Previous-gen Apple iPad, iPhone 3GS often outsell new Android devices

123457

Comments

  • robin huberrobin huber Posts: 2,687member
    Why don't we cut to the chase: "Android rules, iPhone sucks." There, I've said it for you. Now go away.
  • gatorguygatorguy Posts: 14,646member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The Nook can?t even do a residential road speed, much less highway speeds. it?s a kickstart moped that doesn?t require a license to drive and and is forced to stay in the bike line when traveling on the road with the big boys.



    This might be one of those devices that you shouldn't knock till you've tried one. My wife knows little to nothing about computers, even less about setting up an email account or navigating a touchscreen. In the first 10 minutes she had set up her existing email, which she's never really used, on her new Nook, and downloaded her first two magazines and one book. Another two minutes with the video help files on-board and she was pinch-zooming and quick-tapping all over the screen, no assistance from me needed (other than pointing out where the power key was and how the slide-to-unlock worked when she took it out of the box). And she even checked her email this morning, and told our son that Angry Bird's must be a guy thing. Yes, she at least gave it a try.



    For her I think it was a great choice. She was sold on it as soon as she found she could listen to Pandora while doing a crossword puzzle, one of her favorite pastimes. I'd make an educated guess that something like a Nook, for half the price of the least expensive iPad, is all a great number of potential buyers really need. Strictly as a reader it's probably as good or better a device than an iPad in the opinion of many users. Being able to browse the web and check email is a big bonus.



    But I agree it's no iPad.
  • jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

    Why don't we cut to the chase: "Android rules, iPhone sucks." There, I've said it for you. Now go away.



    I have a better idea...why dont you refrain from putting words in my mouth. kthx.



    I dont recall saying Apple sucks. The fact that I might think Android is better doesnt mean I think Apple sucks. I would take an iPhone over a RIM/WebOS/Symbian/WP7 phone any day.



    That being said, I have seen lots of "Apple rulez/Android sucks" posts on here, but I have not seen you criticizing them. Double standards?
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    I did get a few hours with a NookColor yesterday afternoon and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it worked as an e-reader AND as a tablet for someone without the need for tens-of-thousands of apps, or things like photo-editing or word processing. My daughter bought one for her mother-in-law. . . and one for her mother, a.k.a. my wife.



    The latest application update added more than I realized. For someone that only wants/needs to do some web-browsing, email and book or magazine reading, it's a very good alternative to the iPad IMO and at a very fair price for what it does.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The Nook Color makes for a good eReader but I?d say that once you use an iPad its viability as an internet tablet feels exceedingly compromised and unusable. It?s the HW that is lacking, like many Android-based devices only much worse, not the actual browser.



    PS: It?s funny how a year ago the iPad wasn?t a real tablet and had no viable utility but now even eReaders that are given the WebKit browsers are considered bona fide tablets by Android fans.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Both Ford Fiestas and BMW 328i's will get you from work to home. You do look classier in the BMW tho, and the audio is better.



    So yes, once the Nook added a web browser and some basic apps it does serve some of the needs of those that might have been looking for an iPad or Zoom-type tablet.



    Whether the Nook is really a tablet might be debatable. But if it works for the intended use I suppose it really doesn't matter to the end-user does it?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The Nook can?t even do a residential road speed, much less highway speeds. it?s a kickstart moped that doesn?t require a license to drive and and is forced to stay in the bike line when traveling on the road with the big boys. The Motorola Xoom is more akin to the Ford, poorly designed and cheaply constructed but it cans still do highway speeds even though it?s eating the dust of millions of iPad 2s.



    Mmmm....



    Maybe we're entering the post-tablet era....



    Where are the trucks? Who has the trucks?
  • mesomorphicmanmesomorphicman Posts: 549member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neilw View Post


    That's pretty standard operating procedure for that type of device at Costco. iPods were always sold the exact same way. All (or almost all) the slots are always full in my experience. Nothing personal on the Xoom in the particular instance.



    That being said, Costco displays of such items are not going to stimulate demand, unless they're being steeply discounted and people just buy one "because it's cheap." Apple has a huge advantage in the tablet game due to its retail stores.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post


    I was at Costco yesterday.

    There was a big end-cap display of Motorola XOOMs.

    As I walked up to the display I realized the entire thing was just flat sheets of cardboard that you would take to the checkout and then redeem to get your product. All the slots of "product" were full. None were removed to even make it appear as though there was some demand.



    The only actual device was behind a locked display and it was in some sort of demo mode.

    The demo mode simply said "BOOKS"

    That's all. It never changed.



    I walked away. Is that the strategy to sell these things?



    I was in a Costco last month and they had a fully functional Xoom out for people to use and play with. I got into a debate with the Verizon man and his Apple bashing, but I won't go into that here. Another Costco didn't have any Xoom's in plain view. Whn they sold em I've also seen iPods out at Costco for people to pick up in the box and walk through the store in their cart. So, I guess all Costco's are different, that's my point.
  • sennensennen Posts: 1,412member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post


    I have a better idea...why dont you refrain from putting words in my mouth. kthx.



