Apple's fifth-gen iPhone could be 'bigger upgrade than expected'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sources in Apple's overseas supply chain have reportedly indicated that the company's forthcoming fifth-generation iPhone could be a more significant upgrade than previous rumors have suggested, sporting a larger display and thinner design.

Analyst Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee said he has consistently received one question from investors regarding the upcoming iPhone: Why would a customer consider buying a so-called "iPhone 5" without 4G if Apple plans to release a 4G long-term evolution handset in the future?

"Well, it turns out that we are picking up that this interim iPhone refresh in the Fall timeframe could be a bigger upgrade than we expected," Wu wrote. "We believe this keeps the iPhone fresh and competitive and helps maintain its leadership position."

He said that supply chain sources have indicated that the new iPhone will feature a slightly larger display than the current 3.5-inch screen found on the iPhone 4. The fifth-generation iPhone is also expected to feature the same dual-core A5 processor already found in the iPad 2.

In addition, those same sources reportedly said that the new iPhone will feature a similar form factor and size to the iPhone 4, but will sport a thinner bezel.

"We believe this makes sense to improve the iPhone experience without making it too bulky as we have seen with models from competitors," he wrote.

While Wu expects the new iPhone to have a bigger screen and thinner profile, checks within the supply chain have said that the fifth-generation iPhone is not expected to have 4G-LTE high-speed wireless data connectivity. The new technology still has issues with battery life and network coverage, problems that Wu believes Apple will fix at some point in the future.

This week, one report claimed that Apple's next-generation iPhone will become available in October, a date even later than expected by some. Apple typically releases a new iPhone in the June-July timeframe, but this year is instead holding off until the fall.

In recent days, cases claiming to show the new design of Apple's fifth-generation iPhone have been appearing in large numbers in China. The cases show curved sides, suggesting the new iPhone will sport a different frame from the current iPhone 4.

Rumors of an iPhone with a larger screen are not new, with a number of reports over the last year claiming that Apple's next handset will feature an edge-to-edge display that would allow the iPhone to retain the same size. Such reports stand in contrast to other claims that the next iPhone will have a design largely similar to the current iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    kfury77kfury77 Posts: 47member
    I'd really like to see a slightly bigger screen (but with the same screen resolution).
  • Reply 2 of 108
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I'll be very disappointed if the screen is only a tiny bit bigger. 4" should be the absolute minimum, but I'd sooner see 4.3 or even 4.5" on offer.
  • Reply 3 of 108
    No way it'll be bigger than 4"... I'd be happy with 3.8 - 4 personally. I'll be disappointed if it's not bigger than the current screen.
  • Reply 4 of 108
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    The next iPhone will need to be good. I tried my nephew's new Samsung Galaxy S2 this past weekend and it is a very nice phone. While the Galaxy phone is quite good, Samsung continues to "borrow" an awful lot from iOS.

I'm still happy with my iPhone 4, but a slightly larger, thinner and lighter version with a faster processor would be nice.
  • Reply 5 of 108
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    It would be funny if Apple'll also release iPhone 5 Pro with LTE.
  • Reply 6 of 108
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'll be very disappointed if the screen is only a tiny bit bigger. 4" should be the absolute minimum, but I'd sooner see 4.3 or even 4.5" on offer.

4" is enough for a phone. Bigger than that and it's just too big.
  • Reply 7 of 108
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Wu expects the new iPhone to have a bigger screen and thinner profile, checks within the supply chain have said that the fifth-generation iPhone is not expected to have 4G-LTE high-speed wireless data connectivity. The new technology still has issues with battery life and network coverage, problems that Wu believes Apple will fix at some point in the future.

Is there anything Apple can't fix? Glad to see LTE is also on their list.
  • Reply 8 of 108
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member
    I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 4, but plan on jumping from AT&T to Verizon with the iPhone 5.

It wouldn't be surprising for Apple to host its annual September event to announce the iPhone 5 and presumably new iPods with a street date in late September or early October.

Although a bigger screen and faster processor are certainly welcome in the new iPhone, I would really like to see a bump in capacity to 64GB. The iPhone 4 also sports an excellent camera and I hope that Apple makes it even better.
  • Reply 9 of 108
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    until someone explains to me how Apple can enlarge the screen without reducing pixel density (ie, Retina Display) then I am eternally skeptical about a larger iPhone. There is zero chance Apple will ask developers to go back and fix their apps to run on a resolution other than 960x640.
  • Reply 10 of 108
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post

I would really like to see a bump in capacity to 64GB. The iPhone 4 also sports an excellent camera and I hope that Apple makes it even better.

I'd be surprised to see that happen. With iCloud coming, there is increasingly less need for local storage. They'd rather use that internal space for a bigger battery. I see reducing flash memory as a key trade-off for Apple to enter lower price-point markets (ie, 8GB 3GS being sold off contract, etc). iCloud mitigates this tradeoff.
  • Reply 11 of 108
    Sha Wu is an idiot. The answer to the question:

"Why woud a customer consider buying a so-called "iPhone 5" without 4G if Apple plans to release a 4G long-term evolution handset in the future?

... is so *not* ... "because it has a slightly bigger screen."
  • Reply 12 of 108
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    I'll be majorly disappointed if it doesn't have a 4" screen. I see my friends with their 4" Androids, and I'm jealous.

4G wireless would be nice to have, but I would probably leave it off most of the time to conserve battery life.

NFC ability would be nice to do credit card transactions with the iPhone.

I'm torn on whether to jump ship to Verizon on the iPhone 5. My office is a black hole as far as wireless, but they are setting up a Verizon repeater. But then I'd lose my unlimited data plan with AT&T. I don't think I've ever gone over 2 GB in a month, but you never know.

