Google CEO: 'Anticompetitive' Apple, Microsoft forced Motorola deal

Comments

• Reply 141 of 171
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Google doesn't have the money to win the auctions. End of story.

They bought a large portion of archaic IP with the hopes of the 7,500 filed patents pending will venture them protection.

So wait, you think Google didn't have the money to win the Nortel auction, but it does have the money to spend three times as much on Moto? If it can afford 12 billion for Moto why didn't it bid 5 billion for Nortel? Only plausible reason is because it believes that Moto is worth 12 billion and that Nortel wasn't worth 5 billion.

Saying that Google didn't have the money to bid higher on Nortel immediately after they just bid far more for another firm is kinda
  • Reply 142 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

interesting, but content is king and who sits on the board of disney?... let's see where the "content" licensing goes.

Agreed, Content is King.

But the Apple - Disney connection hasn't delivered much, if anything, beyond ABC and Disney.

As I read it, Comcast has some existing deals for pretty powerful content that it can deliver to iPads through their STBs.

I think there as a vast, untapped market for a personal TV within the home -- with a Tablet as the delivery vehicle.

I mean that each family member, of TV-viewing age, has his own Tablet.

In our household of 2 adults and 3 children we have 6 iPads -- only 3 have cell radios.
  • Reply 143 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Google doesn't have the money to win the auctions. End of story.

They bought a large portion of archaic IP with the hopes of the 7,500 filed patents pending will venture them protection.

What about a consortium of say, Google, Comcast and Sony or Sammy? (I don't know how much cash is needed or available)....

A Comcast/Google hookup would bother me because of the way they to jerk around the FCC.

Do you think that Apple has been hoarding cash for the auctions?
  • Reply 144 of 171
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Pretty sure this isn't actually true. They didn't buy *all* of Motorola, just the mobile stuff.

It's true they didn't buy Motorola Solutions. But that's a separate company now. They did buy all of Motorola Mobility, which I believe also sells set top boxes along with phones. So yeah, Google now has two feet in the door of the TV industry, one more entrenched than the other.
  • Reply 145 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post

Wasn't the StarTAC introduced more like 13-15 years ago?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

30 years ago? Really? Wikipedia says "StarTAC was released on 3 January 1996".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

He of course means the DynaTAC, from 1983

Methinks the confusion is in Appleinsider's summary of Page's blog, not in Page's blog (or mind). If you read his blog, he did not state that the StarTac was released 30 years ago. He simply wrote that he loved his StarTac and he praised Motorola's innovation in the mobile industry, starting with the first phone 30 years ago. AI lumped the two sentiments together, hence giving the impression Page mixed up the two products.
  • Reply 146 of 171
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Well, Apple did get into the phone business too after never being in the space.

But then again, they already did HARDWARE, so it was a more natural progression.

Apple's primary business is making great consumer devices. Google's primary business is invading our lives wherever they can by offering "free services" (that often happens to include IP that they don't own). Then selling our souls to their real customers, the advertisers.

Google looks at all of us as food for their advertisers and nothing more. They'll continue to support the Android platform tooth and nail. Google wants to keep their greasy fingers in as many pies as possible more than selling hardware. They'd kill Moto Mobility off rather than alienate the other handset makers.

I used to really like Google as a company, but they have grown into one ugly, evil beast.
  • Reply 147 of 171
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Since Google had such suckcess with its G1 phone, do they really think they can rebrand a Google phone that the carriers will want to carry? Do they really want to compete with HTC, MS-Nokia, HP, and Apple on handset profits? Plus, they don't have a retail store strategy, so they must be buying Moto to get the patents after all.
  • Reply 148 of 171
    Interesting that some folks here believe the Motorola IP portfolio is archaic and confers no advantage to Google.

So, once again, people who have time to frequent this forum think of themselves as smarter and more knowledgeable than Google's engineers, managers and lawyers. How many multi-billion startups have you all created? What have you built that is equivalent to Google search, Android, Gmail, etc.?

How many thousands of the Motorola patents have you all analyzed thoroughly to come to such an insightful conclusion?

Fascinating.
  • Reply 149 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Since Google had such suckcess with its G1 phone, do they really think they can rebrand a Google phone that the carriers will want to carry? Do they really want to compete with HTC, MS-Nokia, HP, and Apple on handset profits? Plus, they don't have a retail store strategy, so they must be buying Moto to get the patents after all.

this isn't going to happen.

Its not in Google's interest to prop up Motorola at the expense of Google's existing partnerships with HTC, Samsung, LG, etc.

It will be business as usual, except now it will be MUCH harder to sue any Android handset maker.

I think its a two edged sword. Buying those patents, as well as Google getting into the Set Top Box business from Motorola.
  • Reply 150 of 171
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Interesting that some folks here believe the Motorola IP portfolio is archaic and confers no advantage to Google.

So, once again, people who have time to frequent this forum think of themselves as smarter and more knowledgeable than Google's engineers, managers and lawyers. How many multi-billion startups have you all created? What have you built that is equivalent to Google search, Android, Gmail, etc.?

