HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 433
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

How much is a full installation of OS x in disk space? Itunes? I suspect the the bloatiness of apps is a lot closer than you think.

Um, which is likely why Apple doesn't put full OS X on a tablet, which I believe would be the point.
  • Reply 22 of 433
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Um, which is likely why Apple doesn't put full OS X on a tablet, which I believe would be the point.

Which you saw I acknowledged in my very next post. The under the one you replied to.
  • Reply 23 of 433
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Unlike Apple, which markets the iPad primarily to consumers, HP is stressing the Slate 500's suitability for business users.

Meaning "Only business users will have the patience and IT staff required to maintain what is essentially a desktop OS on a mobile table format, including anti-virus updates, spyware, malware, driver issues, and general system instabilities and performance issues due to inadequate hardware.

I think HP knows - and admits in a subtle way - that this is not anywhere meant for general consumers. The format is interesting to say the least and I'm sure there is a very, very small niche for it. Perhaps HP is fishing it to see who bites before they invest any serious money on it.

I use Windows XP & Windows 7 on both my MBA and i7 iMac using VMware for use during my 8-to-5 office work. Neither of them should ever be used in a tablet format and be labeled a competitor to the iPad. I think HP knows that.

Good luck to them. They're going to need it.
  • Reply 24 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Let's all continue to bash a product we've never used or even have the full specs on.

Sorry, wrong thread. You want the one where the Fandroids are bashing the iPhone 4
  • Reply 25 of 433
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

How much is a full installation of OS x in disk space? Itunes? I suspect the the bloatiness of apps is a lot closer than you think.

Windows 7 32bit 14gb

Windows 7 64bit 20gb

OS X 10.6.4 9gb
  • Reply 26 of 433
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

When you say "Windows 7 at that" it just proves that you know very little about that particular product line.

Windows 7 is great. Really. I say that without a shadow of sarcasm or irony.

I'm not so sure it's a good fit inside this particular product but as a desktop OS it's neck and neck with anything else out there.

Please save it. I have Windows 7 on my mac. When I said Windows 7 at that I was referring to the fact that it's not a Windows Mobile type system. They just dumped Windows 7 on there. It would've been better if they had just released a version of Windows Mobile or worked closely with MSFT to get a Windows Mobile OS out of them for their tablet.
  • Reply 27 of 433
    I wonder why HP didn't choose Win7 Starter (the netbook version of Win7). It would have given them the advantage of being able to install full-blown software, while needing less hardware power.
  • Reply 28 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

I wonder why HP didn't choose Win7 Starter (the netbook version of Win7). It would have given them the advantage of being able to install full-blown software, while needing less hardware power.

Window7 starter has maximum system requirements
  • Reply 29 of 433
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Please save it. I have Windows 7 on my mac. When I said Windows 7 at that I was referring to the fact that it's not a Windows Mobile type system.

You must assume that I and everyone else can read minds, then:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

We do know one thing.... it has windows on it....and windows 7 at that. eeek!

I must have missed the bit where you referred to the fact that it's not a Windows Mobile type system. Can you show me where that is? You might have implied something but it's an imply FAIL because there's nothing to imply from what you wrote.
  • Reply 30 of 433
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Total, unmitigated fail.

I thought HP canned this idea months ago.

Typical solution when your product can't compete with the iPad: just say it's aimed at the "business" crowd.

Exept they're getting in on the iPad, too.
  • Reply 31 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Window7 starter has maximum system requirements

I know, it is only licensed to netbooks, but given the specs of the slate, wouldn't it qualify? Or is there a more specific list of maximum system requirements, i.e. MS definition of a netbook?
  • Reply 32 of 433
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    EPIC FAIL on HP's behalf... I'm pretty sure it will have a noisy fan inside like most netbooks cooling the atom cpu.
  • Reply 33 of 433
    Okay we can all laugh and point and say how shit it is, but the big question for me and more importantly HP is *who the fuck is going to buy this thing?*. I can only think of the geeks of the geeks who hate Apple, and they don't have money.
  • Reply 34 of 433
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ... they blew it.
  • Reply 35 of 433
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

1.5 pound tablet

Missed, HP. Too weighty. The iPad is 1.5 pound too and that's its main drawback.

Otherwise

Quote:

...with an 8.9-inch multi-touch screen.

is always better, than 7" screen.
  • Reply 36 of 433
    this is aimed at businesses yeah, not consumers..

.. So these would be the businesses who have spent most of 2010 testing and rolling out ipad and preparing custom software. The same businesses who also push virtualized sessions of windows whatever to their iPads with no tablet resource limits.

Ah yes, of course.. It should be an easy sell
  • Reply 37 of 433
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple should make a Mac as light and small (or even better: lighter and smaller) as the HP Slate 500. With any form factor: tablet, slider or clamshell.
  • Reply 38 of 433
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

Again missing the point. Windows 7 is designed as a mouse driven interface, NOT a touch interface. Yes, some people will want it, but it's going to be a kludge to use. Fortunately, there are people that are used to that because they use Windows every day. User interface isn't an important element in their computing experience.

Now, what I'd really like to see is how the battery lasts on this slate. I'm guessing 3 hours max.

You might be onto something, except for the fact that Windows 7 was designed with a touch interface in mind as well, there is a free product that is available which is called "Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7"
  • Reply 39 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

I know, it is only licensed to netbooks, but given the specs of the slate, wouldn't it qualify? Or is there a more specific list of maximum system requirements, i.e. MS definition of a netbook?

CPU: Single core processor that operates at 2GHz or less and has a CPU thermal design power that is 15W or less, not including graphics and chipset.

Screen Size: 10.2 inches or smaller (previously 12.1″ for Windows Vista and XP Starter)

RAM: 1GB or less

Storage: Up to 250GB hard drive or 64GB SSD (previously 160GB or 32GB SSD for Windows Vista and XP Starter)

Graphics: No restrictions on touch screen or graphics
  • Reply 40 of 433
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

... Typical solution when your product can't compete with the iPad: just say it's aimed at the "business" crowd. ...

Using "business" in your marketing copy causes a Pavlovian response among the IT departments of the world. Especially when you are Microsoft. It's the one area where MS has any profitability, it's admittedly a large market, and that's why MS will never be able to penetrate the consumer market. Because to divert resources to consumer products would risk the all-important Windows + Office enterprise monopoly.

Apple tried to break into the enterprise market in the '90s, especially when John Scully tried to beat IBM at the personal computing game. Didn't work. Now the tables have turned. Apple has broken the consumer market wide open, and iPhone and iPad are breaking into the enterprise market thanks to the robustness and popularity of iOS.

So, naturally, MS is trying to find a toehold in the consumer market. But XBox has lost billions due to horrible hardware design (just Google "General Hardware Failure" ). Zune somehow limps along despite negligible sales. KIN was mercifully killed off after just a few weeks of feature- and sales-challenged existence.

And now Ballmer is making two more enormously costly mistakes: rushing out Windows Phone 7 as a half-baked knee-jerk reaction to the death of Windows Mobile 6, and cramming Windows 7 into a tablet. As if 9 years of mediocrity in tablet computing aren't enough already. Same crap, different shape.

Just exactly how many billions (more) is Microsoft going to shovel into the dumpster fire of their consumer product businesses? It was amusing seeing MS do that a few years ago with Zune. But it's not funny any more. Not even with a clown like Ballmer running the show, and nothing's worse than a clown who isn't funny.