Apple's iPad coming to AT&T and Verizon stores on October 28th

Comments

• Reply 21 of 125
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This is the start of the Apple-Verizon relationship. I think it's pretty clear now that we'll see the iPhone on Verizon next year...

Anyways.. Verizon's data plans for the iPad is better than AT&T's I think..

Something would have to go very, very wrong for iPhone not to be on Verizon by end of 2011.
  • Reply 22 of 125
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

?We look forward to expanding the reach of iPad, allowing even more customers to experience the magic of iPad for themselves,? said Tim Cook, Apple?s COO.

Ugh. Ok, we get it - Steve Jobs wants to associate the words 'iPad' and 'magic' together at every opportunity. A year from now this will have all the cachet of glitter rainbow posters.

Apple, please find a different way to describe this product.
  • Reply 23 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

Fabulous! And just in time for the holidays...

I think it's a very good idea to offer it with the MiFi. It opens up lots of possibilities.

I just onder if Verizon has you go through some hoops when you use the MiFi (Kinda like at rest-areas' WiFi spots) in order to use it?

I haven't ever used a MiFi, so i don't know...

Great news though.

If it is anything like what I do with my Pre? All I do is turn the Mobile Hotspot App on, and the first time I connect a device, manually set it up with SPID and Security Key. After that? It just connects if the hotspot is on. Pretty seamless. And very similar pricing, and I think a clue as to how Verizon "values" data. $15 for 256 MB on AT&T is nothing data-wise. 1GB on VZW is a better deal @ $20. 3 GB is the same for both ($35), and 5 is a better deal on Verizon ($50 vs $55). This last part makes any data over 5GB a better deal on Verizon, if only because the 5GB base saves that $5.

Good they are different enough, good to have a choice. The added benefit of the MiFi is you can connect up to 5 devices at a time, the advantage to AT&T is you have one unit, and aren't sharing the data cap.

I think this may bolster the Verizon iPhone in 2011 chances as well.
  • Reply 24 of 125
    Welcome Verizon to the Apple retail & partner family... the Verizon iPhone is all but guaranteed now. Competition for AT&Terrible, welcome indeed.
  • Reply 25 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So if I want to use an iPad on Verizon's network, I have to carry two devices? No thanks. However it's interesting that they are selling it....

Agreed. What a bunch of crap from Verizon. I have to carry two devices around? .....and for slower access?
  • Reply 26 of 125
    Verizon solution does not include an iPad with a GPS chip (it is not the 3G model). Also, that MiFi can only last 4 hours.
  • Reply 27 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I note that they will sell non wi-fi versions too.

I think that is a misprint. I don't see any evidence on the Verizon site they are selling the 3G model.

Actually, the FAQ states they are only selling the WiFi, and not the WiFi+3G

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/ipad_faq.jsp
  • Reply 28 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

Fabulous! And just in time for the holidays...

I think it's a very good idea to offer it with the MiFi. It opens up lots of possibilities.

I just onder if Verizon has you go through some hoops when you use the MiFi (Kinda like at rest-areas' WiFi spots) in order to use it?

I haven't ever used a MiFi, so i don't know...

Great news though.

We have an iPad WiFi and an iPad WiFi + 3G

We're planning on getting another..

This gives us another option, the chance to try the MiFi, and a chance to try the VZ service...

VZ should allow pre-orders, tho...

Our local VZ store is adjacent to the ATT store... I think I'll meander down there on "availability" day and see wha's happenin'.
  • Reply 29 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So if I want to use an iPad on Verizon's network, I have to carry two devices? No thanks. However it's interesting that they are selling it....

mifi 2200 is the size of a credit card although a bit thicker.. More than small enough to fit almost any pocket..
  • Reply 30 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Agreed. What a bunch of crap from Verizon. I have to carry two devices around? .....and for slower access?

MiFi thingys are quite small, just turn it on, leave it in your pocket if you like, and iPad WiFi is good to go. It'll be good for those that hate ATT, albeit with a bit of inconvenience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

If it is anything like what I do with my Pre? All I do is turn the Mobile Hotspot App on, and the first time I connect a device, manually set it up with SPID and Security Key. After that? It just connects if the hotspot is on. Pretty seamless. And very similar pricing, and I think a clue as to how Verizon "values" data. $15 for 256 MB on AT&T is nothing data-wise. 1GB on VZW is a better deal @ $20. 3 GB is the same for both ($35), and 5 is a better deal on Verizon ($50 vs $55). This last part makes any data over 5GB a better deal on Verizon, if only because the 5GB base saves that $5.

Good they are different enough, good to have a choice. The added benefit of the MiFi is you can connect up to 5 devices at a time, the advantage to AT&T is you have one unit, and aren't sharing the data cap.

I think this may bolster the Verizon iPhone in 2011 chances as well.

Those Verizon plans look good. $15 for 256MB looks like you'd get it for emergencies only.

Have you compared the over limit charges? Is ATT $10 per GB as well? I'll Google it.
  • Reply 31 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We have an iPad WiFi and an iPad WiFi + 3G

We're planning on getting another..

This gives us another option, the chance to try the MiFi, and a chance to try the VZ service...

