Cinemax iOS app may violate Apple's no-porn policy on App Store

2

Comments

  • tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Boy it must be a slow news day. The app doesn't contain pornographic material. It allows the user who is an account subscriber to access pornographic material. If it works like the HBO app, you have to be on your home network to view the material. It would be silly to ban the app being that the person could just turn the TV on and see the same material.



    Further, there is plenty of material on Netflix that contains nudity, which is close to pornographic. Again, Apple doesn't supply the content, and an adult signed up for an account with the third party that is backed by a credit card.
  • djsherlydjsherly Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Core2 View Post


    Yes kids have a thing called parents, and also kids are very resourceful especially when all you have to do is google apple parental controls for methods to disable them from the computer. Not all parents are computer literate.



    Also, people in the porn industry are evil. Why do you think they spoof all the kids shows to porn sites when you search them. heck half the people don't even know how to set up google to not show porn and there are sites that even circumvent that.



    Kids have parents but unfortunately, they only can do what they know. At least Apple has a level playing field to offer some protection to children.



    What's level about cutting out porn? Americans will scream till they're hoarse if their government censored them. What makes it ok for a corporation to do so?



    Google by default has safe search on.
  • iandangeriandanger Posts: 23member
    Same sort of content is available on netflix and hulu, its just nudity
  • mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    To me the non-issue is let it be unrestricted on web browsers for iOS, but no porn through apps. If nothing else I don't want the App Store to start getting cluttered with porn apps and massive amounts of borderline-porn apps that you just know will flourish. Web browsing gives you enough free porn anyway, more than you could ever see in a lifetime or two, not sure who actually would pay for porn. Even all the niche fetishes have "enough" free galleries. Then there's always Usenet for the really deviant.



    Also, it will take up a lot of resources for Apple employees and developers to compete with, screen, etc. all the porn apps. The App Stores have enough junk in it already.



    Plus "think about the children". I don't have any and don't intend to, but this is one case where that phrase is a reasonable argument. Apple has a very strong education focus and I think is one of the greatest gifts kids can have.



    no one is saying apple has to carry this stuff, i think apple needs to unlock the iPad's and iPhones to allow third party stores and downloads. allow non apple items to get installed.



    no one wants apple to have to sell or distribute this stuff. just let people have the freedom to do so if they so choose.
  • wovelwovel Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    Boy it must be a slow news day. The app doesn't contain pornographic material. It allows the user who is an account subscriber to access pornographic material. If it works like the HBO app, you have to be on your home network to view the material. It would be silly to ban the app being that the person could just turn the TV on and see the same material.



    Further, there is plenty of material on Netflix that contains nudity, which is close to pornographic. Again, Apple doesn't supply the content, and an adult signed up for an account with the third party that is backed by a credit card.



    The HBO app works from anywhere. You just have to log in with your admin account for your provider.



    The Max app is good. Basically the HBO app with different content and a bit of an annoying yellow font. The interface does seem a bi smoother, but that could be my imagination. The app does ask you if you want to set up parental controls the first time you log in.
  • tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Thanks for clarifying. I haven't used the HBO application in a while. I think I was confusing the Time warner cable application that supposedly only worked on the same network.



    Glad to hear it works. It still is a non issue. You have to have a Max subscription for it to work.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post


    The HBO app works from anywhere. You just have to log in with your admin account for your provider.



    The Max app is good. Basically the HBO app with different content and a bit of an annoying yellow font. The interface does seem a bi smoother, but that could be my imagination. The app does ask you if you want to set up parental controls the first time you log in.



  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post


    Americans will scream till they're hoarse if their government censored them.



    No. We won't. We don't care about anything anymore.
  • sequitursequitur Posts: 1,877member
    Why the fuss about pornography?



    Most people don't have a pornograph to play it on anyway.
  • stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Porn on a 3.5" screen. I wonder if it comes with the *warning* that objects may be larger than they appear.
  • stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post


    no one is saying apple has to carry this stuff, i think apple needs to unlock the iPad's and iPhones to allow third party stores and downloads. allow non apple items to get installed.



    no one wants apple to have to sell or distribute this stuff. just let people have the freedom to do so if they so choose.



