iPhone 4 Review: 3 - Camera Photos & Videos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not having the new model yet, I can only make assumptions as to how things are, but it does sound less consistent. I wonder if double tap to iPod is considered an obscure feature, I don't think I knew about it until I stumbled across that setting in the Preferences. I was glad I found it, it was something I needed, otherwise the iPhone wasn't as useful as a media player, at least to me.

You don't need the new model phone. You can do this with the 3GS with v4.0, too. Not sure if the 3G has Fast App Switching in v4.0 since it doesn't do backgrounding.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You don't need the new model phone. You can do this with the 3GS with v4.0, too. Not sure if the 3G has Fast App Switching in v4.0 since it doesn't do backgrounding.

I think I do, I have a 3G, I haven't found it yet.
  • Reply 23 of 95
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    The camera quality is indeed excellent. I've been very impressed so far. I recommend a great iPhone app called Auto Stitch ($2) for taking panoramic shots with it.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism;

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM;

Nope. Only on 4 & 3GS. But 3G does do Folders. That's my favorite feature new to iOS 4.
  • Reply 25 of 95
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Too bad so many on these forums are fixated on the antenna "issue" when there is so much else in this product that separates it from the pack.

Yeah. He's right!

How many people buy an iPhone, and agree to a two year contract paying $60+ per month. to use an iPhone as a phone anyway?
  • Reply 26 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Nope. Only on 4 & 3GS. But 3G does do Folders. That's my favorite feature new to iOS 4.

Folders are nice, but I don't think it's nice enough to justify updating a 3G to iOS 4. If I had to deal with this more than another week, I would probably try to find a way to back out of the upgrade, it made my phone sluggish. Something as simple as trying to take a picture seems to take 50% longer than it used to, if not twice as long. Most motion has at least one noticeable chop or jump.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rival phones with cameras capturing "more megapixel resolution" are often not capable of taking as good of pictures as iPhone 4, every review so far has indicated.

Ummm... Wow. There's so much in English, which I'm completely ignorant of...
  • Reply 28 of 95
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

T

Complaining about that on this thread would serve to jinx this thread.

jinx ???

oh no

you mean like the pro blu tay /anti glare crowd ??

>>>>

the pics do look a little yellow ??

the blue tinged pics look a little better

• Reply 29 of 95
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

jinx ???

oh no

Buckwheat?
  • Reply 30 of 95
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    I was reading a review of the camera over on Macworld and what impresses me the most about the video camera tests was the level of detail you could see. On an outdoor shot the droid video had a little better color but when he panned across the grass you could see individual blades of grass with the iphone while the droid with the higher megapixel count the grass looked like a green blob.

For a phone camera it is very impressive.
  • Reply 31 of 95
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I'm really loving the camera in my iPhone 4, but I wish Apple's camera app had an anti-shake feature such as what's in the Gorillacam app. I have a heck of a time trying to hold my iPhone steady, but that's going to happen when working with such a small and light camera. My iPhone has definitely replaced my point & shoot.

Is anyone else having trouble with click to focus using gorillacam? Sometimes it seems to do nothing (no response). Other times, I see a green focus box, but it appears nowhere near where I clicked. Could this be an iOS4 or iPhone 4 thing?

sounds like someone needs to come up with a version of this http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/bottle-cap-tripod-8 for the iPhone.
  • Reply 32 of 95
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think I have an easy way out of it. I think using the exact same overlay they had before and still have when the screen is locked or display is off. Just put it on the top!

When you double-click the Home Button while in an app you can't use that app. It slides up. If you touch any of the screen that isn't being used by the bottom row of icons for Fast App Switching you jump back to that app. All Apple has to do it make the area that jumps back to the app about half the display so you have Fast App Switching on the bottom and the iPod controls overlay on the top when the iPod is in use.

This also opens up the option for placing 3 usable icons next to the Orientation Lock icon when you swipe to the right. One could be an LED flashlight for the iPhone 4, another could be the camera, or maybe have these user controllable in settings. I surely won't ever likely need to lock my orientation.

Anyway, too much thread jacking for this post script. I've submitted the issue to Apple so we'll see what, if anything, they'll do.

PS: There is also a bug or oversight with Fast App Switching that only shows the icons in portrait mode even when you double-click the Home Button from landscape mode. Seems like there might a few things they uncharacteristically need to iron out.

I actually like that idea quite as there bit there is a bit of wasted space mid-screen that could house the iPod controls if the music is playing. Have you suggested it on the dev site?
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:

From what I recall, 3G just pulls up the iPod controls ala 3.x. I still have one around if you want me to verify, but I'm fairly positive it still pulls up the old style controls rather than the multi-task bar at the bottom.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    Quote:

jinx ???

oh no

the pics do look a little yellow ??

the blue tinged pics look a little batter

Please don't go there. It's refreshing having an actual conversation in here without listening to pages of 'glare', 'antenna', 'blu-ray' posts
  • Reply 35 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

From what I recall, 3G just pulls up the iPod controls ala 3.x. I still have one around if you want me to verify, but I'm fairly positive it still pulls up the old style controls rather than the multi-task bar at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure it's still the old way, I've not seen the multitask bar yet, there's no reason for it to be there. I just don't have a newer model (hopefully next week!) and I don't know anyone else that does.

I also checked the home button settings, there is no reference to the new launch bar.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Please don't go there. It's refreshing having an actual conversation in here without listening to pages of 'glare', 'antenna', 'blu-ray' posts

agreed!!
  • Reply 37 of 95
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's still the old way, I've not seen the multitask bar yet, there's no reason for it to be there. I just don't have a newer model (hopefully next week!) and I don't know anyone else that does.

I also checked the home button settings, there is no reference to the new launch bar.

Just verified on one of my old 3G's. It pulls up the old iPod controls with a home double click on both the 'swipe' screen, and when it's unlocked (assuming the iPod is playing of course).

Prefs for the 'Home Button' are identical to the old 3.x preferences with the possible exception of the Spotlight Search options. I don't recall on if 3.x had those.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    Quote:

Quote:

agreed!!

I guess we should do gentle reminders for people to not bring up those topics except in threads where it's on topic.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Yeah. He's right!

How many people buy an iPhone, and agree to a two year contract paying $60+ per month. to use an iPhone as a phone anyway?

You know its funny though, and maybe I'm in the minority, but between text, IM, facebook, email, etc, I use it less and less as a phone. It certainly isn't the most important feature to me.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judgegavel View Post

You know its funny though, and maybe I'm in the minority, but between text, IM, facebook, email, etc, I use it less and less as a phone. It certainly isn't the most important feature to me.

Agreed. I use browsing, IM, and apps far more than just picking it up and calling someone. The phone functionality is secondary for me.