Quote:

With iCloud coming, there is increasingly less need for local storage.

Problem is, iCloud doesn't stream multimedia yet, the main reason why you need so much storage..
  • Reply 13 of 108
    Tried to order a TomTom carkit for iPhone last week.

It was sold out and I was told by a TomTom employee no new stock would come 'because a new one is on the way'.

Of course, this could just mean a new and improved version of the carkit is coming...

With all the other speculations going around, somehow I don't think so.
  • Reply 14 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

I'll be majorly disappointed if it doesn't have a 4" screen. I see my friends with their 4" Androids, and I'm jealous...

Given the fact that this sentiment seems to be basically the only reason for making the screen bigger, it's also the main reason why it probably won't happen. When was the last time Apple changed a product of theirs (a flagship product in fact), to match the competition or because "everyone is doing (X) now." Oh that's right ... never!

Unless there is a valid, *design-based* reason for changing the screen size, I don't see Apple doing it, (and I've yet to hear anyone elucidate that reason).
  • Reply 15 of 108
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

There is zero chance Apple will ask developers to go back and fix their apps to run on a resolution other than 960x640.

No doubt. I don't agree that pixel density is the same roadblock that resolution is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

until someone explains to me how Apple can enlarge the screen without reducing pixel density (ie, Retina Display) then I am eternally skeptical about a larger iPhone.

Hopefully in choosing between (1) a concrete improvement in a product and (2) a catchy marketing term, they choose (1). The desire to hold on to a catchy phrase should never trump the product itself. But we'll see. I think people are correct that 4.5" starts getting bulky. I might like 4" though.
  • Reply 16 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Given the fact that this sentiment seems to be basically the only reason for making the screen bigger, it's also the main reason why it probably won't happen. When was the last time Apple changed a product of theirs (a flagship product in fact), to match the competition or because "everyone is doing (X) now." Oh that's right ... never!

Unless there is a valid, *design-based* reason for changing the screen size, I don't see Apple doing it, (and I've yet to hear anyone elucidate that reason).

To give someone a reason to upgrade.

Otherwise, what's the point? My iPhone 4 is plenty fast enough for my tastes, so if all they do is slap a better CPU in it then I'll just skip this generation and wait for the 6.
  • Reply 17 of 108
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sources in Apple's overseas supply chain have reportedly indicated that the company's forthcoming fifth-generation iPhone could be a more significant upgrade than previous rumors have suggested, sporting a larger display and thinner design.

Analyst Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee said he has consistently received one question from investors regarding the upcoming iPhone: Why would a customer consider buying a so-called "iPhone 5" without 4G if Apple plans to release a 4G long-term evolution handset in the future?

"Well, it turns out that we are picking up that this interim iPhone refresh in the Fall timeframe could be a bigger upgrade than we expected," Wu wrote. "We believe this keeps the iPhone fresh and competitive and helps maintain its leadership position."

He said that supply chain sources have indicated that the new iPhone will feature a slightly larger display than the current 3.5-inch screen found on the iPhone 4. The fifth-generation iPhone is also expected to feature the same dual-core A5 processor already found in the iPad 2.

In addition, those same sources reportedly said that the new iPhone will feature a similar form factor and size to the iPhone 4, but will sport a thinner bezel.

"We believe this makes sense to improve the iPhone experience without making it too bulky as we have seen with models from competitors," he wrote.

This week, one report claimed that Apple's next-generation iPhone will become available in October, a date even later than expected by some. Apple typically releases a new iPhone in the June-July timeframe, but this year is instead holding off until the fall.

In recent days, cases claiming to show the new design of Apple's fifth-generation iPhone have been appearing in large numbers in China. The cases show curved sides, suggesting the new iPhone will sport a different frame from the current iPhone 4.

Rumors of an iPhone with a larger screen are not new, with a number of reports over the last year claiming that Apple's next handset will feature an edge-to-edge display that would allow the iPhone to retain the same size. Such reports stand in contrast to other claims that the next iPhone will have a design largely similar to the current iPhone 4.

Woo - hoo, a bigger screen. I got to trash my yr old and go with this! When they come up with a world phone that I can get at Sprint, give me a call.
  • Reply 18 of 108
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

I'll be majorly disappointed if it doesn't have a 4" screen. I see my friends with their 4" Androids, and I'm jealous.

Quote:

I think that's a flawed argument. cajun is saying he finds 4" screens appealing. And Apple actually does have a long and gloried history of changing products because users liked something a different way. There wasn't, after all, "a valid, *design-based* reason" to put video on a 2" iPod screen. Quite the opposite in fact. But Apple was pragmatic about it, saw that people wanted it, and reversed themselves.

Sometimes you do things because it's a good idea. 4" may end up being more the optimum size for the screen. When they designed the original iPhone, they were basically breaking an entirely new trail. Nobody had a design or a form factor like it. I wouldn't see anything wrong in Apple re-evaluating the situation and saying that they were going with a 4" screen.

Quote:

Seems to me you heard one. Sometimes the whole design-based reason for something like 4" screen is "Wow, I saw one and it sure looked nice." And to be honest, I think that's a better reason than "If we take it to this size, people will quibble about our marketing terms."
  • Reply 19 of 108
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

It would be funny if Apple'll also release iPhone 5 Pro with LTE.

That would be hilarious. But it won't happen.
  • Reply 20 of 108
    They say that to be a retina display it has to be over 300 ppi, so that would mean a maximum of 3.8" screen, no?

(considering the same resolution as iPhone 4)