Government is not the solution to our problem, it IS the problem

Posted:
in PoliticalOutsider edited January 2014
Let's document the many, many instances of government action, inaction, policy, mismanagement, etc. which have exacerbated more problems than they have mitigated, or caused more problems than they have solved.

The list grows daily.

I'll kick things off with this little gem:

The Pollution Solution: Stopping the environment's worst enemy

Quote:

Our government, at the federal, state, and local levels, is the single greatest polluter in the land.

Comments

• camp davidcamp david Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Let's document the many, many instances of government action, inaction, policy, mismanagement, etc. which have exacerbated more problems than they have mitigated, or caused more problems than they have solved.

From last week...

Homeland Security Accused of Wasting $500M on Nuke Precautions for Border

By Catherine Herridge

Published September 23, 2010

FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...ending-border/

The Department of Homeland Security has wasted up to nearly a half billion dollars in taxpayer money and time on its current plans to develop technology at the nation's borders to detect nuclear material being smuggled into the country, according to two recent GAO reports cited by a Republican senator on Thursday. In one program, the Government Accountability Office concluded the technology was being pushed too hard too fast. In another case, the equipment was too big and it didn't fit into the cargo container inspection lanes. ?This is not a picture of good government at work,? said Gene Aloise, a senior investigator with the GAO who covers homeland security. He added that the department had been warned repeatedly about the problems. ?It's not good government, it's not best practices and in some cases it wasn't even common sense.?
  • john galtjohn galt Posts: 957member
    Quote:

Our government, at the federal, state, and local levels, is the single greatest polluter in the land.

I don't know if it's our government that can make that claim, when Russian nuclear reactor and missile waste litters the ocean, many more of their nuclear submarines are rotting away in drydock, and nuclear waste sites abound:

Russian nuclear waste in watery limbo

Quote:

Until 1990, the Soviet Navy routinely dumped radioactive waste in Far Eastern and Arctic waters. ... between 1964 and 1991 the former Soviet Union dumped the total of 4,900 containers of solid nuclear waste in Arctic seas, and 6,868 containers in the Pacific. Furthermore, the Russian navy simply sank 57 vessels filled with nuclear waste. Sixteen decommissioned reactors were also sent to the deep, including six with unloaded fuel.

Of Russia's 150 decommissioned nuclear submarines, only 16 have been properly dismantled, ... The rest still have fuel in their reactors and are rusting away in Arctic and far eastern harbors, posing a threat to the environment. ... Many decommissioned submarines were in poor condition to begin with, and haven't had proper maintenance for a decade or more. Some are rusted through and are half-submerged, and many others may leak if an attempt is made to move them.

France's Nuclear Waste Heads to Russia

Quote:

4,500 to 6,000 tonnes annually - is sent to Russia, where it undergoes "enrichment" to turn it back into fuel for nuclear power plants.

Except they can't seem to keep track of it:

Nuclear Waste Piling Up at Russia's Overloaded Facilities

Quote:

Security around Russian nuclear waste facilities is very low, they warn. Any country sending nuclear waste to Russia must understand that there is a high risk that the waste might end up in the hands of terrorists and could be used for weapons of mass destruction.

"Anyone who is able to pay some hundreds of Rubles (US$20-30) to the security guards, can get into the secured areas" at Mayak, they write. They explain that the social situation in many closed nuclear units and settlements near nuclear power plants is "socially unfavorable," for personnel. "Alcohol and drug addictions are widespread." In addition to these problems, smuggling of radioactive materials is taking place under the noses of customs officials, the authors say.

Russian nuclear waste dumped off Sweden

Quote:

Historically, the Soviet Union and Russia have disposed of radioactive waste in three ways: by dumping it into the Baltic and Arctic Seas as well as into the northern Pacific (primarily the Sea of Japan); by placing it in storage sites on the Kola Peninsula in the Russian North, and on the Shkotovo and Kamchatka Peninsulas in the Russian Far East; and by holding radioactive waste on storage ships servicing the Northern and Pacific fleets... These methods of radioactive waste disposal, coupled with a series of submarine accidents, have resulted in the contamination of naval facilities, as well as their surrounding environments. Continued contamination of the Arctic and northern Pacific regions poses a serious threat to marine ecology and could have significant economic and social costs for Russia, Japan, and the Scandinavian countries that maintain fisheries in these areas.

The Russian Northern Fleet Nuclear submarine accidents

Quote:

The nuclear submarine Komsomolets sank in the Norwegian Sea on April 7, 1989, south of Bear Island. The submarine sank with its reactor and two nuclear warheads on board, and lies at a depth of 1 685 metres.

Quote:

...gamma radiation in the reactor compartment increased to 150 R/h. Radioactive gases were released to the reactor compartment from the safety buffer tank, and radiation on board the submarine increased. The reactor was shut down, and approximately 20% of the fuel assemblies were damaged. ... The entire submarine was scuttled in the Kara Sea in 1981.

Quote:

... K-192 was laid up at the base facility in the Ara Bay until 1994 when it was towed to Navy yard No. 10 - Shkval. Compressed air is now pumped into the hull to maintain buoyancy. The fuel assemblies in the damaged reactor cannot be removed by standard procedures.

The list goes on... and on... and on, and that includes only what we know about.

And tree-huggers are worried about styrofoam cups.
    I have several, courtesy of my local electric company, since I won't pay a nickel for the damn twisty things. Two of them burned out after several months. How much was that supposed to save?

