Apple releases new developer builds of Mac OS X Lion, iCloud

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In its ongoing work to prepare developers for the autumn release of iCloud, Apple has issued new updates of Mac OS X Lion and the iCloud package that provides support for the company's online features to Macs.

Today's release of Mac OS X Lion doesn't increment the 10.7.2 version number developers have been using, but does bump the build number from 11C26 to 11C37. In Apple's build system, the first number relates to the reference release of Mac OS X (11 means Lion), while the letter refers to the minor release (C = x.2), while the final number refers to builds within that release.

Apple creates a series of internal builds that are never released publicly, explaining the jump from 26 to 37 in its developer releases. The new incremental advancement is centered around iCloud, which has become the company's focus under both Mac OS X and iOS 5.

Apple has been packaging iCloud functionality as a separate installer for Lion, which itself only lays the groundwork for iCloud services. Along with the new build of Lion comes a new revision of this "iCloud for OS X Lion" package, which must be installed on top of the new Lion build.

Earlier this week, Apple issued an update to the developer build of Safari 5.1, which is identified as 5.1.1. It too is focused on resolving any issues with iCloud sync of Bookmarks and Reading List items.

A separate iPhoto 9.2 beta 2 has also been released this month to scout out any potential issues with iCloud's Photo Stream, which automatically pushes new photos captured by mobile devices or imported from cameras to machines registered with iCloud into a pool that is then kept up to date with iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Mac photo libraries, or copied to the photos directory of a PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I'm hoping the fact that there's so much talk of 10.7.2 means 10.7.1 will roll out pretty soon. The sooner, the better.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I'm hoping the fact that there's so much talk of 10.7.2 means 10.7.1 will roll out pretty soon. The sooner, the better.

Yeah, that's my hope as some of the Lion features are a bit too sensitive.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Features will not change
  • Reply 4 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

Features will not change

And I have no idea what "sensitive" is supposed to mean, anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And I have no idea what "sensitive" is supposed to mean, anyway.

Just make sure you don't make fun of them.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Are you trying to say your Mac doesn't respond well to the way you treat it?

All kidding aside yes there are a few bugs and glitches here and there. At the rate we are going though they might as well wrap it all up into the iCloud update. Assuming iCloud comes before then end of the month having a separate bug fix release just might not make sense.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    10.7.2 is the Product Marketing Version. It's for the consumers.

The 11 is the Darwin Kernel version. The letter is a non-public "feature set" or "build train" and is not in any way tied to the dot release of the product marketing version.

Why oh why do this people start to define these things when they do not know what they are talking about. There will be stupid people believing that now.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    looplessloopless Posts: 325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Amen, brother. Thousands of mid-2011 iMac 21/27 like me users are getting sick of a complete system freeze requiring a power-cycle nearly every time they view a web video (not just flash) in Lion.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ontheinside View Post

10.7.2 is the Product Marketing Version. It's for the consumers.

The 11 is the Darwin Kernel version. The letter is a non-public "feature set" or "build train" and is not in any way tied to the dot release of the product marketing version.

Why oh why do this people start to define these things when they do not know what they are talking about. There will be stupid people believing that now.

What do you think people will believe that's false? I can't see what has been gotten wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    The article says the letter refers to the minor release .2. This is not accurate.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ontheinside View Post

The article says the letter refers to the minor release .2. This is not accurate.

Ahh I see.

Personally I'm wondering why we aren't seeing any developer builds of 10.7.1.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Ahh I see.

Maybe because Apple thinks that 10.7 is perfect as it is...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Ahh I see.

It's been practice in the past for the .1 release to be largely bug fixes and limited or no API changes. So it's not necessary for developers to gain early access to it until Apple is changing something major.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loopless View Post

Amen, brother. Thousands of mid-2011 iMac 21/27 like me users are getting sick of a complete system freeze requiring a power-cycle nearly every time they view a web video (not just flash) in Lion.

This happens in Snow Leopard too. It's a Safari 5.1 thing. Nasty part about it is you don't even need to play the video all the time.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Maybe because Apple thinks that 10.7 is perfect as it is...

What fresh nonsense is this? Why would anyone sentient say this sentence when the article is about 10.7.2; instantaneously proving it incorrect before it's even said?