Apple reportedly shifting Airport base stations to use iOS

245

Comments

  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post


    Sounds like a possible version of the iHub/iCenter/iHome/iCentral/iMesh I've been rambling on about (ad nauseum - sorry guys ) and adding ideas from others to for the past 9 months.



    I really do think that a home server "appliance" is required to make the cloud usable for most people, at least as a stop-gap measure until high-speed unlimited Internet is ubiquitous.



    The list I iHub/iHome now...



    Quote:
    • Small, cheap device (iOS maybe, SoC ARM almost certainly)

    • Built in memory but possible HDD for larger libraries

    • iTunes server for iDevices on the network. Movies, TV, music etc. Both purchased and personal libraries. This fits in with iOS 4.3 Home Sharing.

    • OTA iDevice synchronisation for multiple devices. Backups, OS upgrades, purchases etc. Basically you need to be able to have a house with iDevices and no PC.

    • Mobile Me backup/synchronization. Personal documents, video, music, pictures etc should be backed up to your Mobile Me account by the iHub.

    • Shared TimeMachine

    • Ability to offload background processing (I'm yet to convince myself "mainstream" users would understand this one) like app downloads and updates and uploads of large chunks of data (like long YouTube videos or photo albums)

    • Network TV re-broadcasting. Basically DVBLink.






    ... cha, cha, cha... olé!





    Seriously, Apple could offer a "starter" system, say for $99-$150, for a home with a few iPads and iPhones -- no pcs, and would backup all your content locally and to the cloud -- as well as software installs, updates, syncs. etc.



    Edit: Oh, Oh OH...if the starter system were hockey puck size (like ATV2) and [backup] battery operated... you could take it your favorite WiFi HotSpot & let it do its thing -- while you did yours!





    Then, expandable as necessary for home or business needs -- no reason that you couldn't have more than one of these "little boxes" on your network!
  • tulkastulkas Posts: 3,691member
    Maybe they'll finally do an airport admin utility app for iOS.
  • blecchblecch Posts: 34member
    I wonder if it will be possible to sync an iOS device against iCloud and/or an AirPort with attached hard drive/Time Machine/etc. rather than a Mac or PC?



    The iPad is definitely ready to break its bonds and become a stand-alone mobile computer.



    Apple's current approach of using iTunes (iTunes?) for app and data management and backup seems to have come about due to historical evolution (i.e. it made sense to use it for putting music on an iPod) rather than particular advantages of usability, power or convenience.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    An AEBS or TC stacked on Mac mini with the same design would pretty nice. Didn't the reviews say the wireless signal works great out of the round plastic bottom?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Seriously, Apple could offer a "starter" system, say for $99-$150, for a home with a few iPads and iPhones -- no pcs, and would backup all your content locally and to the cloud -- as well as software installs, updates, syncs. etc.



    Then, expandable as necessary for home or business needs -- no reason that you couldn't have more than one of these "boxes" on your network!



    If they go with such a cheap iDevice would they not make the AppleTV more palatable and give it double duty?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    Maybe they'll finally do an airport admin utility app for iOS.



    That's an idea I haven't heard before. I like it. If they do that then it would be clear that iOS-based iDevices are planned to be independent.
  • dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    They still need an Apple TV App Store!
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,469member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post


    Sounds like a possible version of the iHub/iCenter/iHome/iCentral/iMesh I've been rambling on about (ad nauseum - sorry guys ) and adding ideas from others to for the past 9 months.



    I really do think that a home server "appliance" is required to make the cloud usable for most people, at least as a stop-gap measure until high-speed unlimited Internet is ubiquitous.



    The list I iHub/iHome now...



    EDIT: This would also tie in with how I think a cloud music service should work as well. iCloud could potentially be similar to what others have created... but I don't think any company has really created a nice mesh of the private/public cloud.



    An Apple mesh network device would be fantastic.
  • asciiascii Posts: 5,363member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blecch View Post


    I wonder if it will be possible to sync an iOS device against iCloud and/or an AirPort with attached hard drive/Time Machine/etc. rather than a Mac or PC?



