In-depth Review: Apple's iPad 2 running iOS 4.3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 221
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPad limitations

As popular as original iPad (which I reviewed in depth last year) has proven to be, there's still a few obvious limitations. For starters, it's modeled after the iPod as a peripheral you attach to iTunes.

This is both a blessing and a curse, as it means you can't use iPad as a computer replacement; it's not a netbook in tablet form. To begin using it or to update its software or sync certain types of content, such as photos, you have to plug it in to a full blown computer. On the other hand, this also greatly simplifies content sync and backup, sparing Apple from suffering the same cloud sync data failures that have hit Microsoft, Palm, Google, RIM, Nokia and other vendors who have depended entirely upon a design that saves their mobile users' data in the cloud. If Apple's MobileMe has problems, it doesn't prevent you from using your iPad.

Apple has also maintained a blistering pace of software and operating system development, which has resulted in iOS 4.3 delivering marked improvements in browser performance and lots of bug fixes. However, it has also introduced some new bugs, including a new, annoying inconsistency in the Home button, which doesn't always immediately return the user to the Home screen as it has in the past. The system also seems more likely to stop responding for a few moments, something I've never before witnessed in an iOS device.

Because it runs iOS, iPad can't do a variety of things you can do on a Mac (or Windows PC), such as install your own fonts or other plugins, add Flash support to the web browser, or install apps from any source apart from the official App Store, or save documents to specific file system locations. It's also less flexible with printing or file sharing. However, the flip-side to these kinds of limitations is that iPad is refreshingly simple.

That makes it very easy to support and difficult to mess up (and easy to recover if things do go wrong). It's also very easy to keep up to date with both OS and app updates and security patches. There's also very little threat of malware, and viruses are virtually impossible to encounter, thanks to the sandboxed, signed environment for apps and Apple's curated software store. There's also no issues with extension conflicts or plugin management and no real app compatibility issues.

This so-called "iPad limitations" segment is like a sales pitch.
  • Reply 22 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cons:

A few minor bugs in iOS 4.3 need to get addressed

iOS' simplified interface means a variety of desktop features are not available

Cameras are largely limited to webcam uses, not good for taking photos

4. Tied to iTunes on your PC.

5. Needs to be setup and managed via your PC, connected with a cable.
  • Reply 23 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I purchased this from the Apple web site the day after it was released with a shipment date of April 14. Apple just cancelled my order and put the money back in my checking account.

Not good!

Call them up and let it rip.
  • Reply 24 of 221
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sue Denim View Post

Doesn't matter if you agree or not. But even though I want one (and will probably get one), some cons include:

4) lack of Flash (if you don't like it, turn it off. Some of us want it).

5) lack of integrated USB/Video or SD card (far more convenient way to transfer information without dragging around dongles)

6) lack of keyboard option (so far),

7) and so far, Apple seems to artificially be limiting availability. (No one seriously believes Apple couldn't offer better availability if they wanted, do they?)

Based on reviews, I'd also question Safari's performance (compared to Android's) - though I haven't found that to be a big limiter for myself.

Flash does not exist for tablets. There's a dysfunctional beta that only works to play 480p YouTube videos fairly well on brand new hardware. Saying iPad "doesn't have Flash" is like saying it doesn't support perpetual motion generators or can't be used by unicorn and fairies.

Not having an SD Card slot isn't really a flaw, it's the lack of a gaping opening for dirt. How often are you going to be uploading SD Card pics to your iPad?

Lack of a keyboard option? It's called Bluetooth, there are lots of options.

Right, Apple is failing to make iPads available because of a joke on the public. How moronic.
  • Reply 25 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

In the post-truck era, you still need a truck to build a house.

Oh shut up with the useless analogies already. It's not Post-PC until it can be setup and completely managed without even owning a PC. But, but, but, Apple can set it up in the store for you? That's all balls. That's a work around, and a bad one.
  • Reply 26 of 221
    Quote:

4) lack of Flash (if you don't like it, turn it off. Some of us want it).

If you want Flash the iPad is not for you. That is a feature. Flash is a POC technology that was a stop-gap until the web grew up.
  • Reply 27 of 221
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

4. Tied to iTunes on your PC.

5. Needs to be setup and managed via your PC, connected with a cable.

Yeah that's really held up sales of the iPod, iPhone, and iPad hasn't it?

Seems like everyone really prefers losing all their data into the cloud and being shrugged at by Palm/Google/Nokia/Microsoft. Or configuring wireless sync like the Zune, which required as many cables because it had to be plugged in to sync.

Just because an old troll like Ireland imagines a problem, doesn't mean it's really a problem.
  • Reply 28 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dragrider View Post

Yes. I, for one, do believe that Apple is doing it's best to make and deliver as many as they reasonably can. They do not need to artificially raise the already high demand for the iPad2 and "pissing off" their potential customers would not be in their best interest.

