Apple expected to pack ultrafast, dual core SGX543 graphics into iPad 2, iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    All good. Apple need to capitalise on their vertical market. They can write the drivers for these chips - the Android guys have to leave it to the manufacturers.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    To those worried about an iPad melt down, this won't be a problem with a process shrink and a little engineering. Various foundries are reporting very significant power reductions at 32 & 22 nm.

In any event it looks like iPad 2 could be a winner.
  • Reply 23 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

PSP2 reputed to have this chip.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-graphics.aspx

Oh, dear... PSP2 firmware hacked to run on the iPad, anyone?
  • Reply 24 of 145
    We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. The ARM has come a loooong way from the days when it powered the Newton!
  • Reply 25 of 145
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GRevolution View Post

OK, couple of things. While it would be awesome to have both a dual core Cortex A9 and SGX543, that's not going to happen. There is no way Apple can squeeze that much silicon into the iPhone 5 and maintain battery life like we expect or stop heat generation from melting the phone.

Also, correct the part about Qualcomm Snapdragons. They don't use SGX530s, rather they use Adreno 200-series. The TI OMAP-3s do use 530s.

Still, if this is all true iPhone 5=Most badass phone in history

This is a rather mysterious response. Nvidia Tegra 2 phones are already in markets in Korea (LG Optimus 2x) and there will be a few of these phones in the States by Spring.

The Nvidia Tegra 2 SoC is a dual-core A9 CPU and an ultra low power Nvidia GeForce GPU capable of 70m tri/s. It requires a bit of power as these phones have large batteries. But this should be part of Apple's in-house efforts to maximize power efficiency and get it fabbed in the best CMOS node possible (32 nm to 40 nm). In fact there are 3 or 4 different multi-core SoCs coming out ranging from Nvidia, Qualcomm, TI and Samsung.

So, yes, Apple can squeeze the silicon in and maintain thermals and battery performance.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    I never bought the ipad because it was very basi. from what i read I will buy the ipad 2. I hope Apple will stop making none 3G models because it is just a way to rip people off.
  • Reply 27 of 145
    winstwinst Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A 15? Thinkpad QXGA IPS dispaly panel on eBay for $900.

In 2007 LG announced a 20.8? QXGA IPS display for medical uses.

I don't think they will be able to get 2048x1536 in high enough volume this year. The similar medical IPS monitor costs $4000 here: http://bit.ly/gipPQa

I think it is more likely a mistake than anything else.
  • Reply 28 of 145
    i bought an iphone 4 last week and it's the best phone i've ever owned

i cannot wait for iphone 5

if i found some use for ipad 2, i'd get one as well...
  • Reply 29 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Is anyone here going to refrain from upgrading unless the iPad 2 has a dual core GPU and doubles the screen resolution?

I am refraining from owning an iPad ever. I find it to be completely useless for my needs.
  • Reply 30 of 145
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I remember reading that the best selling iPad is the 16Gb 3G model at $629. Maybe $599 is the new entry price for iPad 2. But you get a dual-core CPU, dual-core GPU and Retina Display. iPad 1 could be kept around at $399.
  • Reply 31 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I remember reading that the best selling iPad is the 16Gb 3G model at $629. Maybe $599 is the new entry price for iPad 2. But you get a dual-core CPU, dual-core GPU and Retina Display. iPad 1 could be kept around at $399.

According to Amazon.com the best selling iPad always seems to be the 16GB WiFi model (the cheapest option), followed by the 64Gb WiFi+3G model (the most expensive option). The 16Gb WiFi+3G model always seems to be the least popular. Where did you read otherwise?
  • Reply 32 of 145
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i want to buy a new iphone 4 in feb .....working the deal you see

BUT

should i wait
  • Reply 33 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlayer View Post

One thing that I haven't heard mentioned yet is that the new resolution could allow the iPad 2 to function as 2K display. It could be really popular for film and video production because someone can prep a bunch of iPads with dailies (raw footage) in 2K. The pixel density would be a lot closer to film than any other digital medium, and the pinch-to-zoom would allow users to hone in on fine detail.

As a pixel density enthusiast, I'm all for this.

Could you elaborate on 2K display and dailies?
  • Reply 34 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i want to buy a new iphone 4 in feb .....working the deal you see

BUT

should i wait

Do you need a phone in February? Then buy it.

Can you wait six months from February to get the iPhone 5? Then wait.

Simple.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Could you elaborate on 2K display and dailies?

I think he's talking about using this theoretical iPad 2 as a movie/video production tool to review footage sent over a cable to a 2K (HDTV) monitor for review.
  • Reply 36 of 145
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I realize it's not Apple's desire to go down this route again, but would an improved graphic and CPU processors allow for Flash to run smoothly without burdening battery life?

Personally, I could live without it, but I know of many who are going Android because of it's Flash compatibility.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    The difference is that apple can make software run pretty smooth on not so fast processor, while competitors HAVE to get dual core and more ram on their devices just to make the software run.
  • Reply 38 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

This is a rather mysterious response. Nvidia Tegra 2 phones are already in markets in Korea (LG Optimus 2x) and there will be a few of these phones in the States by Spring.

The Nvidia Tegra 2 SoC is a dual-core A9 CPU and an ultra low power Nvidia GeForce GPU capable of 70m tri/s. It requires a bit of power as these phones have large batteries. But this should be part of Apple's in-house efforts to maximize power efficiency and get it fabbed in the best CMOS node possible (32 nm to 40 nm). In fact there are 3 or 4 different multi-core SoCs coming out ranging from Nvidia, Qualcomm, TI and Samsung.

So, yes, Apple can squeeze the silicon in and maintain thermals and battery performance.

Nvidia is notorious for having thermal issues and power consumption levels that have plagued them each time they come out with a new generation of GPUs.
  • Reply 39 of 145
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

The difference is that apple can make software run pretty smooth on not so fast processor, while competitors HAVE to get dual core and more ram on their devices just to make the software run.

Apple's UI is really smooth, the best in the business. But TANSTAAFL. Having more CPU and GPU power will enable bigger and better software. They must maintain parity with competitors. There are 4 different dual-core SoCs with higher end GPUs coming throughout this year that'll go in phones and tablets. Eventually the advantages of better horsepower will take over Apple's advantages.
  • Reply 40 of 145
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Very exiting news, but seems too fast. A4 was just introduced, and replacing it this fast with a dual core, dual GPU chip on both iPad and iPhone does not seem cost affective or even possible to develop and produce this many of the chips in such a short period of time. I will be very surprised if the chip makes it to both the phone and the Pad.