    The iPad is definitely ready to break its bonds and become a stand-alone mobile computer.





    I think you might be on to something here. They are finally breaking the chains between iOS devices and PC/Mac, replacing it with Cloud + router.



    Maybe it's as simple as, there is a copy of iTunes running on the router, remote controlled by an iOS app.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post


    They still need an Apple TV App Store!



    That'll come with the A5 Apple TV and 1080p video content in iTunes.
  • firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,499member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blecch View Post


    I wonder if it will be possible to sync an iOS device against iCloud and/or an AirPort with attached hard drive/Time Machine/etc. rather than a Mac or PC?



    Absolutely and without any doubt in my mind at all iDevices will sync to the cloud. It's the very definition of "post PC" to have all your stuff floating around in the cloud and any number of satellite devices accessing that data.



    I think a better description is "post PC-centric" as PC's will always be around, however instead of a central point to store and sync your data they become just another window into your digital life in the cloud.





    There is also the concept of the "public cloud" (e.g. Apple's iCloud servers) and the "private cloud" (e.g. your own server, accessible from the Internet).



    I think something like the "iHub" (I won't quote myself again, just read here ) would be ideal to facilitate the creation of a private cloud and/or act as a buffer between devices and the public cloud to minimize the effect of the generally crappy Internet speeds most people have.



    I don't see the "iHub" as being essential for the "post PC-centric" world, but it would make a world of difference to the user experience.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post


    I think a better description is "post PC-centric" as PC's will always be around, however instead of a central point to store and sync your data they become just another window into your digital life in the cloud.



    I like that term and will be using it.



    Quote:

    There is also the concept of the "public cloud" (e.g. Apple's iCloud servers) and the "private cloud" (e.g. your own server, accessible from the Internet).



    Public and private should be useful decribe local and remote access.



    Quote:

    I think something like the "iHub" (I won't quote myself again, just read here ) would be ideal to facilitate the creation of a private cloud and/or act as a buffer between devices and the public cloud to minimize the effect of the generally crappy Internet speeds most people have.



    I don't see the "iHub" as being essential for the "post PC-centric" world, but it would make a world of difference to the user experience.



    Not a fan of iHub, but also not a fan of iPod, iPad, iCloud and many other Apple names that isn't saying much.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post


    Sounds like a possible version of the... ...iHome...







    Ah, that old thing. Remember this? From the days of the G3/G4 iBook? Good times.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    image: http://www.dlounge.org/archives/images/ihome.jpg



    Ah, that old thing. Remember this? From the days of the G3/G4 iBook? Good times.



    That is not ringing any bells. Was that in production?
  • firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,499member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Seriously, Apple could offer a "starter" system, say for $99-$150, for a home with a few iPads and iPhones -- no pcs, and would backup all your content locally and to the cloud -- as well as software installs, updates, syncs. etc.



    Absolutely, but I think they could do it for even less. For starters Apple could almost give away one (or more) years subscription to the iCloud service on every purchase of an "iHub".



    Say, for example, you could purchase an iCloud subscription for $99 a year, or you could buy an "iHub" for $150 with an included 2 year iCloud subscription.



    It's going to cost Apple a lot of money, but the iHub/iCloud combination could be a loss leader that would tie people into the Apple platform.







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Then, expandable as necessary for home or business needs -- no reason that you couldn't have more than one of these "little boxes" on your network!



    I think having multiple boxes on the network is probably the best solution for the "mainstream" user.



    As a "power user" my mind goes toward HDD's, RAID, USB/Thunderbolt, SD/flash slots or stackable storage add-ons.



    However if I think like a "mainstream" user then if I run out of storage the simple solution is to buy a brand new device, plug it in, let it tell me when everything is copied over, then unplug the old device and throw it out.



    Hopefully in the two or so years it takes to run out of storage the "iHub 2" is released for the same price but with double or quadruple the storage as the "iHub 1".



    If Apple tie the iCloud subscription into the iHub purchase as I mentioned above it might simply be a case of the user buying a new "iHub" every two years so they can get the free iCloud subscription.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That is not ringing any bells. Was that in production?



