Photos of alleged white fifth-gen iPod touch part emerge

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My question is implied in those emoticons. Please answer it to the best of your ability.

While it's silly to expect Apple to offer a feature for a display that isn't' being used it's actually possible (to a degree) with Smart Glass, though with an added thickness to the display and additional power when on, as well as potential unwanted light refraction.

• Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While it's silly to expect Apple to offer a feature for a display that isn't' being used it's actually possible (to a degree) with Smart Glass, though with an added thickness to the display and additional power when on, as well as potential unwanted light refraction.

Oh, neat. Like those transparent restroom stall doors that go translucent when you click the lock.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:

Oh, neat. Like those transparent restroom stall doors that go translucent when you click the lock.

I haven't seen those, per say, but they sound like the other kind of Smart Glass that uses no power when transparent, but require power to become opaque. The type Apple would use would be as shown in the 2nd image I posted. I have no idea which kind is represented in the 1st image; I posted it as an example of the opaqueness.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Come on Apple, bring on an iPod touch with 3G, A5, and 128 GB storage. Bring it, bring it, bring it.

128GB - yes please! and A5 + 4" screen.

There must be lots of iPod Classic users like me itching to upgrade but don't want to go back down to 64GB.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

Wrong! Problem not quite solved. The iPhone comes with the problem of paying a $80+ iPhone bill every month for at least 2 years... If you don't talk on the phone much it is a huge waste of money.

Whereas a 3G iPod Touch with a $25 per month data plan (like what is currently available for 3G iPads) and a pay as you go cell phone for $15 per month saves at least $40 per month...

I don't see the difference here. You don't have to have a contract with the iPhone.

Lots and lots of people use pay as you go plans and SIMs. I think it's stupid because they end up paying more half the time, but "just buy an iPhone" seems an appropriate response to me. It's a bit more expensive to buy, but that's the difference in hardware you are paying for.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A parts supplier has acquired white-colored parts purportedly for a fifth-generation iPod touch, providing further evidence that Apple is moving forward with a white version of the media player....

The most disappointing part of this news for me is that if this is indeed the new iPod touch then the likelihood of those case leaks from earlier being for the iPhone 5 increases dramatically. If the iPhone 5 really is going to be looking like an iPad with a curved aluminium back and a 4" screen I'm sure not going to buy one.

The iPhone 4 design is just superlative. There is plenty of room for improvements, (lighter, thinner, smaller, faster, etc. ), without the need to jump ship and turn back the clock to the old hard-to-hold curved-back design with the impossible to access switches, poor reception, etc.

Ugh! I sure hope that predicted POS design never sees the light of day.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't see the difference here. You don't have to have a contract with the iPhone.

You're outside the U.S., right?
  • Reply 28 of 52
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why would it be silly? Apple has always gone through extremes to make things that seemed impossible possible. Even if it meant developing new techniques or spending some extra cash to make it happen. To me it's the only thing I think is ugly about the white iPhone. My black iPhone, though not exactly the same shade, is entirely black when the screen is turned off. So I think that Apple would score extra points in the media and user base if they would sort this little inconsistency out as well. If I were Jobs I wouldn't care the extra cost or time it would cost to make it happen, I would just be annoyed by this inconsistency.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

If I were Jobs I wouldn't care the extra cost or time it would cost to make it happen, I would just be annoyed by this inconsistency.

Seventy years of the psychological ingraining of "The screen on my device is black. That means it's off." can't be changed overnight, even by Apple. It would bother WAY more people that it was white. They'd be paranoid that it's still on and using battery.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

You're outside the U.S., right?

Yes, as are the majority of people who read this site and the majority of iPhone buyers.

But yeah, I forgot about that part because you guys are the last place on earth it seems to get unlocked iPhones. I would still argue that it would be more polite of Americans making this argument to remember that they are in a very unusual situation and to note same in their responses.

The original answer was not "Wrong!" it was just wrong for the USA.

