Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple this Friday will hold a press conference on its Cupertino-based campus to discuss the iPhone 4 and, presumably, the growing array of allegations from the media over the handset's reception woes.

No further details about the event, first reported by The Wall Street Journal's All Things D blog, were made available. Apple simply notified members of the press Wednesday evening that it would hold the event this Friday, July 16, at 10 a.m. Pacific Time.

The announcement comes as a firestorm of publicity has surrounded the iPhone 4, and its propensity for some users to lose reception and sometimes drop calls when held in the lower left corner. Though coverage of the issue has persisted since the handset launched in late June, it reached a boiling point earlier this week when Consumer Reports did a 180-degree turn on its stance on the iPhone 4, and announced that it could not recommend the device to consumers because of the antenna issues.

The matter has been a popular topic in the media, tipping over into the mainstream and even becoming the subject of an entire Top 10 list from late night talk show host David Letterman this week.

Competitors have also seen the coverage as an opportunity to capitalize, with Verizon, Nokia, and Microsoft all taking shots at Apple.

Throughout the growing bad publicity, Apple, as it notoriously does, has stayed quiet. A day after the iPhone 4 launched, the company issued a statement in which it said that all mobile phones experience some reception issues when held improperly. Days later, as complaints about the physical antenna continued, the company said it would issue a software fix for a separate problem, in which the handset would incorrectly report the bars of reception currently available.

Speculation on how Apple will handle the issue has largely fallen under three schools of thought: do nothing, give away free bumper cases to shield the external antenna band from skin contact, or issue a complete product recall. Obviously the last option would be the costliest, with one analyst predicting it would cost Apple $1.5 billion.

Any delays could be costly, too. On Wednesday, another analyst posited that every week Apple does not resolve the issue and continues to sell phones with problems, it will become even more expensive, perhaps to the tune of as much as $200 million per week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 240
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    At least they're going to address it. Even Apple knows that staying quiet with an issue this big (or saying "you're holding it wrong") is a dumbass mistake.
  • Reply 2 of 240
    bklynkidbklynkid Posts: 36member
    About time they came out and said *something* about this.

I see free bumpers in the near future. Perhaps the white iPhone to offset some of the negative press to come of the event?
  • Reply 3 of 240
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Maybe my new iPhone next week will come with a free bumper?
  • Reply 4 of 240
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Ladies and gentlemen, we have solved the issue of antenna shorting with our iPhone 4... today we are announcing... iPhone 5! Now featuring NO antenna, we use the electrical properties of the users own body as the antenna!"
  • Reply 5 of 240
    dirkphdirkph Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have solved the issue of antenna shorting with our iPhone 4... today we are announcing... iPhone 5! Now featuring NO antenna, we use the electrical properties of the users own body as the antenna!"

"I can't use my iPhone with rubber gloves."

Meanwhile, I need to stop my effin' divorce!

• Reply 6 of 240
    If Apple is going to give out free bumpers, I hope they give a refund to people that already bought one.
  • Reply 7 of 240
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

At least they're going to address it. Even Apple knows that ... saying "you're holding it wrong"... is a dumbass mistake.

Well, if the world was full of intelligent reasonable people that like hearing the truth then telling people they are holding it wrong would actually be the *best* way to go, since that's essentially the only problem.

The trouble is that Steve and Co. have no idea how the average dumb-ass consumers reacts to statements like that. So, yeah. It was a bad move I guess.

This whole debacle shows off Apple's achilles heel. They make superior products because they are a superior company full of superior human beings, but as a result, they just don't get how regular folks think sometimes. Same with the Hockey puck mouse for the original iMac. To a designer, it's beauty, art, etc. but to the average computer user it was a POS that didn't fit in your hand.
  • Reply 8 of 240
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Maybe my new iPhone next week will come with a free bumper?

that's not going to happen. It'll kill the 3rd party case makers.
  • Reply 9 of 240
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Notice that they waited until after the cessation of aftermarket trading to make this announcement, to allow the pros to set themselves up for a hoped for boost in Aapl stock tomorrow, pre open. Never fails.
  • Reply 10 of 240
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    You think they've started building white ones yet?
  • Reply 11 of 240
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Don't think so. "How bout a guaranteed purchase of millions Right now, by Apple. Guaranteed free press (priceless actually) for manufacturer at no loss to them, with potential increased sales. The bumper is high quality, and incorporates buttons seemlessly. Can't hurt.
  • Reply 12 of 240
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Well they had to respond. Meanwhile our iPhone 4s are the best iPhones we've had. Better, faster connection. And this is the experience for most users.

I can make the signal degrade if I really try, but in everyday use, no problems. It's perfect.
  • Reply 13 of 240
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Great point! Maybe $29.99 gift card toward a case of your choice on apple.com.
  • Reply 14 of 240
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well, if the world was full of intelligent reasonable people that like hearing the truth then telling people they are holding it wrong would actually be the *best* way to go, since that's essentially the only problem.

The trouble is that Steve and Co. have no idea how the average dumb-ass consumers reacts to statements like that. So, yeah. It was a bad move I guess.

This whole debacle shows off Apple's achilles heel. They make superior products because they are a superior company full of superior human beings, but as a result, they just don't get how regular folks think sometimes. Same with the Hockey puck mouse for the original iMac. To a designer, it's beauty, art, etc. but to the average computer user it was a POS that didn't fit in your hand.

I'm trying to understand your post. Are you saying this situation is the consumers' fault for not being intelligent enough?

I don't think that Apple is filled with "superior" human beings. At their profession I will agree but there are far more important things than making computers. When they make computers while ending wars and world hunger I'll call them superior.

This press conference is much needed.
  • Reply 15 of 240
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I agree there are just some dumb ass people. The iPhone 4 is the best phone out there period. Yes, I own it.

Nobody is complaining that you have to point a remote control at a television and aiming it to far to the right or left lessons the chance of it working properly. Fact is some products require you to hold them a certain way.

There is a similar spot on the left hand bottom side of the Droid Aris. Nobody is complaining about that.

Fact is, most iPhone users aren't complaining about the phone at all because there is nothing wrong with it.

I for one don't think Apple should have to do anything other then what it has done. It has already said you can return the phone for a full refund. What more should it have to do?

Problem is that the press is having a field day beating up on Apple, reporting things wrong, and now APple will have to take action that it shouldn't have to do. I suspect it will reiterate that it offers a full refund for people not happy, and offer a free bumper case.

Unlike a lot of companies, Apple actually has class.

Quote:

• Reply 16 of 240
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post

If Apple is going to give out free bumpers, I hope they give a refund to people that already bought one.

I don't think they'll get a refund, but more like store credit.
  • Reply 17 of 240
    modul8trmodul8tr Posts: 10member
    Quote:

"You're holding it wrong" is a MISQUOTE.

What he said was this: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

Which he then followed up with a longer email explaining why.

Whatever you think of the response, at least get the quote right.
  • Reply 18 of 240
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

At least they're going to address it. Even Apple knows that staying quiet with an issue this big (or saying "you're holding it wrong") is a dumbass mistake.

No one actually said, "you're holding it wrong." So, if you're going to use those words, at least don't put them in quotes as though that specific phrase was actually used.
  • Reply 19 of 240
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post

Why? The problem is solve with bumpers and you don't have a problem (because you already have a bumper).
  • Reply 20 of 240
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No one actually said, "you're holding it wrong." So, if you're going to use those words, at least don't put them in quotes as though that specific phrase was actually used.

That was the spin put on it by numerous headline writers. It was dishonest but it sure did increase clicks.