    Why not? that's exactly what you've been doing throughout this thread.



    Quote:

    Double standards?



    The irony.
  • nhtnht Posts: 3,022member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The Nook Color makes for a good eReader but I?d say that once you use an iPad its viability as an internet tablet feels exceedingly compromised and unusable. It?s the HW that is lacking, like many Android-based devices only much worse, not the actual browser.



    Nook: Cortex A8, 800Mhz (safe OC'd to 1.1Ghz), 512MB RAM, PowerVR SGX530, 7" 1024x600 IPS Display. $250 MSRP, $200 on sales, $225 Refurb.



    iPad 1: Cortex A8, 1Ghz, 256MB RAM, PowerVR SGX535, 9.7" 1024x768 IPS Display $349 Refurb



    The Nook is spec'd quite nice and still priced competitively vs the iPad 1.



    Quote:

    PS: It?s funny how a year ago the iPad wasn?t a real tablet and had no viable utility but now even eReaders that are given the WebKit browsers are considered bona fide tablets by Android fans.



    IMHO the only thing that Nook Color is lacking as a tablet for me is Netflix. With Android 2.2 it's a nice consumption device. No 7" tablet will be as good a creative device as the iPad but for media consumption the screen isn't really THAT much smaller than a letterbox'd movie on the iPad.



    Today I'd get a EeePad Transformer if you could find one. Even if it is a bit clunky in comparison. Maybe the Nook Color 2 or whatever will be the Android tab to beat.
  • fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member
    Why surprised? There are more than 300+ kind of Android device, but may be only about 10% are barely comparable to 3GS, let alone iPhone4. The sales number showed it clearly. 90% crap Android phone serve as feature phone, and it should be excluded from smartphone category along with Symbian phone.
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

    That being said, I have seen lots of "Apple rulez/Android sucks" posts on here, but I have not seen you criticizing them. Double standards?



    No, it's called reality.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post


    Nook: Cortex A8, 800Mhz (safe OC'd to 1.1Ghz), 512MB RAM, PowerVR SGX530, 7" 1024x600 IPS Display. $250 MSRP, $200 on sales, $225 Refurb.



    iPad 1: Cortex A8, 1Ghz, 256MB RAM, PowerVR SGX535, 9.7" 1024x768 IPS Display $349 Refurb



    The Nook is spec'd quite nice and still priced competitively vs the iPad 1.



    IMHO the only thing that Nook Color is lacking as a tablet for me is Netflix. With Android 2.2 it's a nice consumption device. No 7" tablet will be as good a creative device as the iPad but for media consumption the screen isn't really THAT much smaller than a letterbox'd movie on the iPad.



    Today I'd get a EeePad Transformer if you could find one. Even if it is a bit clunky in comparison. Maybe the Nook Color 2 or whatever will be the Android tab to beat.



    1) Before the iPad 2 was announced I think a comparison to the iPad 1 was fine, but now Apple moved the goal posts and their kit hold their value well. If you want an original iPhone in perfect working order you will probably pay more than a new Nook Color (maybe 2) which is considerably faster.



    2) I can't agree with overclocking as a viable selling simply because it's possible. Even if it's not crashy at 1.1GHz I have to imagine that 8 hour battery would be adversely affected by a 37% higher clockspeed.



    3) I didn't know about the IPS panel. That is nice but makes me wonder why RiM and others were unable to under Apple's price point. I'll note an 8GB iPod Touch with a 1GB A4, 512MB RAM and Retina Display (same pixel count as Nook Color, according to my quick calculations) comes in at $30 below the Nook Color that came out soon after it. Still, that's not a bad price.



    4) I agree that the letterbox movie difference is negligible. Same pixel width in the landscape and what I'd estimate is under 0.80" different in physical width.



    5) Asus is doing it right with all IPs panels and a minimum of 10". I hope others follow suit and Honeycomb can stop being a mess. Hopefully that closed source code will do it some good in Google's lab.
  • robin huberrobin huber Posts: 2,687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post


    I have a better idea...why dont you refrain from putting words in my mouth.



    Actually, I put your words in my mouth.



    After reviewing your post record, I conclude that you are not a classic troll, but rather you are troll-ish. You are biased towards Android. No sin there. But it does cause me to question why you are here.
  • nhtnht Posts: 3,022member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    1) Before the iPad 2 was announced I think a comparison to the iPad 1 was fine, but now Apple moved the goal posts and their kit hold their value well.



    If you want to compare a $250 product with a $499 product you typically hope the $499 is twice as fast.



    Quote:

    2) I can't agree with overclocking as a viable selling simply because it's possible. Even if it's not crashy at 1.1GHz I have to imagine that 8 hour battery would be adversely affected by a 37% higher clockspeed.



