Foxconn in talks to remain Apple's sole 'iPad 3' manufacturer in 2011 - rumor

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn is said to be working to persuade the company into signing a new deal that would make it the sole builder of a new iPad model, rumored to launch later this year.

Because of Foxconn's efforts, Pegatron Technology is now considered "unlikely" to share orders for Apple's next iPad, according to DigiTimes. Citing industry sources, the report said that Pegatron was the most likely contender to become Apple's second iPad manufacturing partner.

"However, Foxconn exerted its efforts to protect its orders and apparently has persuaded Apple to not shift some of its iPad orders to other contractors for the moment," the report said.

It was the same publication that reported on Monday that Apple was looking to add a second manufacturer for production of a new iPad model this fall. That report, along with Wednesday's latest update, referred to such a device as a so-called "iPad 3," but a separate source last week suggested Apple is more likely to release an "iPad 2 Plus" model that would expand the product lineup rather than replace the current iPad 2.

Wednesday's latest report said that Pegatron is still expected to receive orders for 10 million units of Apple's fifth-generation iPhone, expected to launch in the coming months. And the company is said to be eyeing potential orders for an anticipated fourth-generation iPad expected to debut in 2012.

As for this year's supposed new iPad model, one report last week characterized such a device as an "iPad HD, with a double screen resolution of 2048-by-1536 pixels. It said that the new model would be marketed as a "pro" device aimed at a higher end market.

While rumors of a new iPad model launching this year continue to persist, skepticism about those claims remains, as such a device has been seen by some as a possible fragmentation of Apple's iOS device family. A so-called "pro" iPad model arriving only a few months after the iPad 2 would shake up Apple's traditional decision to release one major iOS device upgrade per year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    It would be a genius move to release an even better iPad on the heels of iPad 2 success. It would solidify the Market as much as the iPods if not more..
  • Reply 2 of 34
    newtonrjnewtonrj Posts: 25member
    My initial thoughts after reading this were: Why Foxcon/HonHai? They can't scale, can't innovate and can't keep a secret.

But, then I started thinking about how much Foxcon has paved the sales floor way for APPL in China. This is the market, not ROW, we are faster at starting a trend, but China is the volume that every manufacturer wants to sell enmass.

Why do I care as long as new tech-toys continue to fall from the APPL tree?

-RJ
  • Reply 3 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    These iPad 3 rumours are most confusing.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It would be a genius move to release an even better iPad on the heels of iPad 2 success.

It would be an IDIOTIC move to release another iPad in the year of iPad 2... AND when you can't even FIND an iPad 2.

That's not the heels of success. That's the heels of " 'once upon a time, the greatest warrior on Earth stood here, and so we've erected a giant statue in his honor' and you're some little kid looking up at the statue".

No iPad 3 until next year. No new model until Apple can make enough of the current one to even satisfy its DEMAND.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It would be an IDIOTIC move to release another iPad in the year of iPad 2... AND when you can't even FIND an iPad 2.

That's not the heels of success. That's the heels of " 'once upon a time, the greatest warrior on Earth stood here, and so we've erected a giant statue in his honor' and you're some little kid looking up at the statue".

No iPad 3 until next year. No new model until Apple can make enough of the current one to even satisfy its DEMAND.

you are vehemently arguing something you are so wrong about.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:

you are vehemently arguing something you are so wrong about.

My points are completely correct. Whether Apple agrees with sanity is left to be seen, of course. On that you are right.

You can't (or refuse to) imagine the backlash at a new iPad this year. Trust in Apple would be shattered. It'd be like the discontinuation of the 4GB iPhone... times six. At least.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... As for this year's supposed new iPad model, one report last week characterized such a device as an "iPad HD, with a double screen resolution of 2048-by-1536 pixels. It said that the new model would be marketed as a "pro" device aimed at a higher end market.

While rumors of a new iPad model launching this year continue to persist, skepticism about those claims remains, as such a device has been seen by some as a possible fragmentation of Apple's iOS device family. A so-called "pro" iPad model arriving only a few months after the iPad 2 would shake up Apple's traditional decision to release one major iOS device upgrade per year.

iPad HD as an addition to the iPad line seems likely because its display is probably to expensive to be able to sell for the same price as the current iPad2.

Fragmentation is hardly an issue because resolution doubling is already something developers have to deal with on the iPhone. It would be a bigger problem if pixels got a different proportion.

J.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:

My points are completely correct. Whether Apple agrees with sanity is left to be seen, of course. On that you are right.

You can't (or refuse to) imagine the backlash at a new iPad this year. Trust in Apple would be shattered. It'd be like the discontinuation of the 4GB iPhone... times six. At least.

blah, blah blah...
  • Reply 9 of 34
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Yeh when the iPod colour was released 3 months after the iPod 4G my trust was shattered, so much so that I gave my practically new iPod 4G to my brother and bought a colour. Consumer electronics get better, and people expect it - Apple is unusual in only releasing a model a year, if they release two they'll still be releasing fewer than everybody else.

