Viewing videos embedded in PDF on iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I embedded a video and link to a website in a .pdf file. I converted the .pdf to a .epub for iBook, but I can't view the video or click the link in iBook. What's the solution?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    How does it work if you placed the PDF file directly into iBooks without any conversion?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

How does it work if you placed the PDF file directly into iBooks without any conversion?

It doesn't work. iBook can only recognize .epub files to my understanding.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

It doesn't work. iBook can only recognize .epub files to my understanding.

Update iBooks to v 1.1, it reads PDFs.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Update iBooks to v 1.1, it reads PDFs.

Updated. Didn't help. Issue still stands.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    I've never tried to imbed a video in a PDF (to be honest, I didn't even know it was possible), but if I was determined to make this work I'd probably try different types of video.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    I'm not positive, but I think embedded media is part of the current PDF spec which Adobe has not released into the open yet.

Adobe holds onto the newest most advanced version to make a business case for it's Acrobat Pro line. They will publish the current spec as an update to the Open PDF Standard when they feel they have wrung out enough $$ from it. There are also all kinds of security problems in Acrobat related to the embedded media. Enough that several weeks ago Adobe published steps to configure Acrobat Pro to reduce the vulnerabilities.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I'm not positive, but I think embedded media is part of the current PDF spec which Adobe has not released into the open yet.

Adobe holds onto the newest most advanced version to make a business case for it's Acrobat Pro line. They will publish the current spec as an update to the Open PDF Standard when they feel they have wrung out enough $$ from it. There are also all kinds of security problems in Acrobat related to the embedded media. Enough that several weeks ago Adobe published steps to configure Acrobat Pro to reduce the vulnerabilities.

That being said...what's the best way for me to amalgamate the information contained within my .pdf and a video file? I tried converting the .pdf to .html and then inserting the code for a video manually, but the .pdf loses some of its formatting when being converted to .html, and I can't have that.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

That being said...what's the best way for me to amalgamate the information contained within my .pdf and a video file? I tried converting the .pdf to .html and then inserting the code for a video manually, but the .pdf loses some of its formatting when being converted to .html, and I can't have that.

A Keynote presentation saved to Quicktime?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

A Keynote presentation saved to Quicktime?

Not using a MAC, no keynote.

Basically what I'm trying to accomplish is that I have a .pdf file, and I want to some how replace a picture in the file with a clickable video. And then somehow be able to view this on the iPad, ideally through one of their free pdf viewers.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I've never seen any PDF with a clickable imbedded video. If you could direct me to one, I'd like to see it.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

I've never seen any PDF with a clickable imbedded video. If you could direct me to one, I'd like to see it.

Voila (I put this up as a test). http://chronicle.ca/ipadtest2.pdf
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

Voila (I put this up as a test). http://chronicle.ca/ipadtest2.pdf

Thanks. FWIW, the video does not play in Preview on the Mac, but it does in Adobe Reader. So as was suggested above, this feature appears to be currently proprietary to Adobe products.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

Thanks. FWIW, the video does not play in Preview on the Mac, but it does in Adobe Reader. So as was suggested above, this feature appears to be currently proprietary to Adobe products.

I can play it straight from my PC's browser...don't have to save the file to open it with adobe (so I'm not sure what you mean by proprietary to adobe products). Anyways, however, when I try the url on iPad's Safari, I can see the pdf file, but the video isn't present.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:

I can play it straight from my PC's browser...don't have to save the file to open it with adobe (so I'm not sure what you mean by proprietary to adobe products). Anyways, however, when I try the url on iPad's Safari, I can see the pdf file, but the video isn't present.

Which means you are opening it via the Adobe Acrobat Reader browser plugin. A proprietary Adobe product.

The Safari default is to use Preview, which is not owned or produced by Adobe. And Preview, or any other non-Adobe PDF viewer, is prevented from using all the current PDF functionality because Adobe hasn't made that part of the standard available to anyone else yet.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Which means you are opening it via the Adobe Acrobat Reader browser plugin. A proprietary Adobe product.

The Safari default is to use Preview, which is not owned or produced by Adobe. And Preview, or any other non-Adobe PDF viewer, is prevented from using all the current PDF functionality because Adobe hasn't made that part of the standard available to anyone else yet.

Is there some other more public file format I can convert the file to without losing any formatting?
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Don't know, sorry.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Is there some other more public file format I can convert the file to without losing any formatting?

All you have to do is to download and install Adobe Reader. This will automatically install the AdobePDFViewer.plugin Internet Plug-in. Switch your PDF viewer to Adobe Reader.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

All you have to do is to download and install Adobe Reader. This will automatically install the AdobePDFViewer.plugin Internet Plug-in. Switch your PDF viewer to Adobe Reader.

Don't think that's available for the iPad...
  • Reply 19 of 41
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Don't think that's available for the iPad...

You're correct. This means that you are SOL.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You're correct. This means that you are SOL.

Which is why I'm looking for a less proprietary format other than .pdf...