Inside Apple's changes to the iPhone's signal strength visual bars

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the release of iOS 4.0.1 on Thursday, Apple instated changes to the way its iPhone handsets visualize bars representing cellular signal strength, doing away with a previously optimistic approach that compressed the dynamic range of bars to make it appear that a user's reception was much stronger than it actually was.

In fact, AnandTech, which has been following the matter closely for weeks, discovered that Apple had compressed the dynamic range to such an extent that cradling the company's new iPhone 4 with the so-called "death grip" would make all of its bars disappear from just a 24 dB drop in signal.

Extensive testing of iOS 4.0.1 indicated a drastic change in the cutoffs for the 5 signal bar strength indicators. The pair that authored the report concluded that "Apple’s mappings have gone from having probably the most compressed dynamic range among handset vendors to less compressed than Android." iOS 4.0.1 also broadens the range for displaying a signal, with the lower limit shifting from -113 dBm to -121 dBm.* Both testers were able to keep calls connected at the lower limit of -121 dBm when testing with an iPhone 4. They theorized that the increase in display range was to accommodate the iPhone 4's increased sensitivity.

Compared to iOS 4.0, iOS 4.0.1 spreads the signal bars much more evenly throughout the range. It also significantly reduces the range of bar 5, from a range of 40 dB to a range of 25 dB. Bars 4 and 5 in iOS 4.0.1 now cover almost the same range as just bar 5 in iOS 4.0.

With the broader range between bars, users will see less of a drop when experiencing a loss of signal from gripping the phone. As reported earlier, the distance between the low end of bar 5 and no bars in iOS 4.0 was 24 dB (-91 dBm to -113 dBm). In iOS 4.0.1, the distance between the low end of bar 5 and no bars is now 45 dB (-76 dBm to -121 dBm).

The report warned that users will most likely experience an across-the-board apparent loss in signal with the new software update. "The new signal strength visualization in iOS 4.0.1 is simply going to be more honest with iPhone users."

As expected, Apple changed the heights of the signal strength bars. Bars 1, 2, and 3 are taller, making the relative heights appear exponential, rather than linear. Although bars 1 and 2 changed the most, "their respective cutoffs are virtually unchanged."

Although the new display is easier to read, the heightened bars without a corresponding change in cutoff value may lead users to believe that they have better signal than before. According to the report, this change in either the height or cutoff of some of the signal strength visual bars could potentially cause confusion and anger among users.

Anandtech had also conducted tests to verify the loss in signal from contact with the iPhone 4 antenna, as compared to a drop due to a hand simply being close enough to the phone to block signal.

After wrapping high-insulation tape around the stainless steel band, the drop in signal from gripping the phone improved from a drop of 24 dB to a drop of 16.6 dB.* When the tester wore a latex glove, the signal drop reduced even further to a drop of 14.7 dB. While the tape and gloves weren't presented as potential solutions, they did bring the signal drop "in league with the Nexus One's worst case drop, and almost in league with the iPhone 3GS worst case drop."*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the release of iOS 4.0.1 on Thursday, Apple instated changes to the way its iPhone handsets visualize bars representing cellular signal strength, doing away with a previously optimistic approach that compressed the dynamic range of bars to make it appear that a user's reception was much stronger than it actually was.

In fact, AnandTech, which has been following the matter closely for weeks, discovered that Apple had compressed the dynamic range to such an extent that cradling the company's new iPhone 4 with the so-called "death grip" would make all of its bars disappear from just a 24 dB drop in signal.

Extensive testing of iOS 4.0.1 indicated a drastic change in the cutoffs for the 5 signal bar strength indicators. The pair that authored the report concluded that "Apple?s mappings have gone from having probably the most compressed dynamic range among handset vendors to less compressed than Android." iOS 4.0.1 also broadens the range for displaying a signal, with the lower limit shifting from -113 dBm to -121 dBm.* Both testers were able to keep calls connected at the lower limit of -121 dBm.

