Review: Apple's new Magic Trackpad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Check this out yall.

What if a piece of software is made that allowed you to special swipe for a virtual numeric keypad you can see on the screen? Oh my god!!!!!!!

You may be able to draw the numbers and add, subtract, multiply and divide symbols, like a Palm Pilot.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Cause mice are better than trackpads.

Isn't it great that we get to decide for ourselves which we prefer?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

You may be able to draw the numbers and add, subtract, multiply and divide symbols, like a Palm Pilot.

Ewww!
  • Reply 23 of 84
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Yea, I read that too, but it breaks tradition for Apple -- usually they at least support the previous OS version!!!

Who has plugged one into a PPC Mac -- any support at all? Any third party support upcoming? ;-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Specs for Apple's Magic Trackpad require a Mac running OA X 10.6.4.

No PPCs.

• Reply 24 of 84
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

BTW, just call it a track pad. Calling it "magic track pad" throughout the column makes you sound like an Apple shill. Seriously. It's embarrassing.

Yup the naming direction is not to my liking either. I think its a plug for Disney, but honestly I would have preferred Apple trackpad instead or some variation of that.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    Quote:

BTW, just call it a track pad. Calling it "magic track pad" throughout the column makes you sound like an Apple shill. Seriously. It's embarrassing.

the product name is called magic track pad. thats why when its referred to on here they say magic track pad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC380?mco=MTg1ODA3NDY
  • Reply 26 of 84
    sofabuttsofabutt Posts: 99member
    This will go the same way as that overpriced web cam Apple made years back. Doomed to fail.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

This will go the same way as that overpriced web cam Apple made years back. Doomed to fail.

why did the isight go away? oh yeah it was installed in every model of computer apple that came with a screen.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:

If you thought iSight was overpriced back then, you'd better not look at what it goes for on eBay now. Funny how Apple's "failed" products wind up fetching more on the secondary market than many new similar products.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    There's a program called Inklet that turns MacBook trackpads into pen tablets... I'm willing to bet that it would work with the Magic Trackpad as well.

tenonedesign.com/inklet.php

There's a trial version; the full version costs $25.00. You can also use it with a Pogo Stylus for more features.

• Reply 30 of 84
    rmfinermfine Posts: 1member
    Is it me or does the Magic Trackpad seem a little over scaled? May be Apple should have called it the Big Mac Trackpad.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Someone needs to make a numpad transparency for that thing and some software so it can be activated to be used along side a laptop or the wireless keyboard.

Oh, maybe I shouldn't have posted this.

-Chris

P.S. The fact that this and the mouse take batteries, I'm less convinced they use magic.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    a use-case for this trackpad that may not be immediately obvious to many readers is using the trackpad for the input of chinese characters.

Apple added in 10.6 the ability to draw chinese characters on your trackpad, and recognize them/show suggestions. This feature originally came from the iPhone.

Until now, there was no way for desktop users to make use of this feature.

Who says Apple doesn't care about the chinese market? *cough* Lenovo *cough*
  • Reply 33 of 84
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    A stunning and much needed device.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    glockpopglockpop Posts: 69member
    Quote:

That's the name of the product, asshole.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

I don't remember the reason those isights were discontinued but they seemed to sell ok and I have seen them selling used for more then their original price. Not exactly what I would call a failure.

Of course that has nothing to do with wether or not this product is a success. I predict they will sell a million + in the next year.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I don't remember the reason those isights were discontinued but they seemed to sell ok and I have seen them selling used for more then their original price. Not exactly what I would call a failure.

Of course that has nothing to do with wether or not this product is a success. I predict they will sell a million + in the next year.

I loved my iSight camera. Expensive yes, but what's new given the volume we're talking. Feature rich and who couldn't dig on how they mounted to the cinema displays.

oh, and I'm one buyer so you 999,999 to go!
  • Reply 37 of 84
    gchristegchriste Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I loved my iSight camera. Expensive yes, but what's new given the volume we're talking. Feature rich and who couldn't dig on how they mounted to the cinema displays.

oh, and I'm one buyer so you 999,999 to go!

Make that 999,998.

Great device. I use a MBP at work all day and have a mouse sitting next to it I never use because I prefer its trackpad.

Now my iMac can get some trackpad love.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

Make that 999,998.

Great device. I use a MBP at work all day and have a mouse sitting next to it I never use because I prefer its trackpad.

Now my iMac can get some trackpad love.

I wonder if we can hit 1 million posts in this thread. . .

-C
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Somebody's thinking:

http://tenonedesign.com/
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Apple started building the webcams into the devices themselves.