New Apple chief Tim Cook regarded as operational genius

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Steve didn't have any reason to pick today to submit this resignation - essentially, he's been acting in the capacity for the last year that he will be acting in going forward. So why now to do this?

My bet is that he waited until the lineup for the iP5 launch was all hammered out. I don't think the rumors about TMo and Sprint are unrelated to the timing of this resignation. I think there will be enough great news for the company in the next month to (attempt to) make the stock market forget about the bad news today.

Edit: Whoa... me and the above poster are on the same page, big time.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Was Woz really an idea guy? What product idea did he have? He was (is?) a very good engineer. After all, he nearly single-handedly designed and built the original Apple II. But, by then, there was nothing original about the concept of a home computer.

Please do not see this as a slight of Woz. I am never designed anything with the impact of his Apple computer. But in his track record, I see a really good electrical engineer and not a product visionary by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, yeah, I completely get that Woz wasn't looking so much to what things could be as he was thinking, "all this stuff is cool as all get out; let's see what awesome stuff I can make!" He did, however, jam an Apple IIc into a remote control. That was big (in retrospect).
  • Reply 23 of 58
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

So who is taking over as COO?

Hopefully, it will be somebody who can execute better than Tim, who has been plagued by shortages and late deliveries.

I think Tim Cook has executed brilliantly. Considering the demand for the products Apple was creating it is amazing they have done as well as they have. The real concern has to be can Apple keep innovating without Jobs? Is there another revolutionary product as big as the iPod, iPhone and iPad in Apple's future?
  • Reply 24 of 58
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Added to my iPhoto library. Never to be deleted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

• Reply 25 of 58
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, yeah, I completely get that Woz wasn't looking so much to what things could be as he was thinking, "all this stuff is cool as all get out; let's see what awesome stuff I can make!" He did, however, jam an Apple IIc into a remote control. That was big (in retrospect).

Yup. Like I said - a heck of an electrical engineer.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drmstix303 View Post

Is that picture real?? Or is it photoshopped?? I'm sorry for my stupidity

http://www.edibleapple.com/heartwarm...ife-from-wwdc/

It's real. And please delete your previous nonsense post.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I feel like putting on sad music and opening a bottle of scotch now \

Thanks for the awesome ride Steve, all the best in the future mate.

I feel a need to gather with others to mourn. Let the others belittle us. Today is a time for reflection.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drmstix303 View Post

Is that picture real?? Or is it photoshopped?? I'm sorry for my stupidity

That photo is legit. It was from the last keynote. It is a major deal because that is the first time anyone has really seen "the softer, loving, family side of Steve". It is also the photo that ramped up this resignation rumor big time. Everyone new it was coming because it was as if he let his guard down. Know now what is happening, you can read it in the photo that he is telling his wife with just a look and actions that he knows this is the last big keynote for him and that he is sad. Keynotes define jobs. Many things do, but when I think of Steve Jobs, I think, brilliant speaker and amazing keynote presentations. He could literally sell dirt as an amazing advancement if he wanted to. That photo, to me, shows that he will miss that "rush" he probably got from those keynotes. He was a rock star in that sense. Cook, I think he will do fantastic, but I worry about his lack of excitement during keynotes. Hrs pretty boring and hell, don't get me started on Schiller. Great guy probably but he makes me feel like I could do his job by his performance on stage.

Sorry for the long post over a simple question.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Who makes the calls on whether to move the MacBook line to ARM processors? Really. Would that have been a Jobs chce or by some committee?

Jobs seems to have the "it" factor and balls to make changes regardless of public opinion. Will the Apple team have that going forward? I'm counting on it.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I feel like putting on sad music and opening a bottle of scotch now \

Thanks for the awesome ride Steve, all the best in the future mate.

Maybe a virtual minute of silence?

Get a life!
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Wow, now in retrospect, everything Apple does is carefully calculated...

Specifically, Steve Jobs appears at City Hall about the new Apple campus... then the Biograph is set for the holiday season... with some speculation about Jobs health... then the timely leak about iPhone 5 and 4s.. Then rumor about Sprint and T-Mobile going to sell iPhone... now the bad news. I'll bet by the end of the week we will see invitations for the iPhone 5 event... then we'll see Jobs on stage.