I do find it interesting that you're starting to move back from 'it won't happen' to 'it shouldn't happen'. I guess even you can tell the way that the wind is blowing.

Quote:

Found one!

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MjE0OTI0MDI
  • Reply 10 of 34
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    If Apple and Foxconn are only just now negotiating on the iPad 3, how is it going to be released this year, especially if it would have to launch before the holiday shopping season? I don't see how you go from negotiation to production that quickly. It's not just a matter of slapping a different display on the current iPad - Apple always makes little tweaks here and there for even "minor" hardware revisions.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

blah, blah blah...

I wonder if you truly think that this makes me inclined to EVER take any of your posts seriously.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I do find it interesting that you're starting to move back from 'it won't happen' to 'it shouldn't happen'. I guess even you can tell the way that the wind is blowing.

No, I just know crap when I see it.

How's that iPhone nano treating you? Your model should be, what, three years old at this point?

In stores, for heaven's sake.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

blah, blah blah...

Hey, word on your sig, I'm assuming you mean a non matte product such as http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Produ...ti-reflective/.

The reason that museum glass would be a potentially bad move is that it's not designed for scratch resistance - it's designed purely for optical properties. The anti-reflective coating looks REALLY bad when it gets scratched, and it's invariably softer than the base glass.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

In stores, for heaven's sake.

Yes but the problem in stores is nothing to do with supply difficulty, it's just an issue with holding stock for such a large number of similar devices. There were identical problems with the iPod, you would often have to order online if you really wanted a particular colour combined with a particular size.

Quote:

How's that iPhone nano treating you? Your model should be, what, three years old at this point?

What on earth are you raving on about?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

If Apple and Foxconn are only just now negotiating on the iPad 3, how is it going to be released this year, especially if it would have to launch before the holiday shopping season?

Who says they're only just now negotiating? All this article says is that Foxconn is trying to pursuade Apple to use them exclusively - there's nothing to say that they hadn't already gotten agreements in place for Foxconn to be an assembler of whichever model is under discussion.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Hey, word on your sig, I'm assuming you mean a non matte product such as http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Produ...ti-reflective/.

The reason that museum glass would be a potentially bad move is that it's not designed for scratch resistance - it's designed purely for optical properties. The anti-reflective coating looks REALLY bad when it gets scratched, and it's invariably softer than the base glass.

true but I am just making a point, more than promoting a certain type of glass panel.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

true but I am just making a point, more than promoting a certain type of glass panel.

Sure, but the same problem exists with all non-matte anti-reflection solutions. Oh and there's a slight colour imbalance too, because the anti-reflection effect is tuned, so it will dampen reflection of different wavelengths to different degrees - that's less of an issue though.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

It would be a genius move to release an even better iPad on the heels of iPad 2 success. It would solidify the Market as much as the iPods if not more..

There are no doubts they won't release "an even better ipad" just doubts about what that means and when it will happen.

Frankly I don't think there will be an ipad 2+/3 this year.

I think that the rumors of a second manufacturer are somewhat bogus just like I think that these rumors that Foxconn is trying to talk Apple out of it are bogus. The just reeks of tabloid CYA from claiming two folks are dating but they aren't and so now the tab has to say that they broke up etc.

I don't think anyone can talk Apple into anything. If they want to add another source they will, so long as the contract allows and you can bet they made sure it does. It might force them to wait to add that company until 2012 so for perhaps a month Foxconn might be the only ones building ipads for the upcoming spring 2012 launch but what Apple wants they tend to get. And if you think demand was nuts for the ipad 2. Wait til the ipad 3 with the new cameras, the less glossy display and better oleophobic coating, better battery, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    ...to continue to use Foxcomm/HonHai for now, in that they are part of the China ecosystem and are seen as viable and important contributors to the China economy. In fact this may give Apple some special privileges in China (unlikely but not out of the question despite the number of other companies also using FC/HH). This is purely unsubstantiated speculation - I haven't had a chance to dig into China's treatment of companies supporting their economy, but it is not unusual to so do. I could see Apple expanding use of manufactories in other regions (much like FC/HH is building in South America) to help build direct supply for each region - if demand makes that practical.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

I could see Apple expanding use of manufactories in other regions (much like FC/HH is building in South America) to help build direct supply for each region - if demand makes that practical.

The Brazilian plant is motivated by tariff considerations, rather than anything else. Adding Pegatron as a supplier is about scaling the bulk production faster and diversifying their supply chain a little to reduce risk.

Pegatron and Foxconn are both Taiwanese firms that do the bulk of their assembly in China - so it's not as if using both of them would unduly upset the Chinese.

I agree with you though that Apple seem to have an unusually good relationship with China, and it's not clear why.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    This time around in 2010 there were also rumors of iPad 2 released in 2010, and it was wrong.

One thing I know for sure is that Apple do things in advance, but then the analyst always think they need to release different version to stay competitive, even though they are beating everybody in all the categories that matter.

Most of these analysts are too dumb to learn from the past.