China catches 'Apple fever' as potential iPhone market continues to grow

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Haven't they read Consumer Reports?!
  • Reply 22 of 40
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    I'm confused -- I thought China Mobile used an entirely different technology that was incompatible with the iPhone. I thought it was some CDMA-derivative. So how could they just "trim a SIM" and get the iPhone 4 to work on their network?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm confused -- I thought China Mobile used an entirely different technology that was incompatible with the iPhone. I thought it was some CDMA-derivative. So how could they just "trim a SIM" and get the iPhone 4 to work on their network?

They use TD-SCDMA as 3G technology, which I think is related to W-CDMA (aka UMTS):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TD-SCDMA

So AFAIK iPhones should not work on their 3G network. They use GSM as 2G technology, though.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Apple products have been huge in China for the past 5 years. Brian White you don't know jack. Don't be too proud of yourself.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

The Chinese are not rich enough to favor Apple, which is relatively costly hardware. China will be primarily a country of Android users. And frnakly, the differences between the interfaces are pretty trivial anyway.

Wow, way to show what you don't know.

Yes China has extensive poverty, about 700mil people worth of it. But that means 300mil people aren't poor. That's about the size of the whole population of the USA -- except all have money.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

The Chinese are not rich enough to favor Apple, which is relatively costly hardware. China will be primarily a country of Android users. And frnakly, the differences between the interfaces are pretty trivial anyway.

You're talking about a nation with an annual income group of $75k upwards numbering about 55 million strong. That's almost the entire population of the UK.

Why do you think Ferrari, Lamborghini, Cartier and all the high-value marques are tripping over each other to get into the Chinese market?

The differences between interfaces may be trivial, but at the high end, as with the Ferraris and Lamborghini's vis-a-vis the Honda's and Toyota's, it's all about perceived quality, which Apple has in bag-loads, and which Google is studiously trying to avoid with Android as that is not part of its strategy.

Sadly, China's implementation of Android will not necessarily favour Google's own services in terms of licensing, or their search and advertising either with the likes of Baidu and other local giants dominating the scene.

That said, if there's any global market where there is room for many and more, it's got to be China.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

IS this the same chinese who are not rich enough that forced Porsche to create a 4 seater?

Ah! I didn't know that but it makes sense. That's very smart of Porsche - the 911 isn't very practical here in China, the Cayenne outsells it by quite a wide margin.

It was obviously the right call as I've been seeing at least one or two Panameras nearly every day on my regular commute these few weeks. It's starting to catch up to the Cayenne as China's most favoured Porsche.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spezi View Post

They use TD-SCDMA as 3G technology, which I think is related to W-CDMA (aka UMTS):

So AFAIK iPhones should not work on their 3G network. They use GSM as 2G technology, though.

That's right - you can use the iPhone on China Mobile but only 2G (including GPRS).
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

And when it comes to billionaires:

And if anything, they pay in cash.

I think all of these wealth rankings/surveys actually underestimate the true wealth. There are a lot of rich folks here sitting on "black money" (there's a reason why they like to pay in cash).
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

This is so far off base I really don't even know where to start. I shall just say, 100% wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Congratulations! You just won troll of the day!
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Some good points have been brought up here, so I won't repeat them.

I just wanted to add that the Chinese are the most ostentatious group I have ever encountered. The thing that Chinese people fear the most, aside from being poor, is being mistaken by others for being poor. There's a distinct social pecking order here which is driven by how wealthy others think you are, and which affects how others treat you (well) and how you can treat others (badly). This has a very decided effect on Chinese spending habits. It's why young couples here will spend a year's salary to buy a car (which they then won't drive to work due to the bad traffic), why every young lady strives to own at least one LV purse (preferably real, but a good fake will also do), and it's also why folks in general are willing to spend so much of their disposable income on fancy cell phones (iPhones) and electronic gadgets (iPads).

As an expat working in Beijing I am constantly reminded of, and disgusted by, this superficialness that surrounds me. However, as a long-time investor of Apple stock I still see an untapped potential here. I feel that Apple is about to reach a tipping point in China - nearly everyone that plays with my iPad ends up buying one for themselves (or asks me to bring them one from the US). Apple obviously realizes the same and it's why they are planning to open so many stores across China next year. And it's not just iPhones and iPads that are selling well - from talking with staff at the Apple store, the new MacBook Airs are hot sellers too.

So don't underestimate the potental of these Chinese consumers. Yes, there are a lot of poor folks here, but the addressable market for Apple is huge and it is growing at an ever-increasing rate. And besides, this is a bad argument to make as the US is not exactly poverty-free either and even many of the so-called middle class folks there have huge debt and are effectively living day-to-day.

Regarding Android, it's all about the image and the apps. Until there is an Android phone that looks and feels as good as the iPhone (4), the Android fanboys can keep dreaming. And as for the apps there are a large number of them geared towards Chinese users on Apple's Chinese App Store (you can find many of them on the US and UK stores as well).
  • Reply 33 of 40
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spezi View Post

ah... maybe that's it. How strange, though -- so if you're in an area that lacks TD-SCDMA, you fall back to GSM? So a phone on their network has to support both? No wonder Apple has been slow to support them
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

From Apple's latest 10-k

Net Sales increase from 2009-2010, by Operating Segment:

Americas: up 29%

Europe: up 58%

Japan: up 75%

Asia-Pacific: up 160%

Must simply be the iPhone is really popular, then? Yes, but there's more to the story:

Mac Unit Sales from 2009-2010, by Operating Segment:

Americas: up 21%

Europe: up 36%

Japan: up 22%

Asia-Pacific: up 62%

Note those are Mac unit sales, not net sales. Apple doesn't separate margin for individual products, but it's generally believed that Macs enjoy a significantly greater margin than their other products.

Quote:

Asia-Pacific net sales were also favorably affected by strong demand for Mac portable and desktop systems and for iPad. Particularly strong year-over-year growth was experienced in China, Korea and Australia.

Maybe those poor dirt farmers are smart enough not to buy cheap junk.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIA View Post

However, as a long-time investor of Apple stock I still see an untapped potential here.

You're not the only one.

Quote:

As an expat working in Beijing I am constantly reminded of, and disgusted by, this superficialness that surrounds me.

You're not the only one.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

In case you're ignorant enough to take note that china is the largest creditor to the US. Hope this knocks some reality into your retarted brain
  • Reply 37 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

In case you're ignorant enough to take note that china is the largest creditor to the US. Hope this knocks some reality into your retorted brain

I wish I had a retorted brain, I can never think of the right thing to say at the time.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

In case you're ignorant enough to take note that china is the largest creditor to the US. Hope this knocks some reality into your retorted brain

There's really no call for this. He's a troll; this has been established. Please edit your post to remove the unnecessary insults.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's really no call for this. He's a troll; this has been established. Please edit your post to remove the unnecessary insults.

Or at least he should edit the post (again) to spell "retarded" correctly. Looking through the posts, looks like he corrected "retorted" to spell "retarted", which is even more lulz.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIA View Post

So don't underestimate the potental of these Chinese consumers. Yes, there are a lot of poor folks here, but the addressable market for Apple is huge and it is growing at an ever-increasing rate. And besides, this is a bad argument to make as the US is not exactly poverty-free either and even many of the so-called middle class folks there have huge debt and are effectively living day-to-day.

I agree with you.....Somehow I can feel Chinese people have the ability to afford these maybe"high-priced but unnecessary" goods. However, there are still a lot of poor guys in their country. But I thought even in US, there're still some people can't afford that or in need!