Aussie paper says iPhone 4 antenna is no problem, Kiwi launch hits snag

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One of the largest publications in Australia has found no major reception problems with Apple's newly released iPhone 4, while the problematic New Zealand launch was delayed a few hours.

Daily Telegraph: No reception issues

Stephen French, national technology writer for Australia's The Daily Telegraph, gave a glowing review to Apple's iPhone 4 on Friday. Using it for nearly a week, he has not dropped calls or noticed any impact on the device's performance.

The writer managed to replicate some of the signal issues experienced by users when covering the bottom left of the iPhone 4. However, it was not enough to hamper his experience with the smartphone.

French tested the Australian version of the iPhone 4 without a case on all of the country's four carriers that offer Apple's handset. The device was used on the Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and 3 networks in parts of Sydney with varying signal strengths.

"I tried the 'death grip' on the bottom left while making test calls in areas I knew to have weaker reception and the times I did manage to reduce the signal bars... my calls were still not affected," he wrote. "The worst thing that happened was a web page I was loading timed out but after refreshing it came up fine. I even managed to watch a YouTube video over 3G while in the 'death grip.'"

French said that call quality was improved over the iPhone 3GS, and he found that holding the handset in the "death grip" manner was unnatural.

"The iPhone 4 is not just a slight improvement over the iPhone 3GS, it is a massive jump," he said. "There are so many great enhancements across the board it will be hard for existing iPhone owners to resist and a great place to start for users who are new to the smartphone market."

New Zealand launch hits snag

iPhone 4 buyers who lined up overnight in New Zealandto purchase Apple's latest handset came away disappointed on Friday, as the launch was delayed a few hours. According to stuff.co.nz, the handset was eventually available through select Vodafone stores by midday.

The carrier would not comment on what caused an apparent delay of the launch, though some speculated it was caused by a shipping delay.

Though the morning launch was delayed, about 100 people lined up outside the Vodafone Lambton Quay store in Wellington about 4 hours later to purchase the iPhone 4. One customer reportedly referred to the launch as an "epic fail."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 132
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Since one customer said that, it must be true!
  • Reply 2 of 132
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    I guess we can all go back to blaming AT&T for the reception problems here?
  • Reply 3 of 132
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    You do have to remember when referring to The Daily Telegraph's report that the mobile cell towers have a much better coverage in Australia than they do in the States. Australian telecommunications technology is around 4 years ahead of the US, and our coverage with 3G is basically ubiquitous.

The signals received by an iPhone 4 in Australia will generally be extremely high quality - well into the "5-bar spectrum", and so no amount of touching to that antenna will cause an iPhone to lose even a bar. Say it drops from -51 to -66. It still won't cause even a bar to drop, here in Australia, due to the high quality of our mobile networks.

I personally handled an iPhone 4 today at its release in Australia. I'm on the waiting list for one currently, as they were sold out hours before I got there. (I'm in the Royal Australian Navy and was on duty during the launch) Impeccable quality, and brilliant screen. I attempted to attenuate the signal of the display device, and I had no effect no matter how many times and ways I touched it. But our signals are better here. I can understand and appreciate that this may not be the case in a place such as the US, and I think its fair to state the differences between those two different locales as a factor.
  • Reply 4 of 132
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

You do have to remember when referring to The Daily Telegraph's report that the mobile cell towers have a much better coverage in Australia than they do in the States. Australian telecommunications technology is around 4 years ahead of the US, and our coverage with 3G is basically ubiquitous.

The signals received by an iPhone 4 in Australia will generally be extremely high quality - well into the "5-bar spectrum", and so no amount of touching to that antenna will cause an iPhone to lose even a bar. Say it drops from -51 to -66. It still won't cause even a bar to drop, here in Australia, due to the high quality of our mobile networks.

I personally handled an iPhone 4 today at its release in Australia. I'm on the waiting list for one currently, as they were sold out hours before I got there. (I'm in the Royal Australian Navy and was on duty during the launch) Impeccable quality, and brilliant screen. I attempted to attenuate the signal of the display device, and I had no effect no matter how many times and ways I touched it. But our signals are better here. I can understand and appreciate that this may not be the case in a place such as the US, and I think its fair to state the differences between those two different locales as a factor.

Total BS.