Seeing Jobs on stage at the next keynote presentation would be the best thing to do to kill this CEO's credibility. Like, Steve's holding his hand, don't worry!

Let's see if Apple is Jobs. I sure hope not
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

That photo is legit. It was from the last keynote. It is a major deal because that is the first time anyone has really seen "the softer, loving, family side of Steve". It is also the photo that ramped up this resignation rumor big time. Everyone new it was coming because it was as if he let his guard down. Know now what is happening, you can read it in the photo that he is telling his wife with just a look and actions that he knows this is the last big keynote for him and that he is sad. Keynotes define jobs. Many things do, but when I think of Steve Jobs, I think, brilliant speaker and amazing keynote presentations. He could literally sell dirt as an amazing advancement if he wanted to. That photo, to me, shows that he will miss that "rush" he probably got from those keynotes. He was a rock star in that sense. Cook, I think he will do fantastic, but I worry about his lack of excitement during keynotes. Hrs pretty boring and hell, don't get me started on Schiller. Great guy probably but he makes me feel like I could do his job by his performance on stage.

Sorry for the long post over a simple question.

I needed a handkerchief upon reading this. I think I'll play Albinoni's string quartet and read your words again whilst sipping at a great Romanée-Conti 1999.

Sooooo beautifuly put. What a great moment of reflection.

Get a life!
  • Reply 33 of 58
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Apple will have many years of innovation ahead of it. They have also ignited their competition so we consumers will continue to have exciting products coming for a long time.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Great, now you got us worrying about who will replace Tim Cook when the day comes for him to step down as CEO!

Is there no end to this torment?
  • Reply 35 of 58
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Looking forward to October iPhone event. It will be the second keynote Tim will give as CEO, and the first one was not as good as it could be. I hope he gets plenty of practice and really shines and brings some of his own personality to the stage. To be sure, I expect a slight change from stevenotes, not drastic, but not an imitation either. Tim can't do what jobs did, he needs to find his own style and innovate the presentation in his own unique way.

Perhaps the pre-announce of ios features was Tim's idea and we will know exactly what to expect a few days before the event from now on. Also a lot more teamwork needs to happen, as none of the team know the company inside out like Steve did.

Once again looking forward to seeing Steve in the audience in october and a solid performance from Tim.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Steve Jobs: Earth's Irreplaceable Impresario

As much as I have taken Steve Jobs to task on things I saw differently than he, my heart is broken.

Since I was 12, Steve Jobs has been my personal hero, and will remain so for the rest of my life.

We have enough data now to compare. We've seen the early Apple with Steve Jobs present before being forced out. The Apple where Steve Jobs was uncompromising with Stephen Wozniak on the industrial design of the Apple ][, especially how rounded its corners should be to combat a more intimidating, "squarish," high-tech "boxy" look; his uncompromising stand that it would have a full qwerty keyboard, a color display and bear the colorful Apple logo that was so costly to reproduce on the Apple ]['s plastic housing (housing which Steve fought for weeks over to get the exact shade of beige he wanted. After rejecting dozens of shades, the plastic maker had to create a customized shade, not in their inventory, specifically for Apple -- or, more appropriately, Jobs).

Steve Jobs wanted the Apple ][ to be approachable by non-technical people; you'll never convince me otherwise: the Apple ][ (not even the Apple 1) was the first personal computer and NOT the hobbyists' kit, the all-assembly-required Altair, with its toggle switches as its UI to program it in binary. (But what binary-programing geek would have any use for a qwerty keyboard anyway?) How "personal" is that?!

Apple invented the personal computer.

"The two Steves" wrested technology from the hands of one of society's outermost fringes (Computer Nerds) and made it accessable and less intimidating to "the great unwashed," or as Apple put it, "The rest of us."

