The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 377
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Beatles on iTunes is very bit news indeed. The largest band in history just went digital.
  • Reply 22 of 377
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    The Beatles sold over 3 and quarter million albums last year.

I would hazard to guess that more than 10 million of their songs will be bought on iTunes by the end of the month.
  • Reply 23 of 377
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

What a waste of time, any genuine fan would already own the god damn cd's, stupid shitty announcement!

Ditto. Especially since all the genuine fans bought the remasters when they come last year.
  • Reply 24 of 377
    I am disappoint
  • Reply 25 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

*meh*

Ditto. Money talks - it was only a matter of time. Still find the CDs cheaper used out there...
  • Reply 26 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

The Beatles sold over 3 and quarter albums last year.

I would hazard to guess that more than 10 million of their songs will be bought on iTunes by the end of the month.

There's a lot of boomers out there who are still not "comfortable" with buying CDs and ripping them. Getting their fix by buying their youth back via their iPhone should generate Apple some more money.

Where else would that money go beside an inheritance to their ungrateful offspring?
  • Reply 27 of 377
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member

The worst… Apple Tuesday… EVER!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So this is their big announcement?! This is what caused so much speculation and excitement? A popular band finally comes to iTunes and they deem it worthy of their websites front page….. WTF

It may have been part of the agreement. For all we know Apple fought to get it down to being a day-before setup with no special event.
  • Reply 28 of 377
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

The Beatles have remained one of the best selling bands of all time.. They sold about 3.5 million albums last year and almost 1.5 BILLION albums cumulatively since their original release dates in the 60's.
  • Reply 29 of 377
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    What's the big deal? You could always walk into Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc, and get all the Beatles albums you want and then rip them right into iTunes.

Seriously, I just don't get it. Now I could understand if you couldn't get Beatles music anywhere else...
  • Reply 30 of 377
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    More in the "meh" line, but then, without The Beatles, George Harrison would have never made enough money to finance "The Life of Brian"... so: yay!

What puzzles me is that the Apple homepage still reads "Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget." Is today tomorrow, or will there be another, equally exciting, development tomorrow? AC/DC? Frank Zappa? There is still so much stuff missing...
  • Reply 31 of 377
    Boooooooooooooooo.

Overhype. Underdeliver. Quickly forgotten.

However, I'll call my dad, maybe he will care. Nope. He owns the CDs.
  • Reply 32 of 377
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    super..........
  • Reply 33 of 377
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Maybe something else, too? The ability to store The Beatles songs in the cloud? I think Apple can negotiate a contract with The Beatles alone and not worry about a record company, making this the perfect launching point for their cloud initiative.
  • Reply 34 of 377
    Quote:

How many did they sell the year before when they weren't pushing 2 box sets and individual releases of their remastered albums?
  • Reply 35 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is the worst? Apple Tuesday? EVER!!!

It may have been part of the agreement. For all we know Apple fought to get it down to being a day-before setup with no special event.

I, too, am wondering if there was supposed to be some "hype" set up from the agreement or something, as we know the Beatles have been difficult about this over these past years.

But, the main thing is, how can people be disappointed? 36 Hours ago you didn't know about any of this. Its like Lewis C.K.'s bit about people who just found out about there being internet on the plane, and then its down and being pissed off. Its a good bit, btw.
  • Reply 36 of 377
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

I think I know the guy who bought the quarter album...
  • Reply 37 of 377
    So what's it going to take to get Apple and Apple to give us full CD quality music at 1411 kbps, I can get better quality music from torrent downloads(which I find immoral and don't engage in) originally ripped from CD's than I can from iTunes or any other legitimate online music store, I only deal with lossy audio codecs when I have no other choice, so I'm still stuck ripping my music from CD's, if Apple wants my business they had better start offering audiophiles like me some Redbook quality music.
  • Reply 38 of 377
  • Reply 39 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

The Beatles have remained one of the best selling bands of all time.. They sold about 3.5 million albums last year and almost 1.5 BILLION albums cumulatively since their original release dates in the 60's.

Yeah because the world is full of poseurs who like what they are told to like and what they think will make them cool if they say they like.
  • Reply 40 of 377
    Wasn't this obvious? The image was a nod to the album cover and they just released an Itunes update so client changes weren't likely.

No suprise here and honestly it doesn't even matter. I can't think of the last time I purposely listened to a Beatles song. Big annoucement for many... for the rest no one cares.

TLDR;

Apple.

Now back to waiting for AirPrint.