Review: Apple's early 2011 Thunderbolt MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Blu-Ray playback? What are you smoking. It's a notebook.

I'm now of the opinion that Apple should offer it as an option. If I were a student, I could see an advantage to of having a blu-ray player in the dorm, and that's just one example.

It may not be for everyone, but some people would welcome the option.
  • Reply 22 of 126
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    SATA III? Where did you guys find that, from the machine itself? Apple doesn't list that on the tech specs.

EDIT: found confirmation from users elsewhere. Great news. Shame it wasn't on the last round of Mac Pros but I assume this means it will be in the next update. Now if we could only get USB3 on there as well.
  • Reply 23 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

SATA III? Where did you guys find that, from the machine itself? Apple doesn't list that on the tech specs.

System Profiler.
  • Reply 24 of 126
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

I'm now of the opinion that Apple should offer it as an option. If I were a student, I could see an advantage to of having a blu-ray player in the dorm, and that's just one example.

I'm surprised Apple still keeps damn DVD drive there. Have you seen the size of that thing? It's the size of the mainboard on a13" MBP. It's a luxury that people hardly use.
  • Reply 25 of 126
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The shift of the 13 inch model to the new Sandy Bridge architecture makes the low end option more attractive than in previous MacBook Pro families, and helps to offset the slightly weaker performance of its Intel HD 3000 graphics compared to the integrated NVIDIA chip last year's model had.

Slightly weaker? From the GPU benchmarks I have seen, even with the superior 2.7Ghz i7, the MBP 13 still falls behind last years 2.66Ghz MBP 13.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbps01.html

So if you like to play games from time to time on your 13" MBP, the new models are a downgrade. This is especially problematic since the 13" MBP was already on the extreme low end for gaming and taking another step back will likely make it unusable for games for many more titles.

-kpluck
  • Reply 26 of 126
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

A blu-ray player option in a notebook is pointless without a HDMI port so you could connect it to a high resolution tv/display. Since the MBPs don't have that either I doubt they will ever get a blu-ray option.

-kpluck
  • Reply 27 of 126
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

No?Apple Stores will not install third party internal components. If you're unwilling to DIY you'll need to take it to an independent tech.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You can upgrade your own hard drives (and memory) on a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Neither voids your warranty.

Thanks for the info!
  • Reply 28 of 126
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    ATI (AMD) graphics, are the reason I'm still getting by with a 4 year old iMac.
  • Reply 29 of 126
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Blu-Ray playback? What are you smoking. It's a notebook.

While by no means an ideal viewing scenario, is it too much to ask that a $2,200 laptop be able to read the discs people have been buying since 2006, as opposed to being restricted to 14 year old optical technology?
  • Reply 30 of 126
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

MacBook Pro 15" should have an HDMI port. Thy should be done.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

A blu-ray player option in a notebook is pointless without a HDMI port so you could connect it to a high resolution tv/display. Since the MBPs don't have that either I doubt they will ever get a blu-ray option.

-kpluck

I don't understand the obsession with HDMI ports. Which port would you remove to make room for HDMI? Is a cheap $20-30 adaptor really that big a deal? It's like the port whores who want USB and HDMI and SD ports on the iPad. Where are you willing to make trade-offs to make room for the ports? I'd much rather have a multi-purpose port like TB for the flexibility. Apple's keeping the USB and FW ports for now for the people who have those devices and there aren't any TB adaptors for those things yet. But I expect the next MBP refresh will drop the FW port and go to only a single USB 2.0 port. (And drop the optical drive so Apple can make the case smaller, thinner, and lighter.)

Quote:

You did see the size of the chip required for TB, right? That may never happen.

That's the chip for the motherboard controller. Does anyone know what sort of chip is needed for devices on the bus? That chip could be a much smaller, less complex chip. Has anybody seen this chips yet?
  • Reply 31 of 126
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The only thing keeping me from buying one is the older lower resolution screen in the 13"
  • Reply 32 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

While by no means an ideal viewing scenario, is it too much to ask that a $2,200 laptop be able to read the discs people have been buying since 2006, as opposed to being restricted to 14 year old optical technology?

Is it too much to ask? No, but what are you going to do with it? OS X has no Bluray playback capabilities and most likely never will. It's a lot of wasted space for a very small return, a luxury Apple can't afford anymore. ODD will be gone by 2015, you'll see.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    Quote:

Is it too much to ask? No, but what are you going to do with it? OS X has no Bluray playback capabilities and most likely never will. It's a lot of wasted space for a very small return, a luxury Apple can't afford anymore. ODD will be gone by 2015, you'll see.

Considering that up until last year the only way Apple could get Blu-ray in their notebooks would have been to make a much thicker MBP to accommodate the 12.7mm drives. How much are the 9.5mm Blu-ray drives in those thin notebooks? Are they still $500-600 like they were in mid-2010?
  • Reply 34 of 126
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

A blu-ray player option in a notebook is pointless without a HDMI port so you could connect it to a high resolution tv/display.

Pointless unless you own a movie on BRD and you want to be able to just pop it in your laptop and watch it. People seem to ignore the whole compatibility point.
  • Reply 35 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

How much are the 9.5mm Blu-ray drives in those thin notebooks? Are they still $500-600 like they were in mid-2010?

Still too much. Better a place for a second HDD or more battery or 100 other things than a storage technology people barely use. I have a late 2007 iMac and have used DVD only for making images of my OS X restore disks ~5-6 times all these years. It's already broken (DVD drive).
  • Reply 36 of 126
    Quote:

Still too much. Better a place for a second HDD or more battery or 100 other things than a storage technology people barely use. I have a late 2007 iMac and have used DVD only for making images of my OS X restore disks ~5-6 times all these years. It's already broken (DVD drive).

An iMac makes the most sense, but the conversation is never about that. It?s always about putting it in the MBPs.

I have to think the DVD drive has more moving parts and the most prone to breakage under warranty than any other component in shipping PCs.
  • Reply 37 of 126
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Don't expect MacBook Airs to get Thunderbolt. They don't even backlit keyboards currently.

what has a fish to do with a strawberry cake?
  • Reply 38 of 126
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:

-kpluck

I was thinking the same thing. I actually hate Blu-Ray and upper end HD...I can see too much detail and I feel as though I'm watching an amateur production (unless it's animated). But...the one argument I could make for it is that I can imagine the students he's talking about heading off to college with their blu-ray discs...and no way to play them. I agree with you that the point of watching HD is contradicted on a screen of that size/resolution, though I suppose the argument would go that many students will opt for a means of playing the discs they already own or will own. Even so, I still don't see Apple using it, even if Jobs hadn't specifically said they wouldn't. They aren't pushing blu-ray...they're pushing HD itunes store purchases. Anyway...
  • Reply 39 of 126
    What i really don't get is why apple has not updated their slow disk drive to at least make them be able to run at 32x or faster.... Why haven't they upgraded em yet? As for blue ray? Why hasn't apple come out with it? Simple: if you want HD go buy from iTunes. Simple. Who doesn't want to try and get people to buy from you? What would be nice is if apple were to come up with a good video compassion codec that they could use that would allow for near Losless video from 1080p that makes the download size manageable. That would be GREAT!
  • Reply 40 of 126
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Has anybody done performance reviews between the 2.2 GHz and the BTO 2.3 GHz option? I've been searching the web, but can't find any direct comparisons. Just trying to figure out if the extra $250 is a good investment for 0.1 bump in speed and 2MB increase L3 cache. Is the Turbo Boost upper limit any higher on the 2.3 GHz chip?