(BTW, the multi-colored Apple logo was even costly to reproduce on paper because of Steve Jobs' uncompromising stance on the color bands. Printing technology of the day made it almost impossible to produce such a logo where none of the color bands overlapped, nor could they leave the tiniest sliver of white between them. Mike "Scotty" Scott, the first CEO Apple hired to handle areas of competency they lacked at the time (business), and who was straining to conserve precious capital, was unhappy about the expense and called it "The most expensive bloody logo ever created!")

But Steve Jobs knows just when to be frugal and just when to splurge on things that end up paying for themselves many times over. The color-striped logo served its purpose very well during the zeitgeist of the time. IMHO, it was of high importance to the fledgling Apple's success and garnered this new startup crucial attention, PR and interest. We'll never know, but that simple, bitten, multi-color-striped logo may just have put Apple on the map, and we may not live like we do now if it hadn't been created. We might be all be using CLIs and WordStar v.64.9.2. (Again, Steve Jobs knows just when to splurge.)

We know the Apple with Steve Jobs in its employ that gave us the Macintosh, the mass market personal computer that changed the world (and changed the way all computers now work -- Apple brand or not).

Then, for comparison, we know the Apple after Jobs was forced out by someone who in the end probably should have stuck to selling sugared water.

We remember the Newton, MacTV, Copland, Pink, Taligent, Kaleida, CHRP, PPCP, Mac clones, and an Apple that barely survived by the skin of its teeth only because of loyalists like me and others who continued to purchase Macs after Windows 95 came out as well as the Pentium line, and the time came when we could no longer honestly claim 680x0 Macs were faster; Macs beset with pandemic QA hardware and software issues and sometimes 1 in 3 machines arriving at stores DOA; an OS with underlying software tecnology that had grown completely incoherent; ISVs issuing countless "System Extensions" with zero regard for conflicts with the dozens of other "puzzle pieces" that, upon bootup, paraded across your Mac's screen from right to left, and continued a row above from left to right, from other ISVs; a Mac with an OS that had grown so instable that it crashed an average of once an hour; a Mac with constant modal dialogs popping up saying, "[Application Name] has no more available memory. Please quit other programs or use "Get Info" to allocate more RAM to this application."; and when one app crashed, it took everybody with it, ultimately resulting in a full computer crash, requiring a restart and 10 minutes or longer to boot up.

Our fierce loyalty made us continue to buy these often insufferable Macs and not PCs -- at a time when we had every reason not to stand by the Mac (and even had to absorb being made fun of, sometimes).

We provided precious income, just enough to serve as Apple's sole "life support" affording it the subsistence to experience only a "near-death experience" for the Company, not an actual death. It was a very close-call.

Everyone who helped Apple out with their wallets during the most existential period in its history, give yourselves a well-earned pat on the back: you saved Apple when it was in critical condition. There is no doubt. (Macs once accounted for less than 2% of personal computer unit sales, and even smaller percentage of worldwide sales.) And that survival allowed for the return of Steve Jobs and for the most valuable company in the U.S. or World (depending on the vacillations of the stock market). It is incontrovertible: we played a critical role in Apple's survival which led to the Apple of today.

Then, we have for comparison the Apple after Steve Jobs' return.

In my own opinion, Apple and Steve Jobs are inseparable. Steve Jobs IS Apple, and an Apple without him is not Apple. Apple is not a place, a building, a set of formal incorporating documents, a symbol on the NASDAQ; Apple is an idea -- a spacious, expansive idea that encloses innumerable dazzling and imaginative ideas, rare, in that they begin as impossible "pipe dreams," but traverse the yawning chasm between imagination and reality.

Technologist, futurist, veteran of Xerox's legendary Palo Alto Research Center, or PARC, eventual Apple employee, Alan Kay, wrote a paper in 1968 about a futuristic device he called the "Dynabook." Back then, his paper read like science fiction; today, with the iPad, something previously entertained only in one person's "wild" imagination, has materialized into a real product. The iPad is Kay's "Dynabook" to the nth degree. Only Apple can turn things conjured up and imagined in the mind's eye into things real in this way.

Apple is about challenging "the impossible" like an adversary to assail.

Tim Cook is masterful in his work, but Apple is like no other company, where a well-qualified person can simply step into the CEO position and run the company successfully.