    People have the freedom to buy an Android alternative, or jailbreak their iDevice. That's good enough. Apple should not be forced to put anything on their products anymore than Mercedes should be forced to accommodate tires of any size desired by their customers on their cars (not the best analogy, but I haven't had my coffee yet).
  • twelvetwelve Posts: 49member
    No pornography in the app store. Restrict it to HTML5, but don't make me deal with it unless I'm looking for it.



    The iPhone/iPad have done extremely well without X-rated content. I doubt Apple wants to sully its image with such things.
  • cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,479member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    People have the freedom to buy an Android alternative, or jailbreak their iDevice. That's good enough. Apple should not be forced to put anything on their products anymore than Mercedes should be forced to accommodate tires of any size desired by their customers on their cars (not the best analogy, but I haven't had my coffee yet).



    As I understand it, this app does not in itself contain porn, so the question of forcing Apple to put something undesirable on their products doesn't seem to apply.



    I like your Mercedes analogy, so I'll fix it for you. Mercedes should only sell cars to people who sign a contract in which they promise to never transport in it, someone who is, or has been a porn star. They may also not transport any person who is or has ever worked in the sex industry. Nor may they ever carry as a passenger, a person who has ever had lewd or lascivious thoughts or used illicit drugs of any kind.



    "Ve Vant our machines to be clean!"



    Of course Mercedes might then wonder why they weren't selling any cars anymore.
  • dimwitdimwit Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    People have the freedom to buy an Android alternative, or jailbreak their iDevice. That's good enough. Apple should not be forced to put anything on their products anymore than Mercedes should be forced to accommodate tires of any size desired by their customers on their cars (not the best analogy, but I haven't had my coffee yet).



    To make your analogy work, it would need to be something more along the lines of "...anymore than Mercedes should be forced to allow their customers to drive their vehicle down any street, in any weather, at any time..."



    Personally, I'm getting tired of people using "the children" as an excuse for me/you/us/them not being able to have the apps we want on our iDevices. No one seems to have a problem with a 3-7 year old child having unrestricted access to an iDevice, but I'm pretty sure the same imbeciles would never consider letting that same child have unsupervised unrestricted access to an Internet connected computer.



    Let's remember, little Timmy isn't going to save his allowance to then walk up to the neighborhood Apple Store and buy his own iDevice. Somewhere between Timmy's hands and Apple there exists an adult. If you want to give your child access to a computer, be it on a desk, or handheld, then learn how to make it safe for that child. PERIOD!



    Your mileage may vary,

    Dim
  • gatorguygatorguy Posts: 14,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post


    To make your analogy work, it would need to be something more along the lines of "...anymore than Mercedes should be forced to allow their customers to drive their vehicle down any street, in any weather, at any time..."



    Personally, I'm getting tired of people using "the children" as an excuse for me/you/us/them not being able to have the apps we want on our iDevices. No one seems to have a problem with a 3-7 year old child having unrestricted access to an iDevice, but I'm pretty sure the same imbeciles would never consider letting that same child have unsupervised unrestricted access to an Internet connected computer.



    Let's remember, little Timmy isn't going to save his allowance to then walk up to the neighborhood Apple Store and buy his own iDevice. Somewhere between Timmy's hands and Apple there exists an adult. If you want to give your child access to a computer, be it on a desk, or handheld, then learn how to make it safe for that child. PERIOD!



    Your mileage may vary,

    Dim



    Well said sir. +1
  • jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 809member
    IMHO (not that anyone cares) the deciding issue should be where the content is stored. If an app contains and internally stores content Apple doesn't like, then ban it. But if the app is merely a portal to content stored elsewhere, and provides a content/provider specific UI to get the content (even if the content can then be stored/cached on the device), then Apple should approve the app.



    Things get tricky when an app allows streaming "clean" and "dirty" content - like Hulu, NetFlix, or even Safari. Does Apple rate such apps "adults only" because users CAN access naughty content? Or do they leave it unrestricted?



