Apple's next-gen iPad to get iPod touch-like back, wide-range speaker - rumor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The second-generation iPad may have a smaller bezel, a flat back panel and a wide-range speaker, a new unverified report claims.

Japanese Mac blog MacOtakara published the rumor Thursday, citing an "anonymous Chinese source."

According to the source, the LCD screen on the next-generation iPad will stay the same size, while the new tablet will be 3mm smaller, reportedly measuring 239mm by 186mm. The current iPad, which measures 242.8 mm by 189.7 mm, was criticized for its wide bezel when it was first unveiled in January.

Apple will reportedly change the back of the new iPad to be "flat like an iPod touch," which would also resolve criticisms that the iPad's curved back is impractical. According to the report, the Ambient Light Sensor has been moved to the "upper center of the rear panel" and has a new 3mm slim hole.

The rumor also suggested that a slot on the bottom of the device, which was spotted in early case designs, is actually a "large wide-ranged speaker unit covered with metal mesh."

Production of the new iPad has allegedly already begun, with a tentative shipping date of mid to late January, the report noted. Recent reports have suggested that Foxconn will begin shipping the iPad 2 to Apple in January or February. Apple could ramp up production capacity of the iPad to as much as 6 million per month.

A second rumor that the next iPad will have two cameras--a front camera for FaceTime and a rear camera equipped for recording video, was labeled as "unreliable information" by the blog.

In September, AppleInsider exclusively reported that Apple plans to bring its FaceTime video chat standard onto the iPad in its next revision, possibly ahead of the usual 12 month product cycle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Hopefully, by 'iPod Touch-like back' they don't (also) mean the use of utterly impractical polished metal.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Hopefully, by 'iPod Touch-like back' they don't (also) mean the use of utterly impractical polished metal.

Da! Big news! I agree with you for once!

But I never disliked the curved back, best shape ever put on a machine, in my experience, and the bezel always looked right to me. Version 1 to be a collector's item?

Anyway, the thick aluminum back was a heat sink, so I doubt they'll ditch it.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I never understood the anti-fetish people have about "wide" bezels. Somehow I doubt 1.5mm off each side will appease such critics (and I doubt bezel size played any role in the decision).
  • Reply 4 of 48
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Please not the chrome back finish of the iPod touch! I doubt that they will change the bezel size, which from my experience is perfect. It keeps my hands away from the display touch area.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Agreed. Keep it flat & matte!
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Agreed. Keep it flat & matte!

that is what they mean... a flat back like an iPod touch. not polished like one...
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Facetime yes but a camera for recording video, not so much. Doesn't seem like a fit putting a camera on the iPad for shooting video and stills. Way too awkward to be something Apple would consider.

The only possible use could be to show someone something in detail but if the front-facing camera's resolution were decent enough, one camera could do the trick. Just turn the device towards whatever one wants to show while in Facetime mode.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Facetime yes but a camera for recording video, not so much. Doesn't seem like a fit putting a camera on the iPad for shooting video and stills. Way too awkward to be something Apple would consider.

The only possible use could be to show someone something in detail but if the front-facing camera's resolution were decent enough, one camera could do the trick. Just turn the device towards whatever one wants to show while in Facetime mode.

I'll have to disagree here. There is a really amazing storyboard composer for the iPhone/iPod Touch and if it were available on the iPad, it would be a godsend to not have the extra step of having to download pictures already taken from a different camera onto the device. Take the pictures and make the storyboard on the spot!
  • Reply 9 of 48
    An ambient light sensor on the back of the iPad doesn't make much sense.

If I have the unit resting on something the sensor isnt going to have the right reading.

What matters is the ambient light on the screen.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    n.kn.k Posts: 7member
    i personally hope they put a second camera on it. firstly for face time being able to tap a button and show the other person what your looking at is a major feature in facetime and physically turning the device around is impractical and only going to result in alot of dropped iPads. another reason is that all the competitors have them so not having it makes it look like the iPad is missing something major. we might know its impractical but newbies dont and might see it as a major omission thus costing sales. also the iPad would be great to use iMovie on and sometimes you just need to capture a clip to make a project prefect. so i dont think the back camera is so much for taking photos but capturing short video clips then editing it.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That all sounds reasonable, including the larger speaker. (Which explains the big hole in leaked cases?so I?m afraid I no longer expect USB or SD ports.)