One of Steve Jobs' many gifts is spotting talent, spotting genius, and then managing it in just the right way. Many successful Apple execs, engineers, marketers, etc. are successful only in relation to Steve Jobs and his visionary leadership, management, oversight -- and yes, even his "impossible" demands.

Jonathan Ive was a holdover who survived Steve Jobs' axe when he retook the helm of Apple. But did we know of a "Jony Ive" before Jobs' return? Jobs evokes the best out of talented people, and this gift made him see something special in Ive, who was demoralized and under-appreciated before at Apple, as "left-brain," "bean counter" executives were too risk averse to approve an Ive ID design that deviated too much from the marketplace norm -- "Maybe the marketplace will reject it! It breaks with convention!" But Steve Jobs is an artist. Steve Jobs is an entrepreneur, a rare person where every definition you can find will say that the number one trait of such a person is "risk taking."

Would recently departed Apple (physical) Store chief, Ron Johnson, have produced the astonishing landmarks absent Steve Jobs' visionary involvement? (BTW, this is another perfect example of when Steve Jobs knows just when to spend lavishly -- like the tourist attraction that is the 5th Ave., NYC Apple Store; like the multi-million dollar store at The Louvre in Paris; like the upcoming Apple Store NYC's World famous, historic Grand Central Station, said to cost -- with long-term lease agreements -- $40 million (another judicious Steve Jobs "splurge" that will prove its worth many times over); the breathtaking store in Shanghai, China.

(Compare any Apple Store -- even the minis -- to the dank, strip mall Gateway chain of stores, all of which were forced to close as they were utter flops.)

Not one of these gifted and talented people is an island: they need a Steve Jobs.

Brilliant hardware engineer, Jonathan Rubinstein, served Next incredibly well, and when brought aboard Apple by Jobs, he served Apple brilliantly as head of Mac engineering and then head of the iPod division. But once again, he only performed brilliantly in relation to Steve Jobs, who managed him throughout.

But since Rubinstein left Apple to become Palm's triumphant CEO (and dissing Apple on many an occasion), he drove Palm straight into the dirt. Every Wall Street analyst was practically pleading with investors to sell any Palm shares they might hold because the share price was headed for zero.

Then HP buys Palm with the added bonus of -- Rubinstein!, and he drives HP into the dirt, in my personal opinion. Talk about a one man demolition team! He's like Godzilla! Radioactive!

Does anyone remember articles many years ago, when at a shareholder meeting, an ornery old shareholder demanded to know why Apple didn't have a product to compete with the highly successful Palm PDAs (”PDA," an Apple-invented term and product category)?

Palm did succeed on a steep upward trajectory, which reached a pinnacle -- or more appropriately, a nadir.

Jobs' answer to the question was unprecedented in that the famously secretive CEO publicly discussed a product confined to Apple's "Bat Cave" labs. Jobs answered that Apple had a full, working prototype of a PDA, but decided not to market it because, Jobs said, he predicts that PDAs and cell phones were going to merge, and the market for PDAs would completely dry up. (Saying this at a period of raging success for Palm! If I could find any fault with Jobs, it would be tipping his hand to competitors at what he foresaw.)

No one should be surprised at Steve Jobs' prescience in the above example; it has happened so many times that his prescience has now become a matter of course.

If you charted Palm's success, it would be an almost precise apex: a steep upward line that reaches its pinnacle (nadir), followed by an equally steep downward line. Palm's upward trajectory fooled many a company including Sony, a Palm OS licensee, who witnessed their PDAs go from raging successes to fodder for jam-packed fulfillment warehouses.

Yet again -- not surprisingly -- Steve was spot on. <Yawn>

Brilliant people have flourished at Apple when Steve Jobs was their "impresario."

Yes, absent his visionary leadership, geniuses, brilliant people, such as the many, very brilliant, gifted people, working at Apple all during Steve Jobs' long absence after being forced out, flounder. (The point being, that with many of the greatest minds and most talented people in the entire industry populating Apple after Jobs was forced out, we all know how Apple performed until Jobs' return.)

