Microsoft reveals team working on Windows 8 'App Store'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I dont buy PC games at a store, have not for 3 or more years. I cant remember when I bought any software in a package.

Whaw, I have never seen anybody so proudly admit to torrent everything for years.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The existence of a Windows 8 App Store team could also explain Microsoft's strong opposition to Apple's "App Store" trademark. The company has been Apple's most vociferous opponent of the mark, calling it too generic to be fairly registered.

These guys are so two-faced though. They spent most of the 90's vociferously defending the idea that "Windows" wasn't a generic term.

You can bet if Apple made an app that used "Windows" in the title they would blow their stack. For that matter "Office" is also a generic term. By the same logic, Apple should be able to rename the iWork suite "Apple Office" and get away with it, but you know they couldn't.

Such a double standard!
  • Reply 23 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Unless you work for Microsoft working on Windows 8, you have no way of knowing that. The AppStore App, is just that, an App. It's history does not necessarily have to go back years to the planning stages of Windows 8. Hell, they could have just started development on the App last month. (and probably did) Kidding!

I can't know for sure either, since I don't work for Microsoft, but In all likelihood, this is just another case of Microsoft following someone else's lead. At the very least Apple has shown them how to do it right and you can bet, that their store will be surprisingly similar to Apple's, just like the brick and mortar stores.

Look at the links provided, they are over a year old, they show internal slides from Microsoft. There are or has been many references to a new package/file types in the last year for a class of apps that will use this/come from the app store.

Pull your head out of the Apple cloud.

All this is from Apple or Microsoft is digital distribution coming of age. Microsoft already has an app store online. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...isplayHomePage its probably 5 year old. With Windows 7 you could buy it online and download/isntall to your PC...oh year before Lion. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...e-premium.aspx
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Whaw, I have never seen anybody so proudly admit to torrent everything for years.

Torrent?

www.steampowered.com If even works on Mac's now.

Windows http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...e-premium.aspx

Office http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/..._PID_216541200

Office for a Mac http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...topseller.true

Quicken for a PC http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...management.jsp

Quicken for a Mac http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...l-software.jsp

Photoshop https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...nmethodOID=103

AutoCad http://store.digitalriver.com/DRHM/store

All purchased online, with no box, all downloaded....like the App store.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    I don't get it. People are complaining about this "App Store". The way I see it, if Microsoft can get a review team as strict as Apple's, (testing apps, security, etc) then by all means, BRING ON THE WINDOWS MARKETPLACE! I am getting sick and tired of worrying about the "what if" if I download a program onto Windows.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in years either. I do have a bunch of games that I bought on Steam which I downloaded.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Where is great wizard Bertren Serlet to tell redmond to stop their photo copiers. His spell does not stop untill he recalls it. I dunno why but that saying has been in my head the whole day today.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    ndbbmndbbm Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aberbear View Post

i liked it when he said we noticed when typing your fingers go to the middle of the screen so we introduced a split key board like they invented the idea not that they have been copying ios5 tricks come on Microsoft come up with something new and different ah well

You mean the split type keyboard that was on the Microsoft origami umpc from a couple of years ago?

Jason
  • Reply 29 of 81
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaim2 View Post

A competitor competing? Stop the presses!

AKA a competitor trying to take a slice of what Apple has made popular.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    I understand that many people on here have been saying that Microsoft either has come up with the whole AppStore idea first or in conjunction with Apple. In all honesty, it really doesn't matter at all. While these ideas are very similar, they are NOT competing ideas. The reason why is that Mac software is (probably) not going to be sold on Microsoft's AppStore, and visa-versa. So it really doesn't matter until one encroaches upon the other. Also, I would like to re-iterate that if (and right now that is a mighty big if) they curate it as well as Apple, it could have a very positive effect on people not getting viruses and malware. Honestly, that can only be described as "A Good Thing"©

• Reply 31 of 81
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Look at the links provided, they are over a year old, they show internal slides from Microsoft. There are or has been many references to a new package/file types in the last year for a class of apps that will use this/come from the app store.

Pull your head out of the Apple cloud.

All this is from Apple or Microsoft is digital distribution coming of age. Microsoft already has an app store online. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...isplayHomePage its probably 5 year old. With Windows 7 you could buy it online and download/install to your PC...oh year before Lion. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...e-premium.aspx

There was also a Windows Marketplace in Vista (circa 2006).

The most important point I think isn't so much "who did this first" (hint: it was Microsoft) but that Microsoft's version of online distribution for Windows sucked.

