antenna "issue" when there is so much else in this product that separates it from the pack.

Well, keep in mind the iPhone is a phone, first and foremost, so people having the antenna issue (myself included) have a legitimate issue with that, but...as photography is one of my major hobbies, I've been impressed so far with the quality of still and video this phone is able to produce. My main camera is a Canon 7D and a couple of lenses and I also have a Canon G10 for when I don't want to carry around my 7D kit. And now with the iPhone 4, I think my G10 is going to be a little lonely when I take off on trips, leaving it behind but carrying my iPhone instead...

Some observations though...

I've found the digital zoom will produce acceptable images up to about 50% of the zoom scale. At least in bright conditions...It would be very cool if they could figure out how to incorporate an optical zoom of some sort but at least with digital, it's there when needed.

Although you can create HD movies in iMovie, you can only upload directly, lower resolution versions via email or YouTube from the app. You can sync and copy the movies over and then upload the full HD versions from there. I haven't tried it since I just thought of it, but I wonder if you can copy and paste into an email directly from the photo app and maintain the HD resolution?
  • Reply 6 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think iMovie for the iPhone is by far the best smartphone app that I've used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Thanks for the review!

In the next year I have to think that other vendors will be marketing batter cameras. Will Apple step their game next year or is 5Mpx and 720p good enough for a couple years if they improve the other elements of the phone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by duaneu2 View Post

"One downside related to iOS 4 is that there's no longer an option to double click the Home button to activate the Camera app. That button sequence is now hardwired to the multitasking tray, so you have to manually hunt down the Camera app by icon."

I put the camera icon on the bottom row, next to the phone icon, so it's available from any screen.

I may try that since I had the camera app as the double click option. Not that I ever use my camera much, but when I do want it I could never get to it fast enough.

PS: A couple things I hate about iOS 4 is the extra steps to access the iPod app and the lack of options for the triple-click.

Ideally, I'd like the double-click to bring up the Fast App Switcher from the bottom and the "normal" iPod app controller down from the top (like you still get when you double-click the Home Button of the locked screen).

For the triple-click I'd like options in Settings so I can choose from a subset of options and task that are common. Like, WiFi on/off, Airplane Mode on/off, LED light as flashlight, Camera app, and of course Accessibility options.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Yeah, I'm lovin' the new camera, especially the video quality; and the big thing I'm hoping for is that we'll see this same camera module in the iPod Touch this September. My family is on Verizon and footing my bill, so the Touch is my only reasonable alternative. The iPod Touch is an extremely good value anyhow, as it is my personal computing companion and digital assistant wherever I go. The only 2 major features I've missed are the GPS and camera (the camera the most). This fall, I'll sell my 2nd gen iPod Touch and upgrade to the new one. Can't wait to see the new hardware design either--it'll probably different from the iPhone. Itching with anticipation for September...

I think at least the front-facing camera is coming to the Touch this Autumn for FaceTime. Also, Cisco is also backing FaceTime with an app coming to the App Store. I have to wonder if they'll incorporate it into the WiFi equipped Flip cameras coming this year.
  • Reply 7 of 95
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I'm really loving the camera in my iPhone 4, but I wish Apple's camera app had an anti-shake feature such as what's in the Gorillacam app. I have a heck of a time trying to hold my iPhone steady, but that's going to happen when working with such a small and light camera. My iPhone has definitely replaced my point & shoot.

Is anyone else having trouble with click to focus using gorillacam? Sometimes it seems to do nothing (no response). Other times, I see a green focus box, but it appears nowhere near where I clicked. Could this be an iOS4 or iPhone 4 thing?
  • Reply 8 of 95
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duaneu2 View Post

Yup. That's the first thing I did as well.
  • Reply 9 of 95
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Can those of us who were harping on the need for Apple to keep improving the camera for the last couple years get massive apology now?
  • Reply 10 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Can those of us who were harping on the need for Apple to keep improving the camera for the last couple years get massive apology now?

