Verizon to sell 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab Nov. 11 for $600

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Boy, competitors have really struggled with the pricing. I knew they'd be crap, though I hope there'd be more that aren't... But never saw the price issue being so big. Over half a year since the iPad was launched and this is what is starting to emerge... Smaller and similarly priced or more expensive.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    BTW how much RAM does it have? People have bashed the iPad senseless(ly) over its 256MB
  • Reply 23 of 74
    err...

Frogtardies. And I mean you electronics makers.

We started reading books centuries ago. And yes, we've got really used to things of ``book size' ', which is most often being somewhat around 8½" x 5½". And Apple did their best to deliver us the screen of the iPad of approximately that size.

The fact that you can't afford manufacturing of good 9-10" screens does not necessarily alter the vector of human's evolution...
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

This looks like a big fail, but I still like the idea of a 'tween' size. I wish Steve felt the same. I'd love to see a 5" iPod Touch and/or a 7" iPad.

I can't see anyone but a true Android geek choosing this over the iPad.

i agree. steve is right about this samsung android tab being a failure but wrong about 7" ipad. the first decent 7" android 3 or 4 based tab (if one ever happens) i will buy.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

btw how much ram does it have? People have bashed the ipad senseless(ly) over its 256mb

• Reply 26 of 74
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He might. His comment was oddly specific about the size of the device when usually his comments are against how others are doing it, but I can see Apple eventually coming out with a 7?-ish iPad once they solidified their 10? model in the market.

It?s just too soon to release another model so close to the original iPad launch. It?s only been 6 months, after all. They?d have to have a new UI, new SDK and apps for this device. It?s not feasible, unless for some reason Apple can?t get their hands on 10? iPad display panels but can get their hands on a mess of 7? panels, but I doubt that is an issue.

Note: Even if they use the same aspect ratio and resolution of the current iPad they?d still need a new UI and SDK for this new display I/O size.

I was thinking the same thing... "A 7" tablet is too small, but look at this great 8" iPad we have for you!"

And as much as I would like a smaller iPad, I also agree that it's too soon. That's just not Apple's style. They will milk the current version for all it's worth. They will wait until people who want a smaller iPad finally break down and buy the larger version. Then they will release a smaller version and many of those same people will go by it to replace their "too big" iPads. Why sell them one when you can sell them two!

I do think SJ's reasons against a smaller iPad were more about marketing the current version than about any significant tech or usability issues. More about convincing people to go out and buy the current offering instead of delaying their purchase. Yes, there are issues to sort out, but nothing Apple couldn't easily handle if they choose to.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

I always gauge the market strength of smartphones by observing how often the carriers offer two-for-one or similar deals. Ever see that for the iPhone? Nope. Now how about the Droids on Verizon?

Do you really think Jobs/Apple would allow a 2-for-1 deal with the iPhone even if AT&T were willing to cover Apple's lost profit? No.

Cell carriers don't care about making a profit off of the phone. The contract (usually 2 years) is the important part. And a 2-for-1 deal gets them two contracts, or at least one contract with a higher monthly fee than they otherwise would have gotten.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

err...

We started reading books centuries ago. And yes, we've got really used to things of ``book size' ', which is most often being somewhat around 8½" x 5½". And Apple did their best to deliver us the screen of the iPad of approximately that size.

The fact that you can't afford manufacturing of good 9-10" screens does not necessarily alter the vector of human's evolution...

the problem isn't the size. steve is wrong about people wanting a 7" tablet. the problem is android 2.2 is awful for a tab and even google says so. and also samsung is stupid if they think they can get apple like prices for their hardware. not in the same category as apple.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I was thinking the same thing... "A 7" tablet is too small, but look at this great 8" iPad we have for you!"

And as much as I would like a smaller iPad, I also agree that it's too soon. That's just not Apple's style. They will milk the current version for all it's worth. They will wait until people who want a smaller iPad finally break down and buy the larger version. Then they will release a smaller version and many of those same people will go by it to replace their "too big" iPads. Why sell them one when you can sell them two!