I'm not sure what the problem was either. Perhaps application management in Windows is just too unwieldy to have a proper curated store. Perhaps the threat of another anti-trust suite cast a dark shadow over something like this.

It certainly isn't like Microsoft are unable to create a consumer focused online distribution network as Xbox Live has been kicking ass and taking names since 2005.

I think they will get this all sorted out in Windows 8. I just hope they also build in the syncing of all apps/data/settings as well.

I also hope they don't call it the "Windows App Store". That would just be dumb. Having the "Windows Marketplace" with an "Apps" section (along with other sections for music, movies, tv etc) would make a lot more sense IMO.

In any case we've have known Windows 8 would have an "app store" for almost a year now. That's old news.

What is actually interesting is the last group in Sinofsky's blog post.

Seems kind of strange to have a XAML team for a UI supposedly built around HTML/CSS/Javascript?

I'm legitimately interested in what they are going to come out with at BUILD.

Fingers crossed for a Silverlight to HTML5 compiler
  • Reply 32 of 81
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aberbear View Post

i liked it when he said we noticed when typing your fingers go to the middle of the screen so we introduced a split key board like they invented the idea not that they have been copying ios5 tricks come on Microsoft come up with something new and different ah well

This was demonstrated before iOS 5. Anyway, it existed on tablets several years ago (not that one would expect anyone here to know what functionality was availailable on tablets before the iPad)
  • Reply 33 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Also, I would like to re-iterate that if (and right now that is a mighty big if) they curate it as well as Apple, it could have a very positive effect on people not getting viruses and malware. Honestly, that can only be described as "A Good Thing"©

If you listen to rumors Windows 8 will have Smartscreen filter baked in.

Along with Security Essentials this won't just kill off the actual viruses, but the socially engineered malware crap as well (which is a far bigger issue than viruses IMO).

Watch for the Anti-virus companies to absolutely crack it and start screaming "anti-trust" when Windows 8 hits.

• Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

This was demonstrated before iOS 5. Anyway, it existed on tablets several years ago

I've heard that the split on-screen keyboard has been around since the days of Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, but the first time I saw it in action was the Windows 8 demo.

I don't suppose you remember which tablets this was actually released on?
  • Reply 35 of 81
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

If you listen to rumors Windows 8 will have Smartscreen filter baked in.

Along with Security Essentials this won't just kill off the actual viruses, but the socially engineered malware crap as well (which is a far bigger issue than viruses IMO).

Watch for the Anti-virus companies to absolutely crack it and start screaming "anti-trust" when Windows 8 hits.

Ah, my delusional friend. You think that Microsoft invented the Smartsceen filter... But wait... Wait until it shows up in an Apple OS, only then will you see the truth that it was indeed an Apple idea from start to finish!
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

You can almost hear the Windows crowd revolting, "who says Apple invented online purchasing of software??? Reality Distortion Field strikes again!!"

... while completely ignoring the streamlining of purchasing process, app rating, software verification, installation, and updates.

Valve made online software purchasing popular long before Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Ah, my delusional friend. You think that Microsoft invented the Smartsceen filter... But wait... Wait until it shows up in an Apple OS, only then will you see the truth that it was indeed an Apple idea from start to finish!

I'm not going to hate on people. If someone lives in an Apple world the first time they hear about or see a feature is always on an Apple device. From their perspective it looks like Apple invents everything.

It's not just Apple fans either. Microsoft and Google fans are often the same. Heck I've even heard of twihards accusing other supernatural/fantasy books of "copying" Twilight's vampire vs werewolf storyline.

I'm fortunate enough to have a foot in all camps (Apple/Microsoft/Google that is, not Twilight ) so I can often see things from a different angle. I know other people aren't so fortunate, so I try hard to not confuse naiveté with stupidity.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Would someone please explain to me how "App Store" is a generic term but "Windows" isn't?

I get so confused? In my next life, I hope I'm as smart as those great guys at Microsoft.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Would someone please explain to me how "App Store" is a generic term but "Windows" isn't?

Do you even care? There are blog posts out there that detail the history of the "App Store" trademark, but it's going to take you hours to go through it all.

I'd suggest to you that trademark law is so mind-numbingly bloody boring that you avoid it unless you're really interested.

At the end of the day it seems like the pertinent point is that "App Store" was challenged and "Windows" wasn't.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to log on? Are you kidding me?

Why make it so simple for the user? Why not Shift + T + Right Arrow + 7 + Make a noise like a cat + Cross your eyes?

Just ridiculous.