iPhone 4 antenna fix could impact Apple's operating income by 1%

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

i am sick of these psuedo-benchwarming pundits trying their best to analyze a situation they are completely out of the loop of and desperately trying to theorize how such "mistakes" could have been made. Calming the investors? really. Frankly let the stock price slide down a bit, I will buy more.

Are you serious, no one in the wild even took the case off at least one? Believe what ever you want consistently wrong investment groups, you still think AAPL will reach $351. Which duh, you do not need an investment group full of douchebags to come up with that realization. what a bunch of maroons...

Wow! its just an opinion, geesh. Corporations do miss things. Boeing missed a biggee on its new 787 and payed big time. It happens.

BTW-What other stocks are 'duh' that you have insight too? Have you started your own investment strategy firm that can recommend these 'duh' stocks to us 'un-duh' folks? We'll pay you, because after all, 'duh', its you and not those consistantly wrong investment firms.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I just want to remind all the "Chicken Littles", name callers, and "Apple should do this or that" posters...

It has been less than 20 days since the iPhone 4 became available to 1-day-early recipients on June 23 (me included).

Put yourself in the position of Steve Jobs, Apple, et al.

How would you react?

Is there a problem that exceeds "expected malfunctions" for a first manufacturing run for this class of device?

If, so, have you identified the problem?

If, so, have you developed a fix or work around?

Remember, you are in the position of Steve Jobs and have a responsibility to Apple customers, shareholders, employees, partners alike.

Also, remember that whatever you say may have legal, political and regulatory ramifications.

I suspect that you would be less receptive to advice and knee-jerk reactions if those making them were in your position.

How would you react?

Is

This is a serious question? I mean, given how Steve and Apple did react?

Ok, the easy part, I wouldn't have sent an email telling someone the problem was the way he handled the phone and to handle it differently, aka you're holding it wrong.

I wouldn't have feigned an "oh my gosh! we've used a wrong bar formula all along! you can't believe how surprised we are!" response with the pretense that "cosmetics" was the only issue and it would be solved soon via a patch.

Good for starters?
  • Reply 43 of 106
    Does anyone read what they type?

"not lose site of the forest for the trees"

Site -> sight

Spelling checkers are no replacement for intelligence.
  • Reply 44 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Have you bought options betting that Apple stock will fall or is that just another FUDster shooting off his mouth?

It's Munster. It would actually be news if it DID make sense.

That's exactly what all the whiners are missing. Apple has to first find the source of the problem. Sorting through all the anecdotal reports (as well as all the 'reports' from people who don't even own an iPhone) takes time.

Then, they have to find a solution. There's no magic wand, no matter how much idiot analysts wish there were.

THEN, they have to get FCC approval - which is likely to take weeks - at least.

Then they can start to implement it.

All the people screaming that Apple has to do something NOW obviously have no clue what they're talking about. You can't fix a problem until you've identified it and cleared the solution through appropriate authorities.

Does it take FCC approval to provide an OS patch? Just asking.
  • Reply 45 of 106
    dcolleydcolley Posts: 87member
    If you do not like your iphone 4, stop your complaining and take it back for a refund. Use the money for a KIN or the other loser phone the droid.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    There will be NO recall.

If you don't like the phone, RETURN IT.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

All the people screaming that Apple has to do something NOW obviously have no clue what they're talking about. You can't fix a problem until you've identified it and cleared the solution through appropriate authorities.

What they have to do NOW is acknowledge that they have a problem and make clear will be addressed. What they have to do NOW is get ahead of the bad PR curve.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    jumperjumper Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

The antenna is not the issue. Not any more.

The ATTITUDE has become the problem

My guess? The stock will reach 151 well before it reaches 351

-----

My guess is that the stock will be at $325-$360 before the end of the year. This reception issue is really a non-issue. Jobs is just going to give the complainers a free bumper (cost to AAPL around $1-2m) and the problem is solved.

My Iphone4 works perfect. I dont know one person that has this problem. I wonder what the really percentage is of people that have a reception issue. Maybe 10-15% ????
  • Reply 49 of 106
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

The antenna is not the issue. Not any more.

The ATTITUDE has become the problem

My guess? The stock will reach 151 well before it reaches 351

You are 100% correct. In fact, it reached 151 about a year ago, which, I think we can all agree is well before it reaches 351.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

There will be NO recall.

Awfully certain of you. Work for Apple do you?

As an aside, I'm willing to bet people who return this phone won't be because they "don't like" the phone. That's inaccurate and not explicit enough. It's because it has a SHITTY ANTENNA for natural left hand use.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    People need to take a zanax and realize that every piece of new hardware that any company manufactures will possibly have a flaw of some sort, just like an OS. Things can slip through the cracks from time to time. I am a firm supporter of not buying first gen of any new hardware. Wait till ver2.0 or maybe 3 so the bugs etc get found and fixed. I am debating on jumping back into getting a cell phone as I do not currently own one, so I will just sit back and wait for the dust to settle.
  • Reply 52 of 106
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That's one of the first reports written by Munster that actually makes some sense.

I think the time might be right for Apple to either give away a bumper, or at least drop the price, just to make the issue go away.

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing about it.

Really? If you compare his estimates to EVERY other analyst you'd be hard pressed to name one with a better track record. Can you? Waiting...
  • Reply 53 of 106
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Why in the world is anyone paying any attention to Munster? Has he EVER been right about Apple?

Is he also as bad a speller as the authors here?

Quote:

You're kidding, right? Site?
  • Reply 54 of 106
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post

Does anyone read what they type?

Site -> sight

Spelling checkers are no replacement for intelligence.

Aww... You beat me to it.
  • Reply 55 of 106
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    I wonder why the subject of the millions of loyal Apple customers who are still waiting to order their White iPhone 4s never comes up in any of these sales projection discussions?
  • Reply 56 of 106
    rsmrsm Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I'm all for Apple making a success of the iPhone 4. However, if Apple does nothing and merely let's "demand for the product speak for itself", then I will be very disappointed in the company when law suits are the only way to get the problem addressed.

"LAWSUITS THE ONLY WAY"???OMG..have you ever heard of RETURNING IT? Apple will give you a full refund even after playing with it for 30 days. Good lord.
  • Reply 57 of 106
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

There will be NO recall.

Demand Apple bring back Field Test Mode in the next iOS 4 update.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsm View Post

"LAWSUITS THE ONLY WAY"???OMG..have you ever heard of RETURNING IT? Apple will give you a full refund even after playing with it for 30 days. Good lord.

You know, there seem to be two perfect solutions to this matter from the experts here. Put duct tape on the antenna (brilliant) or take it back.

If your a shareholder, do you really want everyone returning their iPhone 4's? Is that good business to you?
  • Reply 59 of 106
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

Awfully certain of you. Work for Apple do you?

As an aside, I'm willing to bet people who return this phone won't be because they "don't like" the phone. That's inaccurate and not explicit enough. It's because it has a SHITTY ANTENNA for natural left hand use.

RETURN THE PHONE. period.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsm View Post

Waste of time. It's much better if Apple merely behaves responsibly.