iOS 4.3.2 rumored to bring bug fixes, improvements within 2 weeks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is rumored to release another incremental update to its mobile operating system in the form of iOS 4.3.2, said to include bug fixes and enhancements when it arrives in the next few weeks.

Citing sources at Apple, Boy Genius Report said on Thursday that the company is currently working on iOS 4.3.2 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Tipsters allegedly indicated that the software will arrive in about two weeks.

"It's said to include a few enhancements, address security issues, and it will also fix several bugs that have affected users," the report said. It provided no specifics on what bugs or improvements the update might include.

The same site reported on iOS 4.3.1 in March, and said it would also arrive within two weeks. The actual software arrived just four days later, and was a minor release with fixes for cellular networks and a resolution for an occasional graphics glitch on the fourth-generation iPod touch.

Apple has already revealed that it will "unveil the future of iOS" at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, scheduled to start on June 6. It is widely believed that Apple will officially unveil the next major update for its mobile operating system, iOS 5, at that event, though rumors have suggested the company has no intention of showing off new iPhone hardware, as it has done in years past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Bug Fix: To remove Jailbreak from current version.

What I hope they Fix: My iPod Touch 4G, though doesn't have the graphical glitch anymore, now hard crashes even in Apple Apps (Plain iPod Touch, not jailbroken). It resets itself more than 5 times a day. It never used to this before 4.3.1.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

What I hope they Fix: My iPod Touch 4G, though doesn't have the graphical glitch anymore, now hard crashes even in Apple Apps (Plain iPod Touch, not jailbroken). It resets itself more than 5 times a day. It never used to this before 4.3.1.

1) That was said about 4.3.1 and there is still a JB for it.

2) I’d reinstall 4.3.1 if you are having an issue. If it still persists then get a new one. (By “get" I mean go into an Apple Store and exchange it)
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:

I've got a 64GB iPod Touch 4, and although I had the graphics glitch before the 4.3.1 update, I have never had a hard crash or reset, and I use it several hours a day. I agree... you might want to restore.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    I've noticed my iPhone 4 heats up way more than usual since 4.3.1, and possibly as a result, the battery is also dying significantly quicker.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Any word if this is the release that will finally get Verizon and AT&T iPhones on the same iOS version?

Just joined AT&T because my previous work-supplied iPhone 4 was backed up while running iOS 4.3. Heard that I couldn't restore it to a Verizon iOS 4.2.5. So I have a couple weeks before I can cancel my AT&T contract without any extra fees.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    h0mih0mi Posts: 4member
    Updating my phone to 4.3.1 didn't go very well... Itunes crashed in the middle of the upgrade and during the restore, it botched the restore and didn't put all the apps in the proper folders. I'm still reeling from the mess and unsure where to put everything. (yeah I know I probably should delete some unused apps).
  • Reply 7 of 35
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Any word if this is the release that will finally get Verizon and AT&T iPhones on the same iOS version?

I doubt it, not in a maintenance/patch 0.0.z release.

It appears that the CDMA iPhone and the GSM/UTMS iPhone are currently running off of different branches of the iOS code tree. It is likely that Apple forked the code to support the new handset.

A unified release would be more likely in a minor release, like iOS 4.4, or definitely in a major release (iOS 5.).

Of course, there's an outside chance that they will, but I'd never stake a bet on it.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Just joined AT&T because my previous work-supplied iPhone 4 was backed while running iOS 4.3. Heard that I couldn't restore it to a Verizon iOS 4.2.5. So I have a couple weeks before I can cancel my AT&T contract without any extra fees.

That bites. I?ve read other reviews that iPhone backups aren?t working from iPhone 4.3 or higher to the Verizon iPhone. I understand that maybe not everything can be restored due to changes, but we?re talking about a 150MB+ app, you?d think they would have built in some contingency.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by h0mi View Post

Updating my phone to 4.3.1 didn't go very well... Itunes crashed in the middle of the upgrade and during the restore, it botched the restore and didn't put all the apps in the proper folders. I'm still reeling from the mess and unsure where to put everything. (yeah I know I probably should delete some unused apps).

