Apple's new App Store restrictions block Sony eBookstore, may lock out Amazon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 275
    The first thing you realize when using the kindle app, is that it does not allow in app purchases. When you want to buy a book it redirects you to the Amazon website, where you purchase the book, and then it does a custom URL call to put you back in to the kindle app for the download. I never liked this setup, but Apple's rules about in app purchase has been the reason since day one. So, basically, nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 22 of 275
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabiopigi View Post

So whats next?

Banning eBay because its not purchasing items with in-app payment?

Removing all newspapers because they log with a code that regular paper subscriber get?

Forbidding ads that aren't iAd because the developer gets paid by the ads and not with inapp? (no really, apple doesn't make any money from admob-ads, the developer does, why shoudn't apple deserve 30% from that too? )

Or only allowing netflix if the subscription is bought with in-app?

Seriously apple, this is stupid.

Perhaps Solo got it right on an earlier post, Apple is playing a delicate game here. Have netflix, but no Hulu etc(as a side note, why doesnt Amazon allow its streaming video to iOS devices?). IMO(just a feeling), if Apple allows even one in(netfix, kindle etc), the cat is out of the bag(reeeaar) and they will eventually be forced to let them all in. I think in app content purchase/playing will be viewed(no pun) differently than an in app game upgrade. It will be interesting to see this all play out. IMO the more options the better.
  • Reply 23 of 275
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

And why Apple has to be paid? Is delivering the content, is storing the content.

Apple is not storing nor delivering any content. The content providers have paid studios ( or book publishers) for the rights, they store the rights on their servers, they handle the downloads or streaming. Apple is merely passing back a productID ( which is in itself not fit for purpose as the price doesnt match what people need nor does it generate any information for the content providers if they have to go back to the content owners with sales data).

In-App purchases are extortionate anyway.

BTW I know of a case where the very existence of a website banned an app. No links within the app, no mention of the website in the app. The app played previously bought content. Thats it. Banned.
  • Reply 24 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfawan View Post

The first thing you realize when using the kindle app, is that it does not allow in app purchases. When you want to buy a book it redirects you to the Amazon website, where you purchase the book, and then it does a custom URL call to put you back in to the kindle app for the download. I never liked this setup, but Apple's rules about in app purchase has been the reason since day one. So, basically, nothing to worry about.

That is now banned on this new interpretation. All content which can be bought outside iOS is banned. ( Kindle may have a bye).
  • Reply 25 of 275
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    This is the kind of sh*t I expect from MS...yanking the rug out from under partners and developers after they've invested MS's platform (how many different versions of online music sales did MS support and then later abandon?) It's a deterrent to any developer if they have to worry Apple might change the rules without warning after they've already created an app.

And this is the kind of thing that will give Android a leg up. If you can get your content on an Android device because Apple isn't adding a 30% tax for doing almost nothing (because the purchase interface will be in the app, not iTunes, so what is Apple contributing? nothing).

Bad Apple!!
  • Reply 26 of 275
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quite simply, Apple has a conflict of interest here. They say they want to provide a platform, and yet they also want to sell you the content on that platform. They provide a phone saying it is yours, but won't allow you to do anything with it unless you pay them.

This will, sadly, spur on the jailbreaking crowd, and push people to Android. iPhone leaves you a prisoner to Apple. It's a very nice device, but you're still held at ransom to Apple.

People here are asking why Apple should be forced to put this on their platform? Because your iPhone is owned by you. You have the right to choose the software you put on it.

I, as a developer, no longer buy the bull that is spouted as "protecting customers from viruses" - if that was the case then Apple would simply vet applications, sign those that don't break the rules, offer the option of their store or otherwise, and with Apple's signing allow distribution however the developer wants.

But let's stop deceiving ourselves: This really isnt a platform. It's Apple's way of controlling every part of this device, even when they don't own it. You do.

And before you claim otherwise, I am generally an Apple fanboy and an iPhone Developer who has, until now, always supported Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 275
    What they are doing is a anti-trust violation. It depends on whether people sue, or not.
  • Reply 28 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfawan View Post

Just curious, so the downloaded book becomes part of the app?
  • Reply 29 of 275
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    All this judgement and damning of Apple based on speculation.

The guidelines are there, clear to see. If you submit an app that does not adhere to those guidelines, it will be rejected. Is there anything evil or wrong about that?

Sony just have to make purchases work in accordance with the Apple guidelines, as with Kindle, then it will be expected. There is no talk of Apple removing Kindle, this is simply people getting carried away with conspiracy theories based on empty headlines.
  • Reply 30 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

All this judgement and damning of Apple based on speculation.

