Classifying iPad as mobile PC makes Apple No. 3 worldwide manufacturer

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

If Ford, Toyota, and all other car manufacturers start classifying their cars as "mobile PCs", how would they rank?

If Casio, Timex and all other watch manufacturers start classifying their digital watches as "mobile PCs", how would they rank?

So a car's embedded computer can be used to create spreadsheets, view PDFs and browse the web?

If so then I guess it's a mobile PC alongside an iPad and laptop.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

iPad is personal. iPad is a computer. iPad is mobile.

It's a mobile personal computer. What do you not understand about those three attributes?

Perfect. Anybody who argues that it's not a PC after this . . . is certifiably Asperger's. Or working with DaHarder.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    What makes the iPad a PC and the iPod touch/ iPhone not?

Obviously the apps and UI are different, but in principle you shouldn't be able to include one of these without the others?

Not that it matters. I'm sure iPads, tablets and the like will eventually phase out traditional "PCs".
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

The iPad is not a open laptop computer, it's a closed Apple controlled computing appliance that replaces many of the features of a traditional laptop computer.

I like the choice I have with my machine, to hit the command line, to install what software I want, not what Apple tells me I can have, or to be monitored by Apple or whomever because I can't detect their backdoor behaviors. (install LittleSnitch in OS X, then the iPad Safari agent into Safari and visit the NYT website and watch LittleSnitch scream it's head off as iPad Safari makes all sorts of backdoor connections other than port 80)

Lemme put it this way... you're a computer hacker, nerd, or whatever you call yourself... an overwhelming majority of people do not fall into your category where they need that openness... why do you think iTunes sells a lot of music and videos and TV shows and movies??? Because the general consumer doesn't have the skills to rip their movies or use torrents to get free content, etc etc. I for one could care less about backdoor connections and using ports other than 80.

I have an iPad and it does very well what I need it for. I don't need to drop down to command line to make a change in code... I actually dont' want that... I just want to use it for consuming content and limited content creation.

I'm so busy at work with creating content... that I don't want to sit at a traditional computer when I come home to read music or read email or watch videos or listen to music. I want something that is portable and that I can sit or lay down on the couch with and catch up on the world around me.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

What makes the iPad a PC and the iPod touch/ iPhone not?

Obviously the apps and UI are different, but in principle you shouldn't be able to include one of these without the others?

Not that it matters. I'm sure iPads, tablets and the like will eventually phase out traditional "PCs".

Fair enough. They are mini mobile PCs. That would probably make Apple the no. 1 mobile PC manufacturer, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Definition: A microcomputer contains a microprocessor (a central processing unit on a microchip ), memory in the form of read-only memory and random access memory , I/O ports and a bus or system of interconnecting wires, housed in a unit that is usually called a motherboard .

A personal computer (PC) is a microcomputer designed to be used by one person at a time with no intermediary.

A PC was generally referred to as desktops until laptops came into play and was added to the list of personal computer types.

The slates, tablets, etc etc will fall into PC category the same way notebooks did... the iPad fits into the definition above perfectly as it does have all the components that make up a PC. It may be more limited, but it is still a PC.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    " "Localized content in non-English speaking regions is sparse, and iPad owners must have a PC for downloading content from iTunes. As a result, penetration in developing regions will be slow.""

More Anal-----yst speak for, "we want to sell tons of crap as quickly as possible, so later we can sell more tons of different crap." :-)

Apple is not selling cheap netbooks. If people want one of those, they can buy them. Actually a cheap netbook would work to sync an iPad to, I think. :-)

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

who cares about unit sales. tell us the dollar sales. If companies ship computers that are the equivalent of turds, why do we care how many they ship.

We care because it's an article about the relative levels of sales to consumers, not an article about the profitability of the companies in question.

Each company is of course concerned about it's financial success, and individual members of that company or it's stockholders are of course concerned with comparing that financial success with other companies. To an outside observer not interested in investing however, whether company A makes more money than company B is almost irrelevant. They want to compare the relative popularity or "reach" of that company, not it's financials.

This is why even though Apple is far more profitable than all it's competitors, you rarely hear about it in the news. People want to know when Apple ships more computers than Dell, more than they want to know which of the two is making more money.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

" "Localized content in non-English speaking regions is sparse, and iPad owners must have a PC for downloading content from iTunes. As a result, penetration in developing regions will be slow.""

More Anal-----yst speak for, "we want to sell tons of crap as quickly as possible, so later we can sell more tons of different crap." :-)

Apple is not selling cheap netbooks. If people want one of those, they can buy them. Actually a cheap netbook would work to sync an iPad to, I think. :-)

Just a thought,

en

What does selling cheap netbooks have to do with the statement about localized content for non-English speakers? Why don't you just tell those guys to learn English like the rest of the civilized world, a.k.a. USA?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

who cares about unit sales. tell us the dollar sales. If companies ship computers that are the equivalent of turds, why do we care how many they ship.

Indeed - I wonder how the PC manufacturers would do without Netbook sales factored in.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

I personally don't welcome the change, I think the iPad and closed tablets like them totally suck as they just don't take on line privacy or other concerns people have into their design consideration.

Huh? What are you babbling about?

The iPad doesn't suck, it's just different. That frightens and confuses some (obviously you too) but I love my iPad and it serves well for a certain niche of tasks I use it for. It is my fathers sole computing device and it excels in ways that traditional computers were never able to. It's opened new avenues for him and rather than having to deal with the device itself, he is able to accomplish what he wants to do with no fuss.

That's a pretty huge game changer.

Quote:

And since Apple now has iAds or whatever, shows that they intend to be just like Google and take great pains to monitor and sell everything you do with your Apple devices.

I think you are being both overly paranoid and overly hyperbolic. iAds are there for developers that choose to use them. If you don't like them, don't use apps that use them. Pretty simple. No grand scheme to take over the world If google wouldn't have tried to get greedy with Android I doubt Apple would have bothered. Sucks to be them - not a wise move creating a formidable competitor in the market that represents your previously fertile grounds for future growth.

Quote:

Look what's going on with the magazine subscriptions for the iPad, Apple is trying to hold out against the magazines who want to know everything your doing with your iPad in exchange for their content.

Hmm, isn't this counter to your original argument that Apple isn't taking privacy into consideration? Schizophrenic much?

Quote:

Without content the iPad is meaningless, and the magazine publishers know that.

Really? That damn Safari app must be a real inconvenient counter to that line of thought...
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Given PC stands for personal computer IMHO it certainly qualifies. It does far more 'personal computing' than most 'PCs' did in the first decade they existed already.

Quote of the day!
  • Reply 33 of 33
    enohpienohpi Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If the iPad is categorized as equivalent to a traditional laptop, Apple is the largest mobile PC seller in the U.S., and the third-largest worldwide.

If my grandmother had balls, she'd be my grandfather.