Review roundup: Apple's iPad 2 is best tablet yet, but cameras disappoint

2456

Comments

  • irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post


    1GB RAM minimum should be in this Tablet. Its going to be running Garage Band. I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory. Good luck multi tasking. I don't buy anything first day especially an Apple product. Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first. Always seems to be something wrong with the first run.



    Thats because a desktop runs a FULL operating system and has many many more processes running at once. The iPad like the PS3 and Xbox 360 is a targeted platform. All of these devices run quite happily with 512mb of ram.



    Until you have any concept of how these devices operate and manage memory perhaps you should hold your tongue.
  • mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,280member
    Wait! I thought using a dinner plate to take snapshots was stupid, and no one would want to do it. Why, all of a sudden is the biggest negative against the iPad 2, the fact that it does not take high-quality stills? Did I miss something, or are reviewers just trying way too hard to find something to pick apart?
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 7,529member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post




    The discussion about 'MUST HAVE 1 GIG OF RAM' are also laughable.



    Luckily, for these super power users and geniuses who MUST have 1 gig of RAM, there are other options available for them. They can simply go and buy a XOOM, for example, where they will be able to enjoy their 1 gig of RAM in all it's full glory and with all of the added benefits, massive improvements and ultra smooth operation which that brings to the table.

  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 7,529member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post


    Poor Safari. Safari hacked in 10 seconds at annual PWN2OWN



    Can you read? What does that have to do with iPad?



    The Safari which was hacked was not iOS Safari, but Safari running on a Macbook, and IE 8 and even Firefox was hacked in that hacking contest.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 7,529member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post


    I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory.



    You seem to suffer from an extreme case of ignorance, but I will do my best to edumucate you and correct your misconceptions and your unfounded biases. Garageband for OS X is not the same as the newly released Garageband for iOS. OS X obviously requires more resources than iOS. Garageband for iOS is a slimmed down version and I believe that it only allows for 8 tracks.



    People have already tested Garageband running on the iPad2 without any problems. Quite the contrary, it ran smoothly and people have already posted songs that they have made with it.
  • hohlecowhohlecow Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post


    If a phone can hold it this hunk of plastic can.



    I think you meant, hunk of aluminum and glass.
  • logisticaldronlogisticaldron Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post


    You seem to know nothing about Operating Systems in general. I guess they ones you use don't need any RAM. Don't give me that crap that iOS is "Special" and manages its RAM differently. It still needs RAM and the more the better in my book. I've seen to many spinning beachballs / circles to know iOS runs out of memory.



    I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM. If a phone can hold it this hunk of plastic can. Apple just wants to wait till iPad3 so you will buy that also. Its their modus operandi to release very small incremental improvements so you will buy another one in 6mos to a year.



    You won?t last long as a Troll Tech new hire unless you a little effort into your forum trolling. Why don?t you show us a screenshot of this spinning beach ball on iOS. Just one screen capture that you say exists.



    The fact is that Android needs a lot more RAM to do basic functions because it?s less optimized code.



    Hunk of plastic? Really? At least put a little effort into your trolling before you?re banned again.



    PS: Apple releases one model every year for their iDevices and that?s somehow to force you upgrade more frequently. So by your logic any vendor that updates ≥ one year is somehow some evil Lets see how tablets and phones, HTC, Moto, Asus, etc. put out in 2011 alone.
  • bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I saw a video of him interviewing Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and he, along with some silly woman were asking the stupidest questions possible. He was a terrible interviewer. And I wasn't too impressed by his iPad2 review either.



    That's Mossberg's sidekick and she irritated the hell out of me. I don't get what the appeal is with Moss. His video reviews are incredibly boring. Sometimes he hits on a few details others miss, but for the way I look at products, I prefer Pogue any day.



    I saw the interview you mentioned and I agree it was an embarrassing event. By the way, she has done even more appalling interviews for Microsoft products. Watching her made me cringe.
  • whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    At just 0.33 inches thick, the iPad 2 makes the Motorola Xoom tablet look "obese,"



    ROFL!
  • don pdon p Posts: 9member
    I agree with most of the comments regarding the quality of the cameras. I have a Nikon D5000 for picture taking. For Skype though I would like a quality image. Without seeing for myself what the front-facing image looks like it's hard to have a factual opinion. I would like to know how the IPad2 front-facing camera compares to the camera in any of today's laptop or desktop computers. Anybody have any factual information regarding this?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    Wait! I thought using a dinner plate to take snapshots was stupid, and no one would want to do it. Why, all of a sudden is the biggest negative against the iPad 2, the fact that it does not take high-quality stills? Did I miss something, or are reviewers just trying way too hard to find something to pick apart?



  • thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    ...



    The fact is that Android needs a lot more RAM to do basic functions because it?s less optimized code.



    ---



    Since this is a true fact of Android, that it runs in a Virtual Machine, basically a layer, emulator if you will, on top of the kernel... why is this point not common knowledge when comparing the specs of Android vs. iOS devices?



    In order for Android to ever run as smooth and efficiently, it will always need double the spec's of an iOS device.



    I also firmly believe that MS specifically, is actually waiting for quad-core ARM processors (which are coming) before jumping into the game.



    Once again: look at the specs of the Xoom... and then look at the performance of those specs.



    Now do the same with iPad2. See the difference? Which one is better? I believe it's a unanimous decision, the iPad2 does better with HALF the specs.



    Also another point: Apple has always been concerned about the battery specs. IF they would have added 1gb RAM, what would have been the trade off in battery life-time? Anyone?



    Here's my iPad3 specs:

    Retina Display

    iPhone 4 cameras

    1 GB Ram

    A6 Dual Core (no quad yet)

    Battery-life: roughly the same as today with advances in battery-tech and optimization within the SoC.



    I'm getting 2 iPad2s come the 25th here in Germany, regardless of my iPad3 spec-list.
  • thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Camera quality question:



    Could this also be due to the fact that since most people were wanting the camera for Facetime, that this combo of lo-res cameras could also be used eventually for Facetime over 3G or 4G?



    Although I suppose they could have lowered the res specifically when using Facetime in software, but just curious if anyone else has a a better reason than, "Apple wants you to upgrade in 6 months... they're evil" BS.
  • nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post


    1GB RAM minimum should be in this Tablet. Its going to be running Garage Band. I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory. Good luck multi tasking. I don't buy anything first day especially an Apple product. Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first. Always seems to be something wrong with the first run.



    A maximum of 8 tracks and limited software instruments will not need a gig of ram. You obviously haven't understood that this a watered down version specifically for iPad, not the full RAM hungry version.



    This isn't the first run. There was nothing wrong with the first run.



    Just because some technology that people would like (camera, flash) etc is not included does not make for an error. Price point, battery life, performance and product sixe/weight are all factors. If iPad 1 had two cameras, you can bet that battery life would have been less, the unit heavier and thicker and the price point a hundred dollars or so more.



    Technology and new features are introduced by apple when it makes technical and commercial sense to do so.



    1 GB of RAM defeats the object of good, streamlined code for iOS. The device runs beautifully, is stable and is never slow in performance.
  • kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post


    1GB RAM minimum should be in this Tablet. Its going to be running Garage Band. I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory. Good luck multi tasking. I don't buy anything first day especially an Apple product. Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first. Always seems to be something wrong with the first run.



    1GB should be the minimum ? because? Maybe so that you wouldn't feel inadequate in the playground with your friends with their slew of 1GB tablets outperforming yours? It's a mystery how Apple managed to actually demonstrate GarageBand running at all, let alone well, when the machine was hobbled with so little memory - they must have cheated and stuck some extra in when we weren't looking ...



    Perish the thought that you might have actually used it and come to the RAM conclusion after finding out that when running apps day to day that the iPad2 stutters, stalls and generally fails to do its job with the measly amount of RAM currently installed.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post


    You seem to know nothing about Operating Systems in general. I guess they ones you use don't need any RAM. Don't give me that crap that iOS is "Special" and manages its RAM differently. It still needs RAM and the more the better in my book. I've seen to many spinning beachballs / circles to know iOS runs out of memory.



    I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM.



    Which version of iOS have you used which has a "spinning beach ball"?



    "I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM" - and you would of course know how hard it it to design something like an iPad; balancing conflicting requirements of storage, RAM, processor speed, energy consumption, cameras, materials, screen size, parts availability, ports, reliability, OS design and cost .. because you have ? ? Built one? Designed one? Obviously, Apple is on the nursery slopes in all of these areas compared to your intimate knowledge of the above. Maybe you could help them point out the error of their ways and get a job as a consultant. I suppose the thrust of your advice to Jonny Ive and Steve would be simple - "Stick more RAM in it!" Job done ...
  • nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


    Camera quality question:



    Could this also be due to the fact that since most people were wanting the camera for Facetime, that this combo of lo-res cameras could also be used eventually for Facetime over 3G or 4G?