First of all, harping on a 3rd-party internet forum is not what I'd call relaying your concerns and interest with Apple. Secondly, It was going to get improved at some point, but complaining that the current one sucks now isn't going to make the current phone you're complaining about any better.

It's one thing to compare and contrast the differences between technologies used in competing devices, it's quite another to just reiterate the same issue over and over with no useful objective. So no, no soup for you!
  • Reply 11 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Does anyone else think the pictures on the indoor fluorescent example maybe got swapped? The yellow side does look very slightly crisper, but it's also very hard to get over the yellow. Maybe it's more accurate to the scene, I usually try to adjust white balance so the picture looks better than something like that.
  • Reply 12 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Does anyone else think the pictures on the indoor fluorescent example maybe got swapped? The yellow side does look very slightly crisper, but it's also very hard to get over the yellow. Maybe it's more accurate to the scene, I usually try to adjust white balance so the picture looks better than something like that.

I'm sure they are correct. Apple needs to work on its white balance a bit. AnandTech sums up this issue nicely.
  • Reply 13 of 95
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: A couple things I hate about iOS 4 is the extra steps to access the iPod app and the lack of options for the triple-click.

Ideally, I'd like the double-click to bring up the Fast App Switcher from the bottom and the "normal" iPod app controller down from the top (like you still get when you double-click the Home Button of the locked screen.

Just an observation, as I use the iPod controls extensively at the gym. If the screen is in locked (slide to unlock) mode, you can still access the old style iPod controls with a double click of the Home button. I just set my phone to lock as soon as you put the display asleep (note that it doesn't require an unlock code when you do this until after X number of minutes in the settings).

That way, as soon as you either put your display asleep, or it goes asleep, a quick double-click of your home button will bring up the old iPod controls.
  • Reply 14 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Just an observation, as I use the iPod controls extensively at the gym. If the screen is in locked (slide to unlock) mode, you can still access the old style iPod controls with a double click of the Home button. I just set my phone to lock as soon as you put the display asleep (note that it doesn't require an unlock code when you do this until after X number of minutes in the settings).

That way, as soon as you either put your display asleep, or it goes asleep, a quick double-click of your home button will bring up the old iPod controls.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear when I stated "(like you still get when you double-click the Home Button of the locked screen)." <==Forgot closing parenthesis

That's an option and one I use, but I find the inconsistent access to the iPod controls when I double-click to be un-Apple-like. Besides requiring the swipe to the right and having the controls more cramped in the space for 2 icons in the center of the row, being on the bottom is harder to use than they were when placed at on the top 1/3 of the display.

But I might be alone in this and it's certainly the best version of iOS they've released, and overall the iPod app is considerably more usable, so I'll gladly live with it.
  • Reply 15 of 95
    Quote:

Sorry if I wasn't more clear when I stated "(like you still get when you double-click the Home Button of the locked screen)." <==Forgot closing parenthesis

That's an option and one I use, but I find the inconsistent access to the iPod controls when I double-click to be un-Apple-like. Besides requiring the swipe to the right and having the controls more cramped in the space for 2 icons in the center of the row, being on the bottom is harder to use than they were when placed at on the top 1/3 of the display.

But I might be alone in this and it's certainly the best version of iOS they've released, and overall the iPod app is considerably more usable, so I'll gladly live with it.

I don't have to swipe to access the controls. They show up on the swipe screen itself. If the phone screen is locked, you can just double click the home button and access the old style iPod controls. No swiping or any other action other than the double click itself. I know what you mean about using the controls in the unlocked state though. I've been using iOS4 for about a month so I'm used to it now, but it was a small adjustment for me.
  • Reply 16 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

They weren't asking for an improved camera, they were just asking for more megapixels, the second doesn't always mean the first. Without improving the technology, more megapixels wouldn't have mattered, the same amount of light getting split between fewer pixels can degrade the quality of the camera, or simply exceed the quality of the lens or other parts of the camera. Focusing on what actually makes a picture rather than just increasing a marketing number is why Apple's 5MP phone matches or outperforms 8MP phones in overall picture quality, the fluorescent white balance notwithstanding.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Complaining about that on this thread would serve to jinx this thread.

