Comments

• Reply 21 of 304
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Get some rest, Dan.
  • Reply 22 of 304
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

LG introduced the Prada late 2006. So only took Apple a couple months of R&D and design to copy the Prada?

DED is implying that Samsung copied Apple in under a month. So if Samsung could do that, Apple could copy LG.

(Note, I think the whole "Copy" claim in both cases is stupid)
  • Reply 23 of 304
    It's a pretty sad time when you can spread lies that violate even the sequence of events in time and make it stick. And make no mistake?this will stick in the public mind. We already have the usual suspects on this thread to drive home the message. It doesn't matter what happened before what. Apple can steal either forwards or backwards in time!

This is a tried-and-true technique and it has never failed yet. Reagan inherited a $900 billion national debt, and he and Bush ran it up to $7 trillion. What's to blame? The "Carter Deficit." They still use this term every day. The global economic collapse that happened long before the 2008 election? The "Obama recession." If something reflects badly on someone you don't like, such niceties as causality or reason fly out the window. This meme will stick like glue, and if you try to point out the facts, you're nothing but a "brainwashed Apple fanboi!"
  • Reply 24 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

This is funny since ios is a blatant rip-off of Palm OS which has been the same since the 90's>

This is funny since Palm OS is a blatant rip-off of Newton OS which has been the same since the 90's>
  • Reply 25 of 304
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

I'm pretty sure that if Samsung had stuck with the F700 interface, Apple wouldn't be suing them

Right?!
  • Reply 26 of 304
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

This is funny since ios is a blatant rip-off of Palm OS which has been the same since the 90?s

Not so fast?

• Reply 27 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

DED is implying that Samsung copied Apple in under a month. So if Samsung could do that, Apple could copy LG.

(Note, I think the whole "Copy" claim in both cases is stupid)

1) He?s stating the claim the F700 demo predates the iPhone is patently false.

2) He?s showing a trend that Samsung has worked to copy the iPhone since its debut. As rhyde states, if Samsung had stuck with F700 UI there would be no lawsuit for copying a look and feel. It?s the TouchWiz that is a blatant copy to the point of looking like a bad Chinese knockoff.
  • Reply 28 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

It's a pretty sad time when you can spread lies that violate even the sequence of events in time and make it stick. And make no mistake?this will stick in the public mind. We already have the usual suspects on this thread to drive home the message. It doesn't matter what happened before what. Apple can steal either forwards or backwards in time!

This is a tried-and-true technique and it has never failed yet. Reagan inherited a $900 billion national debt, and he and Bush ran it up to $7 trillion. What's to blame? The "Carter Deficit." They still use this term every day. The global economic collapse that happened long before the 2008 election? The "Obama recession." If something reflects badly on someone you don't like, such niceties as causality or reason fly out the window. This meme will stick like glue, and if you try to point out the facts, you're nothing but a "brainwashed Apple fanboi!"

So you're implying that a company created a wholly new Phone AND OS in under a month? (what DED is implying).

This meme would've most likely faded away. But because DED posted it here like it was actual news, it won't. NONE of the major android blogs posted this. It was relegated to forums (something that a majority of consumers don't read, much less post on). But now it's on the front page of a Apple blog, one that, for whatever reason, countless other blogs repost stories from.

Did samsung tweak the phone after the announcement? Maybe. But to imply they they created it out of thin air in a MONTH is stupid.
  • Reply 29 of 304
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Funny. I think you spend more time on Android sites than you do apple. I really think deep down inside DED, you love android.

Funny, you seem to post comments on every DED article... often the first to do so. I really think deep down inside, you love DED.

You're also really annoying -- at least some of the other fandroids occasionally have something constructive to add to the discussion. Not you, though. I'm blocking you -- congrats, you're the first.
  • Reply 30 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) He’s stating the claim the F700 demo predates the iPhone is patently false.

2) He’s showing a trend that Samsung has worked to copy the iPhone since its debut. As rhyde states, if Samsung had stuck with F700 UI there would be no lawsuit for copying a look and feel. It’s the TouchWiz that is a blatant copy to the point of looking like a bad Chinese knockoff.

1. He's stating a claim made on FORUMS ONLINE. OMG. Is he going to debunk something from the weekly world news next?

And yes, he is claiming that Samsung copied the design for it from the iphone. Again, how can he expect a company to copy a phone design AND UI in under a month?

2. If you read my previous comment, you'd see that I agree apple has a case with the Touchwiz related lawsuits.

But Apple's also suing for the DESIGN. Which phones like the Prada show is something that other's were working on as well (for the record, I don't think Apple copied LG either, there are only so many ways you can make a touch screen centric device).