Tim Cook has been Steve Jobs' "secret weapon" for many years -- years that saw Apple become the most valuable company in the world. Tim Cook is the most unsung hero in American business.

But he is an operational expert, a nuts-and-bolts guy. He makes sure the trains run on time. He spent 12 years at IBM, a company that abandoned the very PC market it created.

Cook has been nothing short of critical to Apple's astonishing success since he was recruited by Jobs. The two were like Lennon/McCartney.

Tim Cook must stay at Apple as CEO. His leaving the company would be a devastating blow second only to Steve Jobs' resignation.

Allegorically, while Steve Jobs has been the "obverse side of a coin always heads up," Cook has been the "reverse side of the coin" and just as much a part of the whole "coin" as Jobs (except the critical role Cook has played at Apple for 13 years has been largely hidden, as "the coin has been tails down" -- but just as the self-effacing Cook prefers).

With his almost preternatural eye for talent, Jobs recruited Cook, a choice that -- as we have witnessed -- could not have been more precise.

But is Tim Cook a creative, imaginative, visionary leader? No.

Apple will continue to turn in impressive quarterly earnings reports. Apple, Inc. will run like a well-oiled machine. Just without the magic, the enchantment, the driven passion, the vision, the foresight, the legendary mystique that captures the imagination and makes an Apple product more than just a product, but one that impacts popular culture and is highly sought after for reasons many buyers are unable to describe in words -- oh, and a product which sometimes changes the world.

• Reply 37 of 58
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macs2InfinityAndBeyond View Post

a very long saga of modern heroes and their warlord

Any celtic bard ancestor?
  • Reply 38 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macs2InfinityAndBeyond View Post

As much as I have taken Steve Jobs to task on things I saw differently than he, my heart is broken.

Since I was 12, Steve Jobs has been my personal hero, and will remain so for the rest of my life.

We have enough data now to compare. We've seen Apple with Steve Jobs present before being forced out. The Apple where Steve Jobs was uncompromising with Stephen Wozniak on the industrial design of the Apple ][, especially how rounded its corners should be to combat an more intimidating, "squarish," high-tech "boxy" look, his uncompromising stand that it would have a full qwerty keyboard, a color display and bear the colorful Apple logo that was costly to reproduce on the Apple]['s plastic housing (which Steve fought for weeks over to get the exact shade of beige he wanted). Jobs wanted the Apple ][ to be approachable by non-technical people; you'll never convince me otherwise: the Apple ][ (not even the Apple 1) was the first personal computer and NOT the hobbyists' kit, the Altair, with its toggle switches to program it in binary. How "personal" is that?!

(BTW, the multi-colored Apple logo was even costly to reproduce on paper because of Steve Jobs' uncompromising stand on the color bands. Printing technology of the day made it almost impossible to produce such a logo where none of the color bands overlapped, nor could they leave the tiniest sliver of white between them. Mike "Scotty" Scott, the first CEO Apple hired to handle areas of competency they lacked at the time (business), and who was trying to conserve capital, was unhappy about the expense and called it "The most expensive bloody logo ever created!" But Jobs knows just when to be frugal and just when to splurge on things that end up paying for themselves many times over. The color-striped logo served its purpose very well during the zeitgeist of the time. IMHO, it was of high importance to the fledgling Apple and garnered this new startup crucial attention, PR and interest. Steve knows when to splurge.)

We know the Apple with Steve Jobs in its employ that gave us the Macintosh, the computer that changed the world.

Then, for comparison, we know the Apple after Jobs was forced out by someone who in the end probably should have stuck to selling sugared water. We remember the Newton, Copland, Taligent, CHRP, Mac clones, and an Apple that survived only by the skin of its teeth.

Then, we have for comparison the Apple after Steve Jobs' return.

In my own opinion, Apple and Steve Jobs are inseparable. Steve Jobs IS Apple, and an Apple without him is not Apple.

Tim Cook is masterful in his work, but Apple is like no other company where a qualified person can simply step into the CEO position and run the company successfully.

