Apple promises an unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has published a teaser on the front page of its website, telling customers that an "exciting announcement" regarding iTunes is coming at 7 a.m. Pacific, 10 a.m. Eastern on Tuesday.

"Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget," the page reads. "Check back here tomorrow for an exciting announcement from iTunes."

It lists local times in California and New York, at 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. respectively, that the announcement will be made. Also included are 3 p.m. in London and midnight in Tokyo.

The mention of iTunes could hint that the product will be related to the streaming of content, perhaps from the new data center Apple has built in North Carolina. Apple has been rumored for months to be working on a cloud-based iTunes service that would allow users to stream their music from any connected device.

However, recent reports suggested that Apple has encountered roadblocks in its negotiations with content providers. People familiar with those negotiations have suggested that any cloud-based iTunes features would likely be "modest" if they launch in the near future.

Nearly a year ago, Apple acquired Lala, a music streaming service that it shuttered earlier this year. Many have assumed that the acquisition was meant to pave the way for an iTunes cloud service.

Apple has already focused iTunes content on the cloud with its new Apple TV. The $99 iOS-based device has limited internal storage and relies on the renting of TV shows and movies, streamed directly from the iTunes servers to a user's home.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 261
    Yes! Hopefully get to stream all my content from Apple's servers! That way I don't need to worry if my media storage disk crashes again! (Luckily iTunes Support was nice and let me redownload all my purchases)
  • Reply 2 of 261
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    I'll rather keep my music on my HDDs, so I don't have to rely on the internet connection, which sometimes is great, but someother times is like non-existent...
  • Reply 3 of 261
    They didn't call a press conference so this probably won't be huge. I bet they will just announce the mac app store is activating.
  • Reply 4 of 261
    Maybe Apple will finally start using true lossless on ITunes (like Flac) instead of this MP3 nonsense that has ruined the hearing of a generation - not to mention being inconsistent with their high standards. I have never understood why they have not killed the MP3 when download speeds/storage are a non issue. The difference is day and night when you listen to an MP3/Apple Lossless vs. Flac/Wave.

I know this is a pipe dream but I thought it would be a good time to mention it.

• Reply 5 of 261
    Bealtes. Yawn.
  • Reply 6 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

I'll rather keep my music on my HDDs, so I don't have to rely on the internet connection, which sometimes is great, but someother times is like non-existent...

Yes and no... I have 10 seasons of Stargate, 4 Seasons of BG (in HD) not to mention full seasons of The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, Fringe and about 15 others. It's 1.3TBs in size when I include all my movies.

While streaming them might not always be convenient, having content backed up in the sky that I am unlikely to watch again for several years, is potentially fantstic. I have 2x3 TB external drives connected to a Mac mini under the TV - it's not exactly the clutter free environment you'd want with your Apple stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shakedown View Post

Maybe Apple will finally start using true lossless on ITunes (like Flac) instead of this MP3 nonsense that has ruined the hearing of a generation - not to mention being inconsistent with their high standards. I have never understood why they have not killed the MP3 when download speeds/storage are a non issue. The difference is day and night when you listen to an MP3/Apple Lossless vs. Flac/Wave.

I know this is a pipe dream but I thought it would be a good time to mention it.

I agree with your principle (of poor audio runing music for a generation) but iTunes has never done MP3.
  • Reply 8 of 261
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Yes, it is a pipe dream, as MP3 has not ruined the hearing of a generation. And I find it amusing that you placed Apple Lossless with MP3. Apple Lossless is lossless, just like FLAC or WAV. Apple Lossless sounds exactly the same as FLAC or WAV.
  • Reply 9 of 261
    Subscription service...

Make it similar to some of the other ones that are out there.

$10 a month, and at the end of the month I get 10 songs that I can download and keep.

It's a win / win.
  • Reply 10 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Yes and no... I have 10 seasons of Stargate, 4 Sesons of BG (in HD) not to mention full seasons of The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, Fringe and about 15 others. It's 1.3TBs in size when I include all my movies.

Whole streaming them might not always be convenient, having content backed up in the sky that I am unlikely to watch again for several years, is potentially fantstic. I have 2x3 TB external drives connected to a Mac mini under the TV - it's not exactly the clutter free environment you'd want with your Apple stuff.

If this is the "Cloud" that is coming....how much will it cost for people that have sizeable content?

That's what I have wondered about every since it started being discussed. Nothing is free but how can me saving 150 Gigs of my iTunes on Apple's servers be affordable?
  • Reply 11 of 261
    The tricky thing here is that they are specifically pointing out time clocks in London and Tokyo, which would seem to not include the possibility of video streaming, that kind of thing, which would presumably be limited to the U.S.

i unfortunately agree, that it is probably the Beatles, which is a bigger deal to Steve Jobs than probably anyone else. I already bought the CD's I want, and imported them into Itunes. Being able to download them is no big deal...

I wish it were something bigger, and still hope it is.
  • Reply 12 of 261
    Quote:

As the name suggests Apple Lossless is a lossless format, like FLAC or WAV. iTMS songs are encoded as AAC files, which are lossy like MP3s.
  • Reply 13 of 261
    Quote:

You mean AAC not mp3. But I get your point. I can usually tell the difference between an AIFF and an ACC file. However I like getting all those songs on the iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It lists local times in California and New York, at 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. respectively, that the announcement will be made. Also included are 3 p.m. in London and midnight in Tokyo.

This international clock choice could maybe hints for international expansion of the music and/or movie store? The announcement is made at 07.00 a.m. Cupertino time, quite unusual (usually it is 09 or 10 am). How much I wish the music and movie store could finally come here to the Czech Republic!
  • Reply 15 of 261
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    "Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget.”

Hmm.. so if I don’t put certain tracks on my iDevice I’ll still be able to access them, hence never forgetting. Same goes with accessing a web-based version of iTunes away from my iTunes Library.
  • Reply 16 of 261
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:

Maybe when more than 10 people in a given population understand what the hell you are talking about without explanation, Apple would consider it.

While storage on a HDD may be a non-issue, on iDevices it is.
  • Reply 17 of 261
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

They didn't call a press conference so this probably won't be huge. I bet they will just announce the mac app store is activating.

That has absolutely nothing to do with "iTunes" whatsoever.
  • Reply 18 of 261
    beatles +1
  • Reply 19 of 261
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That has absolutely nothing to do with "iTunes" whatsoever.

Why would you say that as you will use iTunes to buy the apps similar to the current app store?
  • Reply 20 of 261
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,256member
    Color icons of the sidebar in iTunes -- it would be revolutionary!