    Eh...800 Mhz vs 1 Ghz is probably not that noticeable a difference if you want to remain completely stock which you typically don't.



    Double the RAM is probably worth the 200Mhz difference between the iPad 1 and the Nook.



    Quote:

    3) I didn't know about the IPS panel. That is nice but makes me wonder why RiM and others were unable to under Apple's price point. I'll note an 8GB iPod Touch with a 1GB A4, 512MB RAM and Retina Display (same pixel count as Nook Color, according to my quick calculations) comes in at $30 below the Nook Color that came out soon after it. Still, that's not a bad price.



    Is the iPod touch underpowered? No. Is the iPad 1 underpowered? No (well not CPU, RAM maybe) Is the Nook H/W "lacking" for a iPod Touch priced Android tablet? No.



    Better software drivers would be nice. More polished OS would be nice.



    Quote:

    4) I agree that the letterbox movie difference is negligible. Same pixel width in the landscape and what I'd estimate is under 0.80" different in physical width.



    So the Nook color is a comparably powered device to same generation Apple tablet for the same price as an iPod Touch. Dis it all you like but it's actually a reasonably priced iPad competitor with a real reason to buy over an iPad (price). Something few, if any, other Android tablets can boast.



    MAYBE the eeePad Transformer because of the nice keyboard integration. However for the same price, I'd still prefer the iPad 2.



    For the record, I don't own a Nook Color. I do own an iPad 1. I've been playing with the Nook Color off and on and I like the little device. Rooted it isn't a "moped" by any means and rooting a Nook Color is no harder than Jailbreaking an aTV. Another nicely priced device you can do stuff with not entirely intended by the manufacturer.



    I do wonder is B&N is actually making profit on the NC. On the other hand Apple is making money on the iPod Touch so they're probably making something.
  • bodypainterbodypainter Posts: 76member
    that goes to show what apples key to success against android would be: the price. but as long as they want to suck as much as possible out of the customer it won't happen.
  • suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,079member
    Bleech...
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post


    I spent the last 12 months hearing that the only reason Andoid is doing so well is all the cheap devices. Now we hear a lot of apple sales are old, cheap devices.



    Looks like that argument cant be used to justify why android OS had 50% for smartphone sales in Q1 2011, way above the iPhone.



    I guess it is to be expected that with all the Android hype there is no mention that the iPhone ALWAYS outsells the top ten (and then some) Android smartphones from multiple manufacturers COMBINED every month/quarter.
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post


    But apple aren't interested in marketshare or the "race to the bottom" (or so I'm told).

    Are we now saying the low end of the Market matters?



    The flip flopping by cheerleaders is amazing.



    Maybe you and the other uninformed trolls are saying that the low end market matters but Apple surely isn't.
  • urinal minturinal mint Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    3) I didn't know about the IPS panel. That is nice but makes me wonder why RiM and others were unable to under Apple's price point. I'll note an 8GB iPod Touch with a 1GB A4, 512MB RAM and Retina Display (same pixel count as Nook Color, according to my quick calculations) comes in at $30 below the Nook Color that came out soon after it. Still, that's not a bad price.



    Technically iPod touch 4G only has 256MB of RAM. Lots of people found this out the hard way trying to show off the Epic Citadel demo and having it crash. Plus, there's the fact that it's a quarter of the size, that may make it more or less appealing to each person, but it does mean the Nook needs to budget for that 7" IPS display.
  • jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

    No, it's called reality.



    So it is only reality when people agree with you. Got it.
  • jeffdenverjeffdenver Posts: 108member
    Quote:

    After reviewing your post record, I conclude that you are not a classic troll, but rather you are troll-ish. You are biased towards Android. No sin there. But it does cause me to question why you are here.



    Because only apple fanboys have a place on an Apple forum? Is that what you're trying to say? Or is it that anyone critical of Apple about anything must be a troll?



    I dont hate Apple. I've owned Apple products, I buy all my music on iTunes, and I have family members and friends that own Apple products even now.
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

    I dont hate Apple. I've owned Apple products, I buy all my music on iTunes, and I have family members and friends that own Apple products even now.



    Sorry, but you've already shown yourself to be dishonest, so you'll forgive us if we don't believe a word out of your mouth.





    I think JD is a classic example of why we don't like Android fanatics and astroturfers around here. There's just something creepy about them and their agenda of promoting Android with no care for honesty or integrity. Likely, this all comes from prolonged association with the culture of Google where honesty and and integrity are concepts trod upon all the time. From the blatantly disingenuous "Do no evil" lie, to their utter disregard for the law and the property of others exhibited in the Google Books scandal, Google has time and time again shown themselves to promote a culture devoid of any values but that of making money at the expense of others. Maybe they attract these people because of that, maybe people obsessed with The Google Way internalize the "outlaw" mentality, but, as it used to be with Microsoft, it's distasteful to see a company and its "champions" behave with such callous disregard for any moral principles.
Sign In or Register to comment.