    Although I suppose they could have lowered the res specifically when using Facetime in software, but just curious if anyone else has a a better reason than, "Apple wants you to upgrade in 6 months... they're evil" BS.



    They haven't "lowered the res", they've put the best cameras in place for the device for the suited purpose - this is for video chat, not still photography - I mean SERIOUSLY - how stupid would you look using this thing as a camera. It's about processing power, battery life, unit cost - so many factors.
  • thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I was pondering my own question re: camera quality and Apple's decision to go with the lo-res cams on the iPad2, and a thought came to me:



    ...what if you'll be able to do wireless wifi-syncing with your camera rolls between devices... or even immediate "shoot and send" with all iDevices... and possibly Canon.



    Considering that there is now wifi Personal Hotspot with 4.3, this would seem to be a natural extension of that.



    Could be related to the AI article with Canon hooking up with Apple. Apple helps them integrate wifi and the necessary stacks into their point-n-shoots.



    Apple has shown iMovie, Garageband now... but the big killer App for a lot of people would be iPhoto/Aperture editing, and synced edits, keywords, categorizing, etc. between devices.



    So... could this be something? Or is there something already out there that does this that I don't know about?
  • don pdon p Posts: 9member
    I just looked at a couple of videos that review the camera quality. One video was shot outside and the quality was fine. You could see the needles on a cactus plant! That's good enough for me. Also there was a video taken from a moving vehicle. It was crisp and sharp enough to read signage that it passed. Granted the interior shots were slightly grainy but isn't that true of a lot of video cameras that don't use added lighting?



    What I haven't seen in any comments is a report on the glare problem that the IPad has. Whenever I read a book outside I have a glare problem unless I'm in the shade. I've also had the IPad shutdown from the heat of the sun. I live in Florida and enjoy taking my IPad to the beach to read or listen to music.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


    Camera quality question:



    Could this also be due to the fact that since most people were wanting the camera for Facetime, that this combo of lo-res cameras could also be used eventually for Facetime over 3G or 4G?



    Although I suppose they could have lowered the res specifically when using Facetime in software, but just curious if anyone else has a a better reason than, "Apple wants you to upgrade in 6 months... they're evil" BS.



  • thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post


    ...



    "I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM" - and you would of course know how hard it it to design something like an iPad; balancing conflicting requirements of storage, RAM, processor speed, energy consumption, cameras, materials, screen size, parts availability, ports, reliability, OS design and cost .. because you have … ? Built one? Designed one? Obviously, Apple is on the nursery slopes in all of these areas compared to your intimate knowledge of the above. Maybe you could help them point out the error of their ways and get a job as a consultant. I suppose the thrust of your advice to Jonny Ive and Steve would be simple - "Stick more RAM in it!" Job done ...



    ^THIS^ should be a sticky, or a canned code insertion



    PS: or "ram more STICK in it"!
  • mac-sochistmac-sochist Posts: 673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post


    They haven't "lowered the res", they've put the best cameras in place for the device for the suited purpose - this is for video chat, not still photography - I mean SERIOUSLY - how stupid would you look using this thing as a camera. It's about processing power, battery life, unit cost - so many factors.



    Well of course I know the reason they didn't put a higher-quality camera in it is because it's too thin?focal length is the limiting factor. That being said, could it be they wanted to minimize the number of people holding one of these up and trying to use it like a point-and-shoot? Can you imagine how idiotic that would look? People would say: "Boy, these iPad users are some stupid-ass gomers! No way I'm buying one!"
  • don pdon p Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don P View Post


    I just looked at a couple of videos that review the camera quality. One video was shot outside and the quality was fine. You could see the needles on a cactus plant! That's good enough for me. Also there was a video taken from a moving vehicle. It was crisp and sharp enough to read signage that it passed. Granted the interior shots were slightly grainy but isn't that true of a lot of video cameras that don't use added lighting?



    What I haven't seen in any comments is a report on the glare problem that the IPad has. Whenever I read a book outside I have a glare problem unless I'm in the shade. I've also had the IPad shutdown from the heat of the sun. I live in Florida and enjoy taking my IPad to the beach to read or listen to music.



    The front-facing camera on the review video of the IPad2 was fine. It appears to be no better or no worse than what's currently on most laptops and desktops.
Sign In or Register to comment.