Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Yet another rumor has suggested that Apple will release a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone 4 in January of 2011, citing industry sources who claim the company has ordered millions of chips for production starting in December.

TechCrunch reported Sunday that Apple is planning to begin production of a Verizon iPhone in December, citing informants in the overseas supply chain. That would put the handset on track for a January launch -- a date that has been previously rumored.

"Sources with knowledge of this entire situation have assured me that Apple has submitted orders for millions of units of Qualcomm CDMA chips for a Verizon iPhone run due in December," author Steve Cheney wrote. "This production run would likely be for a January launch and I'd bet the phone is nearly 100% consistent with the current iPhone 4 (with a fixed internal insulator on the antenna)."

The report also noted that the CEO of Verizon is scheduled to give the opening keynote at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, and the announcement of a Verizon iPhone could serve as a bombshell for the show. Cheney gave the caveat that he cannot say "with 100% accuracy" that a Verizon iPhone will arrive in January, though he said that "all of the signals point that way."

Rumors of a Verizon iPhone have persisted for some time, but reports of the device launching in the coming months have gained considerable steam of late. In June, when Bloomberg said it was told that Apple would start selling a CDMA handset in 2011, marking the end of exclusivity in the U.S. for AT&T.

Soon after, another report alleged that Apple has built and perfected a CDMA iPhone, and could quickly begin production of the device whenever a deal is struck with Verizon. An earlier June report alleged that Apple would ship a Verizon iPhone in the fourth quarter of 2010, also citing industry sources.

The endless Verizon iPhone rumors quieted earlier this year, when Apple announced the iPad, and the 3G-capable version of its touchscreen tablet was not compatible with Verizon's network. But they picked up again, when The Wall Street Journal, in late March, said that Apple was working on two new iPhones -- the iPhone 4, and a CDMA-capable version that were said to go into mass production in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 152
    We all know that this is coming, but really?

Reminds of the epitaph on the tombstone of a hypochondriac:

"See, I told you I was sick!"
  • Reply 2 of 152
    What would really lock this rumor in is if there was proof that Verizon is currently scrambling to upgrade and expand their network in anticipation of handling the instantly added call and date load when the iPhone went live on their system.
  • Reply 3 of 152
    Call me when Apple and Verizon have a joint press conference.
  • Reply 4 of 152
    I wish this rumour would die already. A Verizon iPhone - which, btw, wouldn't even have the option of a carrier unlock and would only be ever sold with Verizon, a large but limited market - has been set for a guaranteed at least a dozen times since release.
  • Reply 5 of 152
    I say keep the rumors coming. The one thing we all know for sure....one day the rumor will prove to be right!

One day....one day.
  • Reply 6 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... I'd bet the phone is nearly 100% consistent with the current iPhone 4 (with a fixed internal insulator on the antenna)....

Whatever the veracity of the rest of it, this part (bolded) would seem to be an add-on guess by the person in question. It doesn't appear to even make sense. "fixed internal insulator"???

This person doesn't know what they are talking about at least in that regard.
  • Reply 7 of 152
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    >>> The report also noted that the CEO of Verizon is scheduled to give the opening keynote at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, and the announcement of a Verizon iPhone could serve as a bombshell for the show.

I would think Apple would reserve the announcement for themselves.
  • Reply 8 of 152
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Is there an option of a carrier unlock in the US right now with the iPhone? Nope. If you want to use your iPhone in Europe, even though the networks are compatible, you have to jailbreak because AT&T will do nothing for you. And if you've fulfilled your 2 years with AT&T, can you get a carrier unlock to use it with T-Mobile? Nope. So the current iPhone might as well be a CDMA phone for all the good it will do you on a GSM network besides AT&T.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I wish this rumour would die already. A Verizon iPhone - which, btw, wouldn't even have the option of a carrier unlock and would only be ever sold with Verizon, a large but limited market - has been set for a guaranteed at least a dozen times since release.

• Reply 9 of 152
    God I hate Verizon and CDMA. But this is welcome news and long overdue. Apple should have ended the deal with AT&T immediately after they dumped unlimited data plans for iPhone and iPad.

My assumption is that Apple has been building & testing a CDMA handset internally for years, much in the same way they announced that they had Intel builds of OS X internally from the beginning, long before they dumped PowerPC.
  • Reply 10 of 152
    boerboer Posts: 16member
    Somebody please explain to me what use would this CDMA iPhone be when the only place (?) with extensive CDMA networks is the USA? The previous iPhone models work everywhere as GSM networks are ubiqutous globally.

How would this new iPhone be branded? "The new iPhone USA. Because that is where it works.", or "The new iPhone 5. With more limited network coverage."

Or are everyone assuming that the next iPhone would support CDMA in addition to GSM and UMTS? Then it would make sense.
  • Reply 11 of 152
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boer View Post

Or are everyone assuming that the next iPhone would support CDMA in addition to GSM and UMTS? Then it would make sense.