Apple isn't doing the best it can. Foxconn is doing the best they can (along with any other companies apple has contracted).

--

Another person listed 7 limitations. Personally I see one real limit which is software based and will hopefully be solved, that is the inability to access files from a memory stick. It makes getting files on or off awkward.
  • Reply 29 of 221
    I think there is a lot of misinformation floating around regarding iPad's 1080p output. I was hoping Appleinsider review would do a better job of explaining it, but it seems they did not do so.

As far as I can understand, the iPad cannot display 1080p 'native' content. It either upscales the 1024x768 (or 768p if you will) resolution to 1080p (in case of mirroring mode), or it outputs movies in 720p resolution.

The big question is - can the iPad output 1080p native content (i know not possible for movies). For example, can a developer write a program to output 1080p worth of pixels on the external display? If not, 1080p output is not the relevant specification here. The iPad can either output 720p or '768p upscaled to 1080p'.

Hope someone can chime in on this.
  • Reply 30 of 221
    Quote:

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. (J/K).

I seriously give them far more credit than you do. A company this size, with this many smart people, and 4 or 5 blockbuster releases in the past, should easily have learned more about how to manage this better and make it more consumer friendly. Just pass out vouchers at 12:01 and let people come get them the next morning when they open, without everyone having to wait in line.

I could think of a dozen ways they could do better, and I bet Apple is smarter than me.

Let's hear your ideas because the first one is just plain stupid and doesn't guarantee anything other than absolute mayhem.

"Come on down and get your voucher!" 6,000 people show up for the voucher, of which 4,103 don't really want the iPad... but, just in case...
  • Reply 31 of 221
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Good review, one thing stood out to me, Apple and all of the reviews refer to the iPad as a post PC device, this seems incorrect to me, you have to connect it to a PC before you can use it, nad to back it up, so it seems that calling the ipad post pc is misleading and basically false. It would be like calling the Toyota Prius the first post gas station car...you still go to the filling station, just less often,
  • Reply 32 of 221
    Quote:

Oh shut up with the useless analogies already. It's not Post-PC until it can be setup and completely managed without even owning a PC. But, but, but, Apple can set it up in the store for you? That's all balls. That's a work around, and a bad one.

True... but one has to remember that we are still in year one of the first iPad.

Next year... complete independence.
  • Reply 33 of 221
    grouty2grouty2 Posts: 42member
    I too find it strange that Apple had this working with any printer but pulled the feature. This puzzles me even more since others have found ways to provide access to any printer as demonstrated by the excellent Printopia. I bought it a while back and it "just works" which is what I want from this type of feature. I have it installed on all my Macs with no issues.

At US$9.95 the price is trivial but I would have thought Apple might have worked it out by now.
  • Reply 34 of 221
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

There are many types of people who have different needs. iPad is different things to different people. The post PC era is just marketing spin to say that Grandma couldn't ever get the hang of a real computer but iPad she can actually use, with a little help from a grandson from time to time.

You shouldn't care about the post PC era anyway because you are not about to give up your Mac any time soon and probably have all kinds of apps, mobileMe and a dozen other ways to move data around the internet from device to device. Bottom line is... you just want to bitch.
  • Reply 35 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Bottom line is... you just want to bitch.

We all want to bitch...
  • Reply 36 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Yeah that's really held up sales of the iPod, iPhone, and iPad hasn't it?

What's your point? I don't care what the sales are. The point is that it's currently a con. If the rumors of free Mobile Me with a digital locker is to be believe it's a con Apple want to solve. Quit being so defensive.
  • Reply 37 of 221
    Quote:

Surely a better bad analogy would be...

In the post truck era, trucks are still used to deliver cars. Still sucks, but makes a bit more sense than bringing houses into it.

It seems a bit odd that you need a PC for initial setup. Cause once done you can even setup iTunes account and all without a PC, the PC iTunes doesn't even need an account, I do it for people in store (not an apple store or a computer store even), public access Internet.. Then people just use wifi to get media etc all direct.

Makes no sense really
  • Reply 38 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

True... but one has to remember that we are still in year one of the first iPad.

Next year... complete independence.

Hopefully this year. Then I can recommend the iPad to anyone.
  • Reply 39 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

I too find it strange that Apple had this working with any printer but pulled the feature. This puzzles me even more since others have found ways to provide access to any printer as demonstrated by the excellent Printopia. I bought it a while back and it "just works" which is what I want from this type of feature. I have it installed on all my Macs with no issues.

At US$9.95 the price is trivial but I would have thought Apple might have worked it out by now.

Airprint Activator is free. Formally AirPrintHacktivator.
  • Reply 40 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There are many types of people who have different needs. iPad is different things to different people. The post PC era is just marketing spin to say that Grandma couldn't ever get the hang of a real computer but iPad she can actually use, with a little help from a grandson from time to time.

How does grandma set it up without a PC?