Except for the ambient light sensor on the back. There?s plenty of glass up front to put it where it makes sense.

An 4th gen iPod-shaped back would be nice. Thin edge, but stable for table usage.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Man, I am so glad I'm saving up for one of these things ahead of time.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    I actually LOVE the curved feel of the iPad.

It is VERY comfortable to hold, just too heavy.

In fact, I was very disappointed when Apple moved from the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 4 because the previous model always felt comfortable in my hand.

The hard edges of the iPhone 4 are not comfortable to hold at all.

Apple in fact has altered its recent products in order have a very attractive and cool look, but at the cost of ergonomics.

The hard edges of the recent MacBook Pro and the iPhone 4 are not fun to carry and hold.

Here we go again, i fear.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I think the iPod touch shows that Apple considers two cameras standard for FaceTime on mobile devices. The camera on the iPod touch is clearly not intended for photography (Apple didn't even say whether it could take stills when they introduced it). I suspect the iPad will have the same two cameras as the current iPod touch. It's just there so you can show people stuff on FaceTime and for the augmented reality apps they love so much.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

The hard edges of the iPhone 4 are not comfortable to hold at all.

Apple in fact has altered its recent products in order have a very attractive and cool look, but at the cost of ergonomics.

The hard edges of the recent MacBook Pro and the iPhone 4 are not fun to carry and hold.

I think it has to do with the stupid fact that today's cars and trucks are going back to hard edges and losing the curves. Just look at the stupid Chrysler minivans, Toyota Camry, Ford super duty trucks vs. the previous generation.

Personally I think the current trend is crap. It isn't like a boxy figure on a woman will win over a curvacious one, ever!
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I think it has to do with the stupid fact that today's cars and trucks are going back to hard edges and losing the curves. Just look at the stupid Chrysler minivans, Toyota Camry, Ford super duty trucks vs. the previous generation.

Personally I think the current trend is crap. It isn't like a boxy figure on a woman will win over a curvacious one, ever!

Just look at the Pontiac Zune, I mean the Pontiac Aztek - it's to blame for the current hard edges.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Why not have one forward facing lens, but on the back have a small LCD, digital camera sized, for purposes of viewing a location for augmented reality purposes ?
  • Reply 18 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Just look at the Pontiac Zune, I mean the Pontiac Aztek - it's to blame for the current hard edges.

C'mon you guys, haven't you ever seen an old Leica? I don't imagine Ive and Jobs are reiterating the 'blockhead' school of car design, which got started with the Hummer 2, if not the first Jeep Cherokee. These represent the anti-tactile antithesis of the iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I never understood the anti-fetish people have about "wide" bezels. Somehow I doubt 1.5mm off each side will appease such critics (and I doubt bezel size played any role in the decision).

For a device as big as the iPad and with the target of being so many different things the wide bezel makes sense. It's already huge so offer people different ways of holding it.

Having used an iPad for a few months I can say that trimming the bezel by 1.5-2.0 mm on each side isn't going to reduce the usability of the bezel as a handle. I really think Apple hates having their "perfect" devices put into any type of case so they make minor changes every year to screw over the case makers and confuse customers looking to buy a case.

Apple has said there won't be a 7" iPad and I believe it. It's the wrong size for a tablet or super sized phone. The Galaxy Tab is too wide for many hands and pockets.

To me the perfect mobile information appliance (not tablet) would have a screen size of roughly 5.75" and the miniature bezels of the iPod touch. It would offer 2.25x as much screen as the touch in a device that still fits into the palm of your hand, slips into many pockets and fits easily into almost any purse. With a wired or Bluetooth headset it could even be used as a phone, but I'm far more interested in it having an iPad style no-contract data plan. For the few times when I actually have to call someone rather than email/Facetime/iChat/SMS I carry a small flip phone that I got for $79 way back in 2005. $10/mo gets me all the minutes I need.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

that is what they mean... a flat back like an iPod touch. not polished like one...

Except the iPod Touch does not have a flat back, it's curved!!