Three points of apple's lawsuit are:

-Rounded corners

-A border around the screen that is thicker at the top and bottom (but equal) and thinner on the sides (but the sides are equal)

-A aluminum band around the side of the phone.

Those three things are present here, a phone announced (and shown) in December of 2006:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_f500-1806.php (With the exception of the top and bottom bezel since this had a normal dialpad/music controls)

Again, there's only so many ways you can design a touchscreen specific phone.

Apple DOES have a case when it comes to Touchwiz (specifically icons)

The DO have a case for phones like the Vibrant for design

But they're also including the NexusS (Stock Android) Transform (almost stock android, with a keyboard) the Gem (LOL) for the look and feel.
  • Reply 31 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

Funny, you seem to post comments on every DED article... often the first to do so. I really think deep down inside, you love DED.

LOL I love it!
  • Reply 32 of 304
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    I'm curious, did TV manufacturers sue each other for all using a giant screen that displayed images with a power, channel and volume buttons along the bottom?

I mean, we're talking about a phone, how many frickin' forms factor can you possible make? Of Course they are going to start looking alike...
  • Reply 33 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Apple has been EXPOSED. Let's face the fact that technology is rife with unattributed cross-fertilization, stop suing each other, and build great products instead. Eh?

So you kinda read the parts you wanted to believe, and ignored the rest, huh? Yeah. Let's follow THIS guy.
  • Reply 34 of 304
    As noted by others above, the iPod touch had already been around awhile (the first gen. iPhone was virtually identical in form factor to it). The Samsung says 'Music Player' across the top - if that wasn't a total rip-off of the iPod, I don't know what is. Case closed. I would love it if someone made a compelling competing device that wasn't an Apple clone, but so far, no such luck.
  • Reply 35 of 304
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yep I remember the LG Prada. It was one of the first examples used to say that the iPhone was no big deal when it was first announced.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can't believe I hadn't seen a picture of the LG Prada before. The resemblance to the original iPhone is minimal at best. It's hard to even lend plausibility to the suggestion that Apple copied the Prada, I don't know if it's possible to go from seeing the Prada to displaying a moderately functional but finalized visual design "knockoff" in four months and then full production in nine months.

• Reply 36 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

Funny, I don't post on every article he does, just the ones where he is always wrong.

Uh oh, another idiot who uses the stawman argument that I like android just because I called out DED who made more of an issue of the samsung F700 than actual fandroids did.

Quote:

You're also really annoying -- at least some of the other fandroids occasionally have something constructive to add to the discussion. Not you, though. I'm blocking you -- congrats, you're the first.

I'm so glad I was your first.
  • Reply 37 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) He’s stating the claim the F700 demo predates the iPhone is patently false.

2) He’s showing a trend that Samsung has worked to copy the iPhone since its debut. As rhyde states, if Samsung had stuck with F700 UI there would be no lawsuit for copying a look and feel. It’s the TouchWiz that is a blatant copy to the point of looking like a bad Chinese knockoff.

Big deal on the UI. Apple patented the design of the phone. They still would have sued. That and because Steve Jobs is a whiny bitch.
  • Reply 38 of 304
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What about when other companies sue Apple. Should also chalk it up to cross-fertalization and move on with business? You have to understand that to keep a patent you have to protect it - otherwise you loose it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Apple has been EXPOSED. Let's face the fact that technology is rife with unattributed cross-fertilization, stop suing each other, and build great products instead. Eh?

• Reply 39 of 304
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

Let's see. Have we seen interfaces that had a grid of icons positioned above a horizontal row of commonly used ones before?

The desktop comes to mind. The only reason the phone looks different is the smaller screen size coupled with the optimal touch area limiting the number to about 4 across for the screen size most common on phones designed to be placed in pockets.

Where do we draw the line? Still, very good call on the fandroids being mis-informed.

yes, grids are obvious. and that's about as much similarity as there is between the "early" samsung phone and the iphone.

but there's a difference between grids of icons and grids of colored icons on a black background with white text under each icon and a series of white dots to indicate which of a series of horizontally distributed screens the user is on. it's the difference between "ooh that's a cool idea. we need to make a similar, competing product" and "ooh that's a cool idea. let's make one and put our logo on it! ...oh i guess we should move the white dots to the top or something, to make it look like a new idea."
  • Reply 40 of 304
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ObjectiveObserver View Post

As noted by others above, the iPod touch had already been around awhile (the first gen. iPhone was virtually identical in form factor to it). The Samsung says 'Music Player' across the top - if that wasn't a total rip-off of the iPod, I don't know what is. Case closed. I would love it if someone made a compelling competing device that wasn't an Apple clone, but so far, no such luck.

Yeah the ipod touch was built before the iPhone, right.... oh wait that's totally wrong it's the OTHER WAY AROUND.