Consumer perception of Apple improves after Steve Jobs resignation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I agree. A lot of opinions are based upon nothing but bullshit. Logic, reason and proof usually take a back seat.

After all... we must remember that Steve is the curator of the walled garden and that he doesn't believe in...the American way...

You mean massive debt, continual war, coddling the rich at the expense of the working poor, and less oversight of critical industries?
  • Reply 22 of 58
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    The news about Steve's resignation from Apple came just briefly after the news that Apple had the largest cash pile on hand of any publicly traded company in the USA -- some 76 BILLION dollars of cash on hand, no debt, and a market capitalization of roughly 340 B dollars. This news about Apple's financial stability in the midst of the Jobs resignation, as well as the massive popularity of the iPhone (both 3GS and 4) which are selling extremely well, and now the iPad which is the most popular tablet computer in the world, all contribute to this "public perception" of Apple being in a positive note. Only people closely following the news or with an interest in Apple/tech are really interested in the Steve Jobs resignation news. The average end user/consumer only cares about the company, not the "figurehead" who is the current CEO.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Never heard of them.

How does one measure "Buzz" ?

Not sure how they did it but I would measure it by tracking mentions of Apple or Mac or iOS in the media and on the web and in various social media networks etc.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

It may be that Steve Jobs was vilified by Windows and Android users or rumors and decent in those communities and they believe APple is better now he has left. It would be a foolish perception, but likely a real one out there.

I doubt that segment of people would be large enough to really push the index. What's more likely, in my opinion, is that all the news stories informed people who didn't know much about Apple or Steve Jobs, other than the products. They might not have been aware of the huge turnaround and success Apple has had, as well as just how rich innovation has been at Apple. Much of the news centered around the corporate success and SJ role, which a lot of people are unfamiliar with.

So I think all the positive reporting on SJ and Apple resulted in more people being more impressed with the company. I don't think it is directly related to whether SJ is CEO or not. If anything, we would expect the index to decrease, if that were the case.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

My perception of Apple went up with Jobs' resignation. He's a brilliant guy, but also a prick. Let's hope future Apple leadership is more gracious.

Don't they have a show about him and all the nasty things he's done?

Dirty Jobs.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Like the man or not, he's the reason we love our iPhones, iPads, and iPods...not mention you know the other things...
  • Reply 27 of 58
    My perception is exactly the same, since Jobs is still involved, and probably will not change much until he is no longer in the picture.

I do hope he occasionally does talks, product introductions and such -- he is a fascinating person. If you haven't read "The Journey is the Reward" by Jeffrey S. Young, an unauthorized autobiography on Jobs, go read it -- very interesting!
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:

My perception of Apple went up with Jobs' resignation. He's a brilliant guy, but also a prick. Let's hope future Apple leadership is more gracious.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Shaw said it, Jobs proved it, and I looked it up on my MacBook Air.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    by the number of reefers the person being interviewed has smoked? Esp the Android nerds/stoners

Quote:

Never heard of them.

• Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:

Ask Google.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Never met the man myself. I always wondered about those stories that said he was a prick. It's good to hear from someone who knew Steve personally so that the rest of us now know that they are true.

Tight!

Anyone who's in the news a lot (going on 30 yeas) has done something that someone somewhere perceived as negative. Then it gets repeated. The Woz story gets repeated ad nauseam. Yet, to hear the Woz speak, he loves and admires the man. Doesn't matter the good one does, bad sells badder.

But who listens to the envious. It stands out, ya know. Steve, Woz and Apple are laughing all the way to the bank and into the history books; and not at just footnotes. They changed the world and history. And we are talking about them, Samsung is talking about them every time they're working on a product and twerps who hate them are talking about them.

Sheesh, frugality.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    It's like this. We love to talk about Apple because it is a Cinderella story that just keeps getting better and better.

The Hating Apple Troll Envious, HATE for short,

do as their name implies but they are as transfixed on Apple as any fan is and this is magnified by the number of forums they belong to compounded by the number of rants they make. It is as simple as that. It's an exponential thing so some even end up spending more time on Apple than a good sized Apple Fan does.

And I think that is so cool.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Addict44.

Yep. You nailed it!
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Smells like sh.... ehm a great PR article
  • Reply 35 of 58
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    One of the greatest things Steve Jobs ever did was create a company that has a high likelihood of surviving without him. Many companies collapse as soon as their CEO leaves. In this case Apple is loaded up with CEO-class people in their various divisions. Tim Cook is such an immense talent and built much of what Apple is today. But the truth doesn't come out when times are great like they are now. The truth will come out when Apple hits a major crisis/inflection point without Steve Jobs to lean on.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Consumer perception takes forever to change. How many believe Bill Gates still runs Microsoft?

Anyway this'll be an interesting metric to monitor going forward.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    this post is pretty dumb, glad to know that everyone here isn't going all "WOO APPLE BIGGER NOW" but, actually take this as lameage.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Shaw said it, Jobs proved it, and I looked it up on my MacBook Air.

I don't dispute that Jobs made progress -- at least in the technological realm.

I feel sorry for him, though.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    for people to call steve jobs names and comment on his ethics without ever meeting him or speaking to him is the height of gall and hypocrisy and stupidity.

i would rather have a martha stewart or a leona helmsley, run my business making tough & unpopular decisions and also make money, than the hewlett packard group and the steve ballmer fumblers.

apple went down the tubes without steve jobs at the helm and it's doubtful that anybody, in their lifetime, will replicate the feat of watching phoenix rise from the ashes.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:

That's not 'perception.' Perception is 'what' or 'how' you think of something.....not whether you've simply heard of it.

Brand perception is what you think of a particular brand or company -- good reputation, bad reputation....

If he's a prick, you're a parrot. Have you met the man? Have you ever seen interviews with other notable CEOs? These people are going to be tenacious by nature. That doesn't make them pricks. That probably just means you're too passive for the business world. None of these people are "nice" in the hippy worldview you seem to have, but unless you know them on a personal level, you are just assuming. Beyond that, Steve Jobs is usually pretty polite and indeed gracious when he speaks, but it's definitely cool to echo the things that other CEOs/spokespeople/media outlets say, assumably when they're being nice.