Google's Chrome OS assailed by needless, dangerous by critics

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

I have read this title numerous times yet am still unable to make sense of it - does it actually make sense???

The critics are needless and dangerous?
  • Reply 22 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

I hope you meant AES not DES (which is incredibly insecure)....

Old habits die hard. Like typing too fast.
  • Reply 23 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, Chrome is about "doing everything in the browser" based on the assumption that this would be easier for most people, but not only has that assumption never been proven, people are already moving away from the browser because it's considered too difficult for most people.

This is something that rarely filters through the mind of a techie (like most who visit this forum), but the best thing about the rise of the new mobile platform is that it's bringing in a whole lot of new users that found "traditional" computing (including web browsers), too complicated and confusing.

Chrome OS is just not a good OS for anyone but a fairly technical user. And it simply won't get any market share beyond those users. iOS on the other hand is exactly what Chrome promised it would be from the outset. A new, simple, always "on" OS that any idiot can use with a lot of the back end in the cloud. Chrome has no purpose now.

Not too sure I'd agree. Compared to iOS and Android it seems redundant, but this thing is looking to eventually displace Windows. On multi-vendor hardware at an affordable price, I don't see many reasons for Chrome not to do well. They'll roll it out on Netbooks at first, but down the line we'll be seeing it on full fledged desktop computers.

Contrary to your point, I reckon that Chrome will be for the least technical users, as just about everyone knows how to use a web browser. I'd argue that the browser is probably the most familiar application for most users so making an OS based on it doesn't seem a bad idea by any stretch. Even Thurrott is concerned, perhaps not a great example as he's as out of touch as you can get.

A shame Google didn't actually introduce any paradigm shift in terms of how we interact with the thing though, except for removing the caps lock.

Another thing, which I think you hinted at, is that Google should be mindful of the move towards apps instead of the web, which kinda flies in the face of that search thing they have going on.
  • Reply 24 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The critics are needless and dangerous?

Nearest guess yet I reckon! :-)
  • Reply 25 of 132
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Microsoft should be scared. Chrome OS offers a lightweight OS for Atom-based and other slower machines that Windows OS (desktop) can't match while also being easy to use, which no version of common Linux-builds on a netbook can match. I can see Chrome OS quickly capturing a great deal of MS' Windows business in a very short time.

Chrome OS is going to fail, as it should. People talk about how closed iOS is, but it really isn't. With Chrome, you can't install anything. You have to use what are essentially web pages to do your work. Sure, you can hack it, but you can hack iOS as well.

I still don't trust cloud computing. Not only do they have your data, and only their word that they aren't peeking into it, and somehow benefiting from it in some way, but they can know exactly what you're doing on those pages, even including what formula in a spreadsheet you're using. That's something even Stallman hasn't mentioned as far as I know.

I don't use MobileMe, but I have no interest in using online backups either. That's just dangerous. Storage is pretty cheap these days. If people are really nuts, drop a HDD in a safe deposit box in your bank. I really don't trust Google. I think they are the most dangerous company on the planet today. They have shown no respect for privacy whatsoever.
  • Reply 26 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Chrome OS is going to fail, as it should. People talk about how closed iOS is, but it really isn't. With Chrome, you can't install anything. You have to use what are essentially web pages to do your work. Sure, you can hack it, but you can hack iOS as well.

I still don't trust cloud computing. Not only do they have your data, and only their word that they aren't peeking into it, and somehow benefiting from it in some way, but they can know exactly what you're doing on those pages, even including what formula in a spreadsheet you're using. That's something even Stallman hasn't mentioned as far as I know.

I don't use MobileMe, but I have no interest in using online backups either. That's just dangerous. Storage is pretty cheap these days. If people are really nuts, drop a HDD in a safe deposit box in your bank. I really don't trust Google. I think they are the most dangerous company on the planet today. They have shown no respect for privacy whatsoever.

Those are concerns that can be summed up with basic feelings people have had about computers for as long as I?ve been alive.

