Where Does the GOP Find These People?

1202122232426»

Comments

• jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Actually it does. You just won't accept it. The answer is you pay for less things. You cut spending. You stop paying for things that the government shouldn't be paying for. It is that simple. It might be hard to achieve, but it really is that simple

Quote:

The answer is you pay for less things. You cut spending. You stop paying for things that the government shouldn't be paying for.

Uh yeah. That'll help. Hard doesn't begin to discribe it. many would suffer in what is already a bad situation. What do you think that would do to the economy? People who are already suffering and doing with less would have nothing. This where I parted company with the Libertarains before. They have this great idea that taxes are evil ( I don't like them either ) but don't have a good replacement for them. " Cut spending " Stop goverment intrusion ". Those are easy things to say but when you look at the fine print for an alternative method for keeping things going there's nothing there.
  • mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Uh yeah. That'll help.

Yes, it will.

Quote:

Hard doesn't begin to discribe it. many would suffer in what is already a bad situation.

Possibly. In the immediate short term. In the longer term not so much.

Quote:

What do you think that would do to the economy?

Help it grow.

Quote:

People who are already suffering and doing with less would have nothing.

Not necessarily.

Quote:

They have this great idea that taxes are evil ( I don't like them either ) but don't have a good replacment for them. "

And the problem you have is that you assume you do need to replace them.

Quote:

Cut spending " Stop goverment intrusion ". Those are easy things to say but when you look at the fine print for an alternative there's nothing there.

That you have looked beyond a superficial analysis of this would be quite surprising to me.
    Quote:

Yes, it will.

Possibly. In the immediate short term. In the longer term not so much.

Help it grow.

Not necessarily.

And the problem you have is that you assume you do need to replace them.

That you have looked beyond a superficial analysis of this would be quite surprising to me.

It's pretty obvious to many that this would just make things worse possibly throw us into a real depression and not really help things at all.

Also that " Short term " might last a very long time. Then when it makes a bigger mess of things you'll want to blame it all on Obama.
    Quote:

It's pretty obvious to many...

Brilliant argument.
    Quote:

Brilliant argument.

About yours I was just thinking the same thing. Full of volume short on substance.

You're recomending throwing people to the wolves to solve things ( which it won't ). Yeah I want to vote for your party ( whoever that is.... ).
    Quote:

You're recomending throwing people to the wolves to solve things

No I'm not. Stop it. \
    Quote:

No I'm not. Stop it. \

Quote:

It might be hard to achieve, but it really is that simple.

Uh huh. If not how would you achieve this without throwing people to the wolves?

That would be that " Hard to achieve " part. Like I said this is where I parted comapany with the Libertarians because they just couldn't get past this one. And MJ this is doubly true in the current situation.
    Quote:

Uh huh. If not how would you achieve this without throwing people to the wolves?

Since I'm not suggesting (or planning on) "throwing people to the wolves," I reject the premise on which your question is based.

Quote:

That would be that " Hard to achieve " part.

The hard to achieve part is the political will to do the right thing in the face of ignorance among the populace.
    Quote:

Since I'm not suggesting (or planning on) "throwing people to the wolves," I reject the premise on which your question is based.

Like I've said no answers there. Just stop paying for things and get goverment out of things and things will magically heal themselves. Oh well.
  • tontontonton Posts: 14,063member
    Ever heard the phrase, "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer?" Any idea how long its been around? Do you know why that phrase is so common and has been around for so long?

Because that's the way it works in a free-market system!

The reason it works that way is because the rich have the power. They don't want to allow their profits to "trickle down" if they can find an alternative. And there's always an alternative when they have the power. If there were no minimum wage, combined with no welfare, for instance, the unemployment rate would be absolutely fantastic news for the rich. The unemployment rate would FORCE the poor to take $1 an hour jobs wihout benefits, because their alternative would be living on the street and eating from garbage cans. And this is what Libertarians want. Fantastic.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ever heard the phrase, "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer?" Any idea how long its been around? Do you know why that phrase is so common and has been around for so long?

The reason it works that way is because the rich have the power. They don't want to allow their profits to "trickle down" if they can find an alternative. And there's always an alternative when they have the power. If there were no minimum wage, combined with no welfare, for instance, the unemployment rate would be absolutely fantastic news for the rich. The unemployment rate would FORCE the poor to take $1 an hour jobs wihout benefits, because their alternative would be living on the street and eating from garbage cans.

Exactly.
    Quote:

The reason it works that way is because the rich have the power. They don't want to allow their profits to "trickle down" if they can find an alternative. And there's always an alternative when they have the power. If there were no minimum wage, combined with no welfare, for instance, the unemployment rate would be absolutely fantastic news for the rich. The unemployment rate would FORCE the poor to take $1 an hour jobs wihout benefits, because their alternative would be living on the street and eating from garbage cans.

Quote:

As you would say :

Quote:

Brilliant argument.

Quote:

As you would say :

Well, I chose the most appropriate response to such an ignorant and ill-informed post.
    Time to " move on " folks! No answers here. Just the same old song and dance from the conservative end of things. Oh well.
    Quote:

Well, I chose the most appropriate response to such an ignorant and ill-informed post.

And so he goes again. He has absolutely no argument against what's been said, so he simply states that his opponent is ignorant.

If he had an argument, he would state it. But he won't. Watch. As Jimmac says, "no answers here".

Free market capitalists have no answers. Just dogma.

Meanwhile, the rich keep getting richer during the economic downturn.

Count... 5. 4. 3. 2. 1...

MJ1970 attacks the source. Which would be hard, since the source is Forbes Magazine's annual non-editorial reporting of the income of the top 400 Americans.
    Quote:

The top 400, all of whom are worth at least $1 billion, saw their combined wealth increase 8 percent this year, to the dizzying total of $1.37 trillion, according to analysis from CNN.

Meanwhile, according to data released last week by the Federal Reserve, the net worth of American households and non-profits in the second quarter of this year plunged 2.8 percent, or $1.52 trillion, from the previous quarter, to settle at $53.5 trillion.

Rolleyes in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1...
    Quote:

And so he goes again. He has absolutely no argument against what's been said, so he simply states that his opponent is ignorant.

If he had an argument, he would state it. But he won't. Watch. As Jimmac says, "no answers here".

Free market capitalists have no answers. Just dogma.

Meanwhile, the rich keep getting richer during the economic downturn.

Count... 5. 4. 3. 2. 1...

MJ1970 attacks the source. Which would be hard, since the source is Forbes Magazine's annual non-editorial reporting of the income of the top 400 Americans.

Even if he does attack the source can he argue against the facts presented therein?

I like this one :
    Quote:

Charles and David Koch, the manufacturing and energy titans and Tea Party movement bankrollers, profiled by Jane Mayer in The New Yorker last month, tied for fifth place with $21.5 billion apiece.

I don't think these items should go away so quickly so bump!