Apple's share of U.S. PC market cracks the 10% barrier

Comments

• Reply 101 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

how do you get windows 7 onto a netbook that doesn't have a CD drive?

You don't. Pretty simple.
  • Reply 102 of 148
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Sol, you were pretty quick to jump on him/her, don't you think? If you ask me, I think, in terms of sales analysis, any machine that is purchased to replace what would have been a "computer" purchase otherwise, could and should be included in that sales category. It's pretty clear that the majority of iPad users are replacing most of their traditional "computing time" with "iPad time". If there wasn't any such thing as an iPad I'm sure that other "computers" would have been bought ..... wouldn't you agree?

1) I?m responding in kind to a poster that clearly didn?t read or comprehend what was written.

2) I do agree with you and made those points myself which is why I was attacked. My point is simple, the iPad is not included in their results and it?s clear where the draw the line, and we can infer many reasons as to why they draw the line.

3) It?s silly for poster to use original or literal definitions of terms in a fast moving industry, or even worse to become hypocritical about their definition by drawing their own lines of demarkation that suit their specific viewpoint even though in contradicts what they just stated.

4) In nearly every (if not every) category there will be items that one can clearly fit into more than one category depending on your usage, PoV, etc., but that doesn?t mean that the definition used by these analysts should alter simply because some internet forum poster wants them to change it. It also doesn?t change what that device does and if a user is really upset because the iPad can ?compute? and is ?personal? but not added to the ?PC? tallies because it doesn?t use a standard desktop OS. This isn?t even a case of not seeing the forest for the trees, it?s not seeing the tree for the bark.
  • Reply 103 of 148
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

how do you get windows 7 onto a netbook that doesn't have a CD drive? Those are still counted in sales of computers and are typically used by people who have another computer in their house or business.

How do you get a new OS release onto a MacBook Air? Those are still counted in sales of computers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You don't. Pretty simple.

LOL not so fast, Tallest... There are always external drives for netbooks. But most will just use it as it is with whatever OS is preloaded when they get it online or at the shop, and then pray that nothing will go wrong with the OS installation.

What's pretty simple is that iPad will be included as a computer in reports that are designed to make Apple stock go up, and vice versa.
  • Reply 104 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Way to pull usage of ?superfical? without understanding the point.. again.

I am only pulling out what you are writing. I made a list of tasks that the ipad does that are also done on computers and you called them superficial. So yes I pulled it out.

Quote:

2) You can?t have it both ways, .

Actually I can have it both ways... because apple has it both ways. They sell pages, numbers and keynote to ipad users but not iphone users. So there is a clear distinction drawn by apple. I would hardly call that hypocritical. And I would hardly call that idiotic ... two characterizations you have attributed to my posts.
  • Reply 105 of 148
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I am only pulling out what you are writing. I made a list of tasks that the ipad does that are also done on computers and you called them superficial. So yes I pulled it out.

Actually I can have it both ways... because apple has it both ways. They sell pages, numbers and keynote to ipad users but not iphone users. So there is a clear distinction drawn by apple. I would hardly call that hypocritical. And I would hardly call that idiotic ... two characterizations you have attributed to my posts.

I?m not sure what I?m more surprised by, your lack of reading comprehension or that fact that you keep digging yourself a deeper hole.
  • Reply 106 of 148
    Quote:

I?m not sure what I?m more surprised by, your lack of reading comprehension or that fact that you keep digging yourself a deeper hole.

I'm sure we are all glad we have you around to decide who is digging themselves in holes.
  • Reply 107 of 148
    Computer, peripheral, whatever you want to call it...

... Apple has 100% of the iPad market.

• Reply 108 of 148
    Quote:

how do you get windows 7 onto a netbook that doesn't have a CD drive?

C\setup.exe

Or perhaps you have to invoke a Wizard

• Reply 109 of 148
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Anything that "computes" is a computer. A calculator is called that because it doesn't compute, it calculates. There's a big difference. Look it up.

My car has several computers under the hood and none of them let me surf the internet. To upgrade the software I have drive over to the dealership and they hook it up to their computer. Many computers are designed for specific tasks, kind of like the iPad. It is design to be used in specific ways. It can't do everything that a desktop computer can do, but yes, it is still a computer.
  • Reply 110 of 148
    Quote:

I think satellite computer fits well with how Apple themselves have designed it. I?m sure the feature set will grow and I would like to think that one day Apple will allow you to operate the device without needing to ever connect it to ?PC? with iTunes to activate it.