Australia had the SLOWEST 3G iphone speed in the wired.com survey.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/08/global-iphone-3/
  • Reply 5 of 132
    samvsamv Posts: 7member
    Just ordered iPhone 4 (32GB) from Apple Australia (web order) soon after the site started accepting web orders. Delivery 27 August! Another four week wait!?
  • Reply 6 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Total BS.

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with what he said.

I'm embarassed for you.
  • Reply 7 of 132
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Total BS.

You're actually completely misinformed. They probably don't talk much about it out there in Massachusetts. But the 3G in France is much slower.
  • Reply 8 of 132
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Since one customer said that, it must be true!

Mate, now you're being unreasonable. It's in the news and the blogs. Not just one customer... The NZ launch had some definite snags. Remember, this is outside the US, Australia and New Zealand are considered backwaters by all the big companies sometimes. Australia only recently in the past few years got taken more seriously by Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 132
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Total BS.

lol. you quote a 2 year old "study" from a magazine, and wired at that.
  • Reply 10 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Mate, now you're being unreasonable. It's in the news and the blogs. Not just one customer... The NZ launch had some definite snags. Remember, this is outside the US, Australia and New Zealand are considered backwaters by all the big companies sometimes. Australia only recently in the past few years got taken more seriously by Apple.

Snags? Yes.

Epic fail? That sounds like an overstatement. (If you read the comment of the person quoted).
  • Reply 11 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I guess we can all go back to blaming AT&T for the reception problems here?

I think so, I really do. The global feedback on the antenna seems good so far.
  • Reply 12 of 132
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Disregard
  • Reply 13 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Snags? Yes.

Epic fail? That sounds like an overstatement. (If you read the comment of the person quoted).

Fair enough. I'm not in New Zealand so I don't know how bad it was if it qualified as an "epic fail". Of which their are varying levels of epic failure...
  • Reply 14 of 132
    This is an epic fail.

• Reply 15 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with what he said.

I'm embarassed for you.

No, it has EVERYTHING to do with what he said.

People only complained about AT&T's "weak" network --- because they compare it with Verizon's "THE network".

But when you actually do a international comparison, AT&T ended up with the 3rd fastest 3G iphone speed in the world.

So now instead of what he claims that Australia is 4 years ahead of US in mobile technology --- it is actually the other way around. Australian carriers are a couple of years behind AT&T --- which in turn AT&T is a couple of years behind Verizon.

AT&T's network ain't that bad when you compare it with the rest of the world.
  • Reply 16 of 132
    This is a snag.

So we'll have to see how bad it was in NZ
  • Reply 17 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Telstra's Next G network does look rather impressive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_G - I don't see AT&T anywhere near those speeds in any reports!

99% population coverage perhaps.. However you can see clearly there's big patches of nothing there (of course, there's generally noone in those places to complain).

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/nextg/coverage.html
  • Reply 18 of 132
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Not only that the data was skewed by the results of one company (Optus) bringing down the average.

Our networks are continuously being upgraded especially in metropolitan areas where 7.2Mbps is the norm and has been since 2009.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

lol. you quote a 2 year old "study" from a magazine, and wired at that.

• Reply 19 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Not only that the data was skewed by the results of one company (Optus) bringing down the average.

Our networks are continuously being upgraded especially in metropolitan areas where 7.2Mbps is the norm and has been since 2009.

American comparison is skewed because Americans compare AT&T's "weak" network with Verizon's "THE network" --- the bell curve was skewed.
  • Reply 20 of 132
    Quote:

No, it has EVERYTHING to do with what he said.

People only complained about AT&T's "weak" network --- because they compare it with Verizon's "THE network".

But when you actually do a international comparison, AT&T ended up with the 3rd fastest 3G iphone speed in the world.

So now instead of what he claims that Australia is 4 years ahead of US in mobile technology --- it is actually the other way around. Australian carriers are a couple of years behind AT&T --- which in turn AT&T is a couple of years behind Verizon.

AT&T's network ain't that bad when you compare it with the rest of the world.

samab, get real. Both Verizon and ATT are truly backward compared to what is available in much of the rest of the world, regardless of what some silly publication like Wired claims. Travel around, and you'll realize that these two pathetic companies are seriously holding our country back in terms of quality and service of cellular communications.

I vaguely recall that you work for Verizon (sorry if I am wrong about that), so perhaps you are not entirely unbiased.