    Since the only way to buy something from the App Store is with a credit card, and I'm pretty sure only adults are allowed to get credit cards (even if they co-sign for a minor or give a card to their kid), I'm inclined to push this back on the parents/adults in the conversation. Supervise and monitor your kid's access to the App Store. Apple should make sure apps named "fluffy kitties being cute" are not conduits for fetish porn; but otherwise, pay attention to your children.



    - Jasen.
  • applelover2applelover2 Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post


    Same sort of content is available on netflix and hulu, its just nudity



    Some of us want to protect children from that. If their parents cannot or will not do it, I'm glad that Apple is doing it for them. If people want to ruin their children's lives with that stuff, they should just get an Android phone and be done with it.
  • applelover2applelover2 Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


    I like your Mercedes analogy, so I'll fix it for you. Mercedes should only sell cars to people who sign a contract in which they promise to never transport in it, someone who is, or has been a porn star. They may also not transport any person who is or has ever worked in the sex industry. Nor may they ever carry as a passenger, a person who has ever had lewd or lascivious thoughts or used illicit drugs of any kind.



    "Ve Vant our machines to be clean!"



    Of course Mercedes might then wonder why they weren't selling any cars anymore.



    Even better, Mercedes should refuse to put ashtrays in their cars to protect children from second-hand smoke, and only allow accessories to be sold in company-owned Mercedes stores, so no third party could make an ashtray that works in a Mercedes. If people want to kill their children with second-hand smoke, they can buy a BMW instead.
  • lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post


    Why the fuss about pornography?



    Most people don't have a pornograph to play it on anyway.



    you could probably figure something out if you are a "hands-on" sort of person.
  • minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post


    Same sort of content is available on netflix and hulu, its just nudity



    Exactly, that's why I'm baffled this is being mentioned at all. The same movies have been streaming on Netflix this whole time. As well as sold by apple themselves on the iTunes store. And web browsers allow access to plenty that's I'm sure far more explicit than anything on skinemax. Heck, I'm sure Apple's bookstore contains plenty of books with adult material, both text and illustrations.



    This app doesn't *contain* any content, it's just a device that streams material available on a TV channel.



    Not to mention that "porn" is ill-defined, there are plenty of well respected movies with adult content and it's difficult to draw the line.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    Porn on a 3.5" screen. I wonder if it comes with the *warning* that objects may be larger than they appear.



    Don't forget iPad. And does their app feed external video like netflix does?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post


    No pornography in the app store. Restrict it to HTML5, but don't make me deal with it unless I'm looking for it.



    The iPhone/iPad have done extremely well without X-rated content. I doubt Apple wants to sully its image with such things.



    The iPhone/iPad have allowed plenty of ways to access that content, I guess you just weren't aware of it before this came along. And you don't have to "deal with it", if you don't want particular content, just don't download it. I'm not sure why you think that you need Apple to protect you from yourself.



    And for kids, there are parental controls on iOS devices, right?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post


    Some of us want to protect children from that. If their parents cannot or will not do it, I'm glad that Apple is doing it for them. If people want to ruin their children's lives with that stuff, they should just get an Android phone and be done with it.



    I'm kind of puzzled how you expect Apple to "protect" kids without putting major content restrictions on adults as well. And you seem to be totally missing the point, apple is NOT shutting off that content, they already allow it through netflix and other streaming apps and sell adult rated video content on iTunes. And before that didn't they sell "explicit" songs as well?



    Apple has never acted as a censor for TV/movies, and they're not going to start now with the cinemax app.
  • dimwitdimwit Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post


    Some of us want to protect children from that. If their parents cannot or will not do it, I'm glad that Apple is doing it for them. If people want to ruin their children's lives with that stuff, they should just get an Android phone and be done with it.



    Not to get too antagonistic here, but, who am I (or you) to make that decision for another parent? Who is Apple to do so?



    I surely don't want my nieces or nephews exposed to 2nd hand smoke, or graphically violent movies or games, or porn, but that decision falls to my sisters and brothers-in-law. I can be sure that I don't give the kids anything with content I think is unsuitable for them, but I would be grossly out of line to tell my sister how she should raise HER children. I can, and often do, offer to help her with safeguarding the kids electronic access, but only at her request and direction.



    Again, Your mileage may vary,

    Dim
Sign In or Register to comment.