I agree satellite computer fits well. While I don't think this is going to happen I feel that iTunes has become somewhat bloated. In part that is because it offers so much content. What would be nice at least for me is if iTunes was broken up kind of like iLife into different applications based on content.

Then again everytime I type that out it doesn't seem as good of an idea as I once thought it would be. I go back to one stop shopping may still be better even though the applications feels slow and bloated to me now.
  • Reply 111 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Computer, peripheral, whatever you want to call it...

... Apple has 100% of the iPad market.

Maybe you ment to say right now they have 100% of the Tablet market? Of course they have 100% of the iPad market they own that product. They don't even really have 100% of the Tablet market but pretty darn close.

I still find it interesting that this was suppose to be the year of the Tablet and Apple has taken such a huge step forward without anyone even trying to slow it down.
  • Reply 112 of 148
    Quote:

And how do you install new releases of the OS on the many netbooks that ship without a CD drive?

the ability to install / deploy software from across a network, for example, has been around for a long time. it's also worth pointing out that OSes can reside on other forms of media aside from optical discs.
  • Reply 113 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

My car has several computers under the hood and none of them let me surf the internet. To upgrade the software I have drive over to the dealership and they hook it up to their computer. Many computers are designed for specific tasks, kind of like the iPad. It is design to be used in specific ways. It can't do everything that a desktop computer can do, but yes, it is still a computer.

Right, if it meets the basic three-part definition of a computer, then it's a computer. According to the religious test some people insist on using, the iPhone isn't a computer either. As always, if a conclusion seems to be ludicrous, then it's a good idea to examine the premise.
  • Reply 114 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It uses a computer cpu, though a very simple one. Whether it's a computer is debatable. My microwave does similar things, but its not a computer. It's not really computing.

whether you call the ipad a computer or not, one thing is for sure, apple is selling them like crazy. Probably about 4 million already. That's 4x what they sold of traditional computers and it was only out for 3 months*.

* i don't know the exact numbers.

There is almost no doubt that the ipad is stealing sales from computer vendors. Asus's huge drop is probably due to people switching away from their machines b/c of the ipad.

fb

ps does anyone remember when we were all mocking the name, iPad? lolz
  • Reply 115 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Maybe you ment to say right now they have 100% of the Tablet market?

No, that's not what I meant.
  • Reply 116 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

IIRC from my computer science classes from years of yore, a computer is defined as a CPU + storage + input/output. If it's go those characteristics, it's a computer. Religious definitions not required.

Then cell phones, MP3 players, and a lot of devices and appliances count. Sure, they're all computers, but the line must be drawn somewhere for reporting purposes like this.
  • Reply 117 of 148
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The "device reliant on another computer" argument against granting the iPad full "computer" status is a red herring, IMO.

How do I get updates to the software on my laptop? Where do I get the vast majority of new content? From the internet. Without an internet connection it's going to be a serious PITA to get the latest release of Firefox, grab a new desktop image, watch any video outside of DVDs, etc.

Just because the computers are distributed across a wide geography doesn't mean my "real" local computer isn't heavily reliant on them to function. In fact, I would go so far to say that anyone attempting to run a computer as a "stand alone device", sans network connections, is going to be sorely disappointed with their limited, frustrating experience.

More generally, any current definition of a computer is going to have to take into account the fact that such devices are most typically used as displays for internet enabled content, a trend that's steadily accelerating. If Google has their way, "computers" will be almost nothing but the famously unrealized "thin client" that was all the rage some years ago.

So why is a PC that's syncing all its data via Google's servers a real computer but an iPad that syncs its data with a computer in your house not?
  • Reply 118 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Then cell phones, MP3 players, and a lot of devices and appliances count. Sure, they're all computers, but the line must be drawn somewhere for reporting purposes like this.

Reporting purposes such as what? The article relates to the sales of a specific subcategory of computers knowns as PCs, not to "computers" broadly. Perhaps the posters here who object to the iPad being called a "computer" are really objecting to it being called a "personal computer." Hard to say, but I'd challenge that assertion too.
  • Reply 119 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

No, that's not what I meant.

Then my typo wasn't nearly as stupid as your previous comment.
  • Reply 120 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Then my typo wasn't nearly as stupid as your previous comment.

jeez I thought it was kinda funny. A joke, if you will.