Apple readying second-generation of AirPort Express 802.11n

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yeah, I meant Mbps, but the facts still hold. The current AEBS is still getting choked on the logic board from having too route too many devices using too much data over the WAN and LAN. They need a nice nice bump in the processing of the data to push these routers into the next 5 years.

All depends how you're using it, I suppose. A Time Capsule is my main router and handles lots of heavy traffic. Our two Airport Express devices are used as range extenders in a den and one bedroom. We just use the stereo jack to connect them to the auxiliary inputs of a couple Bose radios to route iTunes audio content through them from any of three Macs. I get a solid WiFi signal if using an iPad in bed for Internet browsing or pulling in any iTunes or EyeTV audio and video. Being in the Midwest, EyeTV through the iPad is great for catching late-night TV of Chicago baseball games on the West Coast. All of the Airport devices are 18 months old or older.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    I wonder if the updates to the Airport Express and Extreme also have something to do with iOS 5/iCloud, or if they were planned as better wifi technology came along?
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is it only the logic board? I thought a speed increase is only possible with multiple antenna's and it would seem the device is simply too small for that. Nothing to back this up, though.

The gen 5 can open around 30000 connections (old one around 128)...this was in the smallnetbuilder review link.

The routing speed of these latest batch of devices is not bad compared to the past..having GigE ports, running 450MHz 3stream Wifi and do Print sharing or Upnp/ DLNA is pretty good.

It's not like we need 7600 series routers (or in some cases CRS Series) in our basements. if you need that build your own with DDWRT on x86?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Where in God's green earth do you live?? 30Gbps?!?! You mean to tell me your downloads peak at 3.75 Gigabytes/second?! You could download an entire blu ray's worth of an entire tv series in about 45 seconds!!

I'm pretty sure you meant 30Mbps, which is very likely, but still not anywhere near as common as you think.

My boss has 100Mbps for his Internet access in his condo. Carrier Ethernet with an RJ-45 right in his place, no Dsl or cable modem. And supposedly he can get up to 300Mbps. That's fricken nuts.

The cable guys are offering up to 200Mbps access around here. And with FTTH It's becoming more and more common.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Any news about the new device? When will it be available?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    I would love some news on this front, as well.

I have need of an Airport Express as a travel router and I don't want to buy one four weeks before Apple overhauls the innards.

It's interesting that Apple is maintaining this product at the same price as the Apple TV; in many ways the Apple TV is the new Airport Express. (Seriously, integrated power supply, 802.11n and wired Ethernet interfaces--the difference is essentially software.)

In the meantime I have my $99 ready for an Express with extended range and dual simultaneous 2.4GHz/5GHz radios.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    At this point, I'd prefer Apple start building in 802.11ac into the AirPort family.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

At this point, I'd prefer Apple start building in 802.11ac into the AirPort family.

Either that, or dual-band Airport on all Macs. I want to copy media over - fast - from my MP to a Mini without having to go through my .11n router. Knowing myself, I'll probably end up with CAT7.

OFFICIAL IEEE 802.11 WORKING GROUP PROJECT TIMELINES - 2011-11-30
  • Reply 29 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

in many ways the Apple TV is the new Airport Express. (Seriously, integrated power supply, 802.11n and wired Ethernet interfaces--the difference is essentially software.)

That, and:

MicroUSB

256 MB RAM

8GB storage

Remote

Broadcom BCM4329 integrates a complete IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n system (MAC/baseband/radio) with Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate), and FM radio receiver and transmitter

HDMI
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

Stupid socket - who has one above the other or is that a US thing?

It's not a socket issue, that design hasn't changed in a few decades. The issue is bad engineering of device power supplies. Most DC bricks for devices use a standard large block form that doesn't work either in a vertical or horizontal configuration, thus forcing manufacturers of surge protectors to include 1 extra spaced port at the end of the power strip for those types of devices. Apple at least makes their brick thin enough to fit horizontal placement & in a vertical outlet situation you can flip it upside down thus no longer covering the bottom outlet. Some manufacturers get making it thin enough but put the prongs in the center so in a vertical situation it still covers both outlets no matter which you plug it into. There really isn't any excuse for those types of designs.

If you have outlets not strong enough to hold an upside down brick please or that are generally loose feeling have them replaced. Loose fitting outlets mean they are no longer tight enough to make full connection on both sides of the prongs on a chord. A connection that is loose can cause electrical arching & could possibly cause a fire.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Ok, we have a new AirPort Utility. Where is the new AirPort Express?
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

Ok, we have a new AirPort Utility. Where is the new AirPort Express?

Since we JUST got a new one, I don't see the 802.11ac model showing up until Fall 2012.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Since we JUST got a new one, I don't see the 802.11ac model showing up until Fall 2012.

Did I miss something? The AirPort Express hasn't been refreshed in some time. The Extreme was refreshed in the middle of last year.

I agree with you that I think it will be a while before we see 802.11ac. Apple may wait to update the Express, Extreme, and wireless adapters in shipping Macs all at once...
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

Did I miss something? The AirPort Express hasn't been refreshed in some time. The Extreme was refreshed in the middle of last year.

Gosh dang it.

I've always hated the similarity in those names.