That happened to me with the 4.3.0 update, but 4.3.1 went smoothly. Still haven't finished re-sorting all of my apps...
  • Reply 10 of 35
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Apple needs to learn to issue patches instead of forcing an entire OS upgrade (that is obviously unreliable for many people) every time they fix a few little bugs. WAKE UP APPLE!
  • Reply 11 of 35
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I've noticed my iPhone 4 heats up way more than usual since 4.3.1, and possibly as a result, the battery is also dying significantly quicker.

I read somewhere that if you turn off the Ping feature, it might help somewhat on battery drain - not sure, but I never use Ping anyway, so turned it off on my IP4.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Still waiting for the unlock for 4.3.1, so I can use a German SIM card when I travel to Europe in May. Perhaps they will probably wait now a little longer, after 4.3.2, before figuring out the unlock software (it seems they have taken a long time for this unlock, but can't remember for sure; is Apple getting better at locking down the baseband for ATT?). Makes me angry that everywhere else in the world you can get an unlocked iphone - just not here.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by h0mi View Post

Actually, that happens after a restore even if iTunes doesn't crash. I've had to restore my iPod touch twice and had to restore from a backup twice during each restore because iTunes wouldn't put the apps in the correct folders the first time. Try restoring from a backup again and see if it works.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Not a single crash for me. 4.3.1. iPT4. usage around 6 hours daily.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Like many users, updating to iOS 4.3 caused immediate WiFi connectivity issues with my iPhone 4. iOS 4.3.1 didn't resolve the issues, so I restored the iPhone. I first restored as new to see if that corrected the WiFi issue; it didn't. So I restored from the backup I'd just made immediately before the restore. Everything was restored except iBooks had inexplicably lost all of the book samples I'd been amassing since last summer! It'd become second nature to download a sample into iBooks every time I came across a book or author I thought I'd be interested in. I had between 50 and 75 samples stored and they've just vanished without a trace!

iTunes Support was completely unhelpful, informing me that iTunes doesn't track book sample downloads into iBooks, only purchased content, and offered me little more than "sorry" for my "inconvenience".

I tried restoring the iBooks app from before I did the iPhone restore, but Time Machine, I recently discovered, has been systematically deleting all my recent backups and no longer has anything older than a week ago! I know that it purges older backups when it gets full or has to do a full backup, but there've been no major changes/additions to my system since I bought the Time Capsule, so I don't honestly understand how it might have run out of space. Regardless, I've had it since May 2009 and that the Time Machine graphic stretches "into infinity" seems absurd to me now that it can't see past last week!

As most here familiar with my posts know, I'm usually a champion of Apple and its products and services. But lately, the shortcomings and failures of Apple's otherwise reliable ecosystem have left me with lost data, little to no hope of every recovering it, and tarnished confidence in Apple's ability to deliver a superior user experience. I hope iOS 4.3.2 delivers some improvements, but frankly I'm more concerned about what else it's going to mess up.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The only fix I'm hoping for is to get the same battery life on my 3GS as I had with 4.2.1...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Apple needs to learn to issue patches instead of forcing an entire OS upgrade (that is obviously unreliable for many people) every time they fix a few little bugs. WAKE UP APPLE!

Wasn't that the root cause of the WP7 update that bricked the Samsung smartphones? I think that's only a good idea in theory; not so much in the real world.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Not a single crash for me. 4.3.1. iPT4. usage around 6 hours daily.

I must be holding it wrong eh?

I'll do a restore when I get home. If that doesn't solve it, then off to the Apple Store I'll go for an exchange. I think its purely software related, as I NEVER had an issue before the update.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

They know how to do it but they prefer not to. I think it is a security/jailbreaking issue mainly but also because of the Flash Memory Fragmentation problem. Just one clean wipe and reinstall. The phone is less prone to problems with a clean install.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    I would love for them to give the option to drop the "samsonite luggage lock"-style virtual wheels that are necessary every time I need to input a time for an alarm, calendar appointment, etc, in favour for a good-old telephone style touch pad.

I mean, with a virtual touchpad, you can input 7:30 by touching the screen 3 times, which you can rarely say about the idiotic UI they have now...
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

No thank you. That is how Microsoft does things. Patches = greater chances of corruptions.