    No, it's a fake 'leaked' image of an alleged iTunes media server that Apple was about to announce.



    Stylistically, you can date it to the G3/G4 iBook era because of the two-tone off-white plastics used. It looks VERY much like Apple products of that time and because of the number of pictures released and the build quality, many people thought it could be real.



    It wasn't. But we might yet get our iTunes media server in the form of the Time Capsule's successor...



    Ah, here we go. I knew there was a gallery. The lack of venting and horrible look of the ports in the back throws it off, but the amount of work undertaken for this fakery is to be commended. You just don't see this kind of attention to detail in the fake rumors anymore... Shame.



    http://dms.tecknohost.com/macrumors/i/ihome/
  • firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,499member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Not a fan of iHub, but also not a fan of iPod, iPad, iCloud and many other Apple names that proletariat seem go love.



    To be honest I not the biggest fan of that name either... but I do find it useful to describe the concept!



    I don't remember seeing Apple register any names, so if they do create this thing... maybe they will just keep calling it the "AirPort" or something like the iCloud Base Station.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post


    To be honest I not the biggest fan of that name either... but I do find it useful to describe the concept!



    I don't remember seeing Apple register any names, so if they do create this thing... maybe they will just keep calling it the "AirPort" or something like the iCloud Base Station.



    1) "proletariat seem go love." WTH is with my iPhone's corrective text?



    2) I think AirPort is out or the TC would have included that name. Plus, the Japanese market is important to Apple and they can't use that name there.
  • gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I think a single 3.5" HDD for a new Time Capsule will be bad, two would be okay, and three disks would be great for a Home Server.



    The standard 'rule' for backups lately seems to be "3 copies" - your own machine, a local backup, a cloud backup.



    I'd be happy with a copy on my laptop, a copy on the Time Capsule, and a copy in the cloud. And let my iPhone sync with any of the 3.



    Things get a little more complicated if my laptop only syncs a subset of all the stuff I have on my "main" Time Capsule - because I'd only have a single copy in my home. Perhaps 2 Time Capsules could mirror each other.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    What if, within the private confines of the home or the office -- these devices could ignore "regulations" and exchange data, amongst themselves, at much higher bandwidths?



    Say, copy a movie from a media server to an iPad in seconds, rather than minutes.



    Or backup that large FCP video (and all its attendant files) to the central TimeMachine Home Server (for later backup to the cloud)



    Definitely. I think the original article implied backup to the capsule quickly then let it trickle backup itself over time. A very good way to do things.



    I'd also be interested in something much more complicated... and that is let my laptop back up to my home time capsule, and then when I go to work if the Time Capsule is still backing up to the cloud let my laptop take some pressure off by sending a direct backup to the cloud - thus halving the work (assuming equivalent bandwidths).



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel Eran Dilger View Post


    A similar makeover for the portable AirPort Express could incorporate an HDMI port to provide similar audio and video streaming features.



    Isn't an Airport Express plus HDMI really just an AppleTV?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post


    Say, for example, you could purchase an iCloud subscription for $99 a year, or you could buy an "iHub" for $150 with an included 2 year iCloud subscription.



    For the iCloud to take off, the combination of not relying on the cloud (since it is also stored locally) and selling an iHub+iCloud combo is a great idea.



    It may also be worth selling the iPhone+iCloud subscription together too.
  • ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    You may be on to something here...



    <snip>.... then the content providers could concentrate on providing better content, more accessible content -- at better prices... <snip> ...



    Surely, Content providers would be more amenable to doing this for the curated iTunes - iOS ecosystem ... <snip>







    I didn't see a sarcasm sign. I can never see this happening... surely you jest. We're talking hollywood!!
  • gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post






    I didn't see a sarcasm sign. I can never see this happening... surely you jest. We're talking hollywood!!



    Yes. An industry where even making a copy of the trailer (including ads for TV shows) isn't permitted without contract and licensing. Surely they realise the ad should be free, and drive people to the thing being advertised?
Sign In or Register to comment.