The guidelines are there, clear to see. If you submit an app that does not adhere to those guidelines, it will be rejected. Is there anything evil or wrong about that?

Sony just have to make purchases work in accordance with the Apple guidelines, as with Kindle, then it will be expected. There is no talk of Apple removing Kindle, this is simply people getting carried away with conspiracy theories based on empty headlines.

Let me make this clear. I worked on an app with no in-app purchasing which was rejected because a website existed where content could have been previously bought for the app. This is a new reading of 11.2.
  • Reply 31 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

What they are doing is a anti-trust violation. It depends on whether people sue, or not.

NO, it's not. People are free to go and buy books for an app, such as kindle. Apple simply don't allow people to do this using their internal functionality. The purchase is taken care of by the third party - like the kindle app, it works just fine.

Sony just need to follow the rules, the same as everyone else.
  • Reply 32 of 275
    Quote:

NO, it's not. People are free to go and buy books for an app, such as kindle. Apple simply don't allow people to do this using their internal functionality. The purchase is taken care of by the third party - like the kindle app, it works just fine.

Sony just need to follow the rules, the same as everyone else.

Clearly the article passed you by.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/te...pple.html?_r=2

The company has told some applications developers, including Sony, that they can no longer sell content, like e-books, within their apps, or let customers have access to purchases they have made outside the App Store.

Thats true of what I am seeing.
  • Reply 33 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Let me make this clear. I worked on an app with no in-app purchasing which was rejected because a website existed where content could have been previously bought for the app. This is a new reading of 11.2.

Nope, it's the way I've always read 11.2 (and I can't be the only developer who understands the rules or who has had a legal team look over them) and also the way I've understood the restriction of in-app purchasing.
  • Reply 34 of 275
    If they're going to be this controlling, they at least have to make 'jailbreaking' an option in iTunes - so you can download and install software as if the iPad was a fully-featured computer!
  • Reply 35 of 275
    Quote:

Nope, it's the way I've always read 11.2 (and I can't be the only developer who understands the rules or who has had a legal team look over them) and also the way I've understood the restriction of in-app purchasing.

Its a new ruling on 11.2. Any purchase outside apps is banned.

They may have a different mechanism when The Daily comes out but that is what I am seeing, and what the NYT is reporting.

This is why this is news. Its a new policy.
  • Reply 36 of 275
    Well done Apple.

Why should Apple allow competition on the iPhone, iPod, and iPads that it MAKES.

A lot of blood sweat and tears (not the song) went into these wonderful devices.

Did the competition do the same, hell NO, they just copied, and very badly.

Then they hate on Apple, try and destroy it, and then cry like little mumma's boys when Apple fights back. Apple wants you as a user and customer to buy books through iBooks, what is wrong with that, tell me ? Why should it allow Amazon and Sony free rein, no way Jose.

,I for one, will only use Apple stuff and their App store, never the competition, more of you so called Apple fans (I doubt if you really are), should do the same.
  • Reply 37 of 275
    Quote:

You previously said that Kindle is ok. However an app doing the kindle functionality would now be banned.

There would be no story here is Sony were told to direct all purchases to their website, or to use in-app purchasing for anything bought within the Sony iPad app.

There is a story because Sony have been rejected for showing purchases bought outside the iPad app i.e on another Sony app on Android, on a SOny E-Reader device, on a website even on the iPad, even on the Mac.
  • Reply 38 of 275
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Well done Apple.

Why should Apple allow competition on the iPhone, iPod, and iPads that it MAKES.

A lot of blood sweat and tears (not the song) went into these wonderful devices.

Did the competition do the same, hell NO, they just copied, and very badly.

Then they hate on Apple, try and destroy it, and then cry like little mumma's boys when Apple fights back. Apple wants you as a user and customer to buy books through iBooks, what is wrong with that, tell me ? Why should it allow Amazon and Sony free rein, no way Jose.

,I for one, will only use Apple stuff and their App store, never the competition, more of you so called Apple fans (I doubt if you really are), should do the same.

Jesus wept. APply that logic to Windows and iTunes would be banned.
  • Reply 39 of 275
    The only excuse I think they have is that - maybe - tomorrow there will be a new model announced with the Daily and they are rejecting apps for now, so they can re-tool. As usual Apple is being secretive.
  • Reply 40 of 275
    Quote:

Is it possible to post the latest '11.2' for all to read?