Apple unveils new 64-bit Final Cut Pro X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 159
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't believe there are other apps: Color, Motion, Compressor, Soundtrack -- it's all in FCP -- no return trips.

It would be nice if they were all one app but given that this wasn't spelled out I doubt that is true. I think they would have name dropped the other apps and server if they were integrated

The price also seems too low to be one app covering the whole suite. $500-600 seems more like it in that case.

I wonder if it will allow 3rd party plugins as well. Must look into all this before June
  • Reply 22 of 159
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Ditto that. FCX has been left behind, but with the new FCP-X at only $300, they'd be hard pressed to keep FCX in any form....

I was listening in on a live stream. They confirm there is no Express. It's all Final Cut Pro now.

And quite frankly, at $299...It's a steal. Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas and Avid MC are toast - no way can they match that.
  • Reply 23 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

No support for 12 cores?

:-)

It supports Grand Central Dispatch which means it will support all cores you throw at it.

And OpenCL for realtime GPU intensive calculations.
  • Reply 24 of 159
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

It supports Grand Central Dispatch which means it will support all cores you throw at it.

And OpenCL for realtime GPU intensive calculations.

No, they do use GCD but they specified 8 cores max at the event.
  • Reply 25 of 159
    Studio? What about the other apps?
  • Reply 26 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It would be nice if they were all one app but given that this wasn't spelled out I doubt that is true. I think they would have name dropped the other apps and server if they were integrated

The price also seems too low to be one app covering the whole suite. $500-600 seems more like it in that case.

I wonder if it will allow 3rd party plugins as well. Must look into all this before June

I got the impression from in and out audio of the demo thah Randy did there was Color and Motion in the product -- whether those are in-app purchases is another thing.

No mention of plugins, I have a few expensive ones -- but they may be obviated by built-in capabilities.
  • Reply 27 of 159
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Studio? What about the other apps?

It's my assumption that the other applications will be individual downloads.
  • Reply 28 of 159
    $299? and to think i was so pissed a couple hours ago when i missed out on the ebay auction to get the old version for $350.
  • Reply 29 of 159
    tfgtfg Posts: 8member
    Rant --

Looks like the slickest interface ever ... for a mouse-driven editor. It plays catch-up to most of the rendering/64bit stuff to Adobe, plus has a few genuinely great tools that will help the "1 man band" corporate/wedding/etc video makers out there, but not really THAT much for the TV pros. Regardless, I am excited to try it out and have some fun messing around on the timeline. There are some genuinely good ideas going on here.

Unfortunately... there were several things that FCP never did in the first place which solidified AVID's position as the go-to software when you needed more bells and whistles ...and it seems that is still the case ... now more so than ever.

I use FCP about 10 hours every day. I am currently cutting 3 different TV shows on it. I've had a wishlist building in my head over the years of the things that would make my job, as a professional TV editor, easier and faster. Believe it or not... this demo only addressed 1 of them - the rendering issue - and that isn't even my biggest concern.

In my humble opinion this release definitively positions FCP-X as a Premiere Pro competitor for the indie and prosumer market. It definitely makes AVID's interface look even more hideous and antiquated, but it also widens AVID's unique position as the only editing software with all the bells and whistles to play nice in broadcast TV.
  • Reply 30 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

$299? and to think i was so pissed a couple hours ago when i missed out on the ebay auction to get the old version for $350.

That was a close call.
  • Reply 31 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I know what this reminds me of: http://twitpic.com/4k7835

I'll reserve final judgment until I actually use it, but I freaking hate iMovie 10's UI. Damn you Randy.

To be honest with you I'm the other way around. I freaking hate the iMovie 6 and FCP/Express interface.

iMovie 09+ made me more productive rather than the other way around.

For the cost of FCE I'm definitely in and will get well back into video editing with this one.
  • Reply 32 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

To be honest with you I'm the other way around. I freaking hate the iMovie 6 and FCP/Express interface.

iMovie 09+ made me more productive rather than the other way around.

