Apple predicted to report record sales 8.5M iPads next week

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
With Apple's next quarterly earnings report just a week away, the company is expected by one analyst to have sold a record 8.5 million iPads, along with 17.53 million iPhones.

Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities on Tuesday offered investors a preview of next week's AAPL investor earnings report. He has become even more bullish on the stock, and increased his iPhone unit estimate from 15.85 million, while his iPad projection grew from 8.22 million.

"After our recent trip to Asia, we indicated that we felt our iPhone estimates for the June quarter were overly conservative, while our iPad projections were achievable and well above the Street," White wrote.

He acknowledged that recent investor concern about the economy in general could reflect a looming downturn. But he believes Apple is the best technology company for investors to own in an uncertain environment.

"With a dark cloud hanging over the market in recent days with renewed government debt concerns in the developed world and questions surrounding the health of the U.S. recovery, we believe Apple is a beacon of hope in an increasingly concerning world," he said.

"While many larger tech companies rely on more cyclical trends to grow sales, we believe Apple enjoys the tailwind of strong secular industry trends, hot new products and market share gain opportunities."

If Apple does achieve sales of 8.5 million iPads this quarter, it would be the best three-month span for the touchscreen tablet yet. The previous record came during the holiday quarter of 2010, when Apple sold 7.3 million units.

Signs that Apple is prepared to announce its first quarterly sales of 8-million-plus iPads emerged in early June, when the company revealed that overall iPad sales reached 25 million in just 14 months. Subtracting the total of 19.48 million iPads sold prior to the June quarter reveals that Apple had sold at least 5.52 million iPads up until that point.

White's projected sales of 17.53 million iPhones would fall short of the record set last quarter, when Apple sold 18.65 million handsets. However, the number would still more than double the 8.4 million iPhones the company sold in the same three-month span of 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    This company is a beast.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"While many larger tech companies rely on more cyclical trends to grow sales, we believe Apple enjoys the tailwind of strong secular industry trends, hot new products and market share gain opportunities."

So Apple could get an even stronger tailwind if the pope and the imams would get behind them?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

So Apple could get an even stronger tailwind if the pope and the imams would get behind them?

::crickets::
  • Reply 4 of 23
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Brian White's inaccuracy is almost as bad as legendary Gene Munster's misses.

AI should issue a disclaimer that professional analysts are fundamentally poor predictors of Apple's activities. If I recall correctly the amateur bloggers have beaten the Street ten or eleven quarters in a row.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Already happening!

The Pope Sends His First Tweet, From an iPad

http://mashable.com/2011/06/28/pope-tweet-ipad/
  • Reply 6 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Didn't some other recent report suggest over 11 million iPads were shipped this past quarter?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Didn't some other recent report suggest over 11 million iPads were shipped this past quarter?

I don't know. Why don't you try to find it instead of just spewing your normal FUD?

Funny that all the trolls who were claiming just over a year ago that no one would buy an iPad since it was just an oversized iPod Touch are all silent now. I wonder why.....
  • Reply 8 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Is anybody stupid enough to make investment decisions on these ramblings?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

I think that may have been a prediction for this quarter, ie Jun->Sep, not the quarter that's about to report, Mar->Jun. Given that best estimates were that only 8mil were made in Mar->Jun I think 11mil would have been a bit much even for an equity analyst
  • Reply 10 of 23
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

AI should issue a disclaimer that professional analysts are fundamentally poor predictors of Apple's activities. If I recall correctly the amateur bloggers have beaten the Street ten or eleven quarters in a row.

Here you go, Pick a Pundit !

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07/...o-9-5-million/

"Pad sales estimates for fiscal Q3 range from 6.0 to 9.5 million"
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Here you go, Pick a Pundit !

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07/...o-9-5-million/

"Pad sales estimates for fiscal Q3 range from 6.0 to 9.5 million"

It just seems it was a Digitimes report or something from one of the Asia tradepapers that had mentioned 11M at some point recently, but I could be mistaken since I can't find it again in a quick search.

Thanks for the link you gave to various pundit picks Piot.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't know. Why don't you try to find it instead of just spewing your normal FUD?

Ah, here's the FUD I may have been thinking of Junior.

Has to do with next quarter, not this one.

http://www.iphone-my.com/news/apple-...ipad-2s-month/
  • Reply 13 of 23
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

Already happening!

The Pope Sends His First Tweet, From an iPad

http://mashable.com/2011/06/28/pope-tweet-ipad/

You would think the Pope can "speak" to the masses by asking God to pass on messages. Or perhaps, God too will soon use Twitter?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Maybe I'm sorry I started this. I just was fishing for a translation of "tailwind of strong secular industry trends."
  • Reply 15 of 23
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Maybe I'm sorry I started this. I just was fishing for a translation of "tailwind of strong secular industry trends."

You shouldn't use Pope and tailwind in the same conversation.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Ah, here's the FUD I may have been thinking of Junior.

Has to do with next quarter, not this one.

http://www.iphone-my.com/news/apple-...ipad-2s-month/

So you were wrong. Period.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    I was wrong that I thought I had seen something about 11M iPads? You're such a kidder sometimes JR.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You shouldn't use Pope and tailwind in the same conversation.

Hah!

Meanwhile, maybe the secular industry is the one to be in.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny that all the trolls who were claiming just over a year ago that no one would buy an iPad since it was just an oversized iPod Touch are all silent now. I wonder why.....

Personally, I loved the "it's just a giant iPhone" criticism. My immediate reaction was to shrug and say, "Yeah, and the iPhone is @#$%& awesome. What's your point?"
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Personally, I loved the "it's just a giant iPhone" criticism. My immediate reaction was to shrug and say, "Yeah, and the iPhone is @#$%& awesome. What's your point?"

Kinda fun to browse back thru the initial AppleInsider article on the possibility of "big iPod touch". Some familiar names in there. . .

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=100933