Good thing I didn't break 'em. I don't know what happened after the trash hauler threw the bags in his truck, though.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,932member
    The examples are too numerous for me to mention, but this should be an enjoyable thread.

(Sits back and watches the show)
  • tontontonton Posts: 14,064member
    And of course when Government does one particular thing inefficiently, then the solution is to get rid of government.

If something doesn't work right, you fix it. You don't throw it away.
  • jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Who said the solution is anarchy?

Less government - LIMITED government is the real solution.

When the government oversteps its constitutional bounds, we get stuff like this:

Federal Make-Work Jobs Betray Teenagers
  • brbr Posts: 8,255member
    It's a self-fulfulling prophecy. Republicans run on "government is useless, government can't do anything right." Then, when they get elected and inevitably block good legislation or act like corrupt hypocrites, they get to say "SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, WE TOLD YOU GOV'T DOESN'T WORK! DON'T ELECT PEOPLE WHO THINK IT CAN! ELECT US!!!!!"

Also, can we have a "letting corporations do whatever the fuck they want is a far worse alternative" thread?
  • tontontonton Posts: 14,064member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Who said the solution is anarchy?

Less government - LIMITED government is the real solution.

When the government oversteps its constitutional bounds, we get stuff like this:

Federal Make-Work Jobs Betray Teenagers

Anyway, the first thing we should do to make Government more efficient is to get rid of the filibuster. I don't care if it's done when the Republicans have a majority or when the Democrats have a majority. It needs to be killed.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Anyway, the first thing we should do to make Government more efficient is to get rid of the filibuster. I don't care if it's done when the Republicans have a majority or when the Democrats have a majority. It needs to be killed.

If we can't return the government to its Constitutional limits, the next best thing is for it to remain as stagnant as possible.

Eliminate the filibuster and the result will be the government exacerbating or creating even more problems with more frequency.
    Watch the following documentary. It is old (1985), but still quite relevant and illuminating as to just how "effective" the War on Poverty has been.

Good Intentions

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
  • camp davidcamp david Posts: 692member
    Quote:

THE FILIBUSTER IS NOT THE PROBLEM...

Spineless democrats now have responsibility and majorities in the House, Senate, and White House but they pathetically blame the filibuster as their Achilles' heel; sorry, the filibuster is not the problem! Democrats (and Republicans) problem, and the government's problem to a large degree, is FAILURE TO LISTEN TO AMERICANS. That is what gave rise to the Tea Party - that government has failed to listen to America. The phenomenal growth of bureaucracy is the problem; a bureaucracy that exists separate and apart from the rest of the nation. Our national infrastructure is crumbing but the U.S. Government is building monoliths of government buildings to house its largess. Our state roads are in terrible shape but Washington is pouring money into federalism in Washington; government, particularly the federal government, has moved away from Americans and that is the problem; the filibuster is not the problem!
    Quote:

A lot of things need to be killed in Washington, but I would caution against more efficiency in the Senate. More efficiency can easily become more oppressive.

The Senate was intended to be the more learned, deliberative body of Congress. Its filibuster and cloture rules evolved gradually over the past century and a half. Their constitutionality has always been debatable, but advocating removal of the filibuster brings Senate rules closer to the House, further muddying any distinction between the two.

I think you'd have to dig deeper to find the roots of government's failure. Your research would be incomplete without addressing the 17th amendment, which took Senate appointments away from the States and turned it over to the people. The intent was to have more populist control over the Senate, but it also served to significantly diminish state rights in favor of Federalism.

The 17th was adopted in 1913. A lot of ill traces its lineage back to that time
    A fantastic and oft-overlooked point about the 17th Amendment, john galt. I think much ill has its beginnings in the 16th, as well.
  • mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Oh, and hey, the Fed was created that year too.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Oh, and hey, the Fed was created that year too.

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote

Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

... A lot of ill traces its lineage back to that time

• mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote

Yeah. The more one looks, the more clear it becomes that 1913 was the most discernible beginning of the end.
    And... the first week in March is proclaimed "cuss free". I presume the legislature is scheduled to be in recess then.

Quote:

"If we all focus on the budget, then we're going to crash," says Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, who persuaded colleagues to pass her plan to create the "Lobster Management Enhancement Advisory Committee." It is designed to help the state's estimated 200 lobstermen trap California spiny lobsters.

With the state's fourteen known lobsters now safe in their pots, let's all turn our attention to... the state rock!

Quote:

"It is the intent of the Legislature to remove serpentine as the State Rock and provide for a suitable replacement." The problem is, serpentine can contain small amounts of asbestos. "We shouldn't have a known carcinogen as the California state rock," says Ms. Romero, a Democrat.

Your tax dollars at work!

Quote:

"The state's broke," says Assemblyman Chris Norby, a Republican. "Is this really what we should be spending our time on?"

Mr Norby, with your state in the hole budget-wise, I'd imagine your question is... moo.

There's No Budget, but California Is All Over the Foreign-Cow Issue
  • formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Subpoena power in BP oil spill investigation blocked by Senate Republicans

Quote:

Blocking subpoena power in disaster investigative commissions is unheard of. The terrorists crisis, the financial crisis and Three Mile Island commissions all had subpoena power. However, Senate Republicans gave no explanation on Monday when they blocked the Presidential Commission on the BP oil spill from having subpoena power to conduct the investigation.

• gerald applegerald apple Posts: 334member
    if you were president of the United States what would you do to make the country better?
  • gerald applegerald apple Posts: 334member
    Quote:

I agree with you 100%. That is the republicans answer filibuster everything they see or hear about.