Apple releases Safari 5.0.1 with Extensions, launches gallery

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    I also read that 5.0.1 fixes the autofill security bug...

F*cken morons

• Reply 22 of 44
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

... Unfortunately the reaction Apple got from guys in Safari 4 beta (to tabs on top) pushed them to drop it. ....

Yeah, this is sad.

Safari was the only browser (IMO of course) that did "tabs on top" right. However, now that both of the other major browsers have tabs on top, perhaps Apple will bring them back.

The complete illogic of having the application bar take up all that space while only displaying the exact same information as the active tab displays bothers me on a daily basis. It's like having a picture hanging crooked on the wall of your office that you have to stare at all day but can't fix.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Don't you guys read the articles? Every extension is tested by Apple

this is going to be the App store for Safari- and yes we will be paying for some of these eventually.

Maybe so, but the Weather Channel extension is hit or miss, looks like you have to mess with it every time you start up Safari to make it work. Most everything the Weather Channel does on the Apple platform is buggy and works about 50% of the time. They should fire their Apple Developers, whoever they are.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

I also read that 5.0.1 fixes the autofill security bug...

F*cken morons

You're seriously calling Apple 'morons' for fixing a security risk highlighted less than ten days ago? Would you rather them have left it alone?
  • Reply 25 of 44
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, this is sad.

Safari was the only browser (IMO of course) that did "tabs on top" right. However, now that both of the other major browsers have tabs on top, perhaps Apple will bring them back.

The complete illogic of having the application bar take up all that space while only displaying the exact same information as the active tab displays bothers me on a daily basis. It's like having a picture hanging crooked on the wall of your office that you have to stare at all day but can't fix.

It was users on sites such as these which completely destroyed Apple for putting tabs on top. The constant outcry on this very site was a great example of people hating the concept. So Apple listened and dropped it, immediately everyone changed their tune and wanted the tabs on top. Personally I want all tabbed apps to work the same and I ALWAYS want my main/title bar at the top of the window, as with every window in every application.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    My only wish is that they will have an extension that allows mouse gestures.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

It was users on sites such as these which completely destroyed Apple for putting tabs on top. The constant outcry on this very site was a great example of people hating the concept. So Apple listened and dropped it, immediately everyone changed their tune and wanted the tabs on top. Personally I want all tabbed apps to work the same and I ALWAYS want my main/title bar at the top of the window, as with every window in every application.

Exactly, tabs on top destroys any consistency of UI across apps, which is why, like The Ribbon, it is an abomination.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    My favourites...
    • Fullscreen YouTube ? Restores YouTube?s ability to use real-full-screen in their HTML5 player.

• NoMoreiTunes ? Stops iTunes Previews from auto-launching the iTunes app.

• Javascript Blacklist ? (Currently has a bug but it?s designed to remove those annoying tynt.com, intellitxt.com, snap.com JS that adds the site?s URL to text you copy from their page)

• SafariRestore ? Automatically restore your previous or saved browsing session,

for best results, set Safari to open new windows with an Empty page.

• Ultimate Status Bar ? Ultimate Status Bar is the awesome new alternative to the standard Safari status bar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Exactly, tabs on top destroys any consistency of UI across apps, which is why, like The Ribbon, it is an abomination.

I absolutely loved it. It was great when I was testing OSx86 on a netbook. That extra space on a 600px high display is needed. Even now with my 13? MBP I wish i could get that extra space back.

I don?t mind Apple not making it the default or not including an option within the browser preferences for it, and I agree with your assessment for their reasoning, but I would love to have the option again.

I also agree with Prof. Peabody in that Apple is the only one to have done it right. The others still wait extra space at the top of the browser. Even Chrome, despite the tabs on top wastes more vertical pixel space than Safari.

At least now it might be possible and the very least those of use who want to save as much room for the page content as we can, there are at least Status Bar extensions that allow us to use the bottom of the window while also having a more useful Status Bar. I?ll take what i can get.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    ugh. Safari is still useless to me because I cannot get the bookmarks sidebar to stay in place while I'm viewing a web page. As soon as you click the site, the sidebar disappears. I want a bookmarks sidebar like in Firefox. Maybe someone will write an extension to do that. Until then, no Safari for me.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    First thing I installed. 'Defacer.' Goodbye, Facebook crapola cluttering up my blogs, news and other sites.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Does anyone know if 5.0.1 has the same version of WebKit as 5.0?
  • Reply 32 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

What are you, the welcome wagon? Nobody welcomed ME to the AI family!!

Yeah! Me neither \ And with less than 600 posts he welcomes people to 'the family'??!! The impertinence. There are members here with several thousand of posts that will be unhappy about this. Very unhappy. He'd better watch his back.

Vito Corleone
  • Reply 33 of 44
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[*]Javascript Blacklist ? (Currently has a bug but it?s designed to remove those annoying tynt.com, intellitxt.com, snap.com JS that adds the site?s URL to text you copy from their page).

According to the developer, the bug was in Safari, not in the extension. He says this bug is fixed in Safari 5.0.1.

For what it's worth, I experienced a lot of crashes under Safari 5.0 due to that extension, but none (yet) with Safari 5.0.1.

Oh yeah, Javascript Blacklist link would be helpful, right?
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

According to the developer, the bug was in Safari, not in the extension. He says this bug is fixed in Safari 5.0.1.

For what it's worth, I experienced a lot of crashes under Safari 5.0 due to that extension, but none (yet) with Safari 5.0.1.

Oh yeah, Javascript Blacklist link would be helpful, right?

Thanks. I posted it despite having it disabled soon after insalling it hoping someone would offer up some useful and updated info.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Interesting they didn't include a lot that are listed on http://safariextensions.org
  • Reply 36 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How is Google Apple to crush the crap out of Apple when it comes to their web browser. The simple things like an actual gallery with comments and screenshots. And like being about to close three tabs in succession without moving the mouse cursor. Seriously Apple, this is actually pathetic.

Pathetic.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How is Google Apple to crush the crap out of Apple when it comes to their web browser. The simple things like an actual gallery with comments and screenshots. And like being about to close three tabs in succession without moving the mouse cursor. Seriously Apple, this is actually pathetic.

Pathetic.

I might give Chrome a test drive. Does it have top sites or anything like user agent where you can identify your browser as, say for example mobile safari or internet explorer?
  • Reply 38 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Pathetic.

I have no idea what this is even supposed to mean, so I ran it through Google Translate and came up with:

Quote:

How Google Apple to crush the crap out of Apple when it comes to their web browser. Simple things like a gallery owner with comments and screenshots. And to be on the verge of closing three tabs in succession without moving the mouse cursor. Seriously Apple, it's actually pathos.

Pathetic.

It's a little clearer, but I still don't know what it means.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I have no idea what this is even supposed to mean, so I ran it through Google Translate and came up with:

It's a little clearer, but I still don't know what it means.

He added an extra "Apple" and then he bitched about something silly just to bitch. If I hadn't added him to my ignore list my first question would have been to take what he wrote and switch it out with features in which Safari trounced Chrome, like History.

My second question would be to wonder why he thinks Apple wants to "crush" Google? I'd think getting people off a multi-platform WebKit-based browser would be the last of their concerns since: 1) it will pull people from Firefox thus helping modern WebKit support on websites, and 2) help pull more people off the most used browser on the planet which in turn could help sell more Macs with knowledge of a user's most used app will be available on their new OS.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Does anyone know if 5.0.1 has the same version of WebKit as 5.0?

Safari 5.0 - WebKit 533.16

Safari 5.0.1 - WebKit 533.17.8