Quote:

I'm sure they are correct. Apple needs to work on its white balance a bit. AnandTech sums up this issue nicely.

OK, that makes sense, and that is definitely something that can be fixed in an update. As opposed to a certain other issue which I'm not clear on how a software update can fix.
  • Reply 17 of 95
    Quote:

I don't have to swipe to access the controls. They show up on the swipe screen itself. If the phone screen is locked, you can just double click the home button and access the old style iPod controls. No swiping or any other action other than the double click itself.

I'm well aware of what you are stating and pointed out that I stated the same thing in the post you originally replied.

IF the screen is locked THEN you get the "normal" iPod controls that appear in to top 1/3 of the display.

IF you are on a Home Screen or in an app THEN you get the "new" iPod controls that appear in the Fast App Switcher, which then require you to swipe to the right and then use the cramped controls at the bottom of the phone.

Hence my comment that it's inconsistent, especially for Apple, and more cumbersome to use because of this.

Your solution means that regardless of the app I am in or task I'm performing, I have to use the physical Lock/Sleep Button at the top before I double-click the Home Button so I can avoid the new placement of the iPod controls. It's apparently just me who has an issue with this so I'll let it go.
  • Reply 18 of 95
    Quote:

I'm well aware of what you are stating and pointed out that I stated the same thing in the post you originally replied.

IF the screen is locked THEN you get the "normal" iPod controls that appear in to top 1/3 of the display.

IF you are on a Home Screen or in an app THEN you get the "new" iPod controls that appear in the Fast App Switcher, which then require you to swipe to the right and then use the cramped controls at the bottom of the phone.

Hence my comment that it's inconsistent, especially for Apple, and more cumbersome to use because of this.

Your solution means that regardless of the app I am in or task I'm performing, I have to use the physical Lock/Sleep Button at the top before I double-click the Home Button so I can avoid the new placement of the iPod controls. It's apparently just me who has an issue with this so I'll let it go.

No, I'm following what your saying. I just wanted to clarify. I see the disconnect your referring to, and it is somewhat un-Apple like. I just adapted and don't think about it much anymore. I don't see an easy way out though with the limited buttons, unless you could code one of the Vol buttons or some such to pull up iPod controls. Always a possibility in software I suppose.
  • Reply 19 of 95
    Quote:

Not having the new model yet, I can only make assumptions as to how things are, but it does sound less consistent. I wonder if double tap to iPod is considered an obscure feature, I don't think I knew about it until I stumbled across that setting in the Preferences. I was glad I found it, it was something I needed, otherwise the iPhone wasn't as useful as a media player, at least to me.
  • Reply 20 of 95
    Quote:

I don't see an easy way out though with the limited buttons, unless you could code one of the Vol buttons or some such to pull up iPod controls. Always a possibility in software I suppose.

I think I have an easy way out of it. I think using the exact same overlay they had before and still have when the screen is locked or display is off. Just put it on the top!

When you double-click the Home Button while in an app you can't use that app. It slides up. If you touch any of the screen that isn't being used by the bottom row of icons for Fast App Switching you jump back to that app. All Apple has to do it make the area that jumps back to the app about half the display so you have Fast App Switching on the bottom and the iPod controls overlay on the top when the iPod is in use.

This also opens up the option for placing 3 usable icons next to the Orientation Lock icon when you swipe to the right. One could be an LED flashlight for the iPhone 4, another could be the camera, or maybe have these user controllable in settings. I surely won't ever likely need to lock my orientation.

Anyway, too much thread jacking for this post script. I've submitted the issue to Apple so we'll see what, if anything, they'll do.

PS: There is also a bug or oversight with Fast App Switching that only shows the icons in portrait mode even when you double-click the Home Button from landscape mode. Seems like there might a few things they uncharacteristically need to iron out.