One of Steve Jobs' many talents is spotting talent, spotting genius, and then managing it in just the right way. Many successful Apple execs are only successful in relation to Steve Jobs and his management -- and yes, even his "impossible" demands.

Jonathan Ive was a holdover that survived Steve Jobs' axe when he retook the helm of Apple. But did we know of a "Jony Ive" before Jobs' return? Jobs evokes the best out of talented people, and his gift made him see something special in Ive, who was demoralized and underappreciated before.

Would recently departed Apple (physical) Store chief, Ron Johnson, have produced the astonishing landmarks absent Steve Jobs' visionary involvement? (BTW, this is another perfect example of when Steve Jobs knows just when to spend lavishly -- like the tourist attraction that is the 5th Ave., NYC Apple Store; like the multi-million dollar store at The Louvre in Paris; like the upcoming Apple Store in NYC's Grand Central Station; the breathtaking store in Shanghai, China

Not one of these gifted and talented people is an island: they need a Steve Jobs.

Brilliant hardware engineer, Jonathan Rubinstein, served Next incredibly well, and when brought aboard Apple by Jobs, he served Apple brilliantly as head of Mac engineering and then head of the iPod division. But once again, he only performed brilliantly in relation to Steve Jobs, who managed him throughout.

But since Rubinstein left Apple to become Palm's triumphant CEO (and dissing Apple on many an occasion), he drove Palm straight into the dirt. Every Wall Street analyst was practically pleading with investors to sell any Palm shares they might hold because the share price was headed for zero.

Then HP buys Palm with the added bonus! of Rubinstein, and he drives HP into the dirt! Talk about a one man demolition team! He's like Godzilla!

Brilliant people have flourished at Apple when Steve Jobs was their "impresario."

But absent his leadership, brilliant people, like the many, very brilliant people at Apple during Steve Jobs' long absence after being forced out, flounder.

Tim Cook has been Steve Jobs' "secret weapon" for many years -- years that saw Apple become the most valuable company in the world. Tim Cook is the most unsung hero in American business.

But he is an operational expert, a nuts-and-bolts guy. He makes sure the trains run on time. He spent 12 years at IBM, a company that abandoned the very PC market it created.

Cook has been nothing short of critical in Apple's astonishing success since he was recruited by Jobs. The two were like Lennon/McCartney.

But is Tim Cook a creative, imaginative, visionary leader? No.

Apple will continue to turn in impressive quarterly earnings reports. Apple, Inc. will run like a well-oiled machine. Just without the magic, the legendary mystique that captures the imagination and makes an Apple product more than just a product, but one that impacts popular culture and is highly sought after for reasons many buyers are unable to describe in words.

Amazing post, it's sobering and I completely agree. To the people saying 'everyone is replaceable, even SJ'- no- he's not. I can't even think of how many gutsy decisions that Apple made, during which EVERYONE was bitching and moaning that they were out of their mind, only for it to be obvious months/years later that it was absolutely the right decision to take in the big picture. It's clear SJ was behind most of these decisions. Will Apple's new leader have this stubbornness in the face of complete doubt by the rest of the world, and the insight to hold on to that stubbornness? It's an incredible rare quality and is not something that can be attained through experience.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Message to Tim,

Please get working on a XMac. There are lots of us that need something between the mini and the Pro that doesn't have a built in screen.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Cook is an operations genius, apparently. But he doesn't have the charisma and vision and panache to broker the deals that SJ did for Apple.

I imagine things getting a little tougher on this front for Apple, but otherwise, they have plenty of momentum and a solid culture to run with far into the future.

I hope the best for SJ and was saddened by the news. What a legend.

You know that's what they said about Bob Iger when he took over Disney after Michael Eisner. But the decisions he made and deals he brokered (e.g. Pixar) revitalized Disney. Here's one article of many.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...6/b4020085.htm

Tim Cook has already been brokering great but inconspicuous deals managing Apple's supply chain. He may not have the big-stage charisma that SJ has but I guarantee you, you do not get to be a successful negotiator (and leader, by the way) if you don't have charisma. I suspect TC's charisma is on a more personal one-to-one level and the chatter I hear on the net seems to confirm that.