Court blocks Personal Audio from pursuing further damages from Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

When Apple files it's "making sure they protect their innovation" if someone else does it's trolling...

Apple is one of the worst patent trolls, but of course Apple can do nothing but magical good in fanboi world

Duh! And your point is
  • Reply 22 of 76
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doogley View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this site not a Mac/Apple enthusiast site? If you are not an Apple 'Fan' then why not 'troll' off to some other site where your opinions may be more valid?

I love the sweet smell of defeat in the morning! Come again and again Acnababi.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Could someone be so kind as to explain exactly what feature on my iPhone and iPad it is that Personal Audio thinks they invented? Thanks.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donarb View Post

The judge should have taken the $8 million back and bitch slapped 'em for being so greedy.

lol That would've been funny as hell
  • Reply 25 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: (Wrong thread. What am I, a newb?)
  • Reply 26 of 76
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Lord, don't tell me someone in the East Texas court has actually developed a brain!
  • Reply 27 of 76
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

When Apple files it's "making sure they protect their innovation" if someone else does it's trolling...

Apple is one of the worst patent trolls, but of course Apple can do nothing but magical good in fanboi world

Yes, because Apple actually produces the things they patent.

What don't you understand about that difference?
  • Reply 28 of 76
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Apple is one of the worst patent trolls...

...magical good in fanboi world

Apple is the most-sued tech company in the world:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...lawyer_up.html

Defenses against such attacks include:

* Buying patents first before someone else can use them against you. And if you have a patent, you must defend it.

* Owning patents that give you leverage against those who sue you: match their suit with your own, so that both parties can settle and cross-license.

* Owning patents that give you an advantage over the competition, to help your products compensate for patents they simply won?t license to you.

* Fighting back with every legal means you have, to discourage a growing flood of suits against you.

The game exists, sadly, and Apple didn?t create it. Can Apple choose not to play? No, they can?t.

Do we see Apple extorting money using patents that are irrelevant to Apple?s business? I?ve seen no such evidence. In which case, Apple is not a "patent troll." Just the biggest victim of patent suits (from trolls and competitors alike).
  • Reply 29 of 76
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doogley View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this site not a Mac/Apple enthusiast site? If you are not an Apple 'Fan' then why not 'troll' off to some other site where your opinions may be more valid?

Last I saw this was not applefansonly.com

Are we supposed to pledge allegiance to apple just to have an interest or opinion? If so, I must have missed that in the sign up.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Quote:

The complaint was filed in East Texas, which is known for making quick and favorable decisions for patent holders.

Isn't the law the law? Oh yea, it's the system...
  • Reply 31 of 76
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Could someone be so kind as to explain exactly what feature on my iPhone and iPad it is that Personal Audio thinks they invented? Thanks.

Their ability to use playlists essentially, the PA patent concerned described a music player capable of receiving and playing a playlist.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    vanaxvanax Posts: 5member
    A "patent troll" is a company which often has "...no intention to manufacture or market the patented invention" in question.

Because Apple does not fit this definition, Apple is likely no patent troll.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:

But of course Apple can do nothing but evil in hater world.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Lord, don't tell me someone in the East Texas court has actually developed a brain!

Yes, but unfortunately they are required to share it with everyone else in that particular district.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Are we supposed to pledge allegiance to apple just to have an interest or opinion? If so, I must have missed that in the sign up.

Resistance is futile. See the light. Be one with us. Let the magic fill your soul. A P P L E A P P L E A P P L E...
  • Reply 36 of 76
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Well next time read what you are agreeing to before signing up.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But of course Apple can do nothing but evil in hater world.

Let him hate. There will always be bitter, little people like him. But it doesn't hurt people who use and like Apple products, of which there are more every day. Maybe one day, Apple will actually fall. Until then, I'm not worried about it.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    jhende7jhende7 Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Wow, you sir are a tool. Looks like you don't even know the definition of patent troll. The difference between Apple and "Patent Trolls" is that Apple actually uses it's IP to create tangible products while the trolls write down an idea on paper, and sue anybody that tries to use the idea.

Good try though, fool.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Personal Audio got really greedy.

They wanted more Apple pie.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

Apple and NPEs can't be compared reasonably. Apple at least does what the system was originally intended to do in their suits: protect PRODUCTS they invent from being copied by a competitor. I am not aware of any cases in the last 10 years where they have sued a company that is not directly competing with them. (The mechanism of the suit is just as sloppy as the NPE trolls though.)