I do think SJ's reasons against a smaller iPad were more about marketing the current version than about any significant tech or usability issues. More about convincing people to go out and buy the current offering instead of delaying their purchase. Yes, there are issues to sort out, but nothing Apple couldn't easily handle if they choose to.

ha ha. so true. jobs knows that there is no decent competition to the ipad out yet (or maybe ever)
  • Reply 30 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ndn2007 View Post

I carry my iPhone in my pocket. The reported dimensions of the Samsung tablet are such that I cannot carry it in my pocket.

That?s why you need this Samsung Tab accessory.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I'm looking forward to the 12 and 18 inch iPads.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    While you can't compare Apples (iPad) to Oranges (Galaxy Tab) being compared to watermelons (iPhone) and squash (Android brand whatever phone), it will still be interesting to see how well the iPad launch on Verizon Oct. 28th versus the Galaxy Tab launch on Nov. 11th. It's always interesting to see a heads up match so to speak.

Can't wait for the possible interesting stories that will be posted and commented on mid-late Nov or after Christmas, at least.

On your mark, get set.... GO!
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

This looks like a big fail, but I still like the idea of a 'tween' size. I wish Steve felt the same. I'd love to see a 5" iPod Touch and/or a 7" iPad.

I can't see anyone but a true Android geek choosing this over the iPad.

I would like to see a 7" iPad and decide for myself. I'm sure Steve has and decided for all of us. I don't necessarily intend to be pissy about it. Just saying, I'm sure there were multiple prototypes. And I wouldn't be surprised if we did see a different size in a couple of years.

I just don't get why Verizon/Samsung would trot this announcement out right now. This is a well-worn path that others have chosen. You get geek-chatter about it for a few hours, then the mainstream media talks about nothing but the Apple announcements. I just don't see how this gets any traction whatsoever.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

err...

LOL Android geeks are off the main stream of human evolution.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Interesting...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That?s why you need this Samsung Tab accessory.

Quiet you, I had to wear those at university labs for my Biology major. Quite comfortable actually, kind of a shorter, thinner bath robe.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    How do I put this? Hmm. Oh, yes.

STEVE IS RIGHT

That is all.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    You can't compete with Apple by offering less for more money.

7" display is less.

Android 2.2 is less, but maybe Android 3 will make up for it, IF the upgrade is made available

Is it an IPS display, or a TN display?

What does it have more of? More RAM probably - 512MB I expect. It's hardly holding the iPad back at the moment though. Multitasking - will be in iOS 4.2.

And I'm speaking as an owner of an Android based phone. It certainly ain't bad.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

one word - HAHAHAH

I was around here when people were posting hahahaha when android phones were coming out.

I wouldn't laugh too hard now that androids are outselling iphones. Oh I know I'll get the tired you can't compare multiple handsets blah blah apple doesn't care about marketshare yadda yadda, but the point is, this whole war has barely even begun.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    I can't wait.

If it is just to shut up the trolls here. Now is their chance to prove their admiration for their Android and 7" tablets, i.e., by putting their mouth where their money is.

BTW, my wife asked me what was an android?

When I told her that it was an automaton that resembles a human being, she responded quite clearly, "Man or woman?"

And before I could respond she turned and started to leave the room, but not with injecting a sneering, "Idiots!"

To which I quickly countered, "It could be a woman."

To which she re-countered, "Invented by a man?! Like I said…" But this time I am sure she added, "Assholes."
  • Reply 39 of 74
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    So I can watch Flash advertisements on it.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I can't wait.

If it is just to shut up the trolls here. Now is their chance to prove their admiration for their Android and 7" tablets, i.e., by putting their mouth where their money is.

BTW, my wife asked me what was an android?

When I told her that it was an automaton that resembles a human being, she responded quite clearly, "Man or woman?"

And before I could respond she turned and started to leave the room, but not with injecting a sneering, "Idiots!"

To which I quickly countered, "It could be a woman."

To which she re-countered, "Invented by a man?! Like I said?" But this time I am sure she added, "Assholes."

she must be a genius if she has to ask what an 'android' is.