For the cost of FCE I'm definitely in and will get well back into video editing with this one.

Any simplification of the process and more built-in intelligence will be a boon for filmmakers and editors. Great stuff.
  • Reply 33 of 159
    Quote:

I hear you, but the UI is the main way to make all of these professional features work and I absolutely hate the iMovie UI. I just think it is absolutely retarded IMO.

Why? I have never once heard someone who has railed on the iMovie 09+ interface give me a valid reason for what makes the interface so bad. Not one.

I've heard emotive responses but not a single reason as to why the interface is so bad.

So front up. Why do you hate it?
  • Reply 34 of 159
    My initial reaction is; if they're offering this via the Mac App Store, would it still come with all the Jam Packs that the existing FCS includes? If so that would be a tremendously large download size. Maybe Apple will cut bundling the Jam Packs and start selling them in stores as a separate bundle and that's where some of the savings are coming from.

If Final Cut Studio is only $299, I wonder what price for Logic Studio, maybe just $199! That or they could stop selling Logic Studio as a separate bundle.

So many questions...all will be revealed in time...
  • Reply 35 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

If Final Cut Studio is only $299

..nope, final cut PRO is $299, not final cut STUDIO. There's no word on the other studio apps yet.
  • Reply 36 of 159
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tfg View Post

Rant --

Looks like the slickest interface ever ... for a mouse-driven editor. It plays catch-up to most of the rendering/64bit stuff to Adobe,

It goes deeper than that. For the Mac Premier Pro does not utilize the Core API's built into OS X, Premier does not use Grand Central Station, nor does it use Open CL.

There will likely be a significant performance difference between Final Cut X and Premier Pro.

Quote:

but it also widens AVID's unique position as the only editing software with all the bells and whistles to play nice in broadcast TV.

At this point post houses I see still primarily using Avid are those that have heavily invested in Avid. What are the bells and whistles Avid still poses?
  • Reply 37 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lales View Post

"promising it will be as "revolutionary" as the first version of the software"

I'm a Apple fanboy, a very happy Apple stock owner, and a daily user of FCP.

HOWEVER... this is a promise to take with a grain of salt. The first version of FCP was revolutionary only for its price point, and NOT for any other technical or creative reason. One could make the point that Premiere Pro was first at that price point.

At that price a tool that will be easy to use for kids up to Big budget Film editing 4k thru blackmagic hardware will be epic!

Edit while ingesting!!! use of all cores!!! Some of the new breakout boxes with thunderbolt are 1000.00 bucks and FC will be 300.. more money for other stuff!

The impact it will have among schools, indies, etc. The price by itself is revolutionary. Can't wait to get mine.
  • Reply 38 of 159
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Sounds like they fixed the single tasked-ness of FC. I remember being annoyed with not being allowed to work on some things while the program was doing other things.

Quote:

I know what this reminds me of: http://twitpic.com/4k7835

I'll reserve final judgment until I actually use it, but I freaking hate iMovie 10's UI. Damn you Randy.

I have used iMovie 10, the similarities are there, but there is obviously a lot more to it just from the very few screen shots I've seen of this new program.

Quote:

..nope, final cut PRO is $299, not final cut STUDIO. There's no word on the other studio apps yet.

I recall there was a time FCP was sold separately at retail, it's kind of nice to see it stand alone again.
  • Reply 39 of 159
    Quote:

Oh silly me.
  • Reply 40 of 159
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Some of the new breakout boxes with thunderbolt are 1000.00 bucks and FC will be 300.. more money for other stuff!

Like super fast RAIDs that will be needed to handle the big multi-k formats.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I recall there was a time FCP was sold separately at retail, it's kind of nice to see it stand alone again.

Yes. We use Final Cut and Compressor mostly. Sometimes we use Color, but since we have a Lustre that doesn't happen much. Everything else is never used. I mean never.