On the other hand if the USA doesn't finally get unlocked phones this year I would be shocked, so the whole thing is about to become a moot point anyway I guess.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

But yeah, I forgot about that part because you guys are the last place on earth it seems to get unlocked iPhones.

We've already had them available unlocked for a few months. It's just impossible to get service on one without a two-year contract and a data plan.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Why would it be silly? Apple has always gone through extremes to make things that seemed impossible possible. Even if it meant developing new techniques or spending some extra cash to make it happen. To me it's the only thing I think is ugly about the white iPhone. My black iPhone, though not exactly the same shade, is entirely black when the screen is turned off. So I think that Apple would score extra points in the media and user base if they would sort this little inconsistency out as well. If I were Jobs I wouldn't care the extra cost or time it would cost to make it happen, I would just be annoyed by this inconsistency.

You're talking about making a device in an unusable state more attractive whilst at the same time making it less effective in use and more costly to build when in use. That's not Apple's philosophy at all.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

Wrong! Problem not quite solved. The iPhone comes with the problem of paying a $80+ iPhone bill every month for at least 2 years... If you don't talk on the phone much it is a huge waste of money.

Whereas a 3G iPod Touch with a $25 per month data plan (like what is currently available for 3G iPads) and a pay as you go cell phone for $15 per month saves at least $40 per month...

True... you could get a 3G iPod Touch and carry a cheap pre-paid flip-phone to save money.

But it adds up in hassle. Now you gotta carry 2 things... even if the iPod Touch is super thin.

Also... the screen on the iPhone 4 is much better than the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    How is the iPhone retina display better than the iPod touch retina display? Its the same display.

A for having 3G... Skype is cheaper than cell service.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalpen View Post

How is the iPhone retina display better than the iPod touch retina display? Its the same display.

Is it? I was under the impression the iPhone's is IPS (or equivalent) and the iPod touch has an MVA equivalent?

It would make sense that they'd be the same, but I didn't think they were.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:

Is it? I was under the impression the iPhone's is IPS (or equivalent) and the iPod touch has an MVA equivalent?

It would make sense that they'd be the same, but I didn't think they were.

I'm confused on why they would do that. After research and development on having the best display for that size of a device, they would change the type of display?

With both in hand they look identical.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalpen View Post

I'm confused on why they would do that. After research and development on having the best display for that size of a device, they would change the type of display?

With both in hand they look identical.

Remember... the iPhone is really a $600 device. It's a flagship device with higher quality components.

They went cheaper on the iPod Touch screen. The viewing angles are nowhere near as good. Here is a video showing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-EZ...ailpage#t=259s

Starts at 4:18
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Remember... the iPhone is really a $600 device. It's a flagship device with higher quality components.

They went cheaper on the iPod Touch screen. The viewing angles are nowhere near as good. Here is a video showing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-EZ...ailpage#t=259s

Starts at 4:18

ok I see the difference.

I guess for me, I could careless to see something at that angle and would like to spend less on a device thats out dated in a year, if I'm going to upgrade every year. Which I have since the first iPhone.

It would also make sense for Apple to make one device that does it all and let the customer decide which route to take it, be it cellular + 3G data or just 3G data (or 4G)... iPhone or iPod Touch or iDecide (patent pending... lol)?
  • Reply 39 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Both have a retina display, but not necessarily share all the other display attributes.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/09/04/...reveals-the-ip
  • Reply 40 of 52
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimsines View Post

the way that Apple uses paint to color the faceplates of an iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad is to use a clear piece of glass and then paint the insides. if what we see in the picture here is white colored on the outside but black colored on the inside; then it is fake. I will stake my MacBook that this photo is fake in some aspect.

-cheers!

jimbo

The "black" (which looks grey to me) might just be a layer of foil on the other side of the white paint. It could be there to improve the opacity and reflect more white light through the front face of the device, making teh white appear more brilliant.

I do notice the ?foil? doesn?t have the same footprint as the white paint on the outside though. Could this be the origin of the ?thinner bezel, larger display? rumour?

I hope we see a 64GB iPhone 5 this year.