How many thousands of the Motorola patents have you all analyzed thoroughly to come to such an insightful conclusion?

Fascinating.

I've just worked for several and I know from inside Apple myself what we thought of Moto's assets.
  • Reply 151 of 171
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Motorola mobility is the mobile handset division which was spun off by Motorola on the 4th of January this year and does not include any of their other consumer devices or cable modems etc.
  • Reply 152 of 171
    Quote:

Fascinating.

Yeah... It's not like Google, Apple, RIM, MS, Motorola, Sony, Samsung, etc.... have ever built or acquired products -- only abandon them later...

In Apple's case, some recent decisions for the products: Shake, Color, Final Cut Server, Final Cut Pro, XServe...
  • Reply 153 of 171
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Legally, they can't. That would either imply Apple does not infringe, or they're giving Apple a free license to use the patents in question which effectively nullifies them.

No matter what way Google's PR may spin it, Google can't just take the defence, they are legally required to seek out and litigate against entities who are violating on their patents.

Quote:

Fascinating.

2, yes, and all of them. How many consumer product companies has Larry run?

To be clear. I don't think all of Motorola's portfolio is archaic. I think there are a lot of valid recent patents in it. I also think most of them are already licensed or in litigation by Apple and MS. This was a defense move. A defensive move to protect Android manufacuters from an increasingly desperate Motorola. I think it is a good move by Google.

It will be interesting to see if they can turn MMI around. I do not believe it has ever made a profit. Hopefully google will find some good executive talent to run the company once they take over. The current team seems pretty worthless.
  • Reply 154 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Motorola mobility is the mobile handset division which was spun off by Motorola on the 4th of January this year and does not include any of their other consumer devices or cable modems etc.

Got a link -- especially for the TV STBs?
  • Reply 155 of 171
    Quote:

how are you sure about this? valid source would be nice.
  • Reply 156 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

Incorrect.

Their company overview states:

Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. provides technologies, products, and services for mobile and wire line digital communication, information, and entertainment applications. The company’s mobile devices portfolio includes an array of converged devices, including smartphones based on the Android operating system, as well as tablets and Bluetooth accessories. Its home portfolio comprises video, voice, and data solutions for service providers’ networks to the home, in the home, and beyond the home. The company also offers converged media experiences, such as Motorola Medios software suite that enables service providers to deliver content on devices. Motorola Mobility sells its products principally in the United States, China, Brazil, and Singapore. The company is based in Libertyville, Illinois. As of January 04, 2011, Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) operates independently of Motorola Solutions, Inc.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...apId=129623445
  • Reply 157 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Incorrect.

Their company overview states:

Motorola Mobility, Inc. provides technologies, products, and services for mobile and wire line digital communication, information, and entertainment applications. Its integrated products and platforms deliver multimedia content, such as video, voice, messaging, and Internet-based applications and services to various screens, including mobile devices, televisions, and personal computers. The company?s Mobile Devices segment designs, manufactures, and sells a range of mobile devices, such as smartphones, feature phones, voice-centric phones, and media tablet devices. It also offers complementary mobile software, services, and accessories. This segment markets its products to mobile network operators and carriers, and consumers through direct sales, retailers, and distributors. Its Home segment provides interactive set-top boxes, end-to-end digital video and Internet Protocol Television distribution systems, broadband access infrastructure platforms, and related data and voice customer premises equipment to cable operators and wire line telecommunications service providers. The company was incorporated in 2007 and is based in Libertyville, Illinois. Motorola Mobility, Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc.

well there you have it.

Google definitely going into the STB business.

TV WARS BEGUN IT HAS
  • Reply 158 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What people don't seem to get is that it's not the number of patents that matter. Some patents are useless and others are very valuable. It's not simply a matter of counting patents.

I doubt many people don't get this; it's not a particularly difficult concept. At the same time, the number of patents is not a mere handful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Now there's a scary thought - that could account for much of the value. Google just bought their way into the living rooms of the majority of cable and Dish Network subscribers.

That's indeed potentially interesting. But Google may have the same problems as Apple in pushing future versions of GoogleTV - cable companies and content owners are a difficult lot to negotiate with.
  • Reply 159 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

2, yes, and all of them. How many consumer product companies has Larry run?

To be clear. I don't think all of Motorola's portfolio is archaic. I think there are a lot of valid recent patents in it. I also think most of them are already licensed or in litigation by Apple and MS. This was a defense move. A defensive move to protect Android manufacuters from an increasingly desperate Motorola. I think it is a good move by Google.

It will be interesting to see if they can turn MMI around. I do not believe it has ever made a profit. Hopefully google will find some good executive talent to run the company once they take over. The current team seems pretty worthless.

With all due respect, I think it's silly to label people you don't know as worthless. Does it take a truly worthy person to make such a claim against others? It's easy to make claims in an anonymous forum. But there is one irrefutable fact - those *worthless* Motorola people have designed and manufactured millions and millions of units of products people voluntarily hand over cash for. Can you point to something from your own design portfolio that has been sold in the same quantity? Something we all know?
  • Reply 160 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

how are you sure about this? valid source would be nice.

He may be sure. But we can be sure he is wrong.