I hope not, why would anyone outside the US want to pay extra for CDMA internals, that most of them would likely never use?
  • Reply 12 of 152
    Quote:

Somebody please explain to me what use would this CDMA iPhone be when the only place (?) with extensive CDMA networks is the USA? The previous iPhone models work everywhere as GSM networks are ubiqutous globally.

How would this new iPhone be branded? "The new iPhone USA. Because that is where it works.", or "The new iPhone 5. With more limited network coverage."

There are enough rumors about CDMA iPhones on this site that one could make an entire site out of them. I think what you are looking for is China. They use CDMA as well.
  • Reply 13 of 152
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:

China's largest carrier uses CDMA. They have over 300 million customers. They have said that they want the iPhone on their network. That alone is worth it.
  • Reply 14 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Supporting both chips is costly in every way. From actual chip costs and licensing fees to size and power efficiency. It’s the least likely thing to happen to the iPhone. If it’s so great an option why aren’t all these other vendors who make larger phones not simply making all their phones both CDMA and GSM for the same model if it’s such an ideal solution? They aren’t because it’s a very niche solution with too many limitations right now to be viable.

And there is a huge number of CDMA users in the US and one thing holding back the iPhone sales on two fronts (assuming they weren’t already selling every model they can make). One, some people can’t or won’t change to AT&T. There are valid reasons for this. Two, there are plenty of countries Apple has tapped that an iconic status symbol like the iPhone would sell well, though not in the numbers we’d see in the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

China's largest carrier uses CDMA. They have over 300 million customers. They have said that they want the iPhone on their network. That alone is worth it.

No, it’s not. There smallest carrier with only 65M subs is CDMA. There two largest MNOs account for about 12x as many subs are GSM-based with their largest carrier with over 550M subs using TD-SCDMA for their 3G. TD-SCDMA is not CDMA. It’s an alternative to W-CDMA, which the iPhone and Europe uses, and even uses the same UMTS air interface. It’s not CDMA!!!!

PS: WHy does this keep getting pushed around as fact when it’s complete BS?
  • Reply 15 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I've been skeptical in the past. But this time, I am going "hmmmm.....".

ATT made some recent comments in their 10Q that would lead me to conclude that this could, indeed, be happening: http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...d=yahoobarrons
  • Reply 16 of 152
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

By your logic, why does anyone bother making any phone for Verizon and Sprint?

There are more CDMA users in the US than GSM. Apparently those people are satisfied with their coverage and are not all running to ATT and Tmobile.
  • Reply 17 of 152
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn, Another rumor.

Eventually it might happen but nobody really knows. While ATT is building up its line up with the new droid and the new blackberry touch it looks possible. However a January launch???? after the holidays?????
  • Reply 18 of 152
    Quote:

I don't think the iPhone has a branding problem.
  • Reply 19 of 152

Here's a thought?

Could Apple successfully release a CDMA iPhone without a Verizon deal?

Let' look at the US potential for a CDMA iPhone:

If Apple signs up Sprint Nextel they would gain an immediate 48.2 million potential subscribers-- or an addition of 50% of their current potential with AT&T. If Apple signs up the second tier carriers, that's another 40 million potential subscribers.

Gene Munster estimates that US iPhone sales for this year will be "AT&T which we estimate will sell 15.8M units to its sub base of 82.5M." That equals 19% of the AT&T subscribes (for the whole year-- or [roughly] 5% of the subscriber base per quarter.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_verizon.html

Apple's world-wide sales last year skewed to the last quarter Oct-Dec-- about 35%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IP...er_quarter.svg

Let's be conservative, and not take into account any buzz associated with the iPhone being available for the first time on these carriers. Also, let's ignore the second tier carriers and assume only Sprint Nextel's 48 million subscribers. Finally, lets assume that Apple announces availability of a CDMA iPhone on Sprint beginning Oct 1, 2010.

Assume Munster's [adjusted} percentage applies--5% per quarter of total subs. We'll ignore any skewing of 4th quarter holiday sales.

48 million Nextel subs x 5% penetration == 2.4 million CDMA iPhone 4s to Nextel in 4Q CY 2010.

Not too bad!

But the story doesn't end there. If you cherry pick some world-wide carriers, you get a lot more potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs.

and

That's over 110 million additional potential CDMA iPhone 4 subs in just 2 world markets.

Finally, a CDMA iPhone 4 deal with Sprint would certainly end the AT&T exclusivity agreement.

That potentially opens up a deal with T-Moblle and its 33.6 million subs for a GSM iPhone 4.

Hmmmm.

All charts are from links at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators

• Reply 20 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

However a January launch???? after the holidays?????

From a production/quality control/logistics standpoint, it might be easier for Apple to wait until after the Christmas season. Esp. if they are also coming out with their white iPhone by that point.