Inside Mac OS X Lion: New Spotlight and Quick View features

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 32
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Mission Control only seemed to replace the "all applications" Expose. For individual apps, Expose still seems to work as before.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    toddjtoddj Posts: 6member
    Is there avway to change the Quicklook background color from white to black? I think the white defeats the purpose (black makes you focus attention on the item.)
  • Reply 23 of 32
    I've been using OS X Lion for a few days and I don't like the new interface for Quick Look. I much preferred the black look. Any way to change it from white to black? Thanks
  • Reply 24 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 41,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLR2009 View Post


    I've been using OS X Lion for a few days and I don't like the new interface for Quick Look. I much preferred the black look. Any way to change it from white to black? Thanks



    Go find the window image files from Snow Leopard and replace Lion's QuickLook window image files with those.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I appreciate the info. Could you please post instructions on how to do this?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 41,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLR2009 View Post


    I appreciate the info. Could you please post instructions on how to do this?



    It's really pretty straightforward. Dig in the Core Services folder in System/Library for wherever QuickLook UI stuff is kept, copy those files, and then paste them back into the same place in Lion, replacing the old ones. Then reboot to see the changes.



    'Course you'll want to make a backup of the Lion files when this inevitably goes horribly awry.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,292member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    Can you explain that?



    Wow! 6 month old post, and I never replied...sorry bout that.



    I was gonna answer that I use(d) DivX to convert to an AppleTV-compatible format, but now looking at their website it turns out DivX can't. Oh well, I stopped using my AppleTV after a week of trying. The lack of supported formats is just too large. Even if I successfully convert video's on my Mac and are able to sync it to the ATV, most of the time it won't play. Or without sound. Or only the first few seconds.



    Photo's I don't watch on TV as they look awful to me (HDTV is merely 2Megapixel, and a TV has rectangular pixels as opposed to square ones on my display)



    All the Internet bits on ATV I don't use, don't have need for it. My TV can do that as well, but that Samsung interface is total crap. Heck, my DVR can connect to the internet as well, but that Humax box only shows that Samsung does not have a monopoly in fugly interfaces!



    Cheers,

    PhilBoogie
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Had not used Spotlight much, but having read this and tried it out, I have realized just how powerful it is.



    Its amazing quick at identifying any occurrence of a string in mail, documents, spreadsheets, contacts, calendar events, images, web sites etc.



    If you can't find something this is the way.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post


    Had not used Spotlight much, but having read this and tried it out, I have realized just how powerful it is.



    It's amazing how fast you can find ANYTHING by just hitting Command+Space, and then type about 3 keys. I use it for an application launcher and only have the absolute minimum on my Dock.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    It's really pretty straightforward. Dig in the Core Services folder in System/Library for wherever QuickLook UI stuff is kept, copy those files, and then paste them back into the same place in Lion, replacing the old ones. Then reboot to see the changes.



    the subjectivity of "pretty straightforward" once again rears its ubiquitous head...
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    It's amazing how fast you can find ANYTHING by just hitting Command+Space, and then type about 3 keys. I use it for an application launcher and only have the absolute minimum on my Dock.



    i used LaunchBar for that for years, and more recently have taken to using Alfred in its stead. now i have to figure out if there are advantages to doing so anymore or if Spotlight can pretty much do it all now.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plaintiger View Post


    the subjectivity of "pretty straightforward" once again rears its ubiquitous head...



    That was the idea. The procedure is fairly simple, but if you've never done anything like that before, it's not for the faint of heart.
Sign In or Register to comment.