AT&T exec reportedly tells staffers to prepare for early October iPhone 5 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's much-anticipated iPhone 5 is likely to be unveiled in a matter of weeks before hitting the market sometime in early October, a high-ranking AT&T official is reported to have told staffers of the U.S wireless carrier.

Citing one of its "high-level AT&T sources," BGR claims the iPhone 5 is slated to launch in early October following an introduction at a media event sometime later next month. ?Expect things to get really, really busy in the next 35-50 days, so prepare your teams accordingly," the executive is reported to have said.

While the report offers no further details, the timeframe is consistent with a recent claim from TiPb, which said last week that its sources have indicated that Friday, October 7th is currently tracking as day Apple hopes to begin shipping the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Has anyone heard rumors regarding if the iPhone 5 will be sold unlocked by Apple like they recently started doing with the iPhone 4? An early October release is great, but only if it's possible to get an unlocked version from the beginning. I've got family coming over to Europe in November and unlocked iPhone 4 prices in America are about 40% cheaper than anywhere on this side of the ocean.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    "we expected an iPhone 5 refresh sometime this summer. We don?t know when the next one is going to come out. You will have to ask Apple that" - McAdam CEO of Verizon
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    This isn't really surprising. The rumors for quite some time now have been consistently saying late September to early October. I'm with you though in that my 3GS is definitely overdue for an upgrade. Unlike you however, I'm not even thinking about an Android at this point. Hell, even if Apple delayed the iPhone 5 until next year, God forbid, I still wouldn't be looking at an Android phone.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

Why wait then? Steve does NOT want you to feel sick.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:

What's pathetic is your whining over waiting for genius products that change the world.

Get a grip... Android is garbage. But if you feel like wasting money and your precious time versus waiting another month... Go right ahead, we could care less.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

Pathetic apple

"I deserve a new device whenever I want a new device."

Quote:

So go buy an Android phone and languish with the rest of them when the iPhone 5 comes out. Are we stopping you?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It's still funny a year ago some people were all but sure a recall of e iPhone 4 was imminent, then followed by a design change early on, yet now we have the same design for an uncommonly long timeframe and what may be the continuation of the external antenna design.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I've heard from a reliable source that AT&T execs informed staffers that they really don't have a clue when the new iPhone is going to be released, as Apple doesn't trust them to keep their big, fat wireless mouth closed.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:

It is a little strange, isn't it? If the upgrade isn't a big deal, then why would they need another 3 months to roll it out? I mean, what part or component holdup is demanding that Apple change the usual summer phone rollout schedule?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kurtmac View Post

I've heard from a reliable source that AT&T execs informed staffers that they really don't have a clue when the new iPhone is going to be released, as Apple doesn't trust them to keep their big, fat wireless mouth closed.

Yeah, here's how I see the first true communication...

A senior AT&T manager receives an e-mail from an Apple VP of Channel Sales. "Be prepared to receive xxx pallets in 48 hours. Keep these locked until further notice. Deployment instructions and an invoice will be sent next week."
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

It is a little strange, isn't it? If the upgrade isn't a big deal, then why would they need another 3 months to roll it out? I mean, what part or component holdup is demanding that Apple change the usual summer phone rollout schedule?

Could be software (iOS 5) or services (iCloud).

There's more to the iPhone than parts.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's much-anticipated iPhone 5 is likely to be unveiled in a matter of weeks before hitting the market sometime in early October, a high-ranking AT&T official is reported to have told staffers of the U.S wireless carrier.

It looks like Tim Cook is still having execution fiascos. This misses the back to school season pretty much completely. Oh well, there's always Xmas.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

I've been waiting, too. I don't think it's pathetic. It's up to Apple when they deliver new products. But, I am very anxious, as well. My wife and I both have 3gs' on ATT (and an iPhone 4 for another family member). But, I'm dying to upgrade and get off of ATT at the same time.

For me though, the October release would actually be perfect timing because my wife's contract won't expire until the end of September. Maybe Steve knew that and did that just for me...HaHa.

I was planning to go to Verizon. But, since they've adopted so many customer unfriendly pricing schemes, I'm probably going to switch to Cellular South instead. And, the iPhone 5 may not be available on their service. Therefore, like you, Android is looking better and better. In fact, Win 7 phones are looking better. While I think Apple makes the best phone, by a long ways, I'm not going to be raped by the service provider just to have an iPhone. Android phones and Windows phones may not be as good. But, I'll do what I need to to avoid being abused by either ATT or Verizon. Hope somebody is listening...

If the iPhone 5 is released for Cellular South (not expecting that), then my problems are solved. Otherwise, there's a very high possibility that I will not be getting an iPHone. And, the end of Sept is my magic date. I should know about the iPhone 5 by then and be completed with the contract. Not only that, but ATT lowered my bill for 3 months to keep me as a customer. The end of Sept will be end of the third month.

So, actually, the timing is just perfect. Still, I'm so anxious....
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Apple is holding the new iPhone 5 hardware to launch it alongside iOS 5 and iCloud, much like they held the new MacBook Air until Mac OS X Lion was released.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Yea. You're right. But, see my reply (#15). To avoid ATT and Verizon, I'll accept a lesser quality phone and OS. Other people will, too. So, I hope I can get the new iPhone on my provider of choice. Time will tell.....
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

It looks like Tim Cook is still having execution fiascos. This misses the back to school season pretty much completely. Oh well, there's always Xmas.

I think it's more the issue of the suppliers not being able to produce enough components for the latest device because of the earthquake. It's not like Tim can predict that.

I mean, besides the Galaxy II, which still isn't seen anywhere in US, there's really very little progress in terms of smartphone hardware anyway, and that's because of the same issue.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    That's probably consistent with all the rumors so far. All we need now is a drunk apple engineer at a palo alto bar forgetting a prototype iPhone 5 so we can get a preview.

I'll probably wait for iPhone 6 since my 4 looks brand new! At least that's my story now! Come Oct 5 I'll probably be on the mile long lines

I can probably unlock my iP4 and sell it
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Here it is, kids, the reason it is taking so long for Apple to introduce the next iPhone, is because they are developing the cellular communications chip themselves. Remember when it was rumored that they were working on a chip to do away with the sim cards now required to operate on some networks? Well they have actually been working on the complete communications chip so they won't be using a qualcomm or some other chip. They'll be using a completely programmable chip that they can set to work on whatever network they want it to work on... One phone, many networks...

You read it here first!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I would not doubt that the date change might also involve China Mobile wanting the announcement to involve them in the new rollout.