The fact is people already use the internet is ways that maintain their data in form or another. contacts, email, IMs, file sharing, web searches. Then you have open WiFi hotspots and internet purchases. All Chrome OS is doing is making the slow crappy HW in netbooks (for now) be a usable system for satellite computing.

I don?t see how this can?t work.
  • Reply 27 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I think that the Chrome OS as a true OS in which a person would only work is a failed idea. We need local storage for privacy and convenience, and I personally wouldn't trust all my data or information to the cloud, anyone's cloud, be it Apple, Google, or Microsoft. The cloud is good for a few things, but seriously, I worry that we would be trusting it too much. We get all this fun for free now, but just think where it is going. (Like, the pay for web apps in Chrome Web Store? That's just the beginning!) I don't really like where its all headed.

However, a quick booting OS that can boot within seconds that only gives you the web, I think is a great idea. I don't want to be waiting for a full OS, with all of its services to load up just to check something online, (Yes yes, we all know of the MacBook Air) or even to have a full OS to do just that. If they can get it so standard computers/netbooks/notebooks can boot to a web browser in under 10 seconds, then I am game. For some, buying a whole new computer/tablet would be out of the question, so bringing added usability to our existing computers would be fantastic!

All that said, AI, just exactly how much do you hate anything non-Apple? If you haven't noticed already, articles in this kind of tone make for some testy forums. Granted, it gets you hits... mine included.

Do you know how many articles in business websites have already said the same thing that's been said here? Even worse? This is moderate by comparison.

Do you trust a company whose CEO said that they would know more about you than you did yourself, and that they would make decisions for you before you knew you wanted to make them? And how about him saying to people who weren't happy about having their homes on the Internet in Street View, that they could always move afterwards?

Does that turn you on? It turns me off! So I think this article could have been a lot stronger. How much of that data you will be trusting with them will they be using for their "dream"?

Can you imagine the furor if Jobs had said anything like this? Google is getting a pass because they convince people that they're nice guys, which they aren't.
  • Reply 28 of 132
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Cloud is good for collaboration and possibly backup, but I still prefer to keep most of my data locally, where I can quickly know that data is stolen and do something about it (remote wipe etc) rather then waiting for google to admit a breach. Chrome os will not be used for business purposes.
  • Reply 29 of 132
    Quote:

Does anyone care what Richard Stallman has to say anymore either?

He's a wild man, but he's got it right here. If anything, he's missed things.
  • Reply 30 of 132
    Chrome OS just gained 10 points with Stallman bashing it.
  • Reply 31 of 132
    A hybrid of both local and cloud based computing combining the best features of each concept would always be the best solution IMO. Both local and cloud have advantages and disadvantages so why not use both?

I feel a Cloud style OS would be deliberately disabling a computing device for ideological reasons rather than practical.

Can we really make a device much cheaper using a Cloud OS ? The processor is gonna have to pack some punch to run HTML5 anywhere near the speed of a Cocoa app. And a cocoa app is already very well equipped to store data in and retrieve content from the cloud. I just don't see any potential advantage.

And doesn't the speed of light pose response problems? No fixing that one sonny jim.
  • Reply 32 of 132
    I have to say I really can't see mass adoption of Chrome OS even if it ever actually makes it to market. Trying to convince non-tech-minded consumers to forgo local software and storage and live their IT lives inside a suped-up browser is going to be a task even the most conniving of high street electronics salesmen is going to struggle with.

I just think this is a matter of reading trends. Processors, memory, solid state storage etc. are advancing faster than the average web connection speeds for users. That means all the advantages of Chrome OS are going to fade as standard computers boot faster and faster and get cheaper and cheaper. A light version of Chrome OS might have made sense in 2005, but not in 2010 and certainly not in 2015.

Add to that the spectre of the tablet with its instant-on, ready to go browser and snuggle-up-in-a-chair-and-browse appeal and I just think Chrome OS is going to have only niche appeal. It should be scrapped, but whether it will be or not is another matter.
  • Reply 33 of 132
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:

I really don't trust Google. I think they are the most dangerous company on the planet today. They have shown no respect for privacy whatsoever.

You have hit the nail on the head!