VZ should allow pre-orders, tho...

Our local VZ store is adjacent to the ATT store... I think I'll meander down there on "availability" day and see wha's happenin'.

Unfortunately no Verizon pre-orders...
  • Reply 32 of 125
    So VZ's standalone mifi device sells for $99 with a two year contract. But with the iPad bundle promo you'll pay $30 more for it to be non-contract. Basically pricing is the same with a 3G iPad. Big difference is you carry an extra although small device.

The difference that matters between VZ's and AT&T's iPad is the data plans.

I think Verizon's plans are better than AT&T...
  • Reply 33 of 125
    More choice is good, Verizon solution bad.

AT&T: For $629, I get the 3G+ WiFi model with a GPS Chip and free access to over 20,000 wireless hotspots.

Verizon: For $629, I only get the Wifi model (no GPS!) and I need to carry around a second device that only has a 4 hour capacity. No GPS, no free Wireless Hotspots. No thanks.

So, does this mean we will never see a CDMA iPad? What does that mean for the rumored CDMA iPhone? If Apple was planning for a CDMA iPhone, why wouldn't they also create a CDMA iPad?
  • Reply 34 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I note that they will sell non wi-fi versions too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

MiFi thingys are quite small, just turn it on, leave it in your pocket if you like, and iPad WiFi is good to go. It'll be good for those that hate ATT, albeit with a bit of inconvenience.

Those Verizon plans look good. $15 for 256MB looks like you'd get it for emergencies only.

Have you compared the over limit charges? Is ATT $10 per GB as well? I'll Google it.

AT&T is $10/GB over, starting at 2GB. so for 3GB, they are $35, like Verizon. They are the same for 4 GB ($45) and because Verizon at 5GB lowers the price a bit (by $5) anything over that is cheaper by $5 than the same on AT&T
  • Reply 35 of 125
    Verizon is going to automatically scoop up a ton of cash for the data plans because no one is going to be able to stay below 1gig a month. I investigated that mifi deal last winter for home use because i just moved and no friggen internet co would do an install in late november. I found that i would have quickly and easliy maxed out the 5gig in no time and at least at that time if you maxed out you would be out of data until the next month. I thought to myself that is nuts to get one if i run out. Shoot, i almost use a gig on the iPhone and there isnt even any files being transfered due to the fact that it isnt a computer that can send attachements other than the occassional photo sent to someone. Big deal if up to 5 other devices can get on the network, it will only mean running out of data quicker and before the end of the months plan.

Verizon is going to get a bunch of sheep in on the mifi thing and those good folks are going to slide into complacency when they get used to the fact that they are paying an additional $50 month.
  • Reply 36 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

More choice is good, Verizon solution bad.

AT&T: For $629, I get the 3G+ WiFi model with a GPS Chip and free access to over 20,000 wireless hotspots.

Verizon: For $629, I only get the Wifi model (no GPS!) and I need to carry around a second device that only has a 4 hour capacity. No GPS, no free Wireless Hotspots. No thanks.

So, does this mean we will never see a CDMA iPad? What does that mean for the rumored CDMA iPhone? If Apple was planning for a CDMA iPhone, why wouldn't they also create a CDMA iPad?

I doubt a CDMA iPad as there is a solution in place (what Verizon is doing). It isn't a phone that would need service.

As far as Verizon solution bad? Not as bad as you think. For the loss of GPS (not necessarily a deal breaker for most) you get to share the connection with up to 5 total devices at a time.
  • Reply 37 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

Verizon is going to automatically scoop up a ton of cash for the data plans because no one is going to be able to stay below 1gig a month. I investigated that mifi deal last winter for home use because i just moved and no friggen internet co would do an install in late november. I found that i would have quickly and easliy maxed out the 5gig in no time and at least at that time if you maxed out you would be out of data until the next month. I thought to myself that is nuts to get one if i run out. Shoot, i almost use a gig on the iPhone and there isnt even any files being transfered due to the fact that it isnt a computer that can send attachements other than the occassional photo sent to someone. Big deal if up to 5 other devices can get on the network, it will only mean running out of data quicker and before the end of the months plan.

Verizon is going to get a bunch of sheep in on the mifi thing and those good folks are going to slide into complacency when they get used to the fact that they are paying an additional $50 month.

While you are focusing on Verizon only, you do see the same exact issue on AT&T, right? Not to mention AT&T's $15 plan is 250 MB.
  • Reply 38 of 125
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    What exactly is the difference between Verizon's MiFi and Apple's first (pre-2000) Airport Base Station (the grey plastic disc), other than that was only WiFi-B?

(No mobile reception)
  • Reply 39 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I doubt a CDMA iPad as there is a solution in place (what Verizon is doing). It isn't a phone that would need service.

As far as Verizon solution bad? Not as bad as you think. For the loss of GPS (not necessarily a deal breaker for most) you get to share the connection with up to 5 total devices at a time.

GPS is like power windows in a car. Once you have it, you wonder how you lived without it.

5 devices will only chew up your data usage that much faster. Verizon will be happy, so will 4 of your cheapest friends.
  • Reply 40 of 125
    Damn, I didn't think I would get that much negative reaction. I just don't like carrying two devices.