Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 226
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Trolls start your trollin!

No, but seriously, nobody cares.

Oh please. iFanboys constantly laugh at Android users for loving notifications and widgets, but now that iOS has it, nobody cares?

That said. I applaud Apple for catching up. This is no small issue for usability. Once those pop-ups disappear you'll finally understand what we've been talking about.

Quote:

When people say others copy Apple, they DO point to little things like this A LOT, because they are mostly morons, but occasionally you'll see something that was inarguably Apple being copied for no reason, like Samsung's launcher on the galaxy s. They didn't need to emulate Apple so much, but they did.

I dislike Samsung precisely because their Android devices look to iPhone/iPad-ish.

But that said, Apple just blatantly ripped off lockscreen notifications from Samsung's Android Touchwiz UI.
  • Reply 22 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

They may be similar...but look at how much more elegant and professional Apple's version's are. Apple never claims to be always first...just the best.

I disagree. Since iOS has no desktop, they had to stick all the notifications in the drop-down bar.

Now this is one of opinion on whether this is better or not. Most Android users theme each desktop screen and organize widgets and app icons on their desktop accordingly. You won't have that choice in iOS. If you run lots of widgets this could be a mess. If you run a few, this could be better.

As for the way it looks, there's an entire industry in Android dedicated to better looking widgets. Apple's not going to win there.
  • Reply 23 of 226
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    When can we start signing up for the free @me.com accounts?
  • Reply 24 of 226
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Saw some guy fumbling with an Android phone today trying to impress his girlfriend. She patiently looked on for a few minutes. After the guy got a little stressed about not being able to do something, she whipped out her iPhone and the Android vanished rather quickly.
  • Reply 25 of 226
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Yep,

Sounds like the notification will be very similar to the way Android does it.....

And that is not a bad thing. The swipe down notification in Android works pretty well....
  • Reply 26 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Saw some guy fumbling with an Android phone today trying to impress his girlfriend. She patiently looked on for a few minutes. After the guy got a little stressed about not being able to do something, she whipped out her iPhone and the Android vanished rather quickly.

Yay for anecdotes! /s
  • Reply 27 of 226
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Year of the copycats indeed!

They copied BBM. They copied Android notifications. And the Samsung Touchwiz lockscreen notifications.

That said. Good for Apple. Notifications was definitely annoying on the iPhone. Not just intrusive. Annoying. Once you use an Android device, you can't go back to the in-your-face notifications. Ditto for having to sync with the Mac.

After all these changes, I think iOS will finally be a little friendlier. They've caught up to Android. And finally understood the potential of the Cloud. It could definitely convince me to switch. Will have to wait and see what hardware accompanies iOS5 in the Fall. I want NFC to be able to do mobile payments.

And yes, Samsung copies Apple's outer design and gets sued. Now Apple copies BBM, TouchWiz, and Android. Nice. I see how that works now. Funnily enough, I already see how someone said "its so much more elegant than Android's".

And as to trolls, as much as you would consider Android fans to be trolls, the person who mentioned it is a troll himself then, no? I own Aapl stock, so then, Im an Android troll who gets the best of both worlds eh? Stop this troll talk BS, dont generalize. I am now a full convert to Android, cause I love the ability to customize my phone, to have widgets, to flash a completely different ROM suited to my needs, to have a 4.3 inch screen, that believe me, makes it so much better, among other things. But I still am very interested in the new iphone or anything apple, just w.r.t technology, fully expecting apple to do something great. Everyone copies, this patent crap is just positioning, from all companies, not just Apple. Everyone is evil, all they want is your money only for themselves. So to the troll comment from someone else, get off your high horse buddy, if I am one, you are a bigger blinder one:-)

Now back to WWDC to see what else is being announced!
  • Reply 28 of 226
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

• Reply 29 of 226
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    I find it amusing-

Year of the copycats(Apple version, there is always room for a little backfire):

Notifications: Android 1.0, October 2008

Camera accessible from lockscreen: WP7, November 2010

PC Free: Android, February 2009

iMessage: Blackberry, 2007

Just saying.
  • Reply 30 of 226
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    a bit disappointed. Other than the split keyboard, not sure I need anything that was announced.

if Messages supported free SMS like Google Voice then it would rock.
  • Reply 31 of 226
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

iPhone 3GS support for iOS5?

this is good news for me because i'll be keeping my 3GS until June 2012 at which point an upgrade to iPhone 5 is ideal.
  • Reply 32 of 226
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I find it amusing-

Year of the copycats(Apple version, there is always room for a little backfire):

Just saying.

dont forget the volume button as shutter.. what a fiasco.
  • Reply 33 of 226
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    All the little things will really add up in this update. The greatly enhanced mail, camera and other apps are some of the things on my wish list. The funny thing here is that I really don't care about notifications that seem to have taken over this thread, it really isn't important how they are done for me as long as I get the message.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that no new hardware has been announced yet, grooving on the idea of a 15" AIR. Also the tumors about new Time Capsules was enticing. I have to wonder if we will have an announcement later this month.
  • Reply 34 of 226
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Post PC device is right - cutting the cord sealed the deal.
  • Reply 35 of 226
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    Any reason why Apple is holding off until Fall for this iOS-5 release. The least they could do is offer it now since they are not offering a new iPhone. I watched the live feed on AI and was excited, only to see the "oh wait" bomb at the end telling us it wouldn't be released until Fall. It seems ready to go, and to me I feel that Apple is holding off on the release just to create buzz when we deserve it now.

Sincerely,

One (of millions) Unhappy (and impatient), Loyal Customer
  • Reply 36 of 226
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

a bit disappointed. Other than the split keyboard, not sure I need anything that was announced.

if Messages supported free SMS like Google Voice then it would rock.

Mac OS wasn't huge but iOS5 is going to rock. There are many things that where announced that will benefit my usage of iOS. For example the improved Mail app will allow for even more usage form my iPad. The camera app update is fantastic and deals with several things I don't like about the current one.

All in all I see iOS5 making my devices even more useful.
  • Reply 37 of 226
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:

Trolls start your trollin!

No, but seriously, nobody cares. That's the name of the game, and if you think each company is going to have some out of this world different technique for basic tasks, you're wrong.

Excellent point. There's some things that there's just not a better way of handling. The biggest difference to me? Google won't sue anyone because it looks or works similar to Android.
  • Reply 38 of 226
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    I just want an app that will notify me when all the bitching, whining, complaining and trolling is close to an end at Apple Insider after an event like WWDC.
  • Reply 39 of 226
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I find it amusing-

Just saying.

You think that's amusing - try tallying up all the phones using multitouch all of a sudden.

lol, you can't.
  • Reply 40 of 226
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Oh please. iFanboys constantly laugh at Android users for loving notifications and widgets, but now that iOS has it, nobody cares?

That said. I applaud Apple for catching up. This is no small issue for usability. Once those pop-ups disappear you'll finally understand what we've been talking about.

I dislike Samsung precisely because their Android devices look to iPhone/iPad-ish.

But that said, Apple just blatantly ripped off lockscreen notifications from Samsung's Android Touchwiz UI.

Exactly. Hit the nail on the head. Now that iOS has it, iFanboys won't care. It's no longer something Android users are STUPID for liking, but rather something Apple revolutionized rofl

Seriously, look at all the people who said they didn't need copy and paste, then when it came out, they said it was revolutionary (even though it was exactly as MS announced.)

What I'm saying is the only people crying about who's copying who on little things like this are morons. I should have said "Nobody with half a brain cares"