Google's total disregard for user rights is the real and unmentioned reason why Chrome (and other things should absolutely be killed (not even allowed to die a slow death)

It will only happen if people realize free isn't without a price.
  • Reply 34 of 132
    Quote:

Those are concerns that can be summed up with basic feelings people have had about computers for as long as I’ve been alive.

The fact is people already use the internet is ways that maintain their data in form or another. contacts, email, IMs, file sharing, web searches. Then you have open WiFi hotspots and internet purchases. All Chrome OS is doing is making the slow crappy HW in netbooks (for now) be a usable system for satellite computing.

I don’t see how this can’t work.

They're making you store your stuff on THEIR servers. They can track everything you do. Along with the other things I mentioned in other posts, I don't think Google is trustworthy. Along with their "mistakenly" stealing people's passwords and other personal info while doing Steetview and other mapping fieldwork, and not deleting that info when told to by some governments, shows the danger here. Why would their software capture that info in the first place? It all seems fishy. As has been pointed out on some other sites, Chrome browser can do the same thing this does, while giving other options. This OS seems designed for the sole purpose of eliminating those options.
  • Reply 35 of 132
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by booradley View Post

Does anyone really care what Steve Baldmer has to say any more?

Who?
  • Reply 36 of 132
    Quote:

Yeah, Chrome is about "doing everything in the browser" based on the assumption that this would be easier for most people, but not only has that assumption never been proven, people are already moving away from the browser because it's considered too difficult for most people.

This is something that rarely filters through the mind of a techie (like most who visit this forum), but the best thing about the rise of the new mobile platform is that it's bringing in a whole lot of new users that found "traditional" computing (including web browsers), too complicated and confusing.

Chrome OS is just not a good OS for anyone but a fairly technical user. And it simply won't get any market share beyond those users. iOS on the other hand is exactly what Chrome promised it would be from the outset. A new, simple, always "on" OS that any idiot can use with a lot of the back end in the cloud. Chrome has no purpose now.

If "web app" is a workable idea, Apple would have had great success with its original "web apps" approach in the original iPhone back in 2007. The huge success and popularity of the App Store has proven that people don't like to connect to the internet to do every trivial stuff esp. when the internet is still significantly terribly slower than the access speed of the slowest hard drive. A web browser is good for the browsing the web, and that's it.
  • Reply 37 of 132
    Why does AppleInsider continue to give this raging Apple fanboy the space to write his rants? We know what he's going to say: If it's not an Apple product, it sucks. It's laughable. Please, stop posting this nonsense from Mr. Dilger.
  • Reply 38 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Android is essentially a modified version of JavaME

I registered just to say that the only thing in common Android has with JavaME is that they run on mobile devices. Then all similarities end. And OSX is essentially a modified version of Windows
  • Reply 39 of 132
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Microsoft should be scared. Chrome OS offers a lightweight OS for Atom-based and other slower machines that Windows OS (desktop) can't match while also being easy to use, which no version of common Linux-builds on a netbook can match. I can see Chrome OS quickly capturing a great deal of MS' Windows business in a very short time.

You mean the Chrome os that doesn't exist? You're usually more lucid than this ^

By the way, it's a horrible idea to use any of Googles products or services. Similar could probably be said about both apple and microsoft, but they're better at hiding it so far.
  • Reply 40 of 132
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Do you know how many articles in business websites have already said the same thing that's been said here? Even worse? This is moderate by comparison.

Do you trust a company whose CEO said that they would know more about you than you did yourself, and that they would make decisions for you before you knew you wanted to make them? And how about him saying to people who weren't happy about having their homes on the Internet in Street View, that they could always move afterwards?

Does that turn you on? It turns me off! So I think this article could have been a lot stronger. How much of that data you will be trusting with them will they be using for their "dream"?

Can you imagine the furor if Jobs had said anything like this? Google is getting a pass

because they convince people that they're nice guys, which they aren't.

Nice to see someone here has a brain. How anyone can conclude from the volumes of evidence available, that Google is in any way a safe entity to be involved, is beyond me.

They are not good. Who they really work for I can't say, but it's not the user. It's the complete opposite.