Compared to iOS 4.0, iOS 4.0.1 spreads the signal bars much more evenly throughout the range. It also significantly reduces the range of bar 5, from a range of 40 dB to a range of 25 dB. Bars 4 and 5 in iOS 4.0.1 now cover almost the same range as just bar 5 in iOS 4.0.

With the broader range between bars, users will see less of a drop when experiencing a loss of signal from gripping the phone. As reported earlier, the distance between the low end of bar 5 and no bars in iOS 4.0 was 24 dB (-91 dBm to -113 dBm). In iOS 4.0.1, the distance between the low end of bar 5 and no bars is now 45 dB (-76 dBm to -121 dBm).

The report warned that users will most likely experience an across-the-board apparent loss in signal with the new software update. "The new signal strength visualization in iOS 4.0.1 is simply going to be more honest with iPhone users."

As expected, Apple changed the heights of the signal strength bars. Bars 1, 2, and 3 are taller, making the relative heights appear exponential, rather than linear. Although bars 1 and 2 changed the most, "their respective cutoffs are virtually unchanged."

Although the new display is easier to read, the heightened bars without a corresponding change in cutoff value may lead users to believe that they have better signal than before. According to the report, this change in either the height or cutoff of some of the signal strength visual bars could potentially cause confusion and anger among users.

Anandtech had also conducted tests to verify the loss in signal from contact with the iPhone 4 antenna, as compared to a drop due to a hand simply being close enough to the phone to block signal.

After wrapping high-insulation tape around the stainless steel band, the drop in signal from gripping the phone improved from a drop of 24 dB to a drop of 16.6 dB.* When the tester wore a latex glove, the signal drop reduced even further to a drop of 14.7 dB. While the tape and gloves weren't presented as potential solutions, they did bring the signal drop "in league with the Nexus One's worst case drop, and almost in league with the iPhone 3GS worst case drop."*

So they're saying the software not only changes the bar display but allows you to hold onto calls in a weak signal area longer ?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the tape and gloves weren't presented as potential solutions, they did bring the signal drop "in league with the Nexus One's worst case drop, and almost in league with the iPhone 3GS worst case drop."

So maybe we'll see the release of the iGlove tomorrow?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

So they're saying the software not only changes the bar display but allows you to hold onto calls in a weak signal area longer ?

I don't think the results can really indicate the iOS 4.0.1 maintains calls at weaker signals compared to iOS 4.0. In iOS 4.0 and earlier, the lowest signal readout was -113dBm, but I think that's just the lowest number on the scale and anything lower will still be rounded/reported as -113dBm as long as there is a connection. iOS 4.0.1 simply adds additional range to the scale to -121dBm rather than suddenly allowing calls at lower signal levels. Certainly, I don't believe Anandtech made the claim that they are seeing better call performance with iOS 4.0.1 compared to iOS 4.0.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    I still can't tell from the report whether installing this update will help or hurt. Anyone has an answer?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

I still can't tell from the report whether installing this update will help or hurt. Anyone has an answer?

Neither. It's all visual as far as we can tell.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Quote:

This update does not change performance. It only changes the way that the signal strength is displayed to be a more accurate representation.

I am surprised at just how skewed the original scale was. Guess fudging the numbers to make AT&T look good bit them in the arse.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Update sure helps me on the iPad with wifi... finally!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

It's not just cosmetic. The scale actually measures a broader signal range. That in itself should help.

I'm still waiting to find out if the new algorithm helps the phone determine if it still has a strong enough signal to hold a connection. If the reported disconnections were the result of the phone *thinking* the signal was too weak, then this update will definitely help because weaker signals are now reported to the user, and to the phone itself, more accurately.

I say go ahead and install.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

It'll make your iPhone 4 snappier!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

It is only visual improvement. The problem before was the drop from 5 bars to No Service, which was in fact a drop from 2 or 3 bars to zero. With this update the drop will be 2 bars.

Before this update my iPhone 3GS always showed full bars in my apartment and after the update it is showing 4 bars and when I hold it in my left hand I experience 1 to 2 bars drop. Personally, I think the previous bar scale was intentional and Apple knew how it affects iPhone 4. Remember this two days before the iPhone 4 was released:

Quote:

Yet, in some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor. Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars

• Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

It won't actually change your performance. It's strictly so the range of signal strength is more accurately displayed. If someone is bothered by seeing it drop from 5 bars to 1 bar, they'll be less affected to see it start out at 3 bars and then drop to 1 bar. Then, that 1 bar is taller so it's visible whereas before it looked to some as zero bars. It's psychological.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gto65l View Post

This update does not change performance. It only changes the way that the signal strength is displayed to be a more accurate representation.

I am surprised at just how skewed the original scale was. Guess fudging the numbers to make AT&T look good bit them in the arse.

Yeah, and it's easy to see why people could have been dropping so many bars before. By the chart, you could be almost at half signal and still have four bars showing, but if you grabbed it at that point, you could drop to one bar by only losing 6db and go to zero bars by only losing 13db.

Even if this is all they do, the drops will be less dramatic, and the angry folks will have to re-focus on whether it actually drops calls or not.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Bars are for drinking, not for calling.

But seriously, someone please explain to me WHY in 2010 we still use a crappy graphical representation of signal strength? What's wrong with using a simple percentage meter like the battery does?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    midiacmidiac Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

But seriously, someone please explain to me WHY in 2010 we still use a crappy graphical representation of signal strength? What's wrong with using a simple percentage meter like the battery does?

Thank You! HELLO!!!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:

what does it have to do with 2010? % is actually as bad as linear bars, because the unit itself is logarithmic (dB). If anything, just show the dB loss. However, most users will be thoroughly confused.

I like the bar display, especially the new curved one. It works for me, I'm smart enough to read the actual numbers but don't feel the need to prove it to myself every time I read the screen, bars are fine.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I think the new reporting is so much better and more accurate too!

And now since it's easier to go from 5 to 4 bars (as it should be), I can easily replicate the "death grip" on my old 3GS almost as easily as on my iP4, making it drop from 5 to 4 bars when I hold it around the bottom. And that's as far as they both drop here.

This should definitely at least change the focus of all the complaints and it'll be easier to separate people who really are having dropped calls and slower data transmission from those who just whine due to lost bars...
  • Reply 16 of 25
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    After installing this update I noticed two things:

1. The bars don't jump up and down between one and five bars any more

2. I now have less bars (three, instead of mostly five)

Previously, I could reduce the five bars to one or zero by just holding the phone (with bumper!), now the three bars will become one when I simply pick up the handset. Without the bumper, it used to go from five bars to "searching" as soon as I held the phone in my hand.

Apple's problems are not solved by any means and it is going to be very interesting to hear what they have to say about it today...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Because db follow a logarithmic scale, so a relatively small number of db drop would show a correspondingly large percentage drop. Let's say you're in a good signal area and lose 12 db. Under your system, that would display as 94% signal loss - and most people would panic. Yet they would still get a great connection.

I'm assuming that you're at least as knowledgeable as the average public, so the fact that you didn't understand that is an indication that it's probably a bad idea.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    aquia33aquia33 Posts: 70member
    Regardless of the bars being displayed, can you place or answer a call and carry on a conversation. That is what really matters.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    awesome update.

BEFORE: death grip would go from 5 bars to NO SIGNAL standing in front of my microcell

AFTER: death grip goes from 5 bars to one bar standing in front of my microcell, and if i try to make a call with that one bar, it constantly says "call failed". MUCH BETTER!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

awesome update.

BEFORE: death grip would go from 5 bars to NO SIGNAL standing in front of my microcell

AFTER: death grip goes from 5 bars to one bar standing in front of my microcell, and if i try to make a call with that one bar, it constantly says "call failed". MUCH BETTER!

If you have a microcell and can't get a good signal standing right next to it, return either the microcell or the phone (or both) for replacement